As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Citizen/Squadron 42 | Go Find the New Thread

TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEONRegistered User regular
edited March 2014 in Games and Technology
This is an old thread: find a newer one here

Penny Arcade Fleet Spreadsheet
(Top Secret)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=t1Zc2oxijVY
(Be sure to watch the full length trailer)

starcitizenlogo.jpg

Star Citizen is Chris Roberts' new game. Chris Roberts is the guy behind Wing Commander and Starlancer. He left years before Freelancer came out so don't blame that shit on him. It's totally self-published and it's doing the whole crowdfunding thing, but he's skipping Kickstarter. He'll just ask for money straight up from people. He also has normal investors.

The game is running on a modified version of the CryEngine. It looks fucking awesome. This is a one hour presentation he gave at GDC where Chris Roberts talks about the game, shows off gameplay, and makes your panties wet with desire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vhRQPhL1YU

Star Citizen is a space sim. You'll fly around in spaceships shooting space laser at space aliens in space. There's a persistent multiplayer universe that generates instanced battles for 60-100 players, and there's also an offline mode if you want to play single player or coop. If you want to play in the persistent universe though, you can be an explorer or maybe a trader and stuff like that. You can buy a big ship with turrets and friends can man the turrets. For example:
The persistent universe, Roberts tells me, will feature instanced combat scenarios with 60 to 100 players. It will also have a fully simulated economy, and regular updates to add content and permanently change the spacescape. Additionally, players will influence the universe with a ship and item marketplace similar to that in Team Fortress 2, as well as with in-game actions.
The single player campaign is called "Squadron 42" and it will basically be like Wing Commander, except with coop.

The universe is inspired by Ancient Rome and the single player campaign is inspired by the fall of Ancient Rome. The game is called Star Citizen because "citizenship" is going to be an important characteristic: you can choose to be a citizen of the empire if you want, or you can be a pirate or whatever. One way to earn citizenship is to join the military; another is to buy it.

The game will be open to modding, and it will let you run your own private servers (like Freelancer, actually). He wants to keep constantly updating the game, though (he sees it as closer to a TV series, with a constant series of updates, rather than a movie). And sometimes they won't tell players when they add new content, like a new star system, which means that a player can be flying around, scout the new star system, and then sell the information in their nav system to one of the big corporations. Then the star system is named after you. KICKASS.

sc_4.jpg

More Information

TychoCelchuuu on

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    No new OP for the thread because honestly this thing is like 2 years away or whatever so I'll have plenty of time to write a fancier OP later.

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    It might not hurt to add something about the hangar module though.

*Edit* Which I just did so whatever.

yossarian_lives on
    "I see everything twice!"

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    The new Aurora brochure is great. I am keeping my LN now, not switching to an Avenger. Some cool things I saw in the brochure:

- auroras and constellations can share equipment and upgrades
    - there is another reference to MobiGlas, indicating that the Aurora's displays can be linked up with it.
    - kind of confused about this, there is an inconsistency in the stats between each ship's dedicated page and the comparison page, for instance the engine types for all but one Aurora are listed as TR3. The LN's page says it has two TR2 engines which is the best of any Aurora.
    - the Auroras have the fastest insurance claim turnaround, kind of already known

Reading these brochures makes me feel like I'm shopping for an actual ship to buy.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    2 TR2 engines is a typo from what I hear.

*Edit* It is a typo because the comparison page in the brochure says TR3 on every version and the model in the hangar only has one engine. LN is still the most pimp aurora variant though.

yossarian_lives on

• Options
    FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    What I love about the Avenger is that it has two seats and a neat cargo ramp in the back for whatever else you have. On the wiki page it mentioned the Avenger is the starter ship in Squadron 42, so I figured I'd just get one in-game instead of buying it and keep only one pledge ship with LTI.

In my opinion the next prettiest thing to the Avenger is the Retaliator.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    Funny you say that because several people on the official forums are convinced the Avenger is deeply flawed and worthless for any endeavor. Specifically they mention the cockpit and the cargo area as the worst aspects of the design. Something about the lack of beds and space used for the cargo area makes idiots froth at the mouth. So far I think the Avenger is actually my favorite ship. I like it even better than my Constellation.

• Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Avenger is my favorite ship. I will hunt many bounties with it.

The only issue I have is the front cannon, it looks like it should be a Type 2 but it's a Type 1.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Hornets for days...mixed with Gladiators

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    The front gun on the Avenger looks like it should be able to be controlled by the co-pilot. How cool would that be?

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    It would be cool, but at the moment it's literally just a seat. Maybe the model's not done, but it doesn't look like they'll be doing much in the back seat. Even the prisoners in the hold at least get to stretch their legs a little.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I wish the front seat on the Avenger was the gunner seat and the back seat was the pilot seat.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    No new OP for the thread because honestly this thing is like 2 years away or whatever so I'll have plenty of time to write a fancier OP later.

I'd seriously recommend putting Elvenshae's LTI scam deal in the OP though.

Also, regarding the lack of beds in ships, what stops you from putting one in? The avenger has an empty bay. Surely you can fill it as you please? I don't know though.

• Options
    That's my portable Man Cave. Flat screens, computer, console, recliner. I'm set, baby!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
    Is there a way to get there from the cockpit?

• Options
    Hopefully a sweet trapdoor.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Zerocz wrote: »
    Is there a way to get there from the cockpit?

Doesn't look like it at the moment. There's also no docking ports that I can discern on mine...

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    It seems people want homogenization in ship design, that is, all ships having cockpits that have access to living quarters like the 300i and Aurora. The Avenger is one of just four ships that has a fully enclosed cockpit like the Hornet. I think that's where much of the discontent comes from.

As for the second seat and the main cannon. The current version of the Avenger we have access to appears to be the training variant which means the second seat would be for an instructor. The main cannon is supposed to be a class 1. I'm not really sure why they designed it to look more like a turret. The concept art in the subscriber's vault has main cannons that look more beefy and less like turrets.

• Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    I'm not sure what the issue is, not all ships can have living/sleeping quarters. especially the military ships

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I don't have issue with the seperated cockpit on the avenger. I just wish the back seat had some utility.

I still see the Avenger's role as being a fast assault vehicle. Like a heavily armed Blackhawk.

• Options
    Again, the two seater is a training variant most likely designed for the single player campaign. Plus they might add more to the cockpit. Hell, the Constellation's cockpit still isn't complete.

• Options
    Gameplay-wise, I always hated the gimbaled guns in Wing Commander, sure, it was awesome fun, but it just made the game way too easy. Every trigger press was an "I win" button. took all the fun out of dogfighting.

so not having a gimbaled gun in the Avenger or any other ship is definitely not a deal breaker for me.

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    Again, the two seater is a training variant most likely designed for the single player campaign. Plus they might add more to the cockpit. Hell, the Constellation's cockpit still isn't complete.

It's the first ship you pilot with your trainer.

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    VoodooV wrote: »
    Gameplay-wise, I always hated the gimbaled guns in Wing Commander, sure, it was awesome fun, but it just made the game way too easy. Every trigger press was an "I win" button. took all the fun out of dogfighting.

so not having a gimbaled gun in the Avenger or any other ship is definitely not a deal breaker for me.

Well you can always put class 1 guns in the class 2 mounts. Unless they changed it, shit changes all the time. You gain extra punch that way.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

Also, regarding the lack of beds in ships, what stops you from putting one in? The avenger has an empty bay. Surely you can fill it as you please? I don't know though.

I think it's the fact that if you're mid-flight you'd have to go on an EVA to get to the space bathroom, whereas in other ships you could just walk there from the cockpit.

I think people are wanting the ship to be something it isn't. It's not designed as a ship you can live in, it's designed as a fighter.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Syngyne wrote: »

I think it's the fact that if you're mid-flight you'd have to go on an EVA to get to the space bathroom, whereas in other ships you could just walk there from the cockpit.

