As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Doctor Who]: "...the clock is striking Twelve's."

• SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    I think this episode now brings the number of Asian actors on Doctor Who up to 4.

Could have done without the Fu Manchu outfits.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    I liked this a lot! The editing seemed a bit sloppy, though - some of the scene transitions seemed weirdly jarring.

Two things also stuck out to me;
    Is letting a species that can eat people's minds roam free really a good idea?

Why did Capaldi rub his arm in pain after getting hugged at the end?

• theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    klemming wrote: »
    Okay, I liked it.

Doesn't mean I can't nitpick, though.
    The fact that there's a storm explains why they couldn't just land the Tardis in the vault at the time they were robbing it, fine.
    And they were robbing it at that time because the storm is the only way to open the vault.
    How does it explain why they couldn't land the Tardis in the vault at any other possible time?
    Yeah pretty much the first thought I had at the end was "Wait why couldn't he just transport the Tardis into the vault, possibly before the god-knows-how-long of incarceration"

Also if you change the aliens into people and imagine a woman tied up in a room you get a horror story.

theSquid on
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    theSquid wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »
    Okay, I liked it.

Doesn't mean I can't nitpick, though.
    The fact that there's a storm explains why they couldn't just land the Tardis in the vault at the time they were robbing it, fine.
    And they were robbing it at that time because the storm is the only way to open the vault.
    How does it explain why they couldn't land the Tardis in the vault at any other possible time?
    Yeah pretty much the first thought I had at the end was "Wait why couldn't he just transport the Tardis into the vault, possibly before the god-knows-how-long of incarceration"

Also if you change the aliens into people and imagine a woman tied up in a room you get a horror story.
    Because it wasn't about the vault. It was about separating the banker from the alien without creating a paradox.

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Does BBC have a place where I can catch up on the earlier episodes from this season? I've got TV again and got last week's and this week's recorded, but I haven't watched any of the prior ones.

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    this was a very good episode

capaldi is quickly becoming one of my favorite doctors.

steam_sig.png
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Trace wrote: »
    FAQ wrote: »
    so I jumped on Dr Who for the first time, brought on cos Peter Capaldi played one the best tv characters ever imo in the thick of it. And so far?

Yeah I'm enjoying it, it's a good show, I mean it's certainly 'family entertainment' and I didn't find the most recent epidosode scary in the slightest. I like the way, from what I can see, it tells lots of different types of stories with vastly different tones and genres. So yeah decent, not a must watch for me but a fine show.

I highly suggest going back and watching at least Matt Smith's run.

I'd second this. Matt Smith's run is where I started legit enjoying the show. I'd aaaaaalmost suggest the Tennant/Donna season but what happens to her at the end of it throws that recommendation firmly into the NOPE bin.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    edited September 2014
    Huh. Right now I think Matt Smith may be one of my least favorite doctors.

Definitely Tennant > Capaldi > Eccleston/Smith for me.

also I think I liked Donna the least of all of the companions. Hm. Yeah.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Does BBC have a place where I can catch up on the earlier episodes from this season? I've got TV again and got last week's and this week's recorded, but I haven't watched any of the prior ones.

If you live in the UK iplayer should have most, if not all, of the season up.

If you live outside the UK//in the US on Amazon you can buy them.

These are your legal options.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    so I jumped on Dr Who for the first time, brought on cos Peter Capaldi played one the best tv characters ever imo in the thick of it. And so far?

Yeah I'm enjoying it, it's a good show, I mean it's certainly 'family entertainment' and I didn't find the most recent epidosode scary in the slightest. I like the way, from what I can see, it tells lots of different types of stories with vastly different tones and genres. So yeah decent, not a must watch for me but a fine show.

I'd second this. Matt Smith's run is where I started legit enjoying the show. I'd aaaaaalmost suggest the Tennant/Donna season but what happens to her at the end of it throws that recommendation firmly into the NOPE bin.

