As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

ROCK BAND - mods close this please

• bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So uh, does the Rock Band guitar work with GH2?

Does anyone have that chart handy? I can't seem to find it.

bruin on
  • HelfMyselpHelfMyselp Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This is what is confirmed so far.

chart20copyrt5.png

Guitar chart should be added to the OP, btw.

HelfMyselp on
    edited October 2007
    Thanks, I added it

And shit, I still don't know what I'm going to be buying when this comes out

bruin on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    bruin wrote: »
    Thanks, I added it

Yeah, me neither. :( I bought GH2 360 for the Xplorer, so my gut tells me I'll be buying GH3 + guitar, then buying this pack and selling off the Strat to a needy person in the NYC metro area.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Why sell off the Strat?

Its the only one that will have 10 frets on it, and it will have the effects switch.

Hell if anything, I'd get rid of the 2 GH ones and get a 2nd Strat for all of them if they work for GH2/3

ManetherenWolf on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Why sell off the Strat?

Its the only one that will have 10 frets on it, and it will have the effects switch.

Hell if anything, I'd get rid of the 2 GH ones and get a 2nd Strat for all of them if they work for GH2/3

That's the thing. Given RO's militant stance against third-party controllers and the whole TAC lawsuit, I'd wager the Rock Band guitar will not be usable in GH3, whereas HMX seems fairly open to the idea of having the GH3 guitar usable in RB. This is all speculation for now, though -- which is irritating because I want to start planning my purchases and possibly lay down a preorder or two.

The GH2 guitars are confirmed to work with both GH3 and RB, though, so with my Xplorer I know I have a secondary guitar ready to rokk.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • archonwarparchonwarp Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Here's a sweet article from the guys who did the cover songs for guitar hero 1, 2, and 3 (I think).

http://www.tomsgames.com/us/2007/10/03/guitar_hero_behind_the_music/

Just for clarification, the extra buttons on the guitar hero 3 controller are simply for 'lulz', right? As in, they're there if you want to play on them, but they won't be needed? If that's the case, the Rock Band controller should work fine.

Man, I'm so fucking pumped for this game. It's a bigger level of pump than I even had for original Guitar Hero. I just wish they'd tell us the remaining few songs. Need Queen or Styx PLOX.

archonwarp on
    873342-1.png
  • the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    archonwarp wrote: »
    Here's a sweet article from the guys who did the cover songs for guitar hero 1, 2, and 3 (I think).

http://www.tomsgames.com/us/2007/10/03/guitar_hero_behind_the_music/

Just for clarification, the extra buttons on the guitar hero 3 controller are simply for 'lulz', right? As in, they're there if you want to play on them, but they won't be needed? If that's the case, the Rock Band controller should work fine.

Man, I'm so fucking pumped for this game. It's a bigger level of pump than I even had for original Guitar Hero. I just wish they'd tell us the remaining few songs. Need Queen or Styx PLOX.

Hmm...you may be mistaken about things. Extra buttons exist on the Rock Band controller, not the GH3 controller. they are however just for 'lulz' as you say. Optional for fun enhancement.

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
  • FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Don't forget the 5-way switch on the Strat... again ... for lulz or whatever

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • TSRTSR Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So I got to play for an hour and a half today. The Rock Band "tour bus" made a stop at my college campus and the demo stations were open for all comers.

Impressions? Well, I like the track list so far. I got to sing to Dani California, Are You Gonna Be My Girl, and Vasoline. I don't like that fact that game doesn't detect well when you to sing down an octave, so some parts of Are You Gonna Be My Girl got pretty screech-y.

As far as drums go, for extended use, the pedal can get pretty uncomfortable. Maybe it's just because I'm not a drummer IRL, but the muscle across my shin was getting a little sore after a couple of songs, and I'm not out of shape. The drums have a pretty steep learning curve as far as reading the beats, with a much bigger jump from Easy to Medium than on any other instrument.

The guitars, well, you all know how those work :P

TSR on
  • GorkGork Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Lunker wrote: »
    Thanks, I added it

Yeah, me neither. :( I bought GH2 360 for the Xplorer, so my gut tells me I'll be buying GH3 + guitar, then buying this pack and selling off the Strat to a needy person in the NYC metro area.

Well, GH3 comes out on the 28th and the Rock Band wireless 360 guitar comes out on November 1st as a standalone. We should know pretty soon after that whether it's compatible, but I can't imagine another reason why they would be releasing it so early.

Gork on
  • Ross MillsRoss Mills Mr. California, USARegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I can't find any info on this... is there a single-player mode to practice my drumming on my own?

Ross Mills on
    twitter-a.png
    edited October 2007
    Ross Mills wrote: »
    I can't find any info on this... is there a single-player mode to practice my drumming on my own?

