As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Secret World - Legends out 6/26/17

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Sounds like you folks haven't developed Stockholm Syndrome yet.

• Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    That reworked it awhile ago and Transylvania is way easier than it used to be.

I didn't find it tedious, but it could just be personal differences.

• Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    I do wish that some combat animations were different, or heck even some weapon skills reworked. I mean, when I hear "fist" I think martial arts, and that's totally not what we get with that weapon.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I think the thing with transylvania is that it is the first real time where there are adverse affects for using certain types of cc. It is a cool area but it can sometimes require a complete build change

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Stragint wrote: »
    I think the thing with transylvania is that it is the first real time where there are adverse affects for using certain types of cc. It is a cool area but it can sometimes require a complete build change

Agreed. I was using an affliction build since Blue Mountain, and the fungal filth in Shadowy Forest prompted a build change. So I came up with a pistol/hammer crit-based build that wasn't using any of the states. It worked but it was a really wonky build.

• Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    I was blade/ar or chaos/blood. When I went through I didn't encounter anything that made me change builds.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I had to get some extra health for Tokyo, and there were a few times I switched between a single-target DPS and group DPS builds, depending on whether I was fighting something big or a lot of little guys. I'm building up the single target DPS set right now with upgrades, but I can feel myself standing on the edge of a yawning chasm when I think of the fact that you can conceivably get every ability, every build, every weapon type, and every gear-type on one character, and I could get them all to 10.9 quality and be the best at all things... if I'm willing to devote the time. All time. It would only take... forever.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I burnt out before finishing my 2nd 10.9. And that was with having a fair stack of crits and a handful of astrals

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    I mean, everything important in my gear set is 10.9 and purple. I've played for 130 days, 12 minutes, and 20 seconds.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    There's no reason to get everything to 10.9 unless you're looking to run the most end of end-game content. Or you want to make all the bars up to the max.

• Options
    DPS is ~20% from 10.5 to 10.9. 10.9 is irrelevant to near everything else. I'm just levelling up my Healtank gear since it's a hybrid set and will benefit more than heals or the HP pieces in my tank sets.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I mean, the MoP grind is a marathon, and scenarios are asinine, but it was the aegis grind that burned me out.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CorsiniCorsini Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Hmmm. I see if I spend Funcom points it would be $12.66 CAD for issue 12 or 13 using Funcom points. Or through Steam I could get the CE for $13.99 CAD. What a savings!

Or I could hold off for the inevitable bundle of 12/13/14/etc.

Corsini on
    steam_sig.png
    Steam Badger A greasemonkey script for better gifting and peering
  • Options
    It's going to be some time before any issue bundles become available.

I assume you're talking about buying the CE upgrade? Because the normal issues are only $10US and the CEs are normally $25US.

• Options
    CorsiniCorsini Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's just that steam only sells the CE edition of these issues and they are on fabulous sale. If they had the regular edition at a similar discount I would snatch that up in a hot minute. Now things are fraught. I don't really need a t-shirt, but it's so inexpensive!

steam_sig.png
    Steam Badger A greasemonkey script for better gifting and peering
  • Options
    Oh hey, apparently Issue 15 is coming out in a few weeks!

Buuuuut Issue 15 is a re-packaging of the 3 Sidestories packs as a single Issue. Sidestories are officially acknowledged as a failed experiment and they're going to fold the stuff into the Issues.

The good news is that if you own any one of the 3 Sidestories you will gain access to Issue 15 for free, and Issue 15 will also include a brand-new investigation mission.

They're calling Issue 15 "The Sluth's Gallery" as eight of the sixteen missions are Investigation missions. And yes, there will be a collector's edition, which is hinted to include a Sherlock Holmes outfit and some sort of pipe smoking emote.

• Options
    It's a good idea to fold it into a single issue as a good value for players and also to consolidate the content and make it more enticing a purchase for players (the very name "Sidestories" make them sound less enticing).

Kind of hope we're still getting two more new issues this year, and this is kind of like a "bonus".

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Ricky Pagan's glory could not be contained in just a "side story", he needs to be read by the world.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    Having played the game for a while. I am glad it is free to play. Setting is interesting, story is interesting (though I fear I will never be free of Kingsmouth. So many sidequests). Combat is dull as fuck, but what do I expect from an MMO?

But this thing will apparently take the next 5 years for me to finish. So glad I do not have to power-rush it.

Also the in game browser idea? Golden. The Kingsmouth Code is brilliant but fuck me there is no way I could have done that without outside help.

• Options
    Rchanen wrote: »
    Also the in game browser idea? Golden. The Kingsmouth Code is brilliant but fuck me there is no way I could have done that without outside help.

Most investigation missions are designed with the implicit idea that you will need to look things up online, be it translators or researching mythological references or whatever.

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Rchanen wrote: »

Most investigation missions are designed with the implicit idea that you will need to look things up online, be it translators or researching mythological references or whatever.

Or how I learned how to decipher morse code so I could do a quest the week the game came out. One of my best MMO memories.