I think people are wanting the ship to be something it isn't. It's not designed as a ship you can live in, it's designed as a fighter.
    Yeah, pretty much. If I'm in a van, I can access all my stuff while I'm parked without getting out of the car. If I'm in a 2 door sedan I have to get out of the car and open the trunk if I want to get to my suitcase or whatever. That's just how it works! I don't buy a 2 door car and expect it to have all the features of a van, and I don't buy a van and expect it to have all the features of a 2 door car. The van will be better at some stuff and the 2 door car will be better at other stuff. People just feel entitled to whine about anything and everything because, well, welcome to the Internet, and welcome also to the insular community of nerddom. Also people have paid lots of money for these ships as part of a crowdfunding effort so they probably think that it's Chris Roberts' job to personally do what they say.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Better analogy then the 2 door car: Cargo van with a partition between the two seats up front and the cargo area in back. Sure, my current cargo van has a door in that partition, but my last one didn't. I had to get out to get into the cargo area.

1zwb.jpg

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    Speaking of the Avenger, who here is a qualified Space Geico agent that can help me turn it into a ForeverShip(tm)?

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Sounds like the complainers were expecting the Avenger to be the white hat mirror to the Cutlass the same way the Caterpillar is marketed as the evil twin of the Freelancer.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Sounds like the complainers were expecting the Avenger to be the white hat mirror to the Cutlass the same way the Caterpillar is marketed as the evil twin of the Freelancer.

Isn't the Cutlass rather a pirate mirror of the Freelancer, while the Caterpillar is a pirate mirror to the Constellation?

The Avenger seems to fall into the workhorse category, while the 300i series (which is the most similar in tonnage/capabilities) is more of a prize stallion. They're both horses. If you know what I mean.

I love how this idea shows in the Avenger's model/skin... the default version in our hangars right now looks like it's seen a lot of use, kind of a like an airliner with a lot of mileage under its belt. Sleek form, functional engineering.

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    Syngyne wrote: »
    Speaking of the Avenger, who here is a qualified Space Geico agent that can help me turn it into a ForeverShip(tm)?

Never done it, but I could. Let me know if no one else bites.

• Options
    I could also launder a space ship.

• Options
    HellboreHellbore A bad, bad man Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Someone managed to mod the hanger to load up a new area where the ships can be flown

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvJ4u2zmcI4

Instructions in here apparently: http://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/1orlz9/just_flying_my_hornet_in_space_d/

Hellbore on
  • Options
    Aw. Avenger won't fly because it doesn't have a main engine implemented.

Also apparently the stairs arw permanently attached to it o_O

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    The dude that keeps making those kickass videos was offered a job by CIG. Makes me wish I was talented or had anything approaching useful skills.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Cabezone wrote: »
    VoodooV wrote: »

Well you can always put class 1 guns in the class 2 mounts. Unless they changed it, shit changes all the time. You gain extra punch that way.

well I doubt the implementation will be the same as it was in WC3 and WC4. Plus we're talking single player vs multiplayer so when push comes to shove, I'll use whatever gives me the best chance to beat my opponent. Heck, even in WC3 and 4 the auto-track was useless if your target was fast enough or turning sharply, but many times, the AI would fly straight which meant the auto-track had an easy time with them. That and you could turn off the auto-track if you wanted.

So we just won't really know until the alpha. All I'm saying is that as awesome as the Excalibur and the Dragon were in WC3/4 They just made the game way too easy. I think they came right after TIE Fighter too where the game demanded some rather intense dogfighting and precise aiming. (clearing a minefield in a TIE Int anyone? :) )

VoodooV on
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Huh, one of my Hornets is missing from my hangar

EDIT: looks like it's my F7A according to the holotable

VoodooV on
  • Options
    Found a pretty cool thread on exploration. Seeing as how community polling shows a high interest in this area of the game I thought I'd post a link.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Nice link, thanks.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Hmm I'm wondering if I should upgrade my Aurora LX, or get an the Aurora LN as an add-on ship.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Hmm I'm wondering if I should upgrade my Aurora LX, or get an the Aurora LN as an add-on ship.

More ships for the shame fleet!

wWuzwvJ.png