As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Doctor Who]: "...the clock is striking Twelve's."

Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..."a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
edited August 2014 in Debate and/or Discourse
6d46c7b9e00ce84855cfbddc3284a0cf.jpg

Okay! Right, first, general background!
Wikipedia wrote:
Doctor Who is a British science fiction television programme produced by the BBC. The programme depicts the adventures of a mysterious alien time-traveller known as "the Doctor" who travels in his space and time-ship, the TARDIS, which normally appears from the exterior to be a blue 1950s police box. With his companions, he explores time and space, solving problems, facing monsters and righting wrongs.

You should probably assume this thread contains spoilers for episodes that have already aired.

The current TARDIS crew:
r0tgepX.jpg

The Twelfth Doctor: Peter Capaldi
With his life saved by a last-minute gift of regenerations from the Time Lords, the Doctor has moved on to more pressing problems, like what color his kidneys are.

Clara Oswald: Jenna Coleman
The Doctor's current traveling companion, currently stunned by his transformation and kidney complaints.

Where/When To Watch
Doctor Who is off the air following the 2013 Christmas special, "The Time of the Doctor". Season 8 is currently anticipated to kick off in autumn 2014.

All of time and space - where do I want to start? [A Quick Primer, and Where to Start]
The recommended place to start for people just hearing about the show now is the First Series (with Christopher Eccleston). While the show will occasionally make reference to episodes and characters from the classic series, it's not necessary to have watched them.

---

Doctor Who first premiered in November 1963 with William Hartnell as the First Doctor, and ran until December 1989 with Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor. This time period is known as "the classic series".

Paul McGann appeared as the Eighth Doctor in a TV movie in 1996. Long unavailable, this was recently released on DVD as "Doctor Who: The Movie"

Christopher Eccleston appeared as the Ninth Doctor when the BBC and executive producer Russell T. Davies resurrected the show in 2005. The numbering for episodes and seasons was restarted, so Eccleston's first series was released as "Doctor Who: The Complete First Series". This is known as the "new series".

David Tennant succeeded Christopher Eccleston in the "Second Series" as the Tenth Doctor, and continued in the role through the "Fourth Series". Between the Fourth and Fifth series, the show went on hiatus, and produced 4 special episodes. These were released as "The Complete Specials", and marked the show's transition from shooting in standard definition to shooting in high definition:

- Planet of the Dead
- The Waters of Mars
- The End of Time, Part 1
- The End of Time, Part 2

Note that Tennant's last Christmas special, "The Next Doctor", was not made available as part of the Series 4 boxset or as part of the Complete Specials set. You can buy it separately as a standalone disc. (Most streaming services will incorporate it in its proper place after the Series 4 finale.)

The End of Time marked David Tennant's exit from the show, as well as the exit of Russell T. Davies from the show's production staff. Tennant was replaced by Matt Smith for the "Fifth Series", and Russell T Davies was replaced by longtime writer for the show Steven Moffat.

As of today (9/11/13), almost all of the new series is available for instant streaming on Netflix. Mini-episode content (Children in Need specials, minisodes, etc.) is missing, and for reasons as yet unknown to me, "A Christmas Carol" (the first 11th Doctor Christmas special) and "Planet of the Dead" are missing. Series 7 episodes are not yet available. Selected episodes from the classic series are also available.

"Shh! Eleventh!" Classic Doctor Who
There's a ton of material from the classic series, and naturally, varying opinions as to what to watch. Here are some tried-and-true classics for you. A * indicates that the episode is on Netflix Instant Watch (note that Netflix lists new series episodes as "Doctor Who" and classic series episodes as "Classic Doctor Who".

