As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ROCK BAND - mods close this please

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Any word yet on whether the Rock Band Fender will work with GHIII, or vice-versa?

Not yet..which blows since it's being said that the GH3 guitar is superior to the Rock Band one. Now I don't know if I should purchase Gh3 for my ps2 (game only) and save some money, or get the 360 version so I can play with a superior guitar both games.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    All I want to know is if the Rock Band guitar will work with GH2. Then I can trade in one of my GH2 guitars towards the Rock Band bundle, then I'll have every controller needed for both games. I'm not interested in GH3 really.

bruin on
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    My plan is to get the RB guitar and the Guitar Hero III guitar and use them both for the lead and bass sections.

Unfortunately, I'll probably end up using the Les Paula bit more since it's wireless. I was hoping for a wireless Stratocaster. At least I won't have to deal with changing a whole mess of batteries with them being wired, I guess.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    bruin wrote: »
    All I want to know is if the Rock Band guitar will work with GH2. Then I can trade in one of my GH2 guitars towards the Rock Band bundle, then I'll have every controller needed for both games. I'm not interested in GH3 really.

The Rock Band guitar will work with GH2, and the GH2 guitar will work for Rock Band. It's the Rock Band-GH3 compatibility we don't know about.

Edit: At least that's what I thought, but that chart thing says we don't know. Huh.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    bruin wrote: »

The Rock Band guitar will work with GH2, and the GH2 guitar will work for Rock Band. It's the Rock Band-GH3 compatibility we don't know about.

Edit: At least that's what I thought, but that chart thing says we don't know. Huh.

No, your first statement is right. Last I'd checked, both the GH3 and RB sites/forums confirm that both of their guitars will work with GH2, and the GH2 guitars will work with GH3 and RB. Which is why I got the GH2 360 Xplorer, because it'll work with everything. I'm still undecided about what to do with GH3; my gut is telling me I'll be getting the GH3 Les Paul and using that + the GH2 Explorer, just selling off the RB Strat to someone locally (if anyone in the NYC metro area wants it for a fair price, we'll work something out).

I'm really, really hoping we get the guitar compatibility news on both games soon, though, this is getting frustrating.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Someone update this chart and I'll put it in the OP.

chart20copyrt5.png

We're going to need a new thread soon actually. Hm

bruin on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I really hope the GHIII guitars work with RB. I really do.

slash000 on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I do believe the developers have said they do.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Cherrn wrote: »
    I do believe the developers have said they do.

well.. what they said was that they've left the controller standard open for third parties...

So it's more of a question of, "Did ns/activision/whoever make the GHIII controller to conform to the open standard of the acceptable RB controller"?

slash000 on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Any word yet on whether the Rock Band Fender will work with GHIII, or vice-versa?

Not yet..which blows since it's being said that the GH3 guitar is superior to the Rock Band one. Now I don't know if I should purchase Gh3 for my ps2 (game only) and save some money, or get the 360 version so I can play with a superior guitar both games.

Wait, who's saying that? I always kinda assumed the RB one was going to be the better one, what with the more buttons, and the fact it looks a little bit more "real" than the GH one. I was planning to just use my xplorer and buy GHIII stand alone, but fuck if that's not the case now.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I would like to read who is saying the GH3 guitar is better.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    AhtariAhtari Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yeah the RB guitar has more features then the GH3 one, plus it looks like a real guitar.

Ahtari on
  • Options
    wobblyheadedbobwobblyheadedbob Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I would like to read who is saying the GH3 guitar is better.

On the 1up Yours podcast, one of the people talks about how the GHIII guitar feels better and more solid than the Rock Band controller. Or something.

wobblyheadedbob on
  • Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Dude from 1up was saying the buttons on the Les Paul are far superior but when I hear that kind of stuff I have to think he's either a newb or has sensitive hands because I'm just as good with any plastic guitar and I've tried about 6 different ones.

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Kyougu wrote: »

Who is saying that the GH3 guitar is superior to the Rock Band one? The Rock Band Strat looks by all accounts amazing. The GH3 guitar looks like another toy, and I'm willing to bet that it's almost exactly like the Gibson SG.

The strat? Click-free strum-bar. That is nice.

EDIT: How did I miss all those posts above this one?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Ahtari wrote: »
    Yeah the RB guitar has more features then the GH3 one, plus it looks like a real guitar.

More features? Besides having 'solo buttons', what else?

But yeah, it definitely looks a lot more awesome.

As far as the button thing goes, everyone has their own preferences. So some people 'hate' one kind of controller and 'love' another kind, when someone else might feel the opposite.

oh and also..

I, for one, like the clicking sounds of the old GH controller's strum bar.

slash000 on
  • Options
    The CheeseThe Cheese Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    slash000 wrote: »

5-way switch.

