As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Who to side with?

SoonerManSoonerMan Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Our Beta Club, mostly smart kids... kind of a smaller town thing I think more localized in the south, qualified for the National Quiz Bowl Competition at the National Convention after we got second at state. Well, we had to raise $5,000 to drive or $10,000 to fly. Our goal was to drive. Our sponsor/coach, talked to the Superintendent and did what she could while try to teach and worry about her family. Superintendent himself suggested we give ourselves a month to get as much as we could so the School Board wouldn't see a bunch of dreamers with $700 wanting to fly to Nashville. Superintendent also said it was most likely NOT going to be approved for us to drive since we waited to look to ask.

Enter girlfriend's mom. My friends constantly tell me how unlucky it is for me to have to deal with her, and I know. We differ greatly in "styles" of approaching problems. I can get just as mad as anyone, but I usually approach stuff like this with a level head. She storms in and screams like the world owes her something until people cave in. Her view is that our sponsor doesn't want us to go (she was going to give up $5k a year by missing some training to go with us) and her figures come up to be $6000 less to fly and get rooms, so it's only around $4000 for my girlfriend's mom's figures. She bitches her way through chain of command so now if I side with actually wanting to go, I make my coach/sponsor look like shit. I don't want to do that.

On the other hand, it'd be awesome to go. I just don't want to make anyone look like shit, especially my sponsor for the sake of my girlfriend's mom. She's a real bitch. I just don't want to be in the fucking crossfire at all, but kind of put myself in this situation since I'm the team captain. More as requested, thanks in advance.

Rah, Oklahoma! Rah, Oklahoma! Rah, Oklahoma~! O-K-U!
SoonerMan on

• Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    Being angry doesn't make her wrong. If her numbers check out, she may be right about the sponsor. More importantly, do you want to go to this thing, and do your teammates? If yes, you're perfectly entitled to take advantage of whatever gets you there. If you don't really care, don't rock the boat. You should be able to ask your sponsor whether the lady's accusations are true without coming off as an ass, in any case. You have a right to know.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Why don't you go to your sponser with these new figures and go hey, can you spot anything wrong with this? If not lets do this.

You haven't done anything wrong, you've just sought someone elses advice. That isn't a dickish thing to do.

If it works maybe all three of you can go to the board with it.

Blake T on
  • Options
    crakecrake Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Don't even have to mention your GF's mom. "we got to gether and went through the numbers again and this is what we came up with." Maybe throw in a minor guilt trip about how important this is to you all and how much you want it for your school record when applying to universities... etc GF's mother's style will get people to cave maybe, but your style is the one that make people think they're doing a great thing.

crake on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I don't care about going, really, I just don't think that my girlfriend's mom is doing the right thing and I feel morally obligated to say, "stop this shit. Quit trampling people to get what you want. It's not that important."

SoonerMan on
  • Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Y'know, I used to hate aggressive people, always thought there was a better way to be. They have thier place though, and that's getting the job fucking done. It is unlikely that you will be able to fly to your convention on sunshine and unicorns. The less likely the event, the more aggressive someone would have to be in it's pursuit. If someone wants it bad enough to pressure people into getting it - dude, that's just the way it works. Someone has to fight the fight, someone has to push through the resistance. Sounds like you have a freakin marine of a GF mom. Be the board on the wave and ride that mother to where you want to be. Is a board a wave? No. But it takes advantage of the motion.

You're not responsible for other people, so don't feel bad if yolu disagree with their methods. You'd be an idiot not to take advantage of natural things though, and this lady sounds like she's a force to be reckoned with. Sooth personal damage, sure, that's just being a good person. But let the natural drive of this person break through the roadblocks and resistances you're having. That's being a smart person.

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    GrundlterrorGrundlterror Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Yeah, I understand that you are probably close with your coach and sponsor and see unleashing your girlfriends mom on them like unleashing the wolves.... but the fact is if she has a point, which is what everyone else in this equation is lacking. She did the math and it's not going to cost $10,000 to fly there, it's only going to cost $6,000. It seems like shes the only one passionate about your cause. You have to realize a lot of people won't budge unless you are somewhat agressive.... and not everyone who is nice to you is your friend.

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Well being the team captain and a very competitive person, I was the only one passionate about it before my girlfriend's mom stepped in and that's when I knew it wasn't worth it. I can be aggressive and get what I want as well, but I know how to be calm minded and not belittle people to do it. I think the only reason we're going now, it was approved, is because her and her mom have been so adamant about it that if they back out they look like crap. To me, they already do for doing things the way they did.

