As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Doctor Who]: "...the clock is striking Twelve's."

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Trace wrote: »
    Looked like the Pandorica

It's a new prop/toy you can buy, natch

rt-cube2.jpg

Neat! I always wanted a Pandorica paperweight or something, this'll do nicely!

While googling this, happened across an interesting screenshot from the end of the episode
    kJqTGYM.png

The windows behind Missy are shaped like Cybermen eyes...

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Well i think it kinda makes sense that the pandorica is based on tardis tech. It was intended to keep him alive, frozen in state forever. So seige mode is probably a stripped down 'safe mode' version of the tardis default settings.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Nah, it's appearance was based on a kid's book Amy had about Pandora's Box. It'd make sense that siege mode is a new thing the Doctor added based on the Pandorica tho.

Also hey, guess this is from way back in Series 5, but woow the concept art for the Pandorica is super creepy
    Pandorica-Concept-2.jpg

The Doctor looks all fucked up there D:

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    That image always reminds me of a DOS point and click adventure game for some reason. Like, lower the resolution and it could slot in as a scene from I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream or Beneath a Steel Sky.

Houn on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Trace wrote: »
    Looked like the Pandorica

It's a new prop/toy you can buy, natch

rt-cube2.jpg

Neat! I always wanted a Pandorica paperweight or something, this'll do nicely!

While googling this, happened across an interesting screenshot from the end of the episode
    kJqTGYM.png

The windows behind Missy are shaped like Cybermen eyes...

Seriously, this is a spoiler about episodes that have not aired yet. Don't click if you don't want to know.
    I saw pictures somewhere on the internet showing missy and a whole bunch of cybermen, it looked like a behind the scenes "take a look at production" type picture. I don't remember where I saw it, I was a bit pissed at being spoiled, but it clearly showed a whole bunch of cybermen. So yeah, they are involved somehow

edit: yeah, it was from doing a google image search of "doctor who missy". You can find the images there if you like. There is at least one I saw showing the doctor, missy, and a squad of cybermen.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Nah, it's appearance was based on a kid's book Amy had about Pandora's Box. It'd make sense that siege mode is a new thing the Doctor added based on the Pandorica tho.

Also hey, guess this is from way back in Series 5, but woow the concept art for the Pandorica is super creepy
    Pandorica-Concept-2.jpg

The Doctor looks all fucked up there D:
    Looks almost like he's wearing a Hannibal Lecter mask.

see317 on
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    The doctor is kind of like the dalek hannibal lecter I suppose.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    ....I am super dumb and just realized the plot significance of the choice of song on the Orient Express.
    I'm having such a good time, I don't want to stop at all...

• Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    I want this Jamie Matheson writing lots more episodes. This was just aces.

Really interesting to see an official confirmation of what the TARDIS looks like with the chameleon circuits switched off, too.
    We did get to see a 'natural' TARDIS back in The Name of the Doctor:

3egn2v5.jpg

This episode's look wasn't so much with the chameleon circuit off as being specifically the TARDIS in 'siege mode'.

• Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    In the old days there was a lot of back-and-forth about the Time Lords being culturally stagnant and tremendously boring. So TARDISes were big gray cylinders, because that's practical, see? Anyway, they have chameleon technology.

And of course the Doctor, being an iconoclast, let his be a big blue weird thing.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Good god the past couple episodes have been fantastic.

I've been out of town so I was catching up last night on the past 2.

This Jamie Mathieson person needs to be put in charge of all the things.

Like...give him the show after Moffat leaves. He seems to have a profound understanding of not only how to construct an excellent, contained story, along with fantastic character development and believable, yet still witty and flowing dialogue...but he also seems to have an understanding of who the Doctor is in a way that no one has in ages.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    Re: the Pandorica resemblance.
    Mathieson suggests something else:

• Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular

Like...give him the show after Moffat leaves. He seems to have a profound understanding of not only how to construct an excellent, contained story, along with fantastic character development and believable, yet still witty and flowing dialogue...but he also seems to have an understanding of who the Doctor is in a way that no one has in ages.

Yeah but a great writer or director is not always a good producer.

Kevin Smith showed this and talks about it. Great writer, not so good a director or producer.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    About Flatline:
    It seems like Siege Mode is a way to deactivate and lock up a TARDIS so the enemy cannot use it. It makes it dormant.

So, it is not the normal state of a TARDIS. That is why we saw it as a cylinder in the museum.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    A few pages late, but I just finished catching up on the show and just now on the thread. I couldn't pass this up though:
    For me that was an almost perfect Who episode. I think it's the close scale of the story that does it. Highly entertraining.

FTFY

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Cyvros wrote: »
    Re: the Pandorica resemblance.
    Mathieson suggests something else:

I really don't get the hubub about any resemblance to siege mode and the pandorica. Other than being a box with the general circle shape on a few sides, they don't resemble eachother at all.

