As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

halloween costume help - white wig?

Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
edited October 2013 in Help / Advice Forum
So i'm going to be Harry Caray (will ferrell version) for halloween, and i am having a hell of a time finding a white wig that isn't A) mad professor, or B) a comb over. i looked all over amazon and all i can find are cosplay wigs with white justin bieber cuts.

for reference
harry-caray-snl-jeff-goldblum-24.jpg

anybody know a good place for wigs? i'm obviously not looking for movie quality or to spend $texas. but this mad professor wig looks like shit.

Dr. Frenchenstein on

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    What about a temporary hair colouring? My friend did that when she wanted to be storm, though don't know what your current hair situation is.

• Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    i have brown hair (and not quite that much of it), can you temporarily go white? i think my girlfriend would dump me if i bleached it. (she doesn't "get" halloween)

• EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    Give the wig a haircut, maybe? Use a little starch/other hair product/sticky thing if necessary? (Caveat: I am not terribly experienced in costume stuff.)

• Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    it may be matter of buying a better wig, but the one i have has like tufts of hair, so it really only doesn't look terrible if it's completely teased out.

• CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    i have brown hair (and not quite that much of it), can you temporarily go white? i think my girlfriend would dump me if i bleached it. (she doesn't "get" halloween)

Chalk pastels make pretty good temporary hair dye - Google for tutorials.

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular

most any halloween store will have temporary hair color sprays you can use, which will wash our the next time you're in the shower.

• darqnessdarqness KCMORegistered User regular
    I sprayed my hair black using some temporary stuff from a Halloween store. It washed out that night.

• PantshandshakePantshandshake Registered User regular
    You might have to resort to searching for people that have similar hair. Or, Amazon's selections of wolfman wigs. Some of them look fairly close.

Also, learning if you can turn a non-white wig into a white wig without dissolving it.

• tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    White wigs can be really difficult to make, because you can't really bleach a non-human-hair wig without disaster, and a bleached human-hair wig would be hella yellow and brittle with the wrong toners.

Option 1: Hair chalk-- least effective, colorwise, but easiest to clean up.
    Option 2: Bieber-cut white wig-- can be made better with a good haircut, but I'm betting you'd need some extra weft to patch any bald spots that occur in the wig. The Cosplay.Com wigs are pretty well threaded but you'd be racing the clock to even get the thing on time.
    Option 3: pigmented hairspray-- ehhhh. White can be tough to find (and tough to wash out), but probably less expensive than other options.
    Option 4: pale alcohol makeup-- they make a special palette for "aging up" haircolor; if you can find the right wig in the wrong color, or if your actual hairstyle is close to the Will Farrell wig in the picture, this might be a solution. downside: $$

a mad professor wig cut to the right length would probably do okay, but you'd need to be cutting it with something other than kitchen shears to get the effect in that wig-- those fibers look like they are teased/distressed which is usually done using a comb with a razor in it (this strips part of the fiber rather than the full-on snip of the scissors. You can sometimes imitate this by pulling the hair and running one arm of the scissor across the fibers to skin them off a bit, this helps get that "fuzzy" curly quality.)

hope this helps get you started at least!

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    It took me a bit to realize the search term, but one that would be easy to trim down now that I found it, would be white punk or 80's glam wigs, and they seem pretty cheap and easy to find. ( 10-20$)

new-punk-front.jpg
    il_570xN.163987122-1.jpg
    $(KGrHqJ,!qQFDtWQkcc(BRJeOdbt,!~~60_3.JPG

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
This discussion has been closed.