William Hartnell as the First Doctor: An Unearthly Child, The Aztecs*, The Time Meddler

Patrick Troughton as the Second Doctor: Tomb of the Cybermen, The Mind Robber*, The War Games

Jon Pertwee as the Third Doctor: Spearhead from Space*, Inferno, The Daemons

Tom Baker as the Fourth Doctor: City of Death*, The Talons of Weng-Chiang, Logopolis

Peter Davison as the Fifth Doctor: Kinda, Earthshock, The Caves of Androzani*

Colin Baker as the Sixth Doctor: Vengeance on Varos, Revelation of the Daleks, The Two Doctors

Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor: The Curse of Fenric*, Ghost Light, Survival

If you want Paul McGann as the Eighth Doctor, you'll have to hunt down the movie, as that's all that he appeared in. (There are audio plays, etc., but that's the only time he played him "on film".)

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
oE0mva1.jpg
Mike Danger on

• Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular
    Ahh, new regeneration thread smell.
    Only 31 days to go!

• Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    I am cautiously excited for The Day of the Doctor. Cautiously excited enough to have booked cinema tickets for it yesterday.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    I'm looking forward to this too. The Matt Smith era hasn't really produced any major misses for me. I'm confident this is gonna be a great bit of TV.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Is it strange that I hope the Capaldi era will have a true male companion? Don't get me wrong, I liked the companions of the New Series, there hasn't been a real misstep with any of them. weakest was Martha and that's only in comparison to the rest. I don't count the single episode co-stars from the last year of Tennants run(With the exception of Wilfred).

Its just that with Rory and Mickey it was more that they where the butt of the jokes, not real companions. There for shit to happen to, not characters in their own right. Compare that to Wilfred in the End of Time.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    In Rory's defence, he did take a turn for the bad ass once the end of series 5 rolled around. And even when he was the butt of jokes, he did call the Doctor out once or twice. Here is a man who disappointed the Doctor by not being surprised by the inside of the TARDIS.

But it'd be awesome if we had another companion like Jamie. Or... actually, no, Turlough. Competent alien coward with iffy allegiances. Another double agent companion would be great.

It'd be great to have more than just one companion at once, though. Groupings like Ian/Barbara/Susan (later Vicki) and Tegan/Nyssa/Adric (later Turlough) generally worked pretty well. Even if there's just one main companion with a couple of others rotating through for a couple of episodes here and there (more so than River or and co.).

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    I so cannot wait for Peter Capaldi

I mean, I love Matt Smith but damn if Peter Capaldi doesn't remind me a little of Tom Baker.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Rory was a proper companion, he was better developed than Amy for most of their run, imo. I especially don't get the Wilf comparison, the only difference is Ten revered Wilf? Eleven respects Rory plenty, despite all the jokes. But I'm biased cause Rory <3

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    Day of the Doctor to be shown in 3D on cinemas across the world!
    DOCTOR WHO 50th ANNIVERSARY EPISODE IN 3D
    SPECIAL CINEMA EVENT
    IN OVER 400 CINEMAS ACROSS 8 COUNTRIES

Hundreds of thousands of fans across the UK, Ireland, US, Canada, Germany and Russia will gather to watch on the big screen at the same time as millions of TV viewers worldwide

The celebrations will cross the equator with screenings to be held in 106 cinemas in Australia and New Zealand

BBC Worldwide today announces that the special 50th Anniversary episode of Doctor Who will also be screened in 3D in cinemas across the UK, Ireland, the US, Canada, Germany and Russia at the same time as the UK TV broadcast on BBC One on 23rd November 2013, with more countries to be confirmed within the next few weeks.

In addition to the global TV broadcast, hundreds of cinemas in the UK and around the world are also confirming their plans to screen the hotly anticipated special episode simultaneously in full 3D, giving fans another unique opportunity to be part of a truly global celebration for the iconic British drama series. 216 VUE, Cineworld, Odeon, BFI and Picturehouse cinemas in the UK and Ireland have already confirmed their participation, with tickets for the anniversary screening set to go on sale this Friday October 25th at 9am. Locations include London, Birmingham, Belfast, Dublin, Liverpool, Cardiff and Edinburgh.

