As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Doctor Who]: "...the clock is striking Twelve's."

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    That was -excellent-

You can totally use the reactions to the episode to point out people who have only watched New Who.

Really?

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Yeah that was a particularly dumb thing to say. I've only watched New Who and I liked it just as much as anyone who has watched old Who.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I like the idea that the Daleks evilness is really not their fault. They are getting railroaded by their technology and design. They just need someone to remove all their memory blocks.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I don't know if 'like' is the word, but I'm noticing that this Doctor isn't really going to spend any time on sympathy:
    "My brother just died!"
    "His sister's alive; you're welcome."

And the soldier who gets vaporised. The last few Doctors would have told him they were sorry, or been futilely trying to find a way to save him to the last moment; this one jumped straight to 'he's already doomed, but I can use him to help the rest of us'.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    I really really really liked this episode.

Recently i've found myself less and less excited for Doctor Who but this one may have brought me back.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Yeah, this was great. I wasn't sold on the first episode but more like this one would be very welcome.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    I thought this had a good concept behind it, but I wasn't sold on the emotional content. Although when we change doctors it usually takes about 2-3 episodes for it to kind of buy-in.

• Options
    QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    Next week is going to be really bad though right... getting out the 1960's costume departments old props by the looks of things.
    Also Clara, AN ENGLISH TEACHER, "I've alwasy wanted to meet robin hood" who DEFINITELY doesn't exist.

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Quical wrote: »
    Also Clara, AN ENGLISH TEACHER, "I've alwasy wanted to meet robin hood" who DEFINITELY doesn't exist.

Shhh shhh shh shhh shhhh

no no.

if this show was only things that definitely existed it would not be much of a show my friend

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TheWizardOfJozTheWizardOfJoz Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazedRegistered User regular
    Not entirely won over by how they're writing for Capaldi. I was hoping for a new 7. At the moment he's a bit too early 6.

Thank you for the days.
    I won't forget a single day believe me.
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Grislo wrote: »
    That was -excellent-

You can totally use the reactions to the episode to point out people who have only watched New Who.

Really?

I wasn't talking about anyone in this thread

but some of the criticisms I've seen are so obviously biased because of it

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Next week is going to be really bad though right... getting out the 1960's costume departments old props by the looks of things.

Aside from this being, as mentioned previously, Doctor freakin' Who, so what if she's an English teacher, she's allowed to want to meet people that don't exist; why on any planet does her profession require her to only want to do possible things?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    That was -excellent-

Because this was like watching a Classic Who episode.
    Glad that other people are seeing the episode that way. Between the retro intro, the older Doctor, and the feel of the episode, yeah, this definitely was like an old-school episode of Doctor Who with better effects and a better budget.

And there is plenty of great stuff in Classic Who even with the cheezy ancient effects, so that direction is A-OK with me.

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    So it sounds like this episode broke the trend of the 2nd episode of the season being total meh?

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Aside from this being, as mentioned previously, Doctor freakin' Who, so what if she's an English teacher, she's allowed to want to meet people that don't exist; why on any planet does her profession require her to only want to do possible things?

I'm an English teacher. I have nice little list of people I would love to meet who only exist in printed text.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    So I loved this! Was braced for bad times, as the trailer showed off some eh looking CG. In the moment, didn't bother me and didn't jump out as low budget as the first episode.
    Capaldi is a huge dick. Wooow. Good. I like this Doctor. He gets shit done. That thing about acting like he was doing the doomed soldier a favour, jeez...

That was a super flimsy excuse for a Journey To The Center Of The Dalek - they're mostly mechanical, just unscrew it. Eleven popped the tops off Daleks with a wave of the screwdriver.

The scenes of the Daleks attacking later on were the best they've ever done. The fancy director really paid off there. They were methodical, but also a little maniacal, and that didn't really come through on earlier Daleks-en-masse episodes. Usually they seem like straight robots.

Missy continues to confound and confuse. This episode torpedoes the notion that she's a Cyber something, downloading artificial conciousness. Looking more likely she's got a TARDIS or something, intervening just like the Doctor did at the start.

Also hey, no iDaleks anywhere to be seen. What happened to "officer class"? :P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    #12 will save you.

If you say please

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Also hey, no iDaleks anywhere to be seen. What happened to "officer class"? :P

Aside from the fact that I don't think anyone really preferred the newer design, they were supposedly introduced so they'd be more or less at eye-stalk-to-eye level with Amy, as the old ones were with Billie (It's tougher to be intimidating when the human girl is towering over you). Now Clara's around, the old designs are the 'right' height again.

But I'm not really looking for a justification, kudos for them deciding that the old design was better, and going back to it. If they don't want to give an in-universe explanation, I won't complain.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    I do wonder if Robin Hood "really" did not exist and someone is mucking around. We shall see.

• Options
    madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    #12 will save you.

If you say please

I've seen it said elsewhere, so I won't take credit for it: This Doctor has turned into "Space-House". He even looks like him now.

• Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    The scenes of the Daleks attacking later on were the best they've ever done. The fancy director really paid off there. They were methodical, but also a little maniacal, and that didn't really come through on earlier Daleks-en-masse episodes. Usually they seem like straight robots.
    Holy crap yes. This is probably about as scary as I've felt the Daleks have been since series 1. After last week, I wasn't quite sure what the fuss was about Wheatley, but then this episode happened and all those battle scenes happened and I wholeheartedly retracted my doubt.

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    One thing that didn't make much sense to me.
    Wasn't Dalek Caan already a "good" Dalek?

