As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

ROCK BAND - mods close this please

• existexist Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Vagiant did FTK, right?

This is a song about messing with people who are messing with you! :flex:

honestly I can't fucking stand that song

exist on
    UmPiq.png
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The Vagiant song is annoying.

But nothing rapes my eardrums worse than the songs by Made in Mexico.

slash000 on
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    I wouldn't mind the fact that the 360 version comes with a wired guitar, it's the fact that it's the same price as the PS3 one that comes with a wireless one. Also, that it doesn't seem like they'll have a bundle with a wireless guitar, so I'm either forced to get raped on the price of buying everything seperate for two wireless guitars or I have to stick with one wireless and one wired.

Pleaaaaaaaase make a wireless bundle I can buy at a store... :|

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
    edited September 2007
    I don't see why they couldn't just make a USB-based wireless guitar.

I mean, if MS wasn't going to let them use their proprietary whatever wireless, why not do what many companies have been doing for PS2 wireless controllers?

Make a little USB stick that plugs into the USB port that connects wirelessly to the guitar, using standard RF controller tech that's already available to them (In the PS2 case, you have little recievers plugging into the controller ports)

On second thought, I guess they're probably going on the idea that if they're going to make a wireless guitar, they might as well make a good one that doesn't require a usb receiver

slash000 on
  • YardGnomeYardGnome Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    slash000 wrote: »

YES WE

YES WE CAN

YardGnome on
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Dirty wrote: »
    Every time someone complains about the lack of wireless guitars on the 360, someone always chimes in with, "Well, real guitars have wires." Yeah, and real guitars are heavier, and a lot more difficult to learn.

So?

A heavier, more solid, realistic controller would be a plus. That's exactly what they look like they are aiming towards with the new Strats.

All I was sayin' was that a lot of times realism is sacrificed for the sake of making these games more enjoyable. Wired guitars may be more realistic, but they don't enrich the experience in a meaningful way.

Dirty wrote: »
    Wired controllers put me waaayy to close to my TV. Having to deal with extension cords and shit is annoying.

Every time I've played, watched, or seen a video of anyone play Guitar Hero I, II, III or Rock Band, they have deliberately been as close to the screen as possible, so they can actually read the "notes" and keep up. The cables on my GHII Xplorers are just over 9 foot long. 9 feet is "waaayy to close" now?! If you are needing to play more than 9 feet away, you must either;

a) have a sixty inch TV,

b) be playing it on easy/missing half the notes/know the songs from memory,

c) be playing sitting down, in which case, you're doing it wrong.

And in fact, a) doesn't make sense, because I played this round a mate's when he set up his massive fuck-off projector, and everyone was playing just a few feet from it, comfortably, with cable to spare.

Just because its possible to play close to the TV, doesn't mean I want to. Yes, I do have a 60" TV, but even when I was playing GH1 on my old 27", I still preferred standing far back from the TV. And yes, I could nail songs on hard and expert on my 27" from over 9'. I would think that people standing "as close to the screen as possible," just so they can see the notes probably need to get their eyes checked.

Dirty on
  • the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Yes We Can = Horrid beyond belief.

Farewell Myth = Actually kinda good/fun.

I gotta replay gh2 to check out that Vagiant song everyone talks about...don't remember it.

Me want The Slip!

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Yes We Can = Horrid beyond belief.

Farewell Myth = Actually kinda good/fun.

I gotta replay gh2 to check out that Vagiant song everyone talks about...don't remember it.

Me want The Slip!
    In retrospect, yes Farewell Myth is the better song. It's still the worst one on GH1. I'm still expecting they'll top themselves in horribleness.

I, too, would like to see The Slip re-appear. I was hoping Children of December would appear in GH2, but they are a 'real' band... I suspect Even Rats was a 'loser' in the first Be A Guitar Hero contest.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    YardGnome wrote: »

YES WE

YES WE CAN
    I just played that song in GHII for the first time today. My friend and I were all "wtf is this shit." I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks it's annoying as hell.

And the song about messing with people blah blah is fucking horrible too.

Honestly though I think "You Really Got Me" annoys me more than anything else on the game.

Kaputa on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Kaputa wrote: »
    Honestly though I think "You Really Got Me" annoys me more than anything else on the game.

I hope they make you play Guitar Hero: Rocks the Made in Mexico in HELL.

UnbreakableVow on
  • hmxmosshmxmoss Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

I mean, if MS wasn't going to let them use their proprietary whatever wireless, why not do what many companies have been doing for PS2 wireless controllers?

Make a little USB stick that plugs into the USB port that connects wirelessly to the guitar, using standard RF controller tech that's already available to them (In the PS2 case, you have little recievers plugging into the controller ports)

Microsoft would disallow the dongle.

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    hmxmoss wrote: »

So why didn't you make two sets of controllers. One for the Xbox and the other for all the other systems?

_J_ on
  • anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I don't think I've seen any Cake love up ins.

It's a really untraditional band that has interesting parts for all instruments. Thus, I demand it.

Edit: Perhaps "really untraditional" is a bit much, but they aren't generic at least.

anable on
    edited September 2007
    anable wrote: »

It's a really untraditional band that has interesting parts for all instruments. Thus, I demand it.

Edit: Perhaps "really untraditional" is a bit much, but they aren't generic at least.

Cake would be awesome.

_J_ on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    _J_ wrote: »

So why didn't you make two sets of controllers. One for the Xbox and the other for all the other systems?

Um. They did.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying or something.