Internationally, German, Russian, American* and Canadian* fans will gather in cinemas to enjoy the simulcast release, approximately 30 cinemas in Germany will screen the special and up to 50 theatres will debut it in Russia. The celebrations will cross time zones travelling over the equator to New Zealand and Australia where fans will have a choice of 106 cinemas across both countries to view the episode in 3D on the big screen on the 24th November following the simulcast TV broadcast earlier in the morning.

*BBC America will this week announce details regarding the 3D screenings of the anniversary episode in select theatres across the US and Canada.

igTguKTnfK9B1.gif

• Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    Matt Smith really likes those big coats with the furry hoods.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Rory was a proper companion, he was better developed than Amy for most of their run, imo. I especially don't get the Wilf comparison, the only difference is Ten revered Wilf? Eleven respects Rory plenty, despite all the jokes. But I'm biased cause Rory <3

To Rory the Doctor is his companion.

• Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Cade wrote: »
    Day of the Doctor to be shown in 3D on cinemas across the world!
    DOCTOR WHO 50th ANNIVERSARY EPISODE IN 3D
    SPECIAL CINEMA EVENT
    IN OVER 400 CINEMAS ACROSS 8 COUNTRIES

Hundreds of thousands of fans across the UK, Ireland, US, Canada, Germany and Russia will gather to watch on the big screen at the same time as millions of TV viewers worldwide

The celebrations will cross the equator with screenings to be held in 106 cinemas in Australia and New Zealand

BBC Worldwide today announces that the special 50th Anniversary episode of Doctor Who will also be screened in 3D in cinemas across the UK, Ireland, the US, Canada, Germany and Russia at the same time as the UK TV broadcast on BBC One on 23rd November 2013, with more countries to be confirmed within the next few weeks.

In addition to the global TV broadcast, hundreds of cinemas in the UK and around the world are also confirming their plans to screen the hotly anticipated special episode simultaneously in full 3D, giving fans another unique opportunity to be part of a truly global celebration for the iconic British drama series. 216 VUE, Cineworld, Odeon, BFI and Picturehouse cinemas in the UK and Ireland have already confirmed their participation, with tickets for the anniversary screening set to go on sale this Friday October 25th at 9am. Locations include London, Birmingham, Belfast, Dublin, Liverpool, Cardiff and Edinburgh.

Internationally, German, Russian, American* and Canadian* fans will gather in cinemas to enjoy the simulcast release, approximately 30 cinemas in Germany will screen the special and up to 50 theatres will debut it in Russia. The celebrations will cross time zones travelling over the equator to New Zealand and Australia where fans will have a choice of 106 cinemas across both countries to view the episode in 3D on the big screen on the 24th November following the simulcast TV broadcast earlier in the morning.

*BBC America will this week announce details regarding the 3D screenings of the anniversary episode in select theatres across the US and Canada.

igTguKTnfK9B1.gif

Dear gods let there be a screen in Memphis.
    There won't be. I know this.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular

To Rory the Doctor is his companion.

To Rory, the Doctor is that annoying kid.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2013
  • Options
    Two lots of new promotional photographs have been released for An Adventure in Space and Time. I'm getting a severe case of uncanny valley from the actors playing William Russell, Jacqueline Hill and Carole Ann Ford in some of those shots.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Bogart wrote: »
    Watched a very old William Hartnell episode last night. I'm honestly not sure I've ever seen a Hartnell episode all the way through before.

It was one from a mostly vanished story, and the Daleks were causing trouble organising a galactic conspiracy to destroy Earth or something with a special bomb, an incredibly valuable key part of which was left on the council table when an alarm sounded, enabling the Doctor, cunning disguised as one of the delegates (by nicking his big cloak), to swipe it off the table in the confusion and scarper.

Special joys include the obvious poverty of the budget and the alien designs (man with pebbles stuck to him, guy in cloak, other man in cloak with twigs sticking out, guy with beard).

Watched the first Jon Pertwee episode after that (these are from some free DVDs that a paper gave away years ago). The location scenes look pretty bad, as do the effects. Nice to see the Brigadier looking young (and I think he was in the Hartnell episode as well, playing someone else), but yeah. It looked rough. Don't remember the Tom Baker ones I watched a couple of years ago looking quite that tatty.

