As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East 2014 BYOC Information & FAQ

• Options
    NirvanatoneNirvanatone Registered User new member
    From last year few suggestions for this years BYOC if possible:

1) Can we have the Tournaments pre-announced and posted in multiple locations, with server-info etc pre-printed? We had alot of issues 2+ hours on setup last year in a few tournaments(TF2).
    2) My personal vote is to keep us in the expo hall. I like being centrally located :). I think i'm the odd one out though. Also im a big fan of airflow in lan rooms!

• Options
    JonoseelJonoseel Here Be Unicorns and Dragons Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    According to the website BYOC is not sold out
    http://www.showclix.com/event/3786786
    JwulPYS.jpg

Jonoseel on
    Pax Eat Stuff: 3 Day Badges[]; BYOC Badge[]; A Roof to stay under[X]; A ride of some sort[].
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Null

Jonoseel on
    Pax Eat Stuff: 3 Day Badges[]; BYOC Badge[]; A Roof to stay under[X]; A ride of some sort[].
  • Options
    VapokVapok Just a Guy. BostonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Jonoseel wrote: »
    According to the website BYOC is not sold out
    http://www.showclix.com/event/3786786
    JwulPYS.jpg

It's a very small amount. Most likely a cancellation.

Vapok on
    enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    Vapok
  • Options
    Tichinde925Tichinde925 Registered User regular
    There's 4 tickets left. If you go to reserve those 4 for purchase, then the website says its sold out.

• Options
    PoliticianPolitician Registered User regular
    There's 4 tickets left. If you go to reserve those 4 for purchase, then the website says its sold out.

I purchased 2 of them. Cya There!

• Options
    A.SabotA.Sabot Boston, MaRegistered User regular
    And now there are no more tickets!

Pax East 2016: BYOC [x], 3 Day Passes [x], car[x], license[x], new computer[x]
  • Options
    macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    I know @thebrawnyman got one of the last slots and will be joining my group.

• Options
    PoliticianPolitician Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    -I'll be by myself in BYOC (i.e. I am not partnering up with any friends to play in BYOC). Is that a problem? Are other BYOC attendees generally friendly and willing to play with newbies like myself?

What no Friends? There is a newbie section where they put all the first timers. Please stick to your side of the area.
    -Am I limited to games approved by BYOC, or can I play whatever I want?

The only game played is COD (Call of Doggie)
    -I have a great gaming PC, but I don't have any flashy peripherals or fancy cases. Will I be shunned by others in BYOC?

Yes we all have blinged out gaming rigs. I would suggest buying a LED fan and hot gluing it to the top of your rig.
    Basically, I'm just looking for BYOC to be a comfortable place to meet other PC gamers and have fun playing games, hopefully without any pressure or aggression (specifically toward newbies).

You will be fine once you get through the hazing process.

Can't wait to meet ya.

Poli

Politician on
  • Options
    Politician wrote: »
    -I'll be by myself in BYOC (i.e. I am not partnering up with any friends to play in BYOC). Is that a problem? Are other BYOC attendees generally friendly and willing to play with newbies like myself?

What no Friends? There is a newbie section where they put all the first timers. Please stick to your side of the area.
    -Am I limited to games approved by BYOC, or can I play whatever I want?

The only game played is COD (Call of Doggie)
    -I have a great gaming PC, but I don't have any flashy peripherals or fancy cases. Will I be shunned by others in BYOC?

Yes we all have binged out gaming rigs. I would suggest buying a LED fan and hot gluing it to the top of your rig.
    Basically, I'm just looking for BYOC to be a comfortable place to meet other PC gamers and have fun playing games, hopefully without any pressure or aggression (specifically toward newbies).

You will be fine once you get through the hazing process.

Can't wait to meet ya.

Poli

I already don't like you.....

• Options
    I dunno @Jonoseel... @Politician had me at hot gluing an LED Fan to the top of the case.

@scottyb1218, if you can't read through the banter fodder in Politician's reply, know that BYOC will be a welcoming place for you and all other first timers.

Vapok
  • Options
    scottyb1218scottyb1218 BostonRegistered User regular
    I want to thank everyone for their responses - I'm very much looking forward to it!

sig.php?id=222
  • Options
    remotehumanremotehuman Boston, MARegistered User new member
    Looking forward to BYOC. This is my first PAX and going on my own. I play CS:GO and BF4 (TF2 a bit also) I wouldn't mind playing with a few people before PAX to get familiar.

• Options
    aBByNormaLaBByNormaL Registered User regular
    PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • Options
    remotehumanremotehuman Boston, MARegistered User new member
    aBByNormaL wrote: »

Thanks a ton @aBByNormaL I'm going to add some people once I get home from work!

• Options
    FireWaterFireWater Registered User regular
    Yeah I haven't byoced in years, I'm really looking forward to it! Should I get regular cat 5 cable or cat 5e?

• Options
    FireWater wrote: »
    Yeah I haven't byoced in years, I'm really looking forward to it! Should I get regular cat 5 cable or cat 5e?

I would bring a 25foot cat5e cable to be on the safe side. You probably won't need it that long, but since it's luck of the draw were we end up placing the switches, at least you'll know you'll be able to reach. =)

Vapok
  • Options
    shepdshepd Registered User regular
    If you can set the speed on your network card (never seen one where you can't) it shouldn't matter what category you bring as long as you match it up (Cat 3 = 10 mbits, Cat 5 = 100 mbits, Cat 5e/6 = 1000 mbits). Doubt you'd even notice 100 mbit v. gbit for BYOC.

