As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Secret World - Legends out 6/26/17

• Options
    ReddayeReddaye Registered User regular
    Picked this up during the Steam Halloween sale last week, after debating it for quite some time. After about 11 hours (according to Steam) I'm very much enjoying this game. The setting in particular really tickles my fancy as a big time fan of horror, and it's just a nice change overall from the typical fantasy or science fiction settings that are all over the MMO market. Character development took a bit of time to wrap my head around, but I did a lot of research online and settled into a blade and assault rifle build that's been working well for me so far. Not having bog standard classes, but more of an open character development system really fits this universe so well.

Having a blast just casually playing through the (intriguing) storyline. Kingsmouth so far really draws strong comparisons to Lovecraft and Stephen King. They really have done a good job of paying homage to their influences.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Highly recommend doing every mission from characters in each zone. It really sheds a lot of light on the setting that you'd miss if you just try to rush through the main storyline. Also, you never know when a mission turns out to have a twist in it you weren't expecting.

• Options
    ReddayeReddaye Registered User regular
    Thanks for the advice. I've been taking my time so far. This is probably the first MMO I've enjoyed questing in. Some of these quests actually require some real thought and/or knowledge. Great stuff.

A shame this game hasn't gotten more praise. It's a real gem.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Reddaye wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice. I've been taking my time so far. This is probably the first MMO I've enjoyed questing in. Some of these quests actually require some real thought and/or knowledge. Great stuff.

A shame this game hasn't gotten more praise. It's a real gem.

It does a lot of things right, though it can be ridiculously obtuse as well (good luck with making a strong build without help, for instance). Investigation missions are the best (even if I only ever solved one legit)

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    The story, lore, and setting in this game are some of the best I've seen. When I hit the end of the current storyline I went into withdrawals bad, wanting it to continue.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    That said, I completely whiffed on the Halloween stuff for TSW. What happened? Did they put out a new round of lores for it?

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    That said, I completely whiffed on the Halloween stuff for TSW. What happened? Did they put out a new round of lores for it?

They did. I didn't really bother with it though so I only have one lore. /shrug

• Options
    The lore dropped from the summonable bosses, but it wasn't guaranteed the lore would drop. People were calling out the lore drops as they happened after a few days but it was still a matter of luck if you were on at the time that the boss that dropped the lore you needed was available.

• Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    TSW is likely to get a player infusion considering that it is currently featured in this month's Humble Bundle:

https://www.humblebundle.com/nicks-staff-picks-bundle

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MrVyngaard wrote: »
    TSW is likely to get a player infusion considering that it is currently featured in this month's Humble Bundle:

https://www.humblebundle.com/nicks-staff-picks-bundle

There's also a 30% off sale on stuff in the Item Store.

• Options
    JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    I'm going to play this in a small group, due to the Humble Bundle. I don't want to go researching too deep but I just want to know regarding character builds, is it possible to brick your character permanently via whatever mechanics you do to build it? Or very expensive to fix? I'm looking forward to all the story/worldbuilding, it's been praised anywhere I see this game mentioned.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Jutranjo wrote: »
    I'm going to play this in a small group, due to the Humble Bundle. I don't want to go researching too deep but I just want to know regarding character builds, is it possible to brick your character permanently via whatever mechanics you do to build it? Or very expensive to fix? I'm looking forward to all the story/worldbuilding, it's been praised anywhere I see this game mentioned.

I think the answer is no but I am only not 100% sure because I am not sure what brick the character means in the context. Really the only time I ever had real problems with the build is when I hit the third major area which had enemies that punished using certain kinds of status effects like stuns.

It is really easy to farm up a new build though so it is not really much of a worry.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Stragint wrote: »

I think the answer is no but I am only not 100% sure because I am not sure what brick the character means in the context. Really the only time I ever had real problems with the build is when I hit the third major area which had enemies that punished using certain kinds of status effects like stuns.

It is really easy to farm up a new build though so it is not really much of a worry.

Thanks! I mean bricking like in Diablo 2 or Path of Exile, where you can just make a garbage character by allocating stats wrong. GW2 doesn't even have talents to pick in the end, you can just swap em around, WoW has respecs to fix whatever, etc.

