As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Monday, October 21, 2013 - Unicology

13»

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    In many artist's careers there is a piece or event where future academics will point to as when the artist went batshit crazy.

This may be that event. But it is quite glorious regardless.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    Seileigh wrote: »
    I guess it's just me, I was hoping for a Dead Space Unitology joke, but with unicorns. A blessing of Unitologists would be interesting.

We've already seen how they bless a mining ship, a space station, and a Lost Planet game.

I suppose they could pull that off in a Dead Space game set somewhere that has a zoo and a rhino to necromorph up. (shudder)

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    Gabe in the middle panel reminds me of Troy in this scene where he says "Glee literally means Glee"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=px7huBM3P2Q

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    It's shocking to me that anyone would look at panel 2 and think that the art in this strip was intended to be taken seriously.

• Options
    ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    It's shocking to me that anyone would look at panel 2 and think that the art in this strip was intended to be taken seriously.

Eh, it's the internet. There's literally nothing anyone can say on it that'll shock me anymore.

Like, a guy could come on here and rant for 20000 words that The Wire is incredibly racially offensive to Inuit people and blame it on that "secret Zoroastrian *Illizardnazi OBAMA", and I'd just nod my head and move on to the next zany crumb that is the internet.

*Illizardnazis are a secretive species/organization compromised of a malevolent, space-faring reptilian race, the masterminds behind a diabolical, global plot to hide the Earth's true "flat" nature. Their name is a combination of "Illuminati" "lizards" and "nazis", as they are in fact the Illuminati, the dark puppet masters pulling the most sinister strings of our world, reptiles (or reptile "like" given their extraterrestrial origin), and are clearly nazis, because any being so purely evil must also be a nazi.
    I came up with the idea of the Illizardnazis probably a decade ago, while learning of the Flat Earth Society's existence... because of course the internet also has people who are dedicated to believing that the Earth actually is flat, and that the knowledge is being covered up by the Illuminati and/or fucking space lizards.

People taking panel two serious, by comparison, seems completely sane and rational.
    Why doesn't the FES have their own thread here? I want to spend more time talking about the Illizardnazis' plan to melt the global ice wall and harvest humanity as we're sent twirling out into space.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    This was my second favourite Unicorn-related comic strip that I saw on Monday.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Also, I wish they'd make a wallpaper of the second panel.

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Second panel Gabe is a masterpiece for the ages. Third panel Gabe kinda lacks character coherency.

I made up all those words and they mean exactly what you want them to.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    roflstomproflstomp Registered User regular
    Comradebot wrote: »
    Eh, it's the internet. There's literally nothing anyone can say on it that'll shock me anymore.

Like, a guy could come on here and rant for 20000 words that The Wire is incredibly racially offensive to Inuit people and blame it on that "secret Zoroastrian *Illizardnazi OBAMA", and I'd just nod my head and move on to the next zany crumb that is the internet.

[...]

People taking panel two serious, by comparison, seems completely sane and rational.

It seems like you can't really have a differing opinion here. We say we're not entirely thrilled by the current style of the comic (we know this strip's specific style of Gabe is intentional FFS, I'm talking the general style), and it's like we just get shouted down. We're not saying they suck and we're leaving forever. Just saying we prefer a different drawing style that Mike has employed before.

I'm 99% sure that Mike Krahulik would tell any of us, in no uncertain terms, that he did not like how something looked for reasons other than being malicious. They've got a damned web show about doing that very thing FFS. Is it really so hard to believe that some PA fans could do the same thing? :-/

Go go groupthink!

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    You people should hounded unto the ends of the earth and cast into the pit.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    donguesdongues Registered User new member
    Tss_fan wrote: »
    I am glad im not the only one commenting on the art this time. Is this Mike Experimenting or have there been guest artists that we arent told about because the past few weeks there have been a lot of "this doenst look like mike" comics.

