As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Renting] Thread

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Garbage disposal?
    No dishwasher + no garbage disposal means scraping a lot of foodstuff particles into the garbage, which means taking it out often or having it smell. Just something to be aware of.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    i have never seen an apartment here with a garbage disposal.

Mind you at least 50% have had ceramic sinks so we're clearly working with a handicap from the get-go.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    Garbage disposal?
    No dishwasher + no garbage disposal means scraping a lot of foodstuff particles into the garbage, which means taking it out often or having it smell. Just something to be aware of.

Yeah, that was a downside/drawback. No garbage disposal or dishwasher. But the garbage bag is in a cabinet so hopefully it won't smell too badly.

• Options
    Somehow, large swathes of the rest of the world cope with this unheard of privation.

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    More than one person in a place without a dishwasher can be a real pain.

If it's just you it isn't such a big deal. And most of the places I've lived in have not had a garbage disposal.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Well, I've never had a garbage disposal either, but the dishwasher thing would've been nice. Probably a waste of water for just me though, yeah.

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Grew up seven people in a house with no dishwasher or garbage disposal. I have both now, and I don't use the disposal much because honestly I'm a little afraid of it, but I love having a dishwasher so much I'm even willing to forgo w/d hookups for them.

But seriously, get a can with a lid and take it out regularly. If your trash is stinking up your kitchen, the problem is probably not the lack of a disposal.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    It's after 9 and I'm almost done ferrying shit across the yard. Just have to set my bed up and bring my desk and computer over and I'll mostly be set.

I gotta start getting rid of shit, I'm already abandoning a lot of this because its ruined. Like my recliners, and kitchen utensils.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    We have little food bins here about the size of a toaster. When they get full you empty them into a larger food bin outside. So unless it's really hot and you don't put anything in it for a couple of days, it never has long enough to start stinking.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    I like the idea of a dishwasher, and I have one, I just never use it. Maybe mine is just crap, but it leaves some soapy dust residue on everything in there.

Blame the FDA for that one. No more phosphates in dishwasher soap.

http://www.npr.org/2010/12/15/132072122/it-s-not-your-fault-your-dishes-are-still-dirty

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Kamiro wrote: »
    I like the idea of a dishwasher, and I have one, I just never use it. Maybe mine is just crap, but it leaves some soapy dust residue on everything in there.

Blame the FDA for that one. No more phosphates in dishwasher soap.

http://www.npr.org/2010/12/15/132072122/it-s-not-your-fault-your-dishes-are-still-dirty
    "I'm angry at the people who decided that phosphate was growing algae. I'm not sure that I believe that," Wright adds.

*twitch* Yes, science is just about people deciding how things work. If not for that darn international convention that decided UV rays should be harmful to the skin, I wouldn't have to wear sunscreen!

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I'm really upset at the people who decided eating lots of pizza and ice cream made you fat

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Also: beer.

• Options
    Yeah not going to argue about the algae one, that's some pretty firm science. Doesn't mean you can't treat waste water and account for phosphates.

People are juicing their own detergent anyways now. All you did was shift the burden of safety from manufacturers to the customer instead.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    I'm done moving! Tomorrow I get to organize my shit! But I'm don't moving. I expect I still have lots of trash to throw out tomorrow.

Thank god I'm done.

• Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    Without crazy roommate here, everyone has felt a lot better about inhabiting common space in the house. My girlfriend and I have been running ragged rearranging furniture and sorting through years of accumulated crap in this house, but people seem to be pitching in and making the house livable again.

Feels pretty good.

• Options
    I just got out of a house with a shitty roommate! It feels fucking awesome to be gone from the white trash extravaganza.

Good for you, Fire Truck!

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Yeah not going to argue about the algae one, that's some pretty firm science. Doesn't mean you can't treat waste water and account for phosphates.

People are juicing their own detergent anyways now. All you did was shift the burden of safety from manufacturers to the customer instead.

Anywhere i can find out if this has been implemented for longer then 2010? I moved to Ohio in 2004 or so and my dishwasher has always produced that chalky film on dishes and flatware. It got so bad that i just started using paper plates and plastic flatware but im wondering if ohio was an early adopter of this phosphate thing....maybe i should try mixing my own and see if my old dishes get better.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    azith28 wrote: »

Anywhere i can find out if this has been implemented for longer then 2010? I moved to Ohio in 2004 or so and my dishwasher has always produced that chalky film on dishes and flatware. It got so bad that i just started using paper plates and plastic flatware but im wondering if ohio was an early adopter of this phosphate thing....maybe i should try mixing my own and see if my old dishes get better.

State by state thing, 1990-2010 seems to be the range though. Ohio is definitely one of them, but looks like they did it on July 2010 for dishwasher detergent.

If you have hard water you're going to get the soap scum and film.

Try to convince your landlord to put in a water softener.

On the plus side you'll also have softer skin and less dry/cracking in the winter.

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    I recognized the guy that showed us around one of the apartments we viewed today.

He didn't remember where he knew me from and kept asking how we knew each other.

I figured it out.

Tinder.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    are you sure it wasn't /r/gonewildrealtor?