Unfortunately I feel like everything is being paid with "blood money" to have gotten here and we're just walking over our sponsor. She told me she won't feel remorseful or hold any grudge against any of us because we're not responsible for the drama that has followed this.

My girlfriend went to the board meeting, I didn't to keep myself from making a scene. All my girlfriend could say was, "SHE WAS SO NEGATIVE. SHE WAS JUST SO NEGATIVE." She referring to our sponsor, but my girlfriend and her mom are... well I guess hopelessly optimistic. They just simply will not admit that something cannot be done. Great, I guess but I don't know what they have to prove. They made it sound like they were doing it for me and a friend of mine that's going too since we're seniors. We don't give a fuck, we just wanna get out of here.

The biggest difference between our original trip and the current one, is our sponsor wanted to take the original three seniors (one dropped out) on an awesome trip we didn't have to worry about anything for. Whereas now we have to pay for our own food and spending money, which is perfectly fine until I equate something else into the mix. The other three people going are bringing their parents, which means they do not necessarily have to worry about food, their parents aren't going to let them go hungry. My friend and me can do it, sure, but I just think it's a tad fucked up.

My girlfriend and me have been arguing about it, she's pulling her mom's tactics. "SCREAM LIKE THIS SO EVERYONE CAN HEAR US!" I haven't fired back the same way, simply telling her how I feel very calmly. Apparently the reason I do not want the other parents to go is because, "I'm jealous mine aren't going." This hurt me because it made it sound like poor bumfuck Geoff's parents can't afford to go. No, it's simply I will feel like my buddy and me will be chillin' while everyone else is having a family vacation. It's cool, but I'm simply wondering where the team is in all of this. She also left me a message, I missed the call, to ask me if I knew how much I was hurting her, when I haven't screamed at her, yelled, or attacked her in anyway. I've simply asked questions and she's flipped out about it.

The "reason" for going is so we can go compete at Nationals. I told her Chip (friend) and me might not go, "WELL WE'LL GO WITHOUT YOU! WE'LL HAVE FUN!" "But, I thought we were going to compete...?" "....*glare*"

They're just so fucking hellbent on going and I simply want to know why things would turn out the way me or him think they will. I keep taking things she has said and, apparently, misinterpreted them greatly which I can gather from her response, "No, no. That's not what I'm saying." "Well, can you tell me what you ARE saying so I can figure out where I'm not getting this?" Then she won't answer.

Simply, I think her and her mom are fucking crazy and childish. On the bigger picture, I guess we're going even though I'm scared to death of flying. I think my friend and myself are going to try some fund raisers to get us our own cash, which I'm sure will be construed as being cocks and worrying about only ourselves; but at this point.. fuck'em. Help, advice, comments, kthx.

SoonerMan on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    think my friend and myself are going to try some fund raisers to get us our own cash, which I'm sure will be construed as being cocks and worrying about only ourselves; but at this point.. fuck'em. Help, advice, comments, kthx.

I guarantee that in five years you're not going to care about whether or not people in high school thought you were a cock.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    witch_iewitch_ie Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Feral has a good point. Five years from now, you're either a) going to look back on this and not care about the whole silly situation or b) not think about at all.

Anyway, it sounds to me like your girlfriend and her mom got involved because of you as I didn't see their relation to the entire effort in the information you provided. They probably saw it as really important to you and so decided to do whatever they could to make it happen. You have to understand that not everyone is cool-headed and logical. This seems to be the case especially with your girlfriend's Mom - she reacts emotionally to most situations. Your girlfriend is likely to be similar since her Mom is one of her primary models for behavior. At this point, I suggest being appreciative of their help. I know you feel some moral obligation to your sponsor, but appreciating their help doesn't take away from that loyalty. You can still think your coach is the greatest - maybe not the greatest at planning trips, but hey, no one's perfect.

With regard to the "family vacation" situation, that's a toughy. If you and your friend are the only two who have no parents along, it's possible that others will welcome you into their fold. Maybe even buy you food. Also, it seems to me that you're getting hung up on stuff that's not all that important. For example, how you get to go on the trip and the fact that other people are going. It's happening and if you let yourself, you may have a great time, even if it's not originally the awesome all expenses paid trip you envisioned.

witch_ie on
  • Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    SoonerMan wrote: »
    She also left me a message, I missed the call, to ask me if I knew how much I was hurting her, when I haven't screamed at her, yelled, or attacked her in anyway. I've simply asked questions and she's flipped out about it.