The Cheese on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    The Cheese wrote: »
    slash000 wrote: »

5-way switch.

What's that? ( I don't know shit about guitars)

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    On a guitar it switches between pickups. On the controller it adds effects to the guitar's sound.

The Cheese on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The Harmonix guitar may have more features but keep in mind for Red Octane this will be 5th (or 4th?) guitar they've put out (SG for GH I PS2 SG again for PS2 GH2 plus wireless guitar they put out for the PS2(though that could of been the ant people) and the xplorer for the xbox)

That's alot of previous experience in making guitars (and keep in mind that is Red Octanes job they just make periphals) so I wouldn't write off Red Octanes ability to make the guitars.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I like how it splits into 2 parts.

slash000 on
  • Options
    HelfMyselpHelfMyselp Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Hey, you guys talking about guitars and compatibility and stuff. Yeah, you. I'll gladly update the chart for the OP if you can find me concrete proof of compatibility for any of the question marked areas. :D

HelfMyselp on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The fender will work for GHII. The only real question is whether the GHIII will work with RB and vice versa.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Blaket wrote: »
    The Harmonix guitar may have more features but keep in mind for Red Octane this will be 5th (or 4th?) guitar they've put out (SG for GH I PS2 SG again for PS2 GH2 plus wireless guitar they put out for the PS2(though that could of been the ant people) and the xplorer for the xbox)

That's alot of previous experience in making guitars (and keep in mind that is Red Octanes job they just make periphals) so I wouldn't write off Red Octanes ability to make the guitars.

I'm not saying GHIII's will be bad (they've got the basic body shape down, which was the only problem with the X-plorer, really), but I wouldn't discount RB's either. Red Octane made the GH controllers, true, but I'm sure Harmonix knows a shit-ton about the controllers and how to build a fine product.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I'm not bashing Harmonix at all but knowing how to make one and have previously made one is a huge difference.

Also despite the company knowing a bunch about controllors that doesn't mean that much when it comes to building them. Hmxmoss doesn't sit in his cubicle making drum sets for everyone, it's done by a third party.

Additionally where you go to get them built is a huge difference. I can design stuff and send it off to be made, but I know from experience some places may be able to get alot of units out quickly but are unable to build them to a high standard. Other places may build them to a high standard but have a poor QA system on sourcing materials so the end product may suffer. Also keep in mind that RO now would probably have a list of decent manufactures and standing contracts with them so Harmonix would need to get them made somewhere else which hasn't been tested before.

I mean look at Toyota, sure they know a shit ton about cars but despite spending an absolute bomb on Research and Technology when they joined the F1 they didn't do that well. Simpley because they had never been in that environment before.

At the end of the day what I'm saying is Harmonix is on a big uphill battle to equal (or beat) Red Octane's effort simply because RO has a bucket more experience. And I hope they do manage to make a fine product but really you'd have to give RO first round points when you just look at the two teams on paper.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Fair enough. I have both pre-ordered anyway.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Nalouto wrote: »
    or a GH3 controller fuckass!

....what's a "fuckass"?

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    MonkeydryeMonkeydrye Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Gamespy interview with the art guys on RB. INTERVIEW

The venues sound awesome! Not to mention the lengths they went to in how the band acts.

Monkeydrye on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Monkeydrye wrote: »
    Gamespy interview with the art guys on RB. INTERVIEW

The venues sound awesome! Not to mention the lengths they went to in how the band acts.

Don't suppose you could cut/paste for those of us at work?

Aoi on
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    This is a massive wall of text.
    IGN wrote:
    GameSpy: To start, can you talk a bit about how the venues in Rock Band work? Do you unlock them sequentially, as in some of your previous games, or can you jump around to different venues at any time?
    Pete MacDonald: It's much more organic and realistic than our previous games. You choose a starting city and you play a few gigs at a small club in that city until you earn a van. The van allows you to tour neighboring cities. After you've earned some fans locally you can play at larger venues in the local cites, then you earn a tour bus which unlocks other cites on the same continent. Later you get a plane which unlocks other continents and far-flung cities, but the whole time you keep unlocking gigs and venues in cities you've played before so you keep looping back and zig-zagging around, choosing between any number of available gigs.
    Ryan Lesser: The vibe of the player's tour was meant to really mimic what it is like when you are in a band, trying to get more and more fans around the country or even world. A lot of us have been on tour with our bands and we wanted to get some of that feeling out there. One of the craziest parts of touring is "new day, new town."
    GameSpy: How many cities and venues are there?
    Pete MacDonald: There are 41 venues spread across 17 cities. It's an amazing amount of work. I'm so proud of what this team has accomplished in less than a year.
    GameSpy: Are the venues based on real-world locations, completely fictional fabrications, or some combination of the two? What were the factors in deciding where to draw that line?
    Pete MacDonald: Obviously, we started by looking at real-world venues for inspiration, but truthfully, most real-world venues look kind of the same on the inside. Or, more accurately: the sorts of things that are different between two venues, which you would notice as somebody at a show, don't really come across very clearly when the cameras are moving around and cutting really fast. So we needed strong visual hooks for each venue that are bolder than most real-world venues.

