As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ROCK BAND - mods close this please

• Options
    StormyWatersStormyWaters Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    This looks like the greatest party game ever. Not only that but the online play should help out when no one else is around. How exactly will the microphone singing work? Will you end up hearing your friends' terrible vocals while at the same time hearing Robert Plant's voice coming out of the speakers?

I'm really hoping no covers = we can get zeppelin/metallica!

StormyWaters on
  • Options
    KarfKarf The Past Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I can Syndie as vocalist for all my online games.

NO BACK OFF I CALLED HIM

Karf on
    sig9.gif
  • Options
    BallmanBallman Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Oh, hey, you're right; this means I'll finally be able to play songs with you guys online. I can't wait for the [GAME ON] for this one.

Ballman on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'll believe a Des-Row song winding up in GH/RB before Metallica gets in any music game.
    Des-Row = awesome hardcore rock/metal artist who works for Konami
    They're the most notoriously impossible artist to license music from in existence.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I think I've got my band figured out. Since I've got two friends who can really sing well, but one also plays drums, and a third guy who's probably the best at guitar hero, leaving the pretty simple baseline for me...

But it's a fourth friend who has the 360, and sucks at guitar hero, can't sing, and has no rhythm.

:(

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Sounds like Kotaku is reporting a Wii version is still likely.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited April 2007
    Karf wrote: »

NO BACK OFF I CALLED HIM
    Heh... I may end up pulling a megadeth and play guitar and sing when this comes out.

The ability to play two parts at once is awesome.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm just kinda surprised that the Mic is obviously means that people have to actually sing. I imagine the drumming is going to be pretty close to actually drumming for the most part, and then the guitars are just going to be the fisherprice things again?

Rook on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    syndalis wrote: »
    Karf wrote: »

NO BACK OFF I CALLED HIM
    Heh... I may end up pulling a megadeth and play guitar and sing when this comes out.

The ability to play two parts at once is awesome.
    Oh man. I totally didn't think of that.

Oh man. Awesomesauce!

Karf on
    sig9.gif
  • Options
    hmxmosshmxmoss Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Fireflash wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    From what I've heard, Keyboardmania's the toughest to master of any music game ever. Probably because it has so many buttons. I'd like to think piano experience helps, though.
    The april 1st date on the article makes me skeptical of this but at the same time, this looks serious hmm...
    I'll wait till I see this posted on multiple gaming sites before beleiving it.

Er, when someone who works for the company confirms it, I'm pretty sure you can trust it's real.

Unless he's in on the joke ;)

Buwhahahahahahaha....

You're right... it's all a joke and the real secret game we've been working on is Broom Balancer.

No, seriously... Rock Band is real.

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Elton John's Crocodile Rock would be a fun piece to play on a Keyboard Hero.

And anything by Emerson, Lake and Palmer.

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Lunker wrote: »
    Elton John's Crocodile Rock would be a fun piece to play on a Keyboard Hero.
    LFG MAPLE LEAF RAG NO NOOBS

Heh heh... Now that is one song I _can_ play. (Well, most of it...) Love ragtime...

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Well, this sure is pretty crazy. I wonder who in my group of friends will be assigned as the singer.. It'll most likely end up being me.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I'm looking forward to a lot of arguments when 4 people show up, but one guy demands on playing lead + singing, leaving the 4th guy with nothing to do.

StormyWaters on
  • Options
    FatBabyFatBaby Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Man... this news just gave me a boner so hard that it gave me an uppercut right in the face.

FatBaby on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It's only a matter of time, people.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Lunker wrote: »
    It's only a matter of time, people.

Oh, I hope that's one of the parts of the drum kit. "I've got a fever, and the only cure... is more Rock Band!" Plus they've had one of the band's songs in GH... :)

Jacoby on
    GameCenter: ROldford
    Switch: nin.codes/roldford
  • Options
    XusderXusder Some dude... Middle of NowhereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    OH MY GOD!

YES!

It's like Guitar Freaks/Drummania only with awesomeness added!

Gonna practicie today with some Drummania 10th mix!

Time for some The Least 100 Seconds/Timepiece Phase II/Children's Sketchbook FTW!

Er... actually I guess those are too hard.

Xusder on
    YES, I DO LIKE COURIER NEW!
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    So the Wii, the system that lends itself perfectly to this, is not getting it?
    Not only are the controllers perfect, but it would be cheaper to make the special controllers, as they'd only have to be shells connected in some way to the Wiimote.
    I don't see how drums will work on any system without actually giving the player an electric kit, but Wii could handle whatever solution they find as well as the other systems.
    Seriously, I call shenanigans on no Wii version.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I'd love to try playing guitar and singing at the same time, but I have a feeling it will be really hard for me. I sometimes try to sing along with GH, but my brain just can't process the two things at once. But then again, I also remember the first time I tried Symphony of Destruction on expert (after only having played on medium); I thought I'd never be able to be that good. I suppose if I started singing + playing on easy it would only take time to get better.

Ballman on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I don't buy that you could play Guitar hero on Wii with the Wiimote. Drums? Maybe. I don't think it would be precise enough. The entire point of guitar hero is "Hey, I have a big goofy plastic guitar and I'm playing it." If they just sold the same accessories as the PS2/360/PS3 it would be fine.

Karf on
    sig9.gif
  • Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Air drumming would be un-fun.

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I'd like to request more talking about how awesome this announcement is and less bitching that it's not on the Wii :/

StormyWaters on
  • Options
    DeVryGuyDeVryGuy Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    So the Wii, the system that lends itself perfectly to this, is not getting it?
    Not only are the controllers perfect, but it would be cheaper to make the special controllers, as they'd only have to be shells connected in some way to the Wiimote.
    I don't see how drums will work on any system without actually giving the player an electric kit, but Wii could handle whatever solution they find as well as the other systems.
    Seriously, I call shenanigans on no Wii version.