I really enjoyed it before there were any solutions to quests online. I spent a LOT of time not progressing, but man was it satisfying.
    ...not that anyone FORCES me to look up solutions now, but the allure is too strong for me to resist when I'm just wanting to gain some AP =p.

vamen on
  • Options
    I will admit to looking up a lot of quest solutions. Hell and Bach was one.

Though it amuses me that if I come back to the missions later, I often can't quite remember the solutions. /shrug

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I had some real trouble with the morse code portion of that quest.

I understood what I was supposed to do, but I have a really hard time distinguishing a dot from a dash and understanding where one "letter" of the morse alphabet ends and the next begins.

Also I just looked up the translated notes for that investigation quest in Egypt that has you using a Caesar cypher. Transcribing that shit for every note is just tedious.

RT800 on
  • Options
    There are websites that you can type text in and get translated from ROT13. But yes, sometimes translating things is a lot of work.

• Options
    You don't read rot13?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    I had some real trouble with the morse code portion of that quest.

I understood what I was supposed to do, but I have a really hard time distinguishing a dot from a dash and understanding where one "letter" of the morse alphabet ends and the next begins.

Also I just looked up the translated notes for that investigation quest in Egypt that has you using a Caesar cypher. Transcribing that shit for every note is just tedious.

I did as well, and it made me all the more impressed with people who can decipher it in real time.

• Options
    So, "Issue 15" (note the quotation marks) is live.

It's essentially a repackaging of the prior three Sidestories packs, plus a new investigation mission in Kaidan.

The CE comes with (what amounts to) Sherlock Holmes-esque attire- the hat, the cape, and an emote to smoke a pipe ("complete with pipe!").

• Options
    Yeah, nice surprise that it's already out. Time to play the new mission, I guess!

• Options
    1440 FC points (after GM discount) seems pretty steep for two clothing items, an emote, and one investigation mission.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    1440 FC points (after GM discount) seems pretty steep for two clothing items, an emote, and one investigation mission.

That price includes also the three sidestory mission though. If you had bought even one side-story earlier, you get everything for free so price isn't a factor.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Golden Yak wrote: »

That price includes also the three sidestory mission though. If you had bought even one side-story earlier, you get everything for free so price isn't a factor.

Yes, it is, if you're looking at the CE, which is where the clothing items and emote are included. :) If all you want is the content, then yes, it's free. But the 1440 after discount is still steep for what amounts to the above and one mission.

• Options
    You get the one mission in regular Issue 15, which is free if you had any of the Sidestories previously.

The two clothing items are kind of cruddy, the texture looks like cheap felt and the color doesn't go well with anything I've got. But the pipe emote... I love it!

• Options
    You get the one mission in regular Issue 15, which is free if you had any of the Sidestories previously.

The two clothing items are kind of cruddy, the texture looks like cheap felt and the color doesn't go well with anything I've got. But the pipe emote... I love it!

I haven't seen any pics/images of it yet. Do we see actual smoke?

• Options

I haven't seen any pics/images of it yet. Do we see actual smoke?

Yeah, a bit of smoke comes out of the pipe. It's an emote item like Nassir's Gun.

• Options

Yes, it is, if you're looking at the CE, which is where the clothing items and emote are included. :) If all you want is the content, then yes, it's free. But the 1440 after discount is still steep for what amounts to the above and one mission.

I've always thought the extra cost of the CE issue rewards was steep for what they were. I don't care much about pets or outfits myself though.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    My no-spoiler review of the new mission in Issue 15:
    Mostly text adventures. I found them kind of frustrating to be honest, because it's difficult to figure out where you're going wrong sometimes. They got better after a while, at least.
    Unlike Immersion, you have to actually play through the game to be able to pick up the disk that has the next game on it.
    It's definitely a mission that takes place after Issue 11.
    Makes me excited for/dreading what's to come.

• Options
    Our good buddy John mentioned a few hints about what goes on in the latest issue a little while back.

"Ask them about the Hive, Chuck"

Secret World definitely has one of the best narratives I've seen in MMOs (and games period, really). I thundered through it really fast and devoured all the lore and story, and now that I've hit the end of current content and am forced to wait for more stuff, I'm feel like I'm going into withdrawal.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Our good buddy John mentioned a few hints about what goes on in the latest issue a little while back.

Secret World definitely has one of the best narratives I've seen in MMOs (and games period, really). I thundered through it really fast and devoured all the lore and story, and now that I've hit the end of current content and am forced to wait for more stuff, I'm feel like I'm going into withdrawal.

You've done everything? There's missions out in the world that you can miss if you just went through the main story line. Even some quests that don't show up tracked in the achievements.

I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I get on to run the daily challenges but it's working towards making the bars go up on my stat bars that don't really need to go up higher for most purposes. Like, getting enough AEGIS kits to get everything to 2.9 and getting all the augments.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Hell yeah, we hit the NYNM enrage timer tonight!

steam_sig.png
  • Options

You've done everything? There's missions out in the world that you can miss if you just went through the main story line. Even some quests that don't show up tracked in the achievements.

Eeeverything. I made a point of doing all the side missions in a region before I completed the world story. There might be one or two that I've missed somewhere, but mainly the only ones left are nightmare lair missions, I haven't made much effort to find a group for those.

H9f4bVe.png