@Bogart the first Pertwee story (Spearhead from Space, right?) was filmed during union action at the BBC which prevented the show from using their normal videotape cameras so it was all done in 35mm film instead, which I think is not very kind to the props and effects.

I really like that so many of the Pertwee stories use locations, though. It made them feel less claustrophobic.

• Options
    On the other hand, because it was done entirely on film, it meant that it's the only classic Who story that could be properly remastered to full HD.

Coincidentally, I may have bought the Bluray of Spearhead from Space this morning.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »

Her this changes everything face is fantastic.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    Hey Ash is awesome.

Laughed like anything watching that one.

• Options
    Anyone thinking about doing the theater thing?

http://www.fathomevents.com/#!doctor-who-the-day-of-the-doctor/more-info/theater-locations

I pitched to the wife (was thinking maybe surprising her with it...but it's too late for her birthday (the 3rd), and too early for X-mas.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »

http://www.fathomevents.com/#!doctor-who-the-day-of-the-doctor/more-info/theater-locations

I pitched to the wife (was thinking maybe surprising her with it...but it's too late for her birthday (the 3rd), and too early for X-mas.
    You clearly missed a perfect opportunity to blame time travel for the odd date :p

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    In re: the cinema stuff: Fathom Events is selling tickets for screenings on Nov. 25. There's a smaller group of theaters that are doing the simulcast on the 23rd. (I'd hate for a forumer to buy tickets through Fathom and find out they're not good for until 48 hours after the fact.)
    Los Angeles - Cinemark Rave 18 + IMAX (Los Angeles, CA)
    Los Angeles - Century 20 Bella Terra at Huntington Beach (Huntington Beach, CA)
    New York - AMC Loews Village 7 (New York, NY)
    New York - Regal E-Walk Stadium 13 & RPX (New York, NY)
    Chicago - Century 12 Evanston + XD (Evanston, IL)
    Chicago - Cinemark @ Seven Bridges + IMAX (Woodridge, IL)
    Philadelphia - Cinemark Rave Cinemas University City 6 (Philadelphia, PA)
    Philadelphia - Cinemark 16 (Somerdale, NJ)
    Dallas-Ft. Worth - Cinemark West Plano + XD (Plano, TX)
    San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose - Century San Francisco Centre 9 and XD (San Francisco, CA)
    Washington, DC - Cinemark Rave Cinemas Fairfax Corner 14 + XD (Fairfax, VA)
    Houston - Cinemark Tinseltown 17 and XD (The Woodlands, TX)
    Atlanta - Cinemark Tinseltown 17 (Fayetteville, GA)
    Seattle-Tacoma - Cinemark Lincoln Square Cinemas (Bellevue, WA)
    Minneapolis - AMC Southdale 16 (Edina, MN)

These are getting ticketed through Cinemark and Fandango. Both the simulcast and 2-days-later tickets go on sale tomorrow.

Mike Danger on
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    So turns out yesterday Big Finish released their own 50th Anniversary story a month early. It's called The Light At The End and features Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy and Paul McGann all playing their respective Doctors, so it's incredibly exciting.

I have no idea why they didn't send an e-mail out about it (I've had the thing pre-ordered for months so it was a bit of a shock when I found out on another forum), so I'm downloading my digital copy now and should hopefully get my big fancy limited edition CD in the mail soon. I'll listen to it tonight and write a non-spoilery review tomorrow if anyone is interested.

• Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    Igort wrote: »
    So turns out yesterday Big Finish released their own 50th Anniversary story a month early. It's called The Light At The End and features Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy and Paul McGann all playing their respective Doctors, so it's incredibly exciting.