TheStig on
  • Options
    I've been living in semi-furnished places for the last two years, and for this new one I think I'm gonna have to buy a couch (and some other shit)

I've found one on ebay which currently has no bids and is on 99p so with luck I could get it really cheaply
    but a) it's 90 miles away, collection only, b) I'd have to rent a truck or get it couriered cause my car is not couch sized, c) it says "some stains" (not really visible in the photos) but other people's stains are gross, and d) i'm really really wary of buying couches without sitting on them first

so I'm not sure about it, I've got around 24 hours to make up my mind.

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Any idea how much the courier would cost? I'd be wary of the stains. God knows what you'll find if you flip the cushions. Could always get those replaced though.

• Options
    Kaplar wrote: »
    Any idea how much the courier would cost? I'd be wary of the stains. God knows what you'll find if you flip the cushions. Could always get those replaced though.

Probably could get it done for around 30 quid but I'd have to be home for delivery, etc, which is always a pain.

and yeah I've never liked second hand couches. I do like being confident that the only sex that's happened on my sofa has involved me.

The couch at my current place is so uncomfortable that I'm reasonably certain it's never seen any serious use, but I've still put blankets over it.

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    tynic wrote: »
    Kaplar wrote: »

Probably could get it done for around 30 quid but I'd have to be home for delivery, etc, which is always a pain.

and yeah I've never liked second hand couches. I do like being confident that the only sex that's happened on my sofa has involved me.

The couch at my current place is so uncomfortable that I'm reasonably certain it's never seen any serious use, but I've still put blankets over it.

Yuuuup. I don't want to put my head on a armrest that could've potentially been used as a napkin.

Kaplar on
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    Yea come on, don't buy a used couch you've never seen in person. That's a terrible idea. Especially one you have to drive 90 miles for. Most rental trucks are by the mile after a flat fee, so that'll be more expensive than the couch.

• Options
    Well I should definitely hope so, 99p for renting a van would be extremely worrying.
    (also van hire is just a flat fee per day here).

Also I was having a brainfart, I have nowhere to put a couch until I move no matter where I get it from. So I probably won't buy anything just yet.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Well I should definitely hope so, 99p for renting a van would be extremely worrying.
    (also van hire is just a flat fee per day here).

Also I was having a brainfart, I have nowhere to put a couch until I move no matter where I get it from. So I probably won't buy anything just yet.

You might see if there's a furniture exchange charity near you. When I moved last year I found one in Edinburgh and got a green leather armchair (which I am sitting in as I type this), a big comfy armchair and a pretty new couch that pulls out to be a bed all for £140. The charity employs disabled people to reupholster and renovate donated furniture. They're increasinbly common these days so you never know.

• Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    Those of you having dishwasher problems might want to try using some white vinegar as a rinse aid. (Not in the rinse aid part of the dishwasher, if there are rubber components, that'll cause problems. Either dump it in and run a rinse cycle, or put a small cup full of it in the dishwasher when you run a load.)

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    OK the $800/month apartment was a dud but I got in touch with a broker and might have a nice apartment for $1200/month which includes all utilities even cable/internet. Super excited. Waiting to hear back on when I can go check it out.

The broker said the only caveats were no pets, smoking and no homophones because the landlords are a gay couple that live upstairs.

Aaron and Erin are going to be devastated

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    We talked to the bank the other day.

It's gratifying to know that our budget is pretty much what we thought it was.

Also comforting to have the bank person look at us like we are crazy for worrying that we wouldn't be approved.

• Options
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Goose! wrote: »
    OK the $800/month apartment was a dud but I got in touch with a broker and might have a nice apartment for $1200/month which includes all utilities even cable/internet. Super excited. Waiting to hear back on when I can go check it out.

The broker said the only caveats were no pets, smoking and no homophones because the landlords are a gay couple that live upstairs.

Aaron and Erin are going to be devastated

What a twist!

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    godmode wrote: »
    $400 electric bill. Fucking kill me.

hah!

every winter I hit near $700

effing house.

I'd burn it down if it were insured for even close to what I owe on it.

(don't ask, long story)

Real question.

Are you trying to heat a cardboard box the size of a house?

More like trying to heat uninsulated WWII housing that was supposed to be torn down after the war but wasn't.

They things they don't mention in the listings ....

• Options
    Wait until you start tearing down walls.

Dimensional lumber? lol.

You'll probably have scraps from someone's deck down the road, or leftovers from someone's cousin's house.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    So apparently Joseph (my roommate and best friend) and his gf couldn't keep up their end of rent.

Matter of fact, even including my contribution from this month, we wouldn't even be paid through June.

Unless we can sort out a way to pool together 4k by the end of the month, I'm pretty sure we're out of a home before September!

Best part?

I got to find this out via a motherfucking letter.

So fucking mad right now.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Oh and our cable bill went up a few months ago by $100 because they wanted to add a house phone line and cable TV and better internet.

Because apparently not making rent isn't reason enough to stop piling up more expenses.

• Options
    take all their shit to the pawn shop

• Options
    They don't really have anything of value.

Just a bunch of baby stuff and shitty knick-knacks.

• Options
    break their legs

• Options
    I'm not really in a mood to make jokes about the situation, sorry.

Mainly because I may be potentially homeless at the end of the month over something I have no control over, and I'm getting really scared.

This discussion has been closed.