Daedalus on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited September 2007

Because MS is holding tightly onto the 'secret' of their wireless controls. Right now, only Red Octane with the GH3 controller is allowed to make a third party controller. That will probably change for Rock Band after a million $170 sets are sold or something.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited September 2007
    Daedalus wrote: »

Um. They did.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying or something.

I thought every system had its own controllers.

_J_ on
    edited September 2007

Well, why?

The Xbox360 wouldn't be recognizing it as wireless technology.

As far as the 360 itself were concerned, it wouldn't be any different than having a USB controller plugged into the USB port.

Basically, it would be the same has having a wired controller plugged into the USB port, except instead of the controller plugging directly into the port to transmit button presses, a little thingy recieving data from the controller is putting in the data....

But like I said. If you're going to do a wireless controller, you might as well do it right.

slash000 on
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So playing with a full band on 360 requires a USB splitter or hub? Kind of annoying

bruin on
    edited September 2007
    bruin wrote: »
    So playing with a full band on 360 requires a USB splitter or hub? Kind of annoying

It also requires a 360. Which itself is offputting.

_J_ on
  • CruixCruix Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    This game needs way more than just one Radiohead song, although, I'm ecstatic it's even there.

Cruix on
    housesig2.gif
    edited September 2007
    Cruix wrote: »
    This game needs way more than just one Radiohead song, although, I'm ecstatic it's even there.

I think this game needs every song.

_J_ on
    edited September 2007

I agree with this 100%

Can we start a petition?

Cruix on
    housesig2.gif
    edited September 2007

I agree with this 100%

Can we start a petition?

Probably.

If they made every song available for download and had an iTunes-esque system they could make money. Because when things are sold for profit money is made.

_J_ on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So, when they announce the Wii bundle tomorrow, the controllers plug into the wiimotes so they are wireless right?

Sorry, but right now GH3 has had some of the better hardware choices for the next generation. First RB don't support the Wii, but they do support the PS2, now they have a wired controller? Failing hard in my book. But I'll wait and see.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited September 2007
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    So, when they announce the Wii bundle tomorrow, the controllers plug into the wiimotes so they are wireless right?

Sorry, but right now GH3 has had some of the better hardware choices for the next generation. First RB don't support the Wii, but they do support the PS2, now they have a wired controller? Failing hard in my book. But I'll wait and see.

Wait. The controllers plug into the wiimotes?

So, you have the guitar controller, and a cable running to the wiimote...that...dangles loosely on the floor like a flacid cock?

_J_ on
    edited September 2007

So, you have the guitar controller, and a cable running to the wiimote...that...dangles loosely on the floor like a flacid cock?

The GH3 Wii guitar has a compartment that pops open, you plug the wiimote in and then put it inside the compartment and snap the cover over it. Complete wireless and it does the "tilt" detection for star power. I believe (I would have to check) it also allows access to the buttons for menu use.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited September 2007

The GH3 Wii guitar has a compartment that pops open, you plug the wiimote in and then put it inside the compartment and snap the cover over it. Complete wireless and it does the "tilt" detection for star power. I believe (I would have to check) it also allows access to the buttons for menu use.

That's much better than the flacid cock design.

_J_ on
    edited September 2007

Found it:
    http://wii.ign.com/articles/816/816619p1.html

guitar-hero-iii-legends-of-rock-20070829015535603.jpg

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited September 2007

Much, MUCH better.

That's actually a really neat design. I never had any incidents of tripping over USB wires plugged into the 360, but still .. after playing with wireless controllers it makes me feel so limited when my controller is plugged in. It's a step backwards, for sure.

Cruix on
    housesig2.gif
    edited September 2007
    I like that design.

_J_ on
    edited September 2007
    Is the Wii version going to have downloadeable content like the PS3 and xbox360? If it is I may go buy that Wii I saw today.

_J_ on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    It's not even confirmed that PS3 and 360 will have DLC. Only Rock Band has confirmed this, which isn't on Wii.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited September 2007
    It's not even confirmed that PS3 and 360 will have DLC. Only Rock Band has confirmed this, which isn't on Wii.

damn.

_J_ on
  • Seta 3000Seta 3000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So how many instruments does $170 get me

That's the whole package, right?

Seta 3000 on
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Seta 3000 wrote: »
    So how many instruments does $170 get me

That's the whole package, right?

The game + 1 drum kit, +1 guitar + 1 microphone.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007

Because MS is holding tightly onto the 'secret' of their wireless controls. Right now, only Red Octane with the GH3 controller is allowed to make a third party controller. That will probably change for Rock Band after a million $170 sets are sold or something.

Rock Band has wireless controllers on the 360.

They're just not packed in.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    anable wrote: »

Cake would be awesome.

Thats like the biggest understatement in the thread.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Inglorious CoyoteInglorious Coyote Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

I agree with this 100%

Can we start a petition?

Probably.

If they made every song available for download and had an iTunes-esque system they could make money. Because when things are sold for profit money is made.
    In the newest issue of GI that have an interview with some Harmonix folks and they mention this is definitely the plan, and it seems at least some of the record dompanies are down with it as a way to make extra money.

Inglorious Coyote on
  • StratoStrato Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

I agree with this 100%

Can we start a petition?

Probably.

In the newest issue of GI that have an interview with some Harmonix folks and they mention this is definitely the plan, and it seems at least some of the record dompanies are down with it as a way to make extra money.

Every song isn't going to be possible, because someone (official) needs to do the note charts, and make them good. But I'm all for as many songs as they can get.

Strato on