Are we going to see a blog post like we did with the trenches or PVP where they say "you have been looking at a different artist the whole time and didnt know it" to which everyone replies, "Ahhh yeah, we noticed, we even talked about it"

Yeah, I don't know what it is. I'd kind of assumed guest artists, possibly Cagle since she came on, but who knows. Could just be experimenting, but if so...

d2RJqfr.jpg

UAR71cN.jpg

I don't even... heads aren't SHAPED like that.

• Options
    roflstomproflstomp Registered User regular
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    You people should hounded unto the ends of the earth and cast into the pit.

"You people" ? Sir, this is a very difficult time for our country! [insert taser here]

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    This just in: comics are not draw with 1 to 1 human accuracy. Riots in the streets.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    mew4ever23mew4ever23 Registered User new member
    The art in this one's really wierd. Also, Gabes hips look really odd in the 1st panel.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    roflstomp wrote: »
    Comradebot wrote: »

[...]

It seems like you can't really have a differing opinion here. We say we're not entirely thrilled by the current style of the comic (we know this strip's specific style of Gabe is intentional FFS, I'm talking the general style), and it's like we just get shouted down. We're not saying they suck and we're leaving forever. Just saying we prefer a different drawing style that Mike has employed before.

I'm 99% sure that Mike Krahulik would tell any of us, in no uncertain terms, that he did not like how something looked for reasons other than being malicious. They've got a damned web show about doing that very thing FFS. Is it really so hard to believe that some PA fans could do the same thing? :-/

Go go groupthink!

Your posts on this topic have been reasonable, but you can't ignore the fact that a lot of the people posting in this thread have gone off to goose land, saying that Gabe is drawing bad on purpose, or that he's on drugs, or that he's betrayed their trust and they can never read the comic again. If those people are getting mocked for being silly, don't act like we're talking about you personally.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    I love how every time something changes, they are accused of sneaking in a guest artist. I think they must have a supply of them in a pen somewhere in the basement. After one strip they shoot them in the head and mulch them. It's the only way they could have that many guest artists without someone letting it slip.

• Options
    PreciousBodilyFluidsPreciousBodilyFluids Registered User regular
    The art was hilarious, sorry fellas

I'm always confused by the people here who read a comic, see that something about the art is different (clearly for comedic purposes in this case), and then flip out over that, say they don't "get it", or that real people don't look like that.

I just

You're reading a silly comic here, maybe don't take it too serious

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    (I believe that) Gabe is absolutely trolling here, in response to some of the recent comments/complaints.
    I shrug and move on. Isn't that how we're supposed to respond to trolling?

• Options
    edited October 2013
    (I believe that) Gabe is absolutely trolling here, in response to some of the recent comments/complaints.

No man

He just made a funny comic with fitting art

See, this is exactly what I mean. Nobody is trolling anyone. How do you even reach this conclusion? Gabe is experimenting with art and it's very clearly done for humorous purposes and fits the tone of the comic very well.

Jeez

PreciousBodilyFluids on
  • Options
    SmoogySmoogy Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Funny to you, maybe. Doesn't have to be everyone's cup of tea. I didn't particularly care for the second panel, but it didn't inspire me to change any habits or really affect me in any way. I'll just read the new one tomorrow.

But you know what...I just realized what Panel 2 really reminds me of. Does anyone remember when Homer gets charged with being a sexual predator for grabbing a gummy statue off the babysitter's bum? The sexual predator tv show then freeze frames his face at a funny moment and makes him out to be a monster. Boom, I found it!

Homer+Rock+Bottom.jpg

Now I like the comic more!

Smoogy on
    Smoogy-1689
    3DS Friend Code: 1821-8991-4141
    PAD ID: 376,540,262

• Options
    dongues wrote: »
    Tss_fan wrote: »
    I am glad im not the only one commenting on the art this time. Is this Mike Experimenting or have there been guest artists that we arent told about because the past few weeks there have been a lot of "this doenst look like mike" comics.

