As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Wednesday, October 23, 2013 - Cliffhanger

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited October 2013 in The Penny Arcade Hub

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    so, i should wait till all the episodes are out then

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Is that a new version of Charles?

• Options
    PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    Is that a new version of Charles?

It certainly seems that way. Mike said he wanted to redesign him, and it has been about 3 years since his last appearance.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Ohhhh, they are waiting to go to the movies and Gabe is doing something else

took me a couple reads to figure out that

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    That must be a hell of a cliffhanger

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    so, i should wait till all the episodes are out then

Yeah, I'm going to wait this time too. The wait between episodes for The Walking Dead was excrutiating.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    miaAusamiaAusa GOD Gamer Of Daters ValhallaRegistered User regular
    Interesting the return of Charles he has changed alot throughout the series, good comic though very funny

• Options
    NijhazerNijhazer Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    Nice! It's been awhile since there was a game-related comic on the site. Reading that again, it seems a little snarky-- I don't mean for it to sound that way; I'm genuinely happy with the comic.

In the most recent episode of the podcast, Mike and Jerry are going over the list of comics they currently have in the queue ("Comic A will run next Monday, comic B will run next Friday, comic C will run the Monday after that..."). It was a little disappointing to hear, because as long as I've been reading Penny Arcade, they haven't had a queue-- it was incompatible with the idea of the comic being a sort of editorial cartoon for current events in the gaming industry. Hearing that they now have a queue was a confirmation that Mike and Jerry no longer think of Penny Arcade as that kind of comic.

Of course, I wouldn't presume to tell them what the direction of their comic should be, or anything like that. I just wish they would be a little more open about that change.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    They usually bank comics in advance when they go on trips/vacations. Most of the time it's a storyline comic like Sand, but not always. Gabe even says during the podcast that it's "to cover the week we're gone."

Also sometimes their comics get written straight out of their conversations, so it's pretty easy to have those banked. You hear them write the comic about Tycho writing the novel on the fly in about 30 seconds.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Nijhazer wrote: »
    Nice! It's been awhile since there was a game-related comic on the site. Reading that again, it seems a little snarky-- I don't mean for it to sound that way; I'm genuinely happy with the comic.

In the most recent episode of the podcast, Mike and Jerry are going over the list of comics they currently have in the queue ("Comic A will run next Monday, comic B will run next Friday, comic C will run the Monday after that..."). It was a little disappointing to hear, because as long as I've been reading Penny Arcade, they haven't had a queue-- it was incompatible with the idea of the comic being a sort of editorial cartoon for current events in the gaming industry. Hearing that they now have a queue was a confirmation that Mike and Jerry no longer think of Penny Arcade as that kind of comic.

Of course, I wouldn't presume to tell them what the direction of their comic should be, or anything like that. I just wish they would be a little more open about that change.

I think that was simply to cover the hiatus of post-PAX vacation. Which podcast episode are you referring to?

Edit: If you are referring to the "Holding Court" episode, the list they refer to aren't comics but comic ideas that they have stored in "The File". The only completed comic they say they have in the can is the Father one.

PedroAsani on
  • Options
    PedroAsani wrote: »
    I think that was simply to cover the hiatus of post-PAX vacation. Which podcast episode are you referring to?

It was the episode that released yesterday (World War Why). I apologize; I forgot that those aren't available to the public until two weeks after they come out for backers.

• Options

It was the episode that released yesterday (World War Why). I apologize; I forgot that those aren't available to the public until two weeks after they come out for backers.

I'm listening now, I was saving it for whilst I was in the East queue.

• Options

Good luck!

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Is TWAU officially in canon with Fables? Did Willingham write it?

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    calamityjamiecalamityjamie Corgi Wrangler Seattle, WARegistered User staff
    @Nijhazer Even if they have a queue of comics ready to go, if something topical happens that they want to cover they'll just bump other comics that are less time sensitive back. Being ahead means they have more time/energy to focus on their side projects like the Thornwatch game and novel.

• Options

Good luck!

Cheers. Badge Acquired. So, to business.

I'm going to guess that the reason for being so far ahead might actually have been to do with Jerry's Dad, rather than the post-PAX retreat. Given the comics in hand, it makes sense.

The idea of them having a queue is a shock to them, too. I don't think it was necessarily planned with a view to permanence. Just that with their current events list, it makes sense to have some breathing space in case they need it. Turns out that if you listen carefully and look at the archive at the same time, you can see they bump the strips in-hand for the created one.
    Podcast wrote:
    Mike: Well right now we are written...we are drawn up until next Monday
    Jerry: So does that include Monday?
    Mike: Yes. There is a strip for Monday.
    Jerry: What strip is that?
    Mike: The cancer strip.
    Jerry: Then...what's Friday? What's Wednesday and Friday?
    Mike: Wednesday is gaming with Gabe, the...Battlestar Galatica...
    Jerry: ...Oh Battlestar, yeah...
    Mike: Friday is the Twitter strip

And then they proceed to write World War Why.

Now look in the archive. World War Why, How Do Writings, The Intrusion Of Actual Life (Cancer strip), The Cylorg Menace (BSG). They bumped them for the fresh one, and that is because those strips can be more flexible. You can actually hear them lay out the bones of How Do Writings about 4 minutes in.

I think they are just being more efficient with harvesting of material. Remember the old days when The File would consists of random phrases that were funny when wriiten, but lacking context later meant nothing to either of them and so were possibly lost gems?

• Options
    PA Jamie wrote: »
    @Nijhazer Even if they have a queue of comics ready to go, if something topical happens that they want to cover they'll just bump other comics that are less time sensitive back. Being ahead means they have more time/energy to focus on their side projects like the Thornwatch game and novel.

So after all my speculative writing I am beaten to the punch by an inside source. Bah.

Although, Vindication, I guess. BTW, @Jamie, can you do more Thornwatch write-ups? Maybe some Tales from the Table? It would be great to hear your take on it.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Is TWAU officially in canon with Fables? Did Willingham write it?

It's in canon.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    I might have to check it out then. I've followed all most all Fables-related material except for one or two standalone stories.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular

Actually that's the best way to purplish a web comic, to have some spare strips, especially should something unexpected happen. Like it or not, Penny Arcade is a franchise and should be threaded professionally. It only shows, that they are serious about it - and that is a good thing. Lots of other comic artists still thread their creation as side project, even after it became their main source of income, with lots of hiatuses and unsteady release schedules.