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    He was a half human abomination. See also: The "Dalek" Dalek. This was a 100% Dalek who reached this conclusion. That's the Miracle.

Totally agree on them being scary. They get a lot of flak for being slow moving dustbins who can't navigate stairs, but that slow moving nature combined with a death ray established an inevitability to their heading your way. Slow and steady exterminates the (human) race.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Well, he was damaged and went mad breaching the time lock. Maybe that removed his mental blocks and expanded his mind? Then, he saw all of the killing the Daleks did throughout time.

That made him a "good' Dalek. Before that, he was evil.

I am really liking the concept that Davros essentially forced the Daleks to be evil.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Oh I was thinking of the wrong example. Me dumb!

• Options
    I like this cold and rude Doctor.

• Options
    He certainly makes a change.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I like the idea that the Daleks evilness is really not their fault. They are getting railroaded by their technology and design. They just need someone to remove all their memory blocks.

Well, according to Genesis of the Daleks,
    Davros genetically engineered them to be sociopaths from the very beginning.

• Options
    Krathoon wrote: »

Well, according to Genesis of the Daleks,
    Davros genetically engineered them to be sociopaths from the very beginning.
    I like that they are exploring that now. The Daleks are realizing they can change. They are evolving past the shackles placed upon them.

You can't force a species to behave a particular way.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    So I take it from the lack of other people noticing it there was nothing off about the entire visual aspect of the episode? It looked like they shot it with a different quality camera so it had a cheap Saturday afternoon soap opera look to it. First episode didn't do that. Maybe I'm losing my mind...

• Options
    It would have to take another look. They may have played with the style.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I'm really enjoying the new episodes but man do I not like the new opening and theme music.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Uncle_BalsamicUncle_Balsamic Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I'm liking this theme music way more than most of the recent ones. Sounds like someone is going to town on a stylophone, which is pretty much exactly what I want from theme music.

Edit: I also thought this episode felt way less cheap than the first one. Certainly nothing really stuck out as shonky like in that first episode.

Uncle_Balsamic on
    2LmjIWB.png
  • Options
    You really do get the feeling they have to stretch the budget.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I'm liking this theme music way more than most of the recent ones. Sounds like someone is going to town on a stylophone, which is pretty much exactly what I want from theme music.

Edit: I also thought this episode felt way less cheap than the first one. Certainly nothing really stuck out as shonky like in that first episode.

It's a fine arrangement of the theme, I just don't like it.

Personally I really liked S7's really bassy theme. It got me pumped up for the show. EDIT: I also thought the opening for S7 was really classy, with Smiths face in the stars and such. To me the S8 opening is just really visually loud and garish.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Uncle_BalsamicUncle_Balsamic Registered User regular
    Oh yeah I'm not saying it's better or owt, but it's right up my alley. I did like Matt Smith's face in the last series; I always liked that in some of the older intros.

2LmjIWB.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    So I take it from the lack of other people noticing it there was nothing off about the entire visual aspect of the episode? It looked like they shot it with a different quality camera so it had a cheap Saturday afternoon soap opera look to it. First episode didn't do that. Maybe I'm losing my mind...

It might have been deliberate. They're trying to capture a bit of nostalgia here.

The special effects in particular near the end.
    Where it's just a screen backdrop and the doctor looking into the camera. That's very old school classic sci fi stuff.

I've seen snatches of old who and this felt really familiar.

The showrunner loves letting directors have their way with the doctor so you get to see different takes on the concept.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited September 2014

It's a fine arrangement of the theme, I just don't like it.

Personally I really liked S7's really bassy theme. It got me pumped up for the show. EDIT: I also thought the opening for S7 was really classy, with Smiths face in the stars and such. To me the S8 opening is just really visually loud and garish.

I really liked the version of the theme used for The Snowmen, and I was annoyed when the second half of series 7 aired and all the little electronic bits had just disappeared. But that opening was great, too.

Definitely not a fan of the new arrangement. The bells, the squeaky synth that sounds like the keyboard I had when I was 6... If they were going more electronic, I honestly would've loved something like Dominic Glynn's version of the theme with its slight creepiness (suuuper late edit because I couldn't think of the word at the time: sort of more slight spookiness than creepiness).
    Xeddicus wrote: »

It might have been deliberate. They're trying to capture a bit of nostalgia here.

The special effects in particular near the end.
    Where it's just a screen backdrop and the doctor looking into the camera. That's very old school classic sci fi stuff.

I've seen snatches of old who and this felt really familiar.

The showrunner loves letting directors have their way with the doctor so you get to see different takes on the concept.
    There was something about that slow mo scene where they're entering the Dalek's eye that felt really classic Who as well. The effects this episode were great.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Doctor who has never been about fancy special effects.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Cyvros wrote: »
    There was something about that slow mo scene...
    Yes. I have no idea why, but that part immediately made me think of the classic shows. Maybe it's because the effects were in the vein of the old-school approach of trying to do relatively simple camera tricks under the guise of making it look like a scifi thing? Which I like, because simple things can be just as good or better than things that overly complex simply because they can be.
    azith28 wrote: »
    Doctor who has never been about fancy special effects.
    While I definitely appreciate the quantum leap in technology that has improved the effects enormously, I appreciate the tendency of the show to be about the story instead of the flash even more. The special effects certainly help underscore things like the scope of the universe, but as this newest Doctor pointed out, the best stuff happens right at the personal level because that's where everything matters.

Sure, the show has put up some grand shots and whatnot, but it's always the personal stuff that comes off the best.

This discussion has been closed.