Are we going to see a blog post like we did with the trenches or PVP where they say "you have been looking at a different artist the whole time and didnt know it" to which everyone replies, "Ahhh yeah, we noticed, we even talked about it"

Yeah, I don't know what it is. I'd kind of assumed guest artists, possibly Cagle since she came on, but who knows. Could just be experimenting, but if so...

d2RJqfr.jpg

UAR71cN.jpg

Frankly, it's about time we put our cartoon artists under greater scrutiny.

1242572809242.jpg

Uh yeah, living sponges don't look like that, sorry.

CH860525_JPG.jpg

And what is this shit? Those aren't real faces. That hair. The huge mouth. The oversized and impossibly shaped tongue. No no no.

Bill? More like Fail Watterson

• Options
    Jacques L'HommeJacques L'Homme BAH! He was a rank amateur compared to, DR. COLOSSUS!Registered User regular
    You know something?

You know what?

I don't think it's trolling if it's your comic.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    The term for crazy impossible faces like that in comics is "wild take". A term I learned from an episode of Tiny Toons.

• Options
    Every time I go back to look at that second panel, every single time, I giggle.

If that's not successful cartooning I don't know what is.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    I'm really not a fan of that second panel. I don't like the first and third panels, but they don't bother me so much; it's that the second panel's facial expression does not (to me) match up with the mood as evinced in the first and third panels. Mind you, I have no idea what the second panel's facial expression actually means. The nearest I can figure is "I'm really bored, and also I want to eat a beaver tail-first." The overall style of the three panels also isn't one I particularly like; part of it might be that I dislike how the lines were done, and the reddish shade just isn't working for me.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    JortalusJortalus Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    I'm really not a fan of that second panel. I don't like the first and third panels, but they don't bother me so much; it's that the second panel's facial expression does not (to me) match up with the mood as evinced in the first and third panels. Mind you, I have no idea what the second panel's facial expression actually means. The nearest I can figure is "I'm really bored, and also I want to eat a beaver tail-first." The overall style of the three panels also isn't one I particularly like; part of it might be that I dislike how the lines were done, and the reddish shade just isn't working for me.

The expression means that he is so overwhelmed with the AWESOMENESS of a "blessing of unicorns" that he cannot even control his facial muscles. He is literally having an orgasm over the thought, and that is Gabe's terrifying O-face. I think all three panels in this comic are hilarious, and the coloring scheme is obviously meant to reflect the subject matter (equines of a mystical and somewhat frilly-pink nature). It's a brilliantly funny work and I give it high marks in all categories.

• Options
    DreadclaymoreDreadclaymore Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Dreadclaymore on
  • Options
    ImmaDekerImmaDeker Nighlok and Load Angel Grove, JapanRegistered User new member
    dongues wrote: »

d2RJqfr.jpg

UAR71cN.jpg

These photographs don't look anything like my grandmother.

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    Aside from the aforementioned idea that Gabe has drawn the same characters for a long, long time and probably just wants to play around (much like Tycho does with the ever-changing tone of the strip and malleable natures of the characters that make G&T so much more interesting than the "straight man-CRAAZY man" setup of most "two gamers on a couch" comics), keep in mind that this comic is created by two people. There's no visual joke in the storyboard of this strip--the joke is all in the dialogue. So for our added pleasure, Gabe adds an unrelated second joke in the style of the faces. And above all, it adds variety. You can always picture this strip with the normal faces of older strips if you just want the dialogue joke. It's when this is used as the primary humor of every single strip that it becomes annoying, for example VGCats. Gabe does not rely on MAH SILLAH FACE, and even if he did, the silly faces would always be underneath top-notch writing. Fear not, PA's integrity is secure.

• Options
    I finally realized what the second panel reminds me of: Me gusta.

• Options
    SadDrake13SadDrake13 Registered User new member
    Any gathering of equines,whether they are magical in nature or not,is a herd.
    BOOM! (mike drop)