The design of the circles is completely different, as to not even being comparable more than the bare basic fact that they're round. The siege mode is covered in designs and writing that is unquestionably gallifreyan, while the pandorica is otherwise completely flat and featureless, and the circles have no relation to gallifrey or anything otherwise linked to the Doctor or Time Lords.

I don't really think there's any intended relationship between them, and I don't really even think there will be any huge significance to siege mode either.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    boooooo

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    I think the idea with the designs is a way for other time lords to ID it as their technology. It is obscure enough to confuse less intelligent races.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    It looked like the design on the various fob watches that popped up, to be honest.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Protip! Y'know that Gallifreyan scribble stuff is a fleshed out language? Think it was a Series 1 DVD extra or something that explained it, but I went and checked it out for Secret Santa last year, since my target was a big ol' Whovian, I figured out how to sign his present with his name in Gallifreyan script. It works by every word being a circle, each letter is a defect on the rim of the circle, and the more letters in a word the smaller the defect so they get spaced properly. Words in a sentence can either link up (like the Doctor's real name on his crib) or diminish inside each other. The Siege Mode cube looks like it's got 10+ words impressed over the top of each other, and deciphering that shit'd be a real nightmare.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    About Flatline:
    It seems like Siege Mode is a way to deactivate and lock up a TARDIS so the enemy cannot use it. It makes it dormant.

So, it is not the normal state of a TARDIS. That is why we saw it as a cylinder in the museum.
    The TARDIS shut down while in Siege Mode because the flatlanders drained all its energy before it was activated. There wasn't enough power left to turn siege mode off nor run life support. The use of Siege Mode in this case was to prevent damage to the TARDIS by the train after the TARDIS' normal shields dropped due to the energy drain. One would assume you would use siege mode if the TARDIS was under external attack, but it's not supposed to completely shut down because of it. If it was, it's a death sentence for whoever pulls the switch and he also wouldn't have mentioned the bit about turning it off.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I think the idea with the designs is a way for other time lords to ID it as their technology. It is obscure enough to confuse less intelligent races.

Sure has confused the hell out of us!

• Options
    edited October 2014

The TARDIS shut down while in Siege Mode because the flatlanders drained all its energy before it was activated. There wasn't enough power left to turn siege mode off nor run life support. The use of Siege Mode in this case was to prevent damage to the TARDIS by the train after the TARDIS' normal shields dropped due to the energy drain. One would assume you would use siege mode if the TARDIS was under external attack, but it's not supposed to completely shut down because of it. If it was, it's a death sentence for whoever pulls the switch and he also wouldn't have mentioned the bit about turning it off.
    I agree. It is not supposed to shut it down. It is a "last option" security measure. A lock down. It probably makes it like a giant metal safe.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    poshniallo wrote: »

Yeah but a great writer or director is not always a good producer.

Kevin Smith showed this and talks about it. Great writer, not so good a director or producer.

Exactly, yeah. I don't think being a producer (on multiple shows) has done Moffat's screenwriting any favors, for instance. It's an immense amount of work, much of which has nothing to do with being creative at all. I'd much rather Mathieson just be commissioned for three or four good scripts a year, and that the show continue to both headhunt other writers of similar caliber and to help their existing stable work to improve (the way Gareth Roberts has visibly improved from his early entries).

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    So I asked for episodes without stupid kids in it, and we got this?
    At least if it were a group of adults I'd be able to count on most of them dying by the end.
    This episode just felt like everyone was written stupid. The Doctor, Clara, the kids, everyone.
    And I know there's a budget to think about, but one parent is the only person to go out into the forest? Really?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Clara:
    She may very well be a construct of some sort. Missy gave her the number. Maybe she copied Clara.

• Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    Okay,
    So trees grow overnight. Sure, whatever. Trees can communicate. Okay.

Trees control the oxygen? Trees are flame retardant because they CONTROL THE OXYGEN?!

We're supposed to accept that?!

This is the sort of logic that keeps cropping up in this season. Stupid logic. Trees make oxygen becomes trees control oxygen becomes trees have oxygen-based magic.

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    TeaSpoon wrote: »
    Okay,

Trees control the oxygen? Trees are flame retardant because they CONTROL THE OXYGEN?!

This is the sort of logic that keeps cropping up in this season. Stupid logic. Trees make oxygen becomes trees control oxygen becomes trees have oxygen-based magic.

I raise you a man with infinite lives that travels inside a box using time magic and wields a magic wand!

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    InkSplat wrote: »
    TeaSpoon wrote: »
    Okay,

I raise you a man with infinite lives that travels inside a box using time magic and wields a magic wand!
    Say you have something like... bee monsters. Evil bees. They're huge and they come numbers great enough to blot out the sun. These bees have come from a tear in the dimensional walls.

