As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Republic of Thieves is out?! also other book talk

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Thanks, @‌Jacobkosh

Got Curse of Chalion (I assume that's the first book in that series) added to my hold list at the library. Should be in my hands this week or early next.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I finished Psycho the other day

It's pretty great

I think Hitchcock might've made a better film out of it, but there's some rad stuff in the book too, so it evens out

It continually reminded me of what a shitshow Bates Motel was though

• Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    Who else here has read the Southern Reach Trilogy by Vandermeer? If you like unsettling stories about unknowable horror it is pretty fantastic! Another great book by his is City of Saint and Madmen

Also I just finished Half A King which was pretty great, do we know if Ambercrombie will ever revisit the Circle of the World?

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    Half a King was decent but I wans't in love with it; the resigned idea that slavery was intractable or even justified really turned me off to the setting, even if that was more "authentic" for this alternative history Europe analog

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    I read the first Southern Reach book, really creepy, unsettling story, I liked it a lot.

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    The end of the series just came out last month

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, definitely going to get round to reading the second and third books soon.

I'm about half way through Kavalier and Clay at the moment, it's very good

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    @Wyborn‌ Elizabeth Moon's The Deed of Paksenarrion is a fantasy series about a female paladin.

I remember them as pretty good, but it's been over 10 years so they might be terrible. I liked quite a few shitty things back then.

• Options
    Elizabeth Moon is pretty prolific, based on me shelving her books. How is she in general?

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Hermano wrote: »
    I read the first Southern Reach book, really creepy, unsettling story, I liked it a lot.

Creepy in what way?

• Options
    Just the sense of something completely alien and unknowable being encountered, the whole book leaves you kind of unsettled, creeped out

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Excited for the next Abhorsen book next week. Really enjoyed that series.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »

Wow, thanks for this. I remember reading Abhorsen like... 10 years ago on a 20 hour coach ride for a school skiing trip, haha.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Shen wrote: »
    DoctorArch wrote: »

Wow, thanks for this. I remember reading Abhorsen like... 10 years ago on a 20 hour coach ride for a school skiing trip, haha.

In my opinion its a very under-appreciated series. Phenomenal world-building, and does a great job leaving a lot of things mysterious.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    Reading Iain Banks' Excession

As usual, the aliens are great, the ships are very cool, and the people who live in the Culture are hedonistic jerks. No, you can't take all your friends, boyfriend, and favorite horse on a Special Circumstances mission, what is wrong with you

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I've read Sabriel approximately a bajillion times since I first got it in like, what, elementary school? But I didn't like Lirael or Abhorsen nearly as much...

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Just the sense of something completely alien and unknowable being encountered, the whole book leaves you kind of unsettled, creeped out

Sounds cool, will add it to my list

I'm so used to "creepy" being used to mean a sleazy dude that I wanted to check.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Half a King was decent but I wans't in love with it; the resigned idea that slavery was intractable or even justified really turned me off to the setting, even if that was more "authentic" for this alternative history Europe analog

Slavery was actually a liberal and humane innovation over the previously universal well-justified and intractable to change policy of slaughtering everyone who wasn't in your social group who couldn't slaughter you and who wasn't really worth ransoming.

Humans are kind of assholes really.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Elizabeth Moon is pretty prolific, based on me shelving her books. How is she in general?

Competent YA/comfort read level writer.

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    I've read Sabriel approximately a bajillion times since I first got it in like, what, elementary school? But I didn't like Lirael or Abhorsen nearly as much...

Lirael is a huge book where literally nothing happens? It's great, haha. I've not enjoyed any of Garth Nix's work nearly as much as I did the Old Kingdom trilogy though.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options

I'm so used to "creepy" being used to mean a sleazy dude that I wanted to check.

Ah yeah, sorry, there's none of that in the book

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Come to think of it, what are some good epic fantasy stories by female authors?

Lois McMaster Bujold, one of the best female SF authors, started doing fantasy about ten years ago and has two series out, "The Curse of Chalion" series and "The Sharing Knife" series.

I wish more dudes on the internet knew about her. She's won a clutch of Hugos but never quite hit the blockbuster level; in the past twenty years, though, she's been quietly amassing a resume of genre material that is feminist and progressive but also hugely entertaining.

