As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East 2014 BYOC Information & FAQ

• Options
    DreggorDreggor [E] PAX East PC Room Deputy Registered User regular
    Group seating chart updated.

I will be closing Group Seating registration on Sunday March 23rd at 11:59pm EST.

-=Dreggor
    PAX Prime PC Room Deputy
    PAX East PC Room Deputy
  • Options
    TrandescentTrandescent Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Last years BYOC I came in with this rig, the first rig I had built with pretty horrid cable management.

After a stern talking to from the kind folks (and one enforcer) that helped me last PAX at midnight (thank you guys a ton) , I went ahead and tidied up my cable management as best as I could before BYOC this year. Left side is the management from December, right side is a photo from today.

Last thing I want to do is vectorize the PAX logo and make a vinyl cutout for the side of my case. Just shot an email to PAX Questions making sure this was okay

Trandescent on
    8elUgf9.png

PAX East 2018 4-Day Pass [X] BYOC Pass [X] Hotel Reservation [X]

See y'all at PAX East 2018!
  • Options
    MrFett21MrFett21 Registered User regular
    Copyright infringement doesn't apply for things created for personal use I believe. As long as you weren't selling them or something at PAX haha Then they may get mad.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2014
    I wouldn't guess at the law one way or the other in that case. I don't think anyone will mind though if you make a decal for yourself unless that's a product that pax is already selling.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    zerzhul wrote: »
    I wouldn't guess at the law one way or the other in that case. I don't think anyone will mind though if you make a decal for yourself unless that's a product that pax is already selling.
    Yeah, I didn't think it would be a problem either but my mother is the one who owns the vinyl cutter and she wanted me to at least ask before we went ahead and did it.

8elUgf9.png

• Options
    DolarrahDolarrah New JerseyRegistered User regular
    MrFett21 wrote: »
    Copyright infringement doesn't apply for things created for personal use I believe. As long as you weren't selling them or something at PAX haha Then they may get mad.

Unfortunately you are mistaken on this point. The few exceptions to the copyright law are for non-profit educational purposes. And even then they are very picky about what qualifies. For example a Teacher can request students copy an except from a book the student is using, but a teacher can not legally buy one copy of a book and make 20 copies of a page to give to each student. Profit or lack there of has no bearing on the copyright infringement. Use of the source material must either have express written permission (Verbal is not sufficient) or the company must have an established acceptable use policy (most gaming companies will allow use of their logo and likenesses for "Positive Promotional Activities" like fan sites and fan gatherings. For example you could have a sign that says "ESO FAN GATHERING" and use the ESO logo, but if you were to make the same sign and say "ESO SUCKS GATHERING", you would be infringing the copyright by using it in a derogatory way. There have been several lawsuits against people for using logos for non profit positive use which have been lost by the infringing party. The nastiest companies to deal with are EA and the former ATARI Corporation of America. Bethesda, Blizzard and WB Games I believe all have Positive use exemptions for their major games. You should check carefully before treading in these waters, especially with companies that have a history of cash grabs like Atari and Perfect World.

• Options
    Dolarrah wrote: »
    MrFett21 wrote: »

Unfortunately you are mistaken on this point. The few exceptions to the copyright law are for non-profit educational purposes. And even then they are very picky about what qualifies. For example a Teacher can request students copy an except from a book the student is using, but a teacher can not legally buy one copy of a book and make 20 copies of a page to give to each student. Profit or lack there of has no bearing on the copyright infringement. Use of the source material must either have express written permission (Verbal is not sufficient) or the company must have an established acceptable use policy (most gaming companies will allow use of their logo and likenesses for "Positive Promotional Activities" like fan sites and fan gatherings. For example you could have a sign that says "ESO FAN GATHERING" and use the ESO logo, but if you were to make the same sign and say "ESO SUCKS GATHERING", you would be infringing the copyright by using it in a derogatory way. There have been several lawsuits against people for using logos for non profit positive use which have been lost by the infringing party. The nastiest companies to deal with are EA and the former ATARI Corporation of America. Bethesda, Blizzard and WB Games I believe all have Positive use exemptions for their major games. You should check carefully before treading in these waters, especially with companies that have a history of cash grabs like Atari and Perfect World.

Nice, well at the end of the day I bet PAX wouldn't care and I would take a guess people advertising them for free on their computers using their own material is ok. But again, what do I know. Cant wait for PAX!

• Options
    macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    You could probably use the PAX Community Logo.

• Options
    mijit88mijit88 Registered User regular
    So with pax being a few weeks away, any more info on byoc coming soon?

• Options
    [H]olyGeekboy[H]olyGeekboy PAX dad and PC builder ClevelandRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Getting closer... nVidia's driver situation for "2D surround" (triple-head gaming) is awful. I've filed a ticket, basically all drivers since September won't work with my monitors due to EDID checking.
    s28hguibn7i3.jpg
    wiqzvn95sc0q.jpg

p3HkbcM.png
  • Options
    taumesontaumeson PAX PC Room Manager Minnesota?Registered User regular
    mijit88 wrote: »
    So with pax being a few weeks away, any more info on byoc coming soon?

