As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Renting] Thread

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    TheStig wrote: »
    My new apartment came with a free friendly feral cat.

HJH4Xmw.jpg?1

Are you sure it's feral? It looks pretty well-cared for, all things considered. Most truly feral cats have bites and bugs all over them. Also, they aren't friendly.

Inquisitor77 on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Apartment complexes tend to have a cat or two because of abandonment. I took one in once and it was nice, but had learned how to hunt and would bring me "presents".

Weaver on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    My new apartment came with a free friendly feral cat.

HJH4Xmw.jpg?1

Are you sure it's feral? It looks pretty well-cared for, all things considered. Most truly feral cats have bites and bugs all over them. Also, they aren't friendly.

it looks pretty young. It's got no collar and a set of balls, which leads me to believe it's feral.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    A lot of people seem to assume cats are feral and ok to adopt way too easily.

If you decide to take him in, at least put up some signs in the area to make sure you aren't kidnapping some family's kitty.

broken image link
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    eh, he only pops by every once in a while. he seems to be doing fine on his own. There are a lot of cats around here, and none of them seem flea ridden or anything.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Yeah, my condo complex has some cats. There's a lady who leaves food out for them. Only one of them is un-skittish enough to walk up to me.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Places need to please email me back so I can give them my money and also put my stuff in their empty rooms

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    Yeah, my condo complex has some cats. There's a lady who leaves food out for them. Only one of them is un-skittish enough to walk up to me.

My friend ended up with a cat because their apartment complex had a feral colony with a trap-neuter-release program and she meowed at one of the feral cats and it walked up to her, followed her into her apartment, and refused to leave ever again

Cats, man

• Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Places need to please email me back so I can give them my money and also put my stuff in their empty rooms

This was a huge deterrent to me finding a place in my area. In one day I sent out like, thirty total phone calls, emails, and texts and I only ever got contacted by one.

Ended up looking about an hour north and now I'm transferring to a new store and have a room. Took me like, a week to find one. Maybe it's some sort of weird area thing?

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Nothing brings everyone outside like a complex-wide power outage.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Looked at two houses today. The one we really liked already had an application in for it. We're backups, but the hunt continues!

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    New place is slowly coming together.

So much to do though! I never new it'd be so stressful moving in to an unfurnished place. Pretty much everything apart from the curtains are in now!

Once I figure out how to upload photos from Facebook on here I'll post some pictures.

SharpyVII on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    New place is slowly coming together.

So much to do though! I never new it'd be so stressful moving in to an unfurnished place. Pretty much everything apart from the curtains are in now!

First unfurnished place? It'll be years before you're really finished furnishing, hell you're never really done.
    Once I figure out how to upload photos from Facebook on here I'll post some pictures.
    Save picture to desktop, click and drag picture to reply box, it'll upload and input the img tags automagically.

• Options
    FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    Currently trawling craigslist to find a room or apartment in Philadelphia, found a nice looking place with a well written ad and lots of pictures, reasonable price too. One thing jumped out at me though: one picture of the room still has the previous tenant's stuff in it, including what appears to be a large pink vibrator lying on the ground, plugged into a wall socket. The picture is just low res enough to make it impossible to totally verify that that's what it is, but no alternatives come to mind.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Has anyone ever had to deal with Indian Meal Moths before? Somehow we got them in our kitchen, and even after throwing away all of the stuff thats not canned in our pantry they won't go.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Kept this place in great nick for a whole year, so of course the week I move out I put two dents in the wall and one in the floor.

At least the wall ones are very minor, and maybe they won't notice the floor.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Has anyone ever had to deal with Indian Meal Moths before? Somehow we got them in our kitchen, and even after throwing away all of the stuff thats not canned in our pantry they won't go.

We used to get moth trap things, basically open-ended triangular prisms made of cardboard with sticky stuff on the inside (they come folded flat) that attract the moths and stick em good. They worked well.

My friends are renting a new apartment and have managed to gouge to big ol' holes out of two of the kitchen floor tiles. This is partly due to dropping things but 98% due to the fact that the cheap arse builders used super cheap, soft wall tiles to do the kitchen floor. Seriously, you could put holes in them with your fingernails, and they're porous as all hell. They seem like they need a sealant layer or something, if that were a thing. Developers, man.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    So the first day I moved in here, the fridge was already running. I guess the agent or landlord had come in and turned on the fridge/freezer some time prior, even though it was empty, which is a big no-no. Of course it had gone into hyperdrive and iced up the temperature sensor, which I didn't realize, so when I put my first grocery haul in there, everything flash froze.

Today is my last day, and I have no idea what happened last night but when I got up this morning, almost everything in the fridge was suddenly frozen. Seems like a fitting send off.

(plus I was going to have to throw most of it out anyway).

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular

Yeah, and they're an ass-pain to get rid of. We threw out everything, cleaned the kitchen top to bottom, sealed all the nooks and crannies with caulk, and fumigated and they still came back. I think we ended up having to fumigate 3 times before they finally went away.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »

Yeah, and they're an ass-pain to get rid of. We threw out everything, cleaned the kitchen top to bottom, sealed all the nooks and crannies with caulk, and fumigated and they still came back. I think we ended up having to fumigate 3 times before they finally went away.