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    You can eventually get every single skill and ability (there's even achievements and fancy outfits for doing so), so if you make a bad choice, all it takes is the time to farm up the experience to train a something else in order to fix it. So 'bricking' is impossible, at worst you can speed bump.

And farming exp is made easier by the fact that most of the quests are repeatable.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Decomposey wrote: »
    You can eventually get every single skill and ability (there's even achievements and fancy outfits for doing so), so if you make a bad choice, all it takes is the time to farm up the experience to train a something else in order to fix it. So 'bricking' is impossible, at worst you can speed bump.

And farming exp is made easier by the fact that most of the quests are repeatable.

Note that investigations give a lot less the second time around. But... hardly matters because they're still a lot and quick to do.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options

Others have already addressed your bricking concern, so I'm just gonna say- welcome to TSW! Hope you and your friends enjoy.

(One thing I will mention- there are many quests that have to be done solo. This is more apparent in the base game, but is done less and less as you progress through the issues. Just so you're aware, since you did mention you're going to be playing with friends.)

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Decomposey wrote: »

And note that the cost for each point is constant, there's no curve, instead it's just cheaper to pick up the earlier skills. So changing to a new thing is actually pretty cheap, relatively

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    I think the early game fools you into skill- and action points being somewhat hard to come by, since the xp rewards are so modest in the first zone. Later on it becomes standard to pop at least 3-5 levels per quest and thus rake in 10+ AP.

And don't be afraid to spend your points. Bumping into the pool limit is no fun.

Edit: Also
    You get less xp for quests above "normal" difficulty!
    So just casually cruise around doing "normal" or even "easy/very easy" stuff, enjoy the characters and the story. There's no penalty for doing "low-lvl" crap, and main missions often has a lot of exposition on setting features or personas so it's worth trying them out.
    http://www.tswdb.com/miscellaneous/the-secret-world-beginner-guide

Panda4You on
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Thank you. I just started playing on Saturday, and that link is super helpful.

• Options
    Ketar wrote: »
    Teleporting by clicking graveyards on the map is yet another thing I don't think the game mentions anywhere.
    And not even the goddamn loading screen help tip for getting groups for dungeons ("ask around in chat, lol!") mentions the shift+V dungeon finder.

• Options
    Panda4You wrote: »
    Ketar wrote: »
    Teleporting by clicking graveyards on the map is yet another thing I don't think the game mentions anywhere.
    And not even the goddamn loading screen help tip for getting groups for dungeons ("ask around in chat, lol!") mentions the shift+V dungeon finder.

Probably because both things were added to the game after those helpful tips were written. I don't think they've actually updated any of them... At least, I can't think of any at the moment.

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Oh! And shit, you always need to loot every boss drop yourself (pressing V)! Otherwise you won't get the money, nor the all-important black bullions on nightmare difficulty.

Panda4You on
  • Options
    I found a clown nose! It says it's worth a lot? Can I sell it without the AH cut? There's 2 on the AH for a really high price, I only have 250k pax romana so far.

• Options
    I found a clown nose! It says it's worth a lot? Can I sell it without the AH cut? There's 2 on the AH for a really high price, I only have 250k pax romana so far.

Might as well sell it, as far as museum items go it's not useful until you've killed 10,000 Scarecrows, collected all the Scarecrow lore, and spent 325 AP and a few hundred thousand PAX to upgrade the Scarecrow display in the museum all three tiers.

• Options
    Yeah, that museum thing really feels like some sort of point dump grind that was put into place before auxiliaries or augments existed?

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Yeah, that museum thing really feels like some sort of point dump grind that was put into place before auxiliaries or augments existed?

It was put in way after. It is a fun thing to do and once you get far enough you end up capping AP pretty quick. I've been capped for months.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options

It was only added this summer. While the mnemonic guardians do confer some minor bonuses, the amount of time and effort you have to put into unlocking them doesn't make it a good goal for starting players.

I would say what you should do with AP is: unlock all normal abilities, unlock whatever auxiliary weapon abilities you want, attune some of the green augments at least since they drop like hotcakes, then work on museum stuff maybe. The requirements for unlocking most of the museum stuff means that if you aren't far in the game you probably won't have many of the display requirements met anyways. Going to it later on means you'll probably have the kills achieved, and maybe had the lore found as well.