Standard Who monster, right?

And then the bees make flowers shoot out of the ground and grab people's legs.

Clara goes WTF?!

And the Doctor explains, "Bees control the flowers," as if it's self-evident that bees would have the ability to make flowers grow and attack people.

NOPE! NO! I DO NOT ACCEPT THIS!

It's lazy. I wouldn't even object to the flower-growing ability. That would just be a themed ability. Those are okay. It's the explanation that's lazy. There's a disconnect between bees pollinating flowers and bees having the magical ability to control flowers like Poison Ivy. Just like how there's a disconnect between photosynthesis, a well-understood biological process we learn about in school, and the ability to control oxygen while it's in the fucking air. There needs to be an explanation bridging these two very different things.

[edit]
    Oxygen protects the world from stuff like solar flares and asteroid strikes capable of ending humanity?

When you've got a group of families about to die and you can only save the children, you should totally do nothing. Because the children will never stop missing their parents, so it's better to just let them die.

I give up.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    TGalahadTGalahad Registered User regular
    Well, that was boring.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    To be fair about the Clara and the missing their parents bit:
    Pretty sure that's supposed to rub you the wrong way. Clara's getting more Doctor-like, and she's way too comfortable cutting her losses these days.

I'm really, really enjoying what they're doing with her character, batshit magic physics aside.

• Options
    InvectivusInvectivus Registered User regular
    I think I am done with this season of Doctor Who. Too many crap stories and bad acting. And enough with the focus on Clara and her personal life. Give me a companion that thats and orphaned widow.

While I admit that there have been some cool moments, I honestly believe that Moffet has to go. Should have been let go when Smith went

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    2nd worst episode of this season, can't believe someone actually got paid to write this dreck:
    The plot would have been better served if the idea of the trees sprouting everywhere was a new species who were the original inhabitants of the Earth who can connect consciousnesses to it. The species realizes the Sun is about to create a one-off supernova/solar flare that could wipe out all life (including themselves) and takes the "lost" sister with a wild imagination to connect to the Earth to think of a way to protect it. Thus the girl thinks up a gigantic, fireproof, ray proof forest as a deflective shield. However the sister doesn't have enough strength to keep the forest shield up. Maebh could've then felt that sisterly connection and finds the sister, and with her provides her the strength to protect the Earth. The Doctor then accepts that maybe children CAN be of extraordinary value and unique. Unlike what he's been saying about them all series long.

I would've felt far more connected to the story than what it ended up being. Just a bunch of absolutely absurd plot ideas twisted into a train wreck. I didn't even really understand what the Hell was happening 95% of the time. The threat was a solar flare apparently and the trees sprouted up. There was fireflies or something that said... stuff? Was that of any consequences at all? Did that part even matter? Especially the "phone the world" bit. That was actually kind of annoying as shit. Who the fuck would even listen to that? Governments are going to get a call from a little girl and just say "welp, she said not to, ok then!" And the missing sister just being hidden in a brush? For fuck sakes.

Also the part with Missy. What was she surprised about? The fact that Humans let the forest stay up to protect the planet? Did she WANT the planet to die? For Clara/The Doctor not to do anything and possibly get fried along with it? I thought she specifically chose Clara to do something. I thought The Doctor was her "boyfriend".

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Invectivus wrote: »
    I think I am done with this season of Doctor Who. Too many crap stories and bad acting. And enough with the focus on Clara and her personal life. Give me a companion that thats and orphaned widow.

While I admit that there have been some cool moments, I honestly believe that Moffet has to go. Should have been let go when Smith went

There's only 2 episodes left, and it seems to be a 2-parter so technically 1 story left. You may as well stick around after coming this far at least.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Sometimes I have to remind myself that this is a kids show.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Sometimes I have to remind myself that this is a kids show.

I think a lot of fans would do well to remind themselves of that.

This wasn't a great episode, but someone hating the season overall baffles me.

• Options
    Don't think of it as a bad episode of Doctor Who.

Think of it as a really good episode of Captain Planet.

• Options
    So is Selfie any good?

• Options
    I think they are starting to run out of ideas. We shall see if they end it well.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Hi.

Anyone going "BUT THAT'S NOT REAL SCIENCE WTF THIS SHOW" needs to realize that this is a show about a man who travels through time in a ship that resembles a police telephone box from the 1960's on the outside while on the inside is basically an infinite amount of space. He regularly uses a "sonic screwdriver" to do fantastical things and has been known to occasionally reboot the entire universe. He has two hearts and a respiratory bypass system and every time he dies he turns into a new person, quite literally.

This discussion has been closed.