I fail to see how the Wii lends itself any better than any other console. You'd still need a special controller, and Nintendo's online strategy seems to fly in the face of this idea completely.

DeVryGuy on
    Pokemon Diamond: 5369 6910 9799
    FFTSig.jpg
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The "Why not on the Wii, it'd be perfect" comments highlight one of the things I was worried about from day one with the Wii. Because it is (in theory) built around every game having these unique controls the utilize the Wiimote in new and exciting ways, it makes it very difficult for the Wii to ever be a part of a big multi-platform title without one of two things happening.

Either the devs need to create a unique version for the Wii, as it is weaker in power and requires a unique control scheme, and hope the additional investment is worth it, or they change nothing on the Wii, and hope most Wii owners still want to pick up the game, despite it not being "built" for their system.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    well IGN just posted this up:
    http://wii.ign.com/articles/777/777553p1.html

"Rock Band on Wii?
    Harmonix CEO says "Absolutely."'

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    TelMarine wrote: »
    well IGN just posted this up:
    http://wii.ign.com/articles/777/777553p1.html

"Rock Band on Wii?
    Harmonix CEO says "Absolutely."'

Hooray

This was what was going to make me buy a 360

Well actually I'll still get a 360 eventually but at least Rock Band is coming out on something I already have

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Wii-guitar-shell's only advantage would be that the tilt sensor ball of the original is replaced with the accelerometers in the wii remote. But I'm glad they're making a Wii version anyway.

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    GSM wrote: »
    Wii-guitar-shell's only advantage would be that the tilt sensor ball of the original is replaced with the accelerometers in the wii remote. But I'm glad they're making a Wii version anyway.
    that's based on features of previous guitar hero games, there is other new stuff that they could do that would take advantage of the Wiimote.

LewieP on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    Alright, question for moss:

Doesn't Activision/Neversoft own GH now? Could you legally use the GH controller in Rock Band?

Even if you can, I kinda hope you don't. I loved GH, but I desperately want something more fleshed out, I suppose. Like, one problem I always had was being able to play certain songs in real life (Crossroads and Cowboys From Hell come to mind, parts of the latter at least) and not being able to play them in GH. I dunno, cater to the musicians I guess. And I don't know what you keyboard guys are complaining about, the best GH players I've ever known have been piano performance majors, never any guitarists.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Doesn't Activision/Neversoft own GH now? Could you legally use the GH controller in Rock Band?

Even if you can, I kinda hope you don't. I loved GH, but I desperately want something more fleshed out, I suppose. Like, one problem I always had was being able to play certain songs in real life (Crossroads and Cowboys From Hell come to mind, parts of the latter at least) and not being able to play them in GH. I dunno, cater to the musicians I guess. And I don't know what you keyboard guys are complaining about, the best GH players I've ever known have been piano performance majors, never any guitarists.

Yeah. That's my beef with GH. It's nothing like playing a guitar.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Arcibi wrote: »
    Hooray

This was what was going to make me buy a 360

Well actually I'll still get a 360 eventually but at least Rock Band is coming out on something I already have

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Personal solution for me would be to throw in multiple strum bars for multiple strings. That would make playing rhythm in the multiplayer so much more fun too.

Edit: Dude... power chords. FT fucking W.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Multiple strum bars to mimic multiple strings? Might as well pick up a real guitar and play alongside your mp3s.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Isn't the appeal of Guitar Hero to make you feel like you CAN be a rock god without actually being one?

DeVryGuy on
    FFTSig.jpg
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    DeVryGuy wrote: »

Isn't the appeal of Guitar Hero to make you feel like you CAN be a rock god without actually being one?

I suppose that works for people with no clue how a guitar functions.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Multiple strum bars to mimic multiple strings? Might as well pick up a real guitar and play alongside your mp3s.

I do, but I'd much rather have a "band." Besides, there's always the difficulty levels and such that can take it from arcade level to simulation level. A fucking band sim, that just makes me excited.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    To be fair, video games in general let you do things that feel and behave nothing like they would in real life. For instance, if I were to say, pull out a paint brush and draw a line on you, it wouldn't cut you, but you would probably be kinda pissed.

I mean, if people want to really play guitar, they could probably almost buy one with the amount of money that GH+a guitar controller costs.

Ballman on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Ballman wrote: »
    To be fair, video games in general let you do things that feel and behave nothing like they would in real life. For instance, if I were to say, pull out a paint brush and draw a line on you, it wouldn't cut you, but you would probably be kinda pissed.

I mean, if people want to really play guitar, they could probably almost buy one with the amount of money that GH+a guitar controller costs.

Again, that's what difficulty levels are for. There's no knob on my V that makes me sound like I'm playing Hendrix by only hitting 1/4th of the notes.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    DeVryGuy wrote: »

I suppose that works for people with no clue how a guitar functions.

Or for people who are looking for, I dunno, a game to play. The core concept is correct: Fret and Strum. It's simplified to a level that people who pick up the controller for the first time can play Smoke on the Water failing only a couple times in the process.

This is what games are. Concepts simplified to be accessible to everyone, not just those with special training. I mean, if you can play War Pigs on the real guitar, why not just get out the real guitar and play it? If you take away the simplicity of the controller, you isolate the largest part of your audience, the life-time air guitar players who wish they had the time, skill and talent to learn to really play the guitar. I'd even go as far to say that if they had gone the "multi-string fret button route" someone suggested, we would not have gotten a guitar hero 2.

DeVryGuy on
    FFTSig.jpg