There's full career modes for guitar, singing, and drums

bruin on
  • hmxmosshmxmoss Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    TSR wrote: »
    Impressions? Well, I like the track list so far. I got to sing to Dani California, Are You Gonna Be My Girl, and Vasoline. I don't like that fact that game doesn't detect well when you to sing down an octave, so some parts of Are You Gonna Be My Girl got pretty screech-y.

As for singing down an octave... I generally do the same thing, being more of a bass than a tenor. I think part of it is physics... lower pitches are more difficult (or slower) to detect. It's also possible that you might have just needed to turn up the mic gain a bit, which can be done on the fly.
    As far as drums go, for extended use, the pedal can get pretty uncomfortable. Maybe it's just because I'm not a drummer IRL, but the muscle across my shin was getting a little sore after a couple of songs, and I'm not out of shape.

I had the same thing as well when I started trying the drums here. Part of it is that you're using a different set of muscles that aren't used to that motion. In my case, also, there was some disconnect when I started that I always picked my foot up after a kick... which meant I was just holding it up until the next kick, and that tired those muscles out very fast. Now, of course, I just leave it down after the last kick of a group.

After having played RB drums here and there for the last several months, my shin doesn't get sore except with the most strenuous of songs.

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • NaloutoNalouto Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm glad to hear the difficulty is there on the drums, If the hard notes were any easier than say, something on hard in Taiko drum master, I would be upset.

sounds like things are going in the right direction.

Nalouto on
    :winky:
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Remember when I was saying that maybe instead of having wired controllers on the 360 you could have wireless ones with a dongle that makes the 360 'think' it is using wired controllers, thereby not needing to use MS's proprietary wireless tech, just how PS2 wireless controllers work?

Well it looks like this is how Red Octane is doing it for GHIII, but... for the PS3:

http://kotaku.com/gaming/nut-shot/wireless-guitar-hero-3-for-ps3-almost-lacks-wires-307585.php

So; couldn't a similar thing be done for the 360, for Rock Band?

The 360 would essentially 'think' it's being controlled by a wired, USB controller. And then EA/HMX could use whatever wireless standard they wanted; bluetooth or RF, without having to bother with whatever standard MS uses, as the controller would be communicating only with the dongle, and the dongle would be communicating via hard wire to the 360.

slash000 on
    edited October 2007
    Rock Band is also doing this for the PS3. Something about the bluetooth wireless that PS3's use isn't quite accurate enough for rhythm gaming.

the Togfather on
    twit feed
  • JoahWJoahW Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    slash000 wrote: »
    Remember when I was saying that maybe instead of having wired controllers on the 360 you could have wireless ones with a dongle that makes the 360 'think' it is using wired controllers, thereby not needing to use MS's proprietary wireless tech, just how PS2 wireless controllers work?

Well it looks like this is how Red Octane is doing it for GHIII, but... for the PS3:

http://kotaku.com/gaming/nut-shot/wireless-guitar-hero-3-for-ps3-almost-lacks-wires-307585.php

The 360 would essentially 'think' it's being controlled by a wired, USB controller. And then EA/HMX could use whatever wireless standard they wanted; bluetooth or RF, without having to bother with whatever standard MS uses, as the controller would be communicating only with the dongle, and the dongle would be communicating via hard wire to the 360.
    I know next to nothing about copyright laws and whatnot, but couldn't/wouldn't microsoft just nix such a device from the console, as it bypasses their wireless tech, and therefore, their profits?

JoahW on
    Jamada.gif
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Rock Band is also doing this for the PS3. Something about the bluetooth wireless that PS3's use isn't quite accurate enough for rhythm gaming.

that probably has to go with the way to common desynching problem

bloodyroarxx on
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    JoahW wrote: »

I know next to nothing about copyright laws and whatnot, but couldn't/wouldn't microsoft just nix such a device from the console, as it bypasses their wireless tech, and therefore, their profits?

no because MS isn't giving anyone rights to use their wireless tech.

bloodyroarxx on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I am SO happy that they are using a Wiimote for connection to the Wii instead of dongles (I know it's practically a dongle, just on the opposite end) since it makes things so simple and nice. My only other wish is that it would reduce the price some since they don't have to pay for the wireless chips or anything, but fat chance there.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Doesn't the wireless GH2 Xplorer use the proprietary MS wireless tech? They let people use it, it just costs a LOT.

KalTorak on
  • hmxmosshmxmoss Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Yes, they would. I mentioned this earlier in the thread.

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • JoahWJoahW Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    KalTorak wrote: »

Doesn't the wireless GH2 Xplorer use the proprietary MS wireless tech? They let people use it, it just costs a LOT.
    There was no wireless Xplorer IIRC.

There is a wireless GH3 controller coming out for the 360, though.