I have no idea why they didn't send an e-mail out about it (I've had the thing pre-ordered for months so it was a bit of a shock when I found out on another forum), so I'm downloading my digital copy now and should hopefully get my big fancy limited edition CD in the mail soon. I'll listen to it tonight and write a non-spoilery review tomorrow if anyone is interested.

holy fuck that sounds toppers

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Man, I wish Eccleston wasn't such a stick in the mud. He's my favorite doctor but man does his complete disassociation from the role annoy the crap out of me.

• Options
    It annoys me as well.

If he had stuck around longer he'd be my favorite Doctor by far but his run is so short I have to give the nod to his successor. Smith I can deal with but it's more or less accepting his run than being giddy about him, I'm absolutely thrilled about the choice of the new Doctor.

• Options
    I can see why Eccleston hasn't come back. Apart from having bad experiences on set, he does have a policy of never going back and he sticks to it. (Though he did consider returning, given that he met with Moffat a couple of times regarding the 50th.)

And, well, Eccleston recently said he loves the Doctor and is totally down for the 100th if Joe Ahearne directs it. It's not like he's distancing himself from the role. He's just not returning to it. Which is fine. It's not like he's the first actor who's done that (Tom Baker in the 20th, anyone?).

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I hate not living in a city big enough for a theater showing. Ever.

BUT DAMNIT I AM EXCITED.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »

Surprising amount of showings in Utah. Annoyingly i'm stuck in St George for the next few months, and nothing down here.

Well..Vegas I suppose.

Any folks around here live in the Vegas area and could vouch for any of the theatres on the list? I could do that drive for this.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Apparently one of those showings is happening in my town, but 25th rather than 23rd, so I'll probably just watch on the 23rd and eschew the theater. I'd be all over it if it were the same time as the premier.

• Options
    Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    Yeah...I'm going to watch it on Saturday and go to the Theater on Monday. I wouldn't watch it, but I don't trust a theater of young whovians to NOT spoil what they watched on Saturday.

• Options
    Sharp10r wrote: »
    Yeah...I'm going to watch it on Saturday and go to the Theater on Monday. I wouldn't watch it, but I don't trust a theater of young whovians to NOT spoil what they watched on Saturday.
    I have that same feeling, but I think that we'll just skip the theater thing.

• Options
    I'm conflicted over whether to watch the broadcast before the cinema screening. The broadcast would be about 3am for us. The cinema screening is at 4pm.

Decisions decisions...

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    Cinemark has sold out for the 11/23 screenings and is "hoping to add more seats".

oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Cyvros wrote: »
    I can see why Eccleston hasn't come back. Apart from having bad experiences on set, he does have a policy of never going back and he sticks to it. (Though he did consider returning, given that he met with Moffat a couple of times regarding the 50th.)

It's a silly policy to get stubborn about.
    And, well, Eccleston recently said he loves the Doctor and is totally down for the 100th if Joe Ahearne directs it. It's not like he's distancing himself from the role. He's just not returning to it. Which is fine. It's not like he's the first actor who's done that (Tom Baker in the 20th, anyone?).

Eccleston loves the Doctor so much he's never coming back. Right. I love how he'll only come back under certain conditions.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2013

Eccleston loves the Doctor so much he's never coming back. Right. I love how he'll only come back under certain conditions.

Eccelston is 49 right now; so in 50 years he'll be 99.

I'm not sure he'll be in any position to come back at that point. :P

He was obviously joking.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular

Eccelston is 49 right now; so in 50 years he'll be 99.

I'm not sure he'll be in any position to come back at that point. :P

He was obviously joking.
    He can come back as the First Doctor, then :P

sig.gif
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    ITT people are awfully sure how other people should manage their professional and personal lives

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    teefurylink1.jpg

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    So, The Light At The End is fantastic. Every Doctor gets their turn in the spotlight and they all have a reason to be there. Everyone in it gives a great performance, Tom Baker especially is clearly enjoying himself. The story itself is a bit of a nice mish-mash, feeling a little bit like Classic Who and Modern Who. I would heartily recommend it (though it does seem to be quite expensive which I imagine would turn quite a few people off).

This discussion has been closed.