Yup. Soon! Nailing down load-in and an exciting new endeavor.

yBfDKg5.png
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Yeah, I didn't think it would be a problem either but my mother is the one who owns the vinyl cutter and she wanted me to at least ask before we went ahead and did it.

If you're selling it you will run up against trademark law in addition to copyright law -- two different (but in some cases related) things.

As far as copyright goes, there are more than just a few exceptions. You're allowed to draw whatever you want on your box, and you can create a sticker of whatever you want on your box. Additionally, if you make enough changes that it becomes a significantly different piece of content (Andy Warhol was famous for this) then you are free and clear of copyright restrictions.

Net net -- feel free to do what you want to do with your box, but don't distribute anything without a license from Khoo.

taumeson on
    yBfDKg5.png
  • Options
    DolarrahDolarrah New JerseyRegistered User regular
    Um, Andy was usually commissioned to do the work, or had permission. You are hardly allowed to do what ever you want. Go ahead and put a dell logo on a Asus box and see if once Dell finds out you don't have a lawsuit on your hands. Of course that is trademark and not copyright. If you buy a sticker, you can do what you want with the sticker, if you make the sticker, your gambling. Example, My Alienware has a ASUS ROGcon Sticker on it. Its a legal sticker and I can put it where I want.

• Options
    We're not going to have an argument about copyright law here. As has been said a bunch of times, if you want absolute certainty, email Robert and ask.

• Options
    [H]olyGeekboy[H]olyGeekboy PAX dad and PC builder ClevelandRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Dolarrah wrote: »
    You are hardly allowed to do what ever you want. Go ahead and put a dell logo on a Asus box and see if once Dell finds out you don't have a lawsuit on your hands.

This is the wrongest thing I've read on the subject in quite a while.

p3HkbcM.png
  • Options
    What did I just say?

• Options
    JonoseelJonoseel Here Be Unicorns and Dragons Boston, MARegistered User regular
    What did I just say?
    We're not going to have an argument about copyright law here. As has been said a bunch of times, if you want absolute certainty, email Robert and ask.

Thats what you just said. :D

Pax Eat Stuff: 3 Day Badges[]; BYOC Badge[]; A Roof to stay under[X]; A ride of some sort[].
  • Options
    FireWaterFireWater Registered User regular
    So I am a little confused in terms of the BYOC early entrance.

Should I take a taxi to the Westin and walk in early from the skybridge there to the BYOC? Will security know that BYOC people get in early every year?

or is there another effective destination I should use.

Thanks!

• Options
    edited March 2014
    FireWater wrote: »
    So I am a little confused in terms of the BYOC early entrance.

Should I take a taxi to the Westin and walk in early from the skybridge there to the BYOC?

No.
    FireWater wrote: »
    Will security know that BYOC people get in early every year?

Definitely Maybe. We want them to know and we tell them, but it doesn't always get to everybody who needs to know.

Edit: So what should you do? You should follow the load-in procedures that will be emailed hopefully by this weekend.

taumeson on
    yBfDKg5.png
  • Options
    Ok great, I wasn't aware an e-mail with detailed instructions was being sent out!

Thanks!

• Options
    What did I just say?
    With greatest apologies and humility, Zerzhul, I can only offer this in response:
    "And the scorpion said to the frog: 'I cannot help it, it is in my nature.'"

Anyway, Looking forward to seeing the PCs. :D

p3HkbcM.png
  • Options
    hadukenhaduken [E] Lancaster, PaRegistered User new member
    edited March 2014
    Hey Everybody! Just wanted to provide a quick update on BYOC, first and foremost : DreamWish will be our fearless leader. I believe he'll be posting here in the not too distant future.

There will be an email getting sent out; but we would also encourage you to follow us on Twitter "@BYOC_East". We'll be updating it prior and during the show!

Cheers!

Haduuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuken!

haduken on
  • Options
    QuintiousQuintious Registered User regular
    Welp, my new Alienware laptop arrived today. i7 4930, 32 gigs of RAM, dual 880m video cards, TrueLife HD display w/ 3D capabilities, SSD boot, etc. etc. etc.

Sad thing is, I'm really not much of a video gamer, it's gonna sit in BYOC doing mostly nothing. Ah well, at least it'll look good playing movies on the flight :P. I've really gotta work on my fiscal restraint, heh. BYOC related note - I would be interested in playing a strategy game or 2 if anybody is of similar mind.

• Options
    Quintious wrote: »
    Welp, my new Alienware laptop arrived today. i7 4930, 32 gigs of RAM, dual 880m video cards, TrueLife HD display w/ 3D capabilities, SSD boot, etc. etc. etc.