The "reason" for going is so we can go compete at Nationals. I told her Chip (friend) and me might not go, "WELL WE'LL GO WITHOUT YOU! WE'LL HAVE FUN!" "But, I thought we were going to compete...?" "....*glare*"

They're just so fucking hellbent on going and I simply want to know why things would turn out the way me or him think they will. I keep taking things she has said and, apparently, misinterpreted them greatly which I can gather from her response, "No, no. That's not what I'm saying." "Well, can you tell me what you ARE saying so I can figure out where I'm not getting this?" Then she won't answer.

Simply, I think her and her mom are fucking crazy and childish. On the bigger picture, I guess we're going even though I'm scared to death of flying. I think my friend and myself are going to try some fund raisers to get us our own cash, which I'm sure will be construed as being cocks and worrying about only ourselves; but at this point.. fuck'em. Help, advice, comments, kthx.

You know you just shit all over your GF and her mother right? They got involved so they could do this thing with and for you, and now you're telling them that you don't want it because you are better than them. Your methods are better, your morals are superior, and your ends are holier. You are better at behaving, better at treating people and know more about how the world works than either of them. The are such terrible people that you would rather not do something you would otherwise really want to do if they are associated with it, they are that fucking tainted and your contempt for them is vast and unyeilding. (while exaggerated to make a point, this is the heart of the message your actions are portraying; if it sounds harsh, thats because it is - if I was your GF I'd be crying by now)

Are you sure none of this is sour grapes? Aren't you just a bit annoyed that even though you see your way as 'better', their way has been undeniably effective? That's got to be a solid kick in the nuts, yeh? I think someone may have had an idea that got commandeered by someone else - it doesn't feel like your idea any more and so its natural to feel resentment. But nip it in the bud, yeh? It sounds like a great opportunity, and you'll regret it if you don't go. No point in moping about whining 'but I wanted to do it my way' ! - You don't have to be loud to be a passive-aggressive buzzkill.

EDIT: Oh yah, good job setting your attitude up as yet another obsticle to overcome. Way to step in front of that train. It's quite the statement, but I don't think its going to stop for you.

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    rchourchou Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Just drop it, dude. Don't bring it up again, enjoy the trip, and stop being so resistant to the idea of going. Don't raise your own money (yes, makes you look like a complete douche), don't hold a grudge, and try to be a little bit understanding to your girlfriend/girlfriend's mom. They were doing it for you. You.

You have people who care about you enough to fight for your motherfucking high school extra curriculars. So, they deal with things differently than you do. It doesn't make them inherently wrong, nor you inherently right. Passive-aggressive behavior is just as as bad as aggresive emotional screaming.

Enjoy the trip, and have fun the rest of your senior year.

rchou on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I just want it to all fucking in right now, I mean I did not want them to do it for us, let alone SOLELY me. I am simply not that type of person.

Perhaps there is a bit of sourness from myself since the way I wanted to do it didn't work out, and the way it IS getting done isn't my cup of tea. That does bother me, because I don't think that someone should have to shit on people to get what they want, ironically it seems that's what I'm doing.

My reason to believe it is NOT for me is because her mom is all, "zOMG I'm the mother of Ashton! Fucking hear me roar!" They're still going if Chip and me decide to back out, I don't believe it is for us. Her mom likes to make people think that they owe her something. I guess if it was done for me, I don't like the way it was done. It's not, "WE R ACTING LIKE COKS 4 GEOFF!!!," but still if it were done for me I don't like how it's been done.

Why should we not raise our own money? I mean the other three families are going to be there to fund their kids' needs, essentially. Because our parents work their asses off (girlfriend's mom is retired, other kids mom is a teacher and won't have to work, and the runs his own business) they're not able to go. That is perfectly fine, but I still think we deserve to put ourselves in a decent position to have just as good of a time as they will. Am I willing to share the money? Hell ya. I'm all about equality if they're willing to work for it.

With our sponsor not going now, I think the parents going instead of her, would make me feel like it's their trip and opportunity to say, "We can do it without the club sponsor." Which is pretty fubar'd.

I'm thankful, sure, but good lord I didn't want a slaughter to get where we are.

SoonerMan on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I don't think it's a problem if you want to raise your own money, but I think, to keep the situation from getting worse, you should explain why you're doing it and let others join in.