• Options
    This a really weird graph
    http://tswmarketwatch.mygamesonline.org/cln.html

Is that just 2 people having a laugh and making people waste 100k+ deposits on failed auctions?

• Options
    It's not going to sell for a million.

• Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Sometimes people get very overambitious. They might have seen no clown noses up for sale, seen that some museum items are over 1m, and got excited.

I think I paid about 50k for mine, and I wouldn't expect more than that.

• Options
    Nothing much in today's stream.

Just that two new mounts are coming for Krampusnacht (I'm assuming via bags)- a moose and (rare) reindeer. No images yet.

Also, per Tilty and Odonoptera, holiday event should hopefully start next week. No definite date given, subject to "things."

• Options
    They showed images of those mounts on the previous stream.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Ah. I wasn't around for that one. Are they online somewhere?

• Options

Ah. I wasn't around for that one. Are they online somewhere?

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Reloading this one, think I'll give it a go after leaving 3 years ago when I grew impatient with the lack of new solo content. What are good sites for build advice ? I remember trying to play Assault Rifle at launch, which was meant to be a mobile build but the quest mobs were so densely populated in those days that any movement resulted in pulling half the map after you.

• Options
    Pair the Assault Rifle up with a melee weapon, then.

• Options
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Reloading this one, think I'll give it a go after leaving 3 years ago when I grew impatient with the lack of new solo content. What are good sites for build advice ? I remember trying to play Assault Rifle at launch, which was meant to be a mobile build but the quest mobs were so densely populated in those days that any movement resulted in pulling half the map after you.

I went far with an AR/blade build using affliction as the bridge. All AOE, too.

• Options
    Krampusnacht 2016 is up:
    Krampusnacht Returns!
    ‘Tis the season, agents! Through January 3rd, Krampusnacht comes to The Secret World with new festive flair!

Agartha is dressed up as a winter wonderland, and you’ll be able to jump into a new Snowball Fight minigame with your friends! New achievements and a new emote await for those who want to get in on the fun!

Additionally, a new set of holiday-themed bags make their debut! A Moose mount and Mountie gear; a Penguin onesie and Elf ears, these are just some of our favorite things!

To round it all out, Niflheim, the Christmas Conspiracy, and End of Days return!

The Curios and Oddities wing in the Museum of the Occult is now available! Please pardon our dust; this section is still under construction, and will feature a full exhibition of seasonal content in the future!

Happy Holidays!

-The Secret World team

Bag contents:

Heroic
    • Flightless Reindeer mount

Epic
    • Penguin onesie
    • Barrel Hound pet
    • Domesticated Moose mount

Rare
    • Frosty Trail sprint
    • Arctic Hare pet
    • Mountie - Campaign hat
    • Mountie - Red Serge jacket
    • Plastic Elf ears
    • Mistletoe circlet
    • Fur-lined anorak, grey
    • Circular fur cap, grey
    • Kamik, grey
    • Double lined fur trousers, grey

Uncommon
    • Mountie - Strathcona boots
    • Mountie - Breeches
    • Hooded down parka (5)
    • Elfin tunic(3)
    • Elfin cap (3)
    • Elfin leggings (3)

Common
    • Crochet mohawk beanie (6)
    • Winter boots (5)
    • Snow Blower
    • Pile of Snowballs

Reward for opening big bag in a crowd: /dance_hiphop

So, the snowball fight. It's in Agartha. There's a pile of snowballs there (highlighted with a light from above). Use it to participate in a fight. (If there is one already going on, you have to wait for that to finish. Think it takes a few minutes per round.)

This year's cheevos are linked to the snowball fights. There's one for participating, one for hitting a member of each faction, and one for scoring 75 points in a fight. Not sure how the scoring works, though I do know you get one point for hitting someone. (Not sure if you can hit the same person repeatedly...)

• Options
    You get more points for hitting with a bigger snowball.

People are already volunteering to stand around to get hit so people can get their 75 hits achievement. It's a nice little diversion, I wonder if you can play it outside of Agartha?

• Options
    You get more points for hitting with a bigger snowball.

People are already volunteering to stand around to get hit so people can get their 75 hits achievement. It's a nice little diversion, I wonder if you can play it outside of Agartha?

The pile that activates the fight is only in Agartha, so I doubt it.

However, I'm assuming the emote you get makes you throw a snowball, so you could have pretend ones anywhere else.