Sad thing is, I'm really not much of a video gamer, it's gonna sit in BYOC doing mostly nothing. Ah well, at least it'll look good playing movies on the flight :P. I've really gotta work on my fiscal restraint, heh. BYOC related note - I would be interested in playing a strategy game or 2 if anybody is of similar mind.
    Holy shit what. Do you have any needs for this processing power or is it just because you could afford it? (cause i'll totally trade you my more than capable browsing laptop)

8elUgf9.png

• Options
    QuintiousQuintious Registered User regular
    Quintious wrote: »

Holy shit what. Do you have any needs for this processing power or is it just because you could afford it? (cause i'll totally trade you my more than capable browsing laptop)

Were I to ever enter myself as an entire team at the Capture The Flag tournament @ Defcon again, I would likely utilise most of its capabilities in that - but since I already own a black card for life, the odds of me bothering are slim. Mostly it's just because I've got this weird hangup by which I figure if I'm gonna buy something, I might as well do it right. Plus I can write it off on my taxes as a consulting expense.

Down for some Civ 5, my overkill overcompensation vs. your fully capable machine?

• Options
    I think someone just wanted to show he has money to burn lolol.

Anyways, I am looking forward to the e-mail describing my logistics, so I can plan accordingly.

• Options
    PoliticianPolitician Registered User regular
    haduken wrote: »
    Hey Everybody! Just wanted to provide a quick update on BYOC, first and foremost : DreamWish will be our fearless leader. I believe he'll be posting here in the not too distant future.

There will be an email getting sent out; but we would also encourage you to follow us on Twitter "@BYOC_East". We'll be updating it prior and during the show!

Cheers!

Haduuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuken!

Ok is @East_BYOC never to be used again; safe too unfollow?

• Options
    VapokVapok Just a Guy. BostonRegistered User regular
    Politician wrote: »
    Ok is @East_BYOC never to be used again; safe too unfollow?

Never again for the purposes of PAX at least. Perhaps whoever owns it will decide to create a parody account, but I'm sure it's safe to unfollow.

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    Vapok
  • Options
    Dreamwish is one of my very favorite people.

• Options
    VapokVapok Just a Guy. BostonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Dreamwish is one of my very favorite people.

HEY!

Geth -- Eat @zerzhul‌...

Vapok on
    enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    Vapok
  • Options
    Just posting again in case anyone was interested.

I live just around the corner in Melrose and will be leaving in the morning Friday to get to PAX around 8am with my computer. If anyone in my area wants a ride my GF is taking me and my rig in, and it would be easier to help/watch each others computers during load in etc etc. Anyway hit me up here or message me through the forums!

• Options
    One of!

• Options
    thorkonthorkon Registered User regular
    Just noticed the byoc twitter pic is Link! Awesome!

Only a bit left, then its go time! It's gonna be like tetris fitting this new case into the vehicle...

• Options
    hendusoonehendusoone Registered User regular
    Sadly, I'll only be there two days this year (got something else going on Sunday, boooo). That also means I'll be gaming on a laptop instead of my desktop... Still, I'm looking forward to it!

Now to figure out which games to install...

8hiRK4y.png
  • Options
    itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    So everyone is going to have Titanfall, yes? Hopefully?

signature.png
  • Options
    Oh I know I will and I am looking forward to the panel.

I figure with TitanFall, LoL and a lot Valve games + MNC I should be fine.

• Options
    DreamwishDreamwish Registered User regular
    Hey guys and gals,

The load in procedures have been finalized, and they will be the same as last year. For those of you that are new to BYOC, or may not remember them, here they are below.
    --- Unloading on Friday of PAX ---
    If you're travelling by car, pull in to the Westin/BCEC area at the base of the giant media wall. Follow this road (West Side Drive) all the way past the building, and down and back up the ramp. Keep following the road until you get to Level 1 Southwest. This will be the first glass vestibule you come to on your right hand side.

We will have signs posted where the load-in area will be and there will be a security station there that can hold your equipment for you while you park your car.

For those of you staying at the Westin, you've got a bit of a walk...sorry about that! Go straight from the skybridge connecting the Westin and the BCEC and down the escalator. Keep going the same direction through North Lobby and around the Northwest corner of the building. Keep following the hallway until you get to "Southwest Lobby B2". This will be the second lobby you come to, just past the food court. From there you can make use of either the escalator or elevator down to the PC Room level (Level 0).

Hope this helps. Looking forward to PAAAAAAAAAAAX!

• Options
    thorkonthorkon Registered User regular
    So last years map for dropoff should be the same then. I should have it memorized by now but I tend to mess it up every year.

• Options
    Heres a quick update for anyone who might have a similar idea to mine: I got the okay.

8elUgf9.png

• Options
    Awesome Trandescent, good to hear.

Anyway anyone have any tips or tricks for BYOC that they learned in the past that they would like to share with us first time BYOC people?