Also, keep in mind, your girlfriend may say they're going whether or not you are, but it kind of seems to that based on the way you described it, it's because she's frustrated that you haven't shown your appreciation. I mean, can you imagine the energy that goes into being as emotional or aggressive as they had to be to get the trip to happen? Now imagine that the person you did it for is complaining about how you did it and upset that the outcome wasn't exactly as planned. It seems she was angry and is also not willng to throw her and her mother's efforts in the trash just because you don't like how it all turned out.

Also, you're all going there to compete...as a TEAM. Try to bring the team spirit back and stop focusing on the bullshit politics of the situation. They're only important if you make them that way.

Also, it sucks that your sponsor isn't going...maybe you could arrange for a team phone call or something. It would be easiest to do that if you made sure that it was clear to the parents and others on the trip that they were appreciated as well first.

witch_ie on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Well what's the best way to, I guess, make this up to her. I mean I can't really do a whole lot, I'm a really opinionated person and just can't find the strength to shut the fuck up. Sure, it's great we're going but also there's an empty spot because we lost our sponsor going in the process. I cannot think of a way to show her my appreciation, while not much it is there, without admitting I'm completely wrong. Sure I can admit that I did fuck up here and there, but that's something neither of them can do at the moment. I guess this is a, "Suck it up and be the better person"-situation, right?

SoonerMan on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Kind of. I think if you calmly and I don't mean cool headedly (it's okay to show some emotion here and she'll probably be more likely to empathize with you), discuss this with your girlfriend and tell her how you feel, she might understand. Just explain why you're disappointed, but also tell her you really do appreciate the effort she and her mother have put in. Don't attack them. Don't talk about their methods. Just talk about the results. Also, you may need to apologize. You don't have to apologize for your stance, but the way it made her feel. Your intention was never to hurt her or her mother. It was just a frustrating situation for all involved. Don't expect her to apologize and really don't expect one from her mother. If she does, accept it gracefully.

After that and during the same conversation tell her that from this point forward that you're going to be very positive about this trip. Tell her you still want to fundraise with other team members who also want to and that it will serve as an added bonus. Then, make sure you guys have a great time by being patient with her and not letting the differences between her mother and yourself become an issue. After all, you're dating the girl, not her mother. You just have to understand that she probably loves her mom and doesn't need to hear any criticism of her from you. That makes the two of you combatants when you should be on her side and she should be on yours.

General rule of thumb: never criticize a significant other's parents/family. If they start doing it first, support them, but don't say anything you may regret later.

witch_ie on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I think her mom would like to hear the, "You're dating her, not her mother," because she fucking needs to.

I don't know how to deal with her, she's so... two-faced, I guess. Kind of person that lives through their kid and pisses me off.

SoonerMan on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I completely understand that. Still, and here I'm going to sound a little preachy...you need to let go of your anger towards her. It's just going to make situations in which you have to interact with her more difficult. And just an addition to that quote, "You're dating her, not her mother, but her mother is an important part of her life that you have to accept."

It's incredibly difficult to get parents to see where they're wrong...even more difficult with other people's parents. So my strategy is to let it go and offer an olive branch. You may still not like her or agree with her, but at least you'll be able to have civil conversations and things will be easier on your girlfriend too. She'll know you're doing it for her.

witch_ie on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I'm just throwing advice given by my friend in here (not the one going to the convention, but more a less my really close girlfriend... but who is my distant cousin) that I should put my foot down say, "cut the kid shit. I tried to be the adult and I'm sticking with it, you can grow up when you want and I'll be waiting for you." I want to lean this way, but it seems really sadistic of me to just kind of taunt her like this.

In defense of her advice, she said that my girlfriend hung up on me with no reason I shouldn't feel like the cock since I was just trying to talk.

SoonerMan on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Hmm...I hate to say it, but she cares about you and I don't. So, in my mind, she's having an emotional reaction to what's going on and not necessarily thinking about what it is YOU want to have happen. She's just as mad at your girlfriend as you were previously. Before you act, think about what you want the consequences to be.

Do you want to stay with your girlfriend? Do you want to be happy with her? Or do you want to be unhappy and/or break up?

Also, you know she was upset with you, so she did have a reason to hang up on you. Not a good one, but it's there nonetheless. Also, about that conversation I mentioned before, have it in person in a peaceful setting with no doors to slam. Get her to meet you somewhere to talk. She'll probably want to if she's had enough time to cool down.

witch_ie on