Can't even remotely suggest the Donna stuff, because she was firmly in the category of "just about the lamest person to show the universe because she doesn't appreciate crap". The Rose stuff got trite here and there and Martha was wasted potential, but at least they were properly amazed by amazing things. Donna's father would've been a better companion than she was.

But if somebody is just starting up, may as go back to the first of the newer seasons and start from there anyway, instead of just going back a couple of seasons.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I am curious about the society on that planet.

Talk about harsh punishment. Off worlder? Die. False ID? Die. Break in? Brain soup.

It seemed like they were a bunch of fascist A-holes or something. I wonder if it was one of the non-Earth origin human races, like the ones on the Titanic spaceship.

They were from the planet "Sto". Stoans?

Krathoon on
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

Talk about harsh punishment. Off worlder? Die. False ID? Die. Break in? Brain soup.

It seemed like they were a bunch of fascist A-holes or something. I wonder if it was one of the non-Earth origin human races, like the ones on the Titanic spaceship.

It struck me more as a business so rich that it was above and beyond the law.

• CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    Quical wrote: »
    Enjoyed this but I'm pretty sure the writer of this episode lacked any original ideas.
    He also needed an editer.
    And also apparently couldn't google the name "delphox"

Well, the episode had two writers. One of them was Moffat and the other was the guy who did the pirates episode in series 6 and Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS last year. So I guess both writers capable of original ideas, but at the same time having... problematic and variable writing histories (searching for a polite way of putting that).

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Krathoon wrote: »

It struck me more as a business so rich that it was above and beyond the law.

Yeah I took at as basically a whole planet being run as a business, so corporate policy and law are indistinguishable. It's a reasonably common sci fi trope.

• antheremantherem Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

If you live in the UK iplayer should have most, if not all, of the season up.

If you live outside the UK//in the US on Amazon you can buy them.

These are your legal options.

If you're in the US, BBC America on Demand has all of last season and this season.

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Nice

Lh96QHG.png
  • InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    There is so much wrong being posted in this thread that I don't know where I am. Donna was the best companion. True fact.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    Donna = best modern companion, although Clara may be creeping up on that spot (or maybe Rory?)

Martha = worst forever. FOREVER.

g4OlSIF.jpg
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    InkSplat wrote: »
    There is so much wrong being posted in this thread that I don't know where I am. Donna Amy Pond was the best companion. True fact.

• StarZapperStarZapper Vermont, Bizzaro world.Registered User regular
    I love how the universe's most secure vault still has these really convenient and easy to open air ducts that circumvent security. Overall really enjoyed the episode.

• EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    ruzkin wrote: »
    Donna = best modern companion, although Clara may be creeping up on that spot (or maybe Rory?)

My thoughts exactly. Although I think Amy was just as good, just let down by the presence of Rory.

Euphoriac wrote: »
    ruzkin wrote: »

My thoughts exactly. Although I think Amy was just as good, just let down by the presence of Rory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4I-efBSAUiY

• EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Literally his only good moment (imo).

Euphoriac on
    TOGSolid wrote: »

Can't even remotely suggest the Donna stuff, because she was firmly in the category of "just about the lamest person to show the universe because she doesn't appreciate crap". The Rose stuff got trite here and there and Martha was wasted potential, but at least they were properly amazed by amazing things. Donna's father would've been a better companion than she was.

But if somebody is just starting up, may as go back to the first of the newer seasons and start from there anyway, instead of just going back a couple of seasons.

I agree. Especially about Martha being wasted potential.

steam_sig.png
  • QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    I liked this a lot! The editing seemed a bit sloppy, though - some of the scene transitions seemed weirdly jarring.

Two things also stuck out to me;
    Is letting a species that can eat people's minds roam free really a good idea?

Why did Capaldi rub his arm in pain after getting hugged at the end?
    Is letting a species that can shoot people to death with guns roam free on planet earth really a good idea?

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    So, I thought this episode was horrible.