I've only read that one sci-fi series of hers that was offered in ebook format for free awhile back, but it was pretty damn good and I would gladly recommend more of her books based on that alone.

fuck what are these called

the miles vorkosigan saga! i remember now. that was definitely the guy's name, at any rate

they are super good and also the protagonist is basically tyrion lannister

• Options

Ah yeah, sorry, there's none of that in the book

No need to apologise! I am reading a book with a bit of that in at the moment so I think I've been conditioned to suspect it.

• Options
    nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    Just picked up The Bone Clocks from the library. I'm only through the first chapter, but boy oh boy do I love me some David Mitchell books.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Does anybody else read the Johannes Cabal series? I just finished the fourth one about a week ago

Minor spoilers for the first and fourth books
    it helps a lot that after 3 books of Johannes' grumpy ass we get a lot more page time for Horst who is actually super fun and likeable

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I do, but I haven't read the fourth one yet. It's on my list though!

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Come to think of it, what are some good epic fantasy stories by female authors?

Lois McMaster Bujold, one of the best female SF authors, started doing fantasy about ten years ago and has two series out, "The Curse of Chalion" series and "The Sharing Knife" series.

I wish more dudes on the internet knew about her. She's won a clutch of Hugos but never quite hit the blockbuster level; in the past twenty years, though, she's been quietly amassing a resume of genre material that is feminist and progressive but also hugely entertaining.

I've only read that one sci-fi series of hers that was offered in ebook format for free awhile back, but it was pretty damn good and I would gladly recommend more of her books based on that alone.

fuck what are these called

the miles vorkosigan saga! i remember now. that was definitely the guy's name, at any rate

they are super good and also the protagonist is basically tyrion lannister

I've been reading these off and on for about a month, they are really great

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    You guys should read City of Stairs

Go on

I'll wait here

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular

I liked the front half of Lirael, and the back half of Abhorsen, but there was a huge drag between those parts.

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    I just wrapped up Acceptance (finale to the Southern Reach set) a few days ago.

Think I said it earlier in the thread, but VanderMeer's ability to unsettle is top notch. Even if you never read the second or third book, I cannot recommend Annihilation enough. It's leading my short list as the best 'new' thing I've read this year.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Quoth wrote: »
    You guys should read City of Stairs

Go on

I'll wait here

Hmm, yes, ok. I will read that.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    To the detriment of my studies, I have powered through 4 of the malazan books and started the fifth.

They are fantastic, and right now, I don't give a fuck about the tiste edur. But I'm sure I will by the time I get into the meat of Midnight Tides.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I stopped reading the Malazan books when I bought Destiny. :(

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    To the detriment of my studies, I have powered through 4 of the malazan books and started the fifth.

They are fantastic, and right now, I don't give a fuck about the tiste edur. But I'm sure I will by the time I get into the meat of Midnight Tides.

Yeah, the beginning of Midnight Tides is a bit of a speed bump for me as well, because we've seen so much of the Malazan Army and the sudden switch to strangers is jarring. BUT Tehol and Bugg are there for you. :biggrin:

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I started reading Way of Kings today and I'm not sure I can start learning a whole new fantasy world just yet

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    The world isn't that complicated. It's kind of video gamey. There are similarities with Codex Alera in terms of how the magic works.

The story is predictable but I still couldn't stop reading and enjoyed it a lot.

• Options
    @Jacobkosh Just thought you'd want to know I'm two chapters into The Curse of Chalion

It got good to me pretty fast

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Aaaaaaand I finished it like 30 hours after starting

That was

That was a real good book. Very self-contained. WHere in the Hell could the story go from there?

I guess I will start on Paladin of Souls tomorrow and find out. There's a copy at my library....

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    The world isn't that complicated. It's kind of video gamey. There are similarities with Codex Alera in terms of how the magic works.

The story is predictable but I still couldn't stop reading and enjoyed it a lot.

yeah I couldn't have cared much about the plot out on the agrocrag, I liked all the other plots/side stories though.

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Well I've started it.

I have now read the first two introductions for infinite jest.

This discussion has been closed.