I guess what I'm asking is if it's possible for Microsoft to just say no to a USB device that bypasses their wireless tech. Is Microsoft in full control of what peripherals can and can't work on their console?

Edit: Ah, thanks Moss. That's what I thought you meant in that previous post, but it was kind of vague.

JoahW on
    Jamada.gif
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I don't understand this. Since the days of at least NES, there have been 3rd party controllers. (Did Atari have 3rd party controllers?) Why all of a sudden in this generation are they being all secretive with everything?
    Why doesn't MS allow use of their wireless for alternative controllers?
    Why doesn't Sony?
    Why doesn't Nintendo (outside of the capability to plug into the wiimote)?

I can kinda understand Sony/Nintendo if prices for the tech for tilt/etc don't allow a cheap enough 3rd party alternative to be profitable, but I haven't even seen cheap 3rd party "classic controller" or "nunchuck". Who is going to make all the completely crappy ideas of controller redesigns for parents to buy for their kids?!

This should probably be in another thread, but I'm referencing it in regards to peripherals such as guitars, etc specifically since they all seem to be wired or have dongles for some reason when wireless is already there. I don't care about a 3rd party wiimote that can also work my TV.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I really really hope the wireless GH controller is compatible with RB. After putting up with wired PS2 controllers, I absolutely loathe the idea of keeping wires for the 360 version.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm listening to the Foo Fighter's latest, Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace. There are a couple of songs that wouldn't real work, since they're acoustic with no drums, but I'm thinking it would make a kickin' DLC album. The Pretender and The Long Road to Ruin would both be excellent songs to go into Rock Band, I say.

I'd get so pumped off The Pretender.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Omeks wrote: »
    I'm listening to the Foo Fighter's latest, Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace. There are a couple of songs that wouldn't real work, since they're acoustic with no drums, but I'm thinking it would make a kickin' DLC album. The Pretender and The Long Road to Ruin would both be excellent songs to go into Rock Band, I say.

I like Foo Fighters, but damn. This game is already centered around Dave Grohl:

Be Dave Grohl on "In Bloom"
    Be Dave Grohl on "Learn to Fly"
    Be Dave Grohl on "The Hand That Feeds" (he drummed for that particular NIN album)

UnbreakableVow on
  • StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The new FF album is underwhelming!
    My opinion is always always right, so there!

:P

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
    edited October 2007

Be Dave Grohl on "The Hand That Feeds" (he drummed for that particular NIN album)

You forgot "Go With the Flow"

bruin on
  • Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Grohlband m i rite?

Mr Bubbles on
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Mr Bubbles wrote: »

Grohlband m i rite?

Now we just need some Tenacious D.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
    edited October 2007
    Damn. Forgot about QOTSA. It's scary how much stuff Grohl is involved with.

UnbreakableVow on
  • OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Someone should make a RB band comprised of Dave Grohl lookalikes. He plays damn near everything anyway.

It would be the balls! :^:

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
    edited October 2007
    Someone should make a RB band comprised of Dave Grohl lookalikes. He plays damn near everything anyway.

It would be the balls! :^:

I have two friends that are like serious Foo Fighters fanboys (like...seriously.), and I'm pretty fond of them myself, so I can see this happening.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited October 2007
    Page effin five? Damn people, what happened...all the Grohl talk scare everyone away?

Anyway, Rock Ban is listed as one of the featured games for tonight's Player's Ball over at Gamespot. I'm hoping we might have some new info revealed...could always use a song announcement or two...

the Togfather on
    twit feed
  • elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Page effin five? Damn people, what happened...all the Grohl talk scare everyone away?

Anyway, Rock Ban is listed as one of the featured games for tonight's Player's Ball over at Gamespot. I'm hoping we might have some new info revealed...could always use a Wii announcement...

Fixed.

elevature on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    elevature wrote: »

Anyway, Rock Ban is listed as one of the featured games for tonight's Player's Ball over at Gamespot. I'm hoping we might have some new info revealed...could always use a Wii announcement...

Fixed.

I'm starting to think that (if it comes in the near future at all) we won't be getting a Wii announcement until after the 360/PS3 version drops. I just hope it'll be before the PS2 one comes.

KalTorak on
    edited October 2007
    KalTorak wrote: »
    elevature wrote: »

Fixed.

I'm starting to think that (if it comes in the near future at all) we won't be getting a Wii announcement until after the 360/PS3 version drops. I just hope it'll be before the PS2 one comes.

I dunno about that, the PS2 version comes out two and a half week after the 360/PS3 one.

bruin on
  • Inglorious CoyoteInglorious Coyote Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Any word yet on whether the Rock Band Fender will work with GHIII, or vice-versa?

Inglorious Coyote on