So even in places where we were strongly inspired by a real place, we amped up the decor of the stage and room so it could be noticed. For example, Bay City Theater in San Francisco started out being inspired by The Fillmore, but most of the beauty of the room itself didn't get any camera time in the game, so we latched onto the look of the psychedelic concert posters that you see at The Fillmore and made a stage that celebrates that.
    Ryan Lesser: Yeah, we typically like to put some local "in" jokes into our games and Rock Band is no exception. As Pete said... the problem with really referencing a club that is out there is that a black room is a black room, y'know? Instead of just making the Bug Jar in Rochester or the old Providence club BabyHead, we used them as inspiration and put our own mark on them. It is also worth noting that we wanted to give the impression that these venues were in different parts of the world without being cheesy. We tried to avoid things like putting the venue in the Eiffel Tower and instead chose to do things like referencing art movements from the history of those cities... so that the club would feel like it was really built in that location at some point in time.

GameSpy: Can you describe the process behind coming up with the game's current art style? Was it something that the team had in mind from the start, or did you try out several different styles before arriving at the final look?
    Ryan Lesser: I wanted the game to be reminiscent of the more serious, more pro, more extravagant side of Rock and Roll. Big Rock from the '70s was a real inspiration for me. A few of us, including Kevin McGinnis (our Shell Lead) had been roughing out the idea of having the shell look like early rock video stuff. That grew and grew and I started to get really inspired by TREX's Born to Boogie live footage shot by Ringo Starr and early rock documentaries and live performances. I started describing to everyone the look; film grain, rich color, handheld cameras, musicians interacting with the camera, exposure flicker, etc.

One important moment in the development of the look was when Rob Kay (Lead Designer) digitized a little moment from The Who's performance from The Kids Are Alright of "Won't Get Fooled Again" where they come back from the bridge and Roger Daltrey is doing his little jig and then Keith Moon starts killing the drums culminating in this insane moment where all four of them hit a note and explode. The camera shifts and goes slo-mo and Pete Townshend powerslides past John Entwhistle. It was so great and summed up the whole vibe in 15 seconds. This clip lead directly to my concept of Directed Cuts, where the characters do amazing rock moves for the camera's sake. David Lee Roth in the "Jump" video was also a big inspiration for the Camera Interacts.
    Pete MacDonald: Ryan had some pretty clear direction for us right from the start. He wanted the game to look like a live performance music video -- the kind where they take footage from several live performances and edit them together to get all the most exciting moments into one video. This approach was a big change for us and freed us up to do things like show the guitarist doing a power slide, then cut to the same guitarist standing on top of a grand piano.

As far as the presentation of the stage, crowd and lights, we wanted the space to feel timeless, atmospheric and authentic. By "timeless" what I really mean is pre-digital age. We wanted it to feel like 1979. Not that there's anything special about '79, but it means you can have psychedelic and early Heavy Metal art without being ironic about it, and you don't have laptops or digital sound and lighting equipment.

GameSpy: So, with that in mind, what kind of new little details should we be looking for in the venues?
    Pete MacDonald: The camera work is the most noticeable change. The characters interact with the camera, kicking it or head-butting it. The camera cuts very quickly and there's no continuity. You'll see the singer and bassist singing together, then next cut you see the singer doing a stage dive. That kind of stuff just wasn't possible in our previous games.
    Ryan Lesser: Yes! I love this stuff. It took a while for us to get it in, but once it went in, everyone could see how cool it was. The first time you see the singer kick the camera it is just so rad!
    Pete MacDonald: Our lights are all new technology. We have volumetric fog, HDR and greater realism in the lighting in general.

We use a variety of post-process effects to re-enforce the whole music video look. Some songs will have a soft sepia look to them and others will use grainy black and white or look like a green security camera.
    Ryan Lesser: Pete and I had a lot of cool ideas for these post-process effects, some of which made it in. He did an awesome job working these in to give the feel of film without going overboard.
    Pete MacDonald: The venues' stages are more realistic. You won't see any giant cartoony animatronic zombies, but you will see some killer pyro fx and amazing light and video displays. All the sound equipment is real stuff and super-detailed. It's all done that way to make the live performance feel authentic.
    Ryan Lesser: On the realism tip... I think our first amp that Sasso modeled for the game had about the same amount of polys and pixels as a character from our last game! We wanted the gear to have as much character as anything else... wanting to see the silverface mesh on amps or the glow of the warm tubes behind the heads. Obviously... the programmers slapped us silly but it did set the tone. We wanted awesome detail in venues.