As vapok said, length matters. 25 feet for sure, or longer. If you're awesome, bring more than one if you have them. I know I helped out someone who was in a pinch. If the tabs are broken, fix the cable or buy a new one. Nobody wants to be the guy who has to keep plugging your cable in because it keeps falling out.

• Options
    CAT 3... lol.

Vapok
  • Options
    aBByNormaLaBByNormaL Registered User regular
    Vapok wrote: »
    CAT 3... lol.

Isn't that string and tin can technology :)

PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • Options
    shepdshepd Registered User regular
    aBByNormaL wrote: »
    CAT 3... lol.

Isn't that string and tin can technology :)

No, that's arcnet. I used to wire that up with cheap telephone cord. :D

• Options
    PAX RESALE 4 BYOC REMAIN UNSOLD

• Options
    Jonoseel wrote: »
    PAX RESALE 4 BYOC REMAIN UNSOLD

Not exactly sure we need to keep a tally.

I would consider BYOC sold out, and if you don't have a BYOC ticket, and get lucky enough to get one between now and PAX, then lucky you are and you should also buy a lottery ticket and split the winnings with me.

Or, don't and just prance around your bedroom excited that you're going to be in BYOC!

Vapok
  • Options
    Hey just out of curiosity, are there are lot of people that bring gaming laptops?

• Options
    contrefaitcontrefait Registered User regular
    I know I do because I live no where near any PAX and don't want to ship a computer and monitor.

PAX East 2016 Checklist
    Passes: ▬ Hotel: ▬ Flight: [color=red]☑[/color]
  • Options
    d3c0yd3c0y Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Hey just out of curiosity, are there are lot of people that bring gaming laptops?

My girlfriend will be bringing a bedazzled net book to take up space on one of the 2 tables I have.

On a more serious note, I'm also bringing my laptop to use just in case my tower decides to blow up.

d3c0y on
  • Options
    itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    I'm bringing my gaming laptop (Dell M6500 with Core i7 Exreme and 16GB of RAM)...been my gaming laptop for the last 3 PAX's and haven't had a single issue (knocking on wood now)

signature.png
  • Options
    Our group will be all laptops. I have a Lenovo Y500 and an Alienware M11x (my old machine) and then there will be two MacBook Pros with other group members. One of the Macbook's only has Intel HD4000 graphics, so that one will have to play some less intense games.

• Options
    WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular

Uh .... no.

*pushes ASUS RoG laptop and custom Sager under a coat.*

Right. Like I'm going to lug a full liquid-cooled tower from Kansas. On American.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    You'd be surprised what people lug in. =)

But, yeah... Laptops are pretty common.

Vapok
  • Options
    d3c0yd3c0y Registered User regular
    There's bound to be someone with a razer blade. Would be me if I had that much disposable income for an over the top flashy laptop

• Options
    A.SabotA.Sabot Boston, MaRegistered User regular
    d3c0y wrote: »
    There's bound to be someone with a razer blade. Would be me if I had that much disposable income for an over the top flashy laptop
    Well I have 3.

Pax East 2016: BYOC [x], 3 Day Passes [x], car[x], license[x], new computer[x]
  • Options
    A.Sabot wrote: »
    d3c0y wrote: »
    Well I have 3.

Well sucks to suck cause I have 5.5

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Are there any MOBA games that are known to work well within the BYOC LAN? Since most of them connect to outside servers they seem problematic. Are there any that we know have a LAN mode that works well?

macrogeek on
  • Options
    macrogeek wrote: »
    Are there any MOBA games that are known to work well within the BYOC LAN? Since most of them connect to outside servers they seem problematic. Are there any that we know have a LAN mode that works well?

That's a great question. On the Freeplay side of the PC Room, we try to limit the number of games installed that require outside online servers. That said, we have worked really hard at optimizing our network infrastructure to allow the maximum amount of bandwidth segmentation that we can get per seat. To that end, the past couple of PAX's, we've seen fantastic network performance, even for online games.

So, in BYOC, playing MOBA games, even though they're online servers, should work well enough to have a good time playing the game. Obviously, that's all dependant on what's going on in the PC Room as a whole, so mileage may vary.

We were very happy about the performance of the network last PAX East.

Vapok
  • Options
    [H]olyGeekboy[H]olyGeekboy PAX dad and PC builder ClevelandRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    You'd be surprised what people lug in. =)

Like 200 pounds of lucite and 17 gallons of mineral oil? ;)

p3HkbcM.png
  • Options
    TripleozeroTripleozero Registered User regular
    Anybody has any experience shipping their PCs to PAX as opposed to driving it up? If anybody has any suggestions on best shippers or best practices, it could help our group out a bit. [The current idea is just boxing everything up and UPSing it to the hotel.]

• Options
    Anybody has any experience shipping their PCs to PAX as opposed to driving it up? If anybody has any suggestions on best shippers or best practices, it could help our group out a bit. [The current idea is just boxing everything up and UPSing it to the hotel.]

There is actually a FedEx office right on the inside of the BCEC. My advice is to have FedEx receive it there.

Vapok
  • Options
    Really excited for this BYOC should be a lot of fun.

• Options
    TripleozeroTripleozero Registered User regular
    There is actually a FedEx office right on the inside of the BCEC. My advice is to have FedEx receive it there.

Sounds like a great idea, actually. Wonder if there's any way to pick it up from there and set it up early with the rest of the BYOC stuff. I'm picturing trying to maneuver through the expo hall with a computer in tow, and it's not pretty.