It felt as though it was written and made for last season's doctor and had the same actionactionactiondontstopweneedquickcutsletsnotshowanyonedoanythingotherthanmovingforwardmovemovemovegogogogo

Seriously, last season of Who was the worst I have seen and this ep felt right at home with it. Robot of Loxley or whatever the silly episode was called may have been dumb, but it was paced well.

I can enjoy a dumb episode of Dr. Who, but I have a hard time with poorly written/directed ones.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    So, I thought this episode was horrible.

It felt as though it was written and made for last season's doctor and had the same actionactionactiondontstopweneedquickcutsletsnotshowanyonedoanythingotherthanmovingforwardmovemovemovegogogogo

Seriously, last season of Who was the worst I have seen and this ep felt right at home with it. Robot of Loxley or whatever the silly episode was called may have been dumb, but it was paced well.

I can enjoy a dumb episode of Dr. Who, but I have a hard time with poorly written/directed ones.

It's episodes like this that make me wonder if Moffatt has been secretly replaced by Davies.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    This season and last season was kind of iffy. Not enough meat. Not certain why.

The ending episodes of last season were good.

Krathoon on
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Donna is only the best companion by virtue of never once wanting to be in The Doctors pants.

But I'd personally rank Rory higher than her, because Rory managed to pull Amy out of wanting to dry hump the doctor and together made for some fun, except their heavy handed bullshit exit.

Martha was a great companioned ruined by her desire to dryhump the doctor, Rose was even worse.

I just don't like Clara..her face infuriates me because she has the face of a 12 year old girl. Seriously, how does she look so young.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I just want a mate
    You just want to mate?

Donna best, yus.

Rory close second. Amy distant third.

Oh brilliant
    Buttcleft wrote: »

I just don't like Clara..her face infuriates me

too wide huh

steam_sig.png
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    I just want a mate
    You just want to mate?

Donna best, yus.

Ah yes, purposefully mishearing despite repetition and being generally an annoying self center bitch. The most charming and endearing of factors.

• CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    I just want a mate
    You just want to mate?

Donna best, yus.

DRX, as much as I respect your insight on all things who, I am not sure you will ever convince me that Donna was not really annoying.

Donna was annoying, but she was no Mel.

She was also the first modern companion who didn't want to jump the Doc's time boner (quadruple valved!) and so gets some points for that.

Her ending was dumb though. Should've just killed her. Stupid RTD.

Rose was good, but also ruined by RTD's inability to resolve a plotline.

Martha was a massive waste, billed as a Real Doctor who'd be able to take the Doctor to task, she just fuzzled over his buzzle for a year and faded away.

To also be ruined in the end.

Mickey was a non entity who was shoved out an airlock as soon as he was interesting.

Jack was good, then terrible, then ok, then terrible again.

Amy was pretty decent, Rory was great. River needs to learn to shut her gob. Clara was bad last year, but pretty cool 50th-present.

Lh96QHG.png
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    This was a fun episode.

I liked it a lot.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• KamarKamar Registered User regular
    I can't think of any other show where every single episode has such an extreme range of responses. Every episode, I know that if the first comment I read is 'best of the season' the next will be 'worst of the series' or vice-versa.

• wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    One time I came home to find my sister watching Love and Monsters and I'm like 'hey, I like this episode, I don't know why it got so many bad reviews online' and she's like 'what?! it's one of the best episodes in the whole series!' and I'm like 'I know right?' and then we brofisted

wandering on
  • yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    I didn't mind this episode so much. There are some odd moments here and there. Seriously, who the hell does slow motion in front of a crappy green screen effect? All it does is reinforce your how budget didn't allow for a fancier effect. I thought the Teller looked pretty cool until you seem them naked at the end.

"I see everything twice!"

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    So... my wife has recently become completely and utterly enamored of Doctor Who and had the strangest idea.

What would it be like to watch the show in chronological order? What sort of undertaking would that be to even map it out?

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Impossible since times overlap. :P

This discussion has been closed.