Well fuck.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    So I've been in my apartment for 3 years

last week the management came to me and said hey we are replacing all the appliances in the units, if you want yours done while you are there we can do it next wednesday. You just have to have everything out of your fridge and kitchen/bathroom cabinets

so I did that, which took most of the weekend, and got up early to remove things from the fridge

I also took the day off because I have a cat and didn't want them to be going in and out and scaring him etc etc

So they said they'd be there at 730

9 am, they call and say the contractor can't make it and can I do Friday

are you fucking kidding me

I've already spent the PTO and couldn't get it back

Ive tried to get them to compensate me for lost income but they wont cut me slack on the rent at all

this is the first time I've had a problem with my rental agency but FUCK I'm upset

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    So I've been in my apartment for 3 years

last week the management came to me and said hey we are replacing all the appliances in the units, if you want yours done while you are there we can do it next wednesday. You just have to have everything out of your fridge and kitchen/bathroom cabinets

so I did that, which took most of the weekend, and got up early to remove things from the fridge

I also took the day off because I have a cat and didn't want them to be going in and out and scaring him etc etc

So they said they'd be there at 730

9 am, they call and say the contractor can't make it and can I do Friday

are you fucking kidding me

I've already spent the PTO and couldn't get it back

Ive tried to get them to compensate me for lost income but they wont cut me slack on the rent at all

this is the first time I've had a problem with my rental agency but FUCK I'm upset

it 100% sucks that that happened, but I'll lay odds that it was out of your rental company's hands.

I'm on my co-ops board and it's insane how many things that we get blamed for that we have absolutely no say in.

• Options
    Yeah I'm pretty sure there isn't anything they could have done about it

It still jacks up not just this week but my vacation plans since I have to use another day

really bummed

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Currently trawling craigslist to find a room or apartment in Philadelphia, found a nice looking place with a well written ad and lots of pictures, reasonable price too. One thing jumped out at me though: one picture of the room still has the previous tenant's stuff in it, including what appears to be a large pink vibrator lying on the ground, plugged into a wall socket. The picture is just low res enough to make it impossible to totally verify that that's what it is, but no alternatives come to mind.

I got a second opinion on that: it could possibly be a hair straightener or curling iron type thing

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    most vibrators do not plug in

MOST

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    The ones that do are technically classified as power tools.

• Options
    Also I'm looking at moving into a new place in September, it's actually the upstairs apartment rented by a friend's parents and they offered me an unreasonably good rent for the location and quality of the place I almost kind of feel like I need argue the price up some

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    There are some that you can keep plugged in if you prefer depending on the battery level and the amount of time you plan on using it.

...I've heard.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Honestly the biggest argument against it being a vibrator is that it was just sitting out on the floor, those things are expensive and you wouldn't just leave it out on the floor where it could get stepped on and also mad dirty

I imagine

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    today I learned there's over an inch of concrete in our ceiling! subsequently hanging our pot rack was a three hour production involving a hammer drill, several types of anchors, and a trip to home depot, but our $34 "supports 40lbs" pot rack will now hold the weight of an average human being and is going to stay here when we leave

j4mytbsn4vrk.jpg
    d9u6t5dq3gd4.jpg

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Honestly the biggest argument against it being a vibrator is that it was just sitting out on the floor, those things are expensive and you wouldn't just leave it out on the floor where it could get stepped on and also mad dirty

I imagine

Uh sometimes it might fall to the floor if you happen to fall asleep after using it and your body is too weak with pleasure to put it back in the designated drawer or space.

Or something.

• Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    cabsy wrote: »
    today I learned there's over an inch of concrete in our ceiling! subsequently hanging our pot rack was a three hour production involving a hammer drill, several types of anchors, and a trip to home depot, but our $34 "supports 40lbs" pot rack will now hold the weight of an average human being and is going to stay here when we leave

d9u6t5dq3gd4.jpg

There's a cat outside your window.

Just thought you should know.

(S)he looks up to no good.

• Options
    I would constantly be smacking my face on those pots.

• Options
    Sassori wrote: »

I imagine

Uh sometimes it might fall to the floor if you happen to fall asleep after using it and your body is too weak with pleasure to put it back in the designated drawer or space.

Or something.

I mean okay that is a plausible hypothetical, but then leaving it there until afternoon the next day which also happens to be the day you take a picture of your apartment to put up on craigslist?

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    minirhyder wrote: »
    cabsy wrote: »

d9u6t5dq3gd4.jpg

There's a cat outside your window.

Just thought you should know.

(S)he looks up to no good.

that's our catio which looks like a prison yard! we have a few toys out there and there's a dead tree directly above it (we're in the basement) that is generally full of birds, so they like to go hang out and stare for hours on end

11070664_10105643952430949_6722869809928460212_n.jpg?oh=015e40011c5eaf15a4496513ab15de6b&oe=564A07A3

oh also the pots have enough clearance for probably a 5'10" person under the longest of them, which means my husband will just squeak under

cabsy on
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    I'm 6'5" though. I find hanging chandeliers and other fixtures with my face.

Madican on
  • Options
    Madican wrote: »
    I'm 6'5" though. I find hanging chandeliers and other fixtures with my face.

Yeah my dad will find that part of the kitchen impassable at 6'1". Fuck all y'all tall people though, stay out of my kitchen

• Options
    Just had to email the parent company that owns my building because the building manager just notified me this morning of a $61 charge due next month for a lock replacement.

We still have the same locks as when we signed the lease, maintenance hasn't been by our place at all ever since we moved. Never been locked out of the building. And this is after a neighbor told me recently about he came back from a couple of days out of town and got charged the same thing for lock replacement but his key still worked.

• Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    Catio is a great word.

One day when I have cats and a patio I will totally use it.

• Options
    Got that bogus lock charge taken care of.

I can be really productive in the morning when I wake up to being charged for shit that never happened.

This discussion has been closed.