As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Renting] Thread

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    I am sure this Dating Roommates thing will not blow up horribly.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Its been a year nearly, and I have another year before we part ways to live different places. I think if it was going to happen, it would have by now. Still annoying though!

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Did they try to pull the "we count as one person" for bills etc. bullshit yet?

• Options
    Thankfully thats not happened! We've signed individual contracts and our landlord wouldn't be cool with that.

They do do that with cleaning up though, they both do less than me combined.

Because I like to be clean.

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Put dead bulbs in their lamps.

• Options
    That is my mature adult advice.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Then they'll just steal the bulbs out of your room's lighting fixtures.

This has happened to me.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    My last game of "whose going to replenish the toilet paper first" resulted in like a 2 week wait before we both happened to be going to the store together and were like "we should probably get more toilet paper." Turns out we were both hoarding secret rolls in our rooms.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    I bought a box of 48 bog rolls so that I wouldn't have to worry about that for a while. There's one in there marked 'Emergency Roll' so I've put that one aside. It (and a folding shovel) also came on the long motoride that I did with a mate just to make sure we wouldn't get caught out. One of those 'if I bring it, I won't need it' kinda things.

• Options
    i keep a roll of tp in my toolbox in my truck

very important

i need to replace the folding shovel, i broke that on some shit plant that i was removing from my sister's yard that had come over from her neighbor

• Options
    I want one of these, mostly for the music that plays every time you use it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b60OZhrTB6o

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I keep half an emergency roll (gotta pack light!) in my climbing bag in case of any issues.

But as a tip, wrap it in a plastic bag first.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I take one of those pocket packs of biodegradable bum wipes instead of roll of dunny paper. Takes up less space!

• Options
    edited September 2014
    pimento wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOaEjJz-6jg

Dig a hole, or hack a man to death.

A long time ago when the history channel showed history related programming (long long time ago) there was one of those historical shows with interviews about the battle of Stalingrad. One of the Russian dudes was saying he preferred his spade to his rifle for going up stair wells and killed a lot of dude with it.

TheStig on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    pimento wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOaEjJz-6jg

Dig a hole, or hack a man to death.

A long time ago when the history channel showed history related programming (long long time ago) there was one of those historical shows with interviews about the battle of Stalingrad. One of the Russian dudes was saying he preferred his spade to his rifle for going up stair wells and killed a lot of dude with it.

In WW1 British soldiers each had an entrenching tool. They were pretty useless at digging and they were almost never used for that since they had ready access to full shovels and picks. Instead they made very effective close combat weapons in the trenches since a rifle and bayonet would be too long.

I have an original that was made in 1915. It has a lot of wear marks on it and as I type this I am just realizing that many of those marks might not be from digging.... Hmmmm... Not sure how I feel about it now.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    That's a pretty damn cool thing to have.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    My last game of "whose going to replenish the toilet paper first" resulted in like a 2 week wait before we both happened to be going to the store together and were like "we should probably get more toilet paper." Turns out we were both hoarding secret rolls run a repair thing in our rooms.

I just always kept my own rolls on hand in my room.

Sometimes I would resort to using someone else's, either because mine ran out too soon or I forgot to grab one on my way in.

In that case I try to always replace whatever I took, asap. Toiletiquette is very important!

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Also I'm moved in now, but for some reason my compy needed me to run a repair thing. Afterwards, it decided to stop recognizing my keyboard (except in bios while its booting.)

I am super tired from moving, and this new problem is some major bullshit! I'm at a loss, here.

Also, my wrist is sore as hell from using the on-screen keyboard to type all of this! Argh!

Goatmon on

• Options
    I think my favorite part of that Cold Steel shovel video is the big viking looking dude is the only one using it to dig.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    I love that it's a whole vid of dudes chopping shit up and hacking at fake bodies \

and then at the end "Oh by the way you can also dig with it"

Goatmon on

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I think my favorite part of that Cold Steel shovel video is the big viking looking dude is the only one using it to dig.

It also highlights how terrible it is as a shovel. Shitty knife AND a shitty shovel all in one inconvenient device? Where do I sign up?!?

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    It seemed to do well as a throwing knife. The watermelon did have a small cut in it from a failed throw though.

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    @Wyborn and I helped my sister move last Friday. She's renting a basement in a town 1.5 hours away so she can take some audio engineering classes for the year.

Sister and her boyfriend cannot drive. She wanted Wyborn to transport her and her beau and her stuff, and wanted me to come along for the trip too, for funsies. Sister determined that the best vehicle to do this, since there's to be three passengers in addition to the driver, was a large pickup truck. She assured me that all her stuff could fit in the bed of the truck.

Well, it could not.

Long story short, Wyborn and I made the trip twice in a day

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Our landlord needs us out at the end of this month. His wife is divorcing him and he needs a place to live. So we found a new place about 30 minutes away, but have no one to help us move the furniture.

This is fun stuff! :|

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    He should live like a proper recently divorced dude and sleep on your couch for the first month.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I bought some pretty old dining chairs really cheap because I didn't have any. Now I'm half-assedly restoring them. Well, I started quarter-assedly restoring them tonight, and then I realised that a quarter wasn't gonna cut it so I'm gonna have to wait till I have some time on sunday and do it more properly.

Not totally properly because that would involve a lot of intricate wood stripping and taking the brass studs off the seat and reupholstering and fuck that noise.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Moved into my new place away from campus because fuck living around students especially when you're not one anymore. I forgot how nice central heating/air were. Also I have my own washer/dryer now which is great because I do laundry a lot.

Also two of my buds are in the same complex so we can hang all day. We're gonna get a super router so we can just have a massive wireless network.

edit: tonight I was reminded that it's way easier walking 20 feet to your apartment from your friend's house when you're drunk compared to trying to work out the logistics of finding a ride or like, walking a mile or two.

TheStig on
  • Options
    finally halfway to getting sorted in my flat. Still got a bunch of stuff to give away/sell on ebay, and the study is a mess. But I've managed a serious declutter, got rid of at least two or three boxes of junk, taken two large bags of clothing to the charity shop, and vacuum-stored the hell out of everything I won't be needing in the next six to nine months. Hopefully next time I move it won't be quite such a chaotic nightmare.

YOCoZZsl.jpg

also I have a private balcony and access to a large walkway/waterfront area which has gorgeous views

qagNUCUl.jpg
    QNjosOHl.jpg
    sKBUZoKl.jpg

I can even wave to the swans while I'm washing up.

1kNGt9Bl.jpg

• Options
    Holy crap.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Jeez, if that's the kind of place you were looking for, no wonder it was so much trouble to find

• Options
    Nah, my standards were much lower. I got lucky.

• Options
    Took the trash out today. On the way back, I noticed my downstairs neighbors had a black box on their patio up and running and that there was smoke coming out of it -- I thought it was some kind of electric grill or something.
    I called into them, and they let me know that no, it was a smoker. I said cool, that's what it's supposed to be doing, and went back to my place.

The woman of the unit came up to my place a while later to apologize, and gave me a plate of pigs in blankets and watermelon. I felt really bad! I wasn't bothered by their smoke, and really felt guilty that they thought that I thought they were being bad neighbors.

And so now I still haven't introduced myself to the people who live below me and have their own meat smoker. Apparently I'm the shitty neighbor, surprising no one.

• Options
    LockoutLockout I am still searching Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Also I'm moved in now, but for some reason my compy needed me to run a repair thing. Afterwards, it decided to stop recognizing my keyboard (except in bios while its booting.)

I am super tired from moving, and this new problem is some major bullshit! I'm at a loss, here.

Also, my wrist is sore as hell from using the on-screen keyboard to type all of this! Argh!

yo, I don't know if you're still having troubles with this but

windows 8 has trouble recognizing PS2 keyboards sometimes. it's a known, unpatched issue with a registry fix. if that seems like your problem, there's a couple tom's hardware threads with a guide to fixing it

f24GSaF.jpg
  • Options
    I helped my girlfriend look at apartments yesterday.

I didn't realize how nice apartments were when you actually had a job and weren't a student and could afford that kind of stuff. Makes me look forward to getting the hell out of school and joining her, although hopefully we'll be renting a house instead.

• Options
    I helped my girlfriend look at apartments yesterday.

I didn't realize how nice apartments were when you actually had a job and weren't a student and could afford that kind of stuff. Makes me look forward to getting the hell out of school and joining her, although hopefully we'll be renting a house instead.

Yup, that's the switch I just made. It's really nice not being surrounded by 3 different parties that last until 4am to celebrate Thursday.

• Options
    "Oh hey Stig what are you up to?"

"Not much, just doing my laundry inside my apartment."

• Options
    I can do laundry at my duplex but I have two other roommates and it currently blooooows

Not as hard as last roommates, but it's still not ideal. I'm actually pissed at the landlord for signing this one dude, but he's alright for a young guy.

• Options
    "Oh hey Stig what are you up to?"

"Not much, just doing my laundry inside my apartment."

Oh man, I was stupidly excited to have my very own washing machine. I was just coming up with excuses to wash things. "Oh, these sheets that I've not used yet are a little dusty. I know, I'll wash em!"

• Options
    Got over that WASH EVERYTHING! instinct pretty quickly. Though on moving to Washington, I was surprised to learn that laundry machines in apartments are a thing. I never saw that in California.

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Having a washer and dryer in unit is a major plus for me. It's such a relief not having to mess around with a laundry room.

This discussion has been closed.