GameSpy: Was any on-location scouting involved in helping to create the locations?
    Pete MacDonald: We did go to some of our local rock clubs during the day and take photos for reference. Mostly we just wanted reminders of all the little technical details. There's an incredible amount of technology needed to put on a rock show, and we wanted to show all that stuff.
    GameSpy: We have three cities that are being announced here -- Chicago, Seattle and San Francisco. To start, can you give us some background on the Chicago venues?
    Pete MacDonald: The Rails is a former industrial space. Chicago is full of old factories that are being converted into new uses. I did the concept based on that idea and Steve Kimura built it out and made it a lot better than I imagined it.

The Salt House went through two designs. The first design was inspired by the House of Blues, but we had some trouble getting the colors to work out. Right at the end of the project we re-did it completely based on a more modern design.

Remember that Guns and Roses video for "November Rain" where Slash does a solo on top of a white grand piano? That's pretty much what inspired this stage.
    A shot of the cozy Jimmy Astros venue, set in Seattle.

GameSpy: How about the Seattle venues?
    Pete MacDonald: We had the design for Jimmy Astros before we knew where it would be. It's a 1950s bowling alley, Googie design with a big neon sign of a rocket ship behind the stage. It could have worked in any American city, but I like it in Seattle. That style is more strongly a west coast thing.

Gas Works Tavern is a roadhouse. We decided to leave Patrick Swayze out of it. Not "rock" enough.

The Sealth Theater is inspired by Pacific Northwest Native American Art... Just because I love that stuff.
    GameSpy: Finally, can you talk about the San Francisco venues?
    Pete MacDonald: Alice's Free Love Cafe, obviously, pays homage to Alice's Restaurant. It's a really karmic place full of groovy people. As I mentioned earlier Bay City Theater was inspired by the psychedelic poster art from the mid-sixties.

The Quarter Hole is an old videogame arcade. The coolest thing about this stage is all the goofy video games Steve came up with when building it. I'm not going to spoil the surprise; you're just going to have to take a close look when you get there.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    MonkeydryeMonkeydrye Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Thanks Spork :)

Monkeydrye on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Love you Spork! <3

Aoi on
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    Cheques in the mail I take it then.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    HelfMyselp wrote: »
    Hey, you guys talking about guitars and compatibility and stuff. Yeah, you. I'll gladly update the chart for the OP if you can find me concrete proof of compatibility for any of the question marked areas. :D

Here's info on the GH2/GH3 guitar cross-compatibility with both GH2 and GH3. From the official FAQ on the GH2 forum about GH3.
    3. How is the functionality of the PS3 Les Paul wireless for the older Guitar Hero games (released on PS2)?

Correction: The new PS3 Les Paul wireless controller will NOT work at all with any of the Playstation2 Guitar Hero titles when played on the PS3. We suggest that you keep your PS2 console around to play the older PS2 Guitar Hero games. Using a PS2-to-PS3 USB adapter, GH1 will work on the PS3 using either the SG or the original PS2 wireless guitar.

4. For Xbox 360, will the X-plorer wired controller work on GH3 and will the Les Paul wireless work on GH2?

The X-plorer will work perfectly fine w/GH3 on Xbox 360. The Les Paul wireless will have 100% compatibility with GH2.

9. For PS2, will the current SG controller and the old wireless controller be compatible for Guitar Hero 3?

Yes.

13. Will the new PS2 wireless Kramer Striker guitar work fine when used with all of the older PS2 Guitar Hero games when played on the PS2?

Yes.

21. Will there be cross platform compatibility between the different GH3 wireless guitars?

No. This question has appeared here and there and is mainly meant for owners of PS2/PS3 consoles.

So in shorthand, as I understand it (please correct me if you think it's otherwise, this is terribly confusing):

• 360: GH2 wired Xplorer will work in both GH2 and GH3; GH3 wireless Les Paul will work in both GH2 and GH3.

• PS2: GH2 wired SG and older wireless controllers will work in GH1, GH2 and GH3; GH3 wireless Kramer will work in GH1, GH2 and GH3. (But the PS3 GH3 wireless Les Paul will not work on the PS2 at all.)

• PS3: Here's where it gets gamey. The GH3 wireless Les Paul will not work when playing GH1 or GH2 on the PS3. If you have a wired GH2 PS2 controller and a PS2-PS3 controller adapter, GH1 is playable but GH2 is not. (And the PS2 GH3 wireless Kramer will not work on the PS3.)

I'm still looking for the Rock Band confirmation, but I'm fairly certain HMX has said that on the 360, the RB Strat will work with GH2. Dunno about PS3 yet, but it's not looking likely given the guitar problems the wired GH2 controllers have with the PS3's back-compatibility.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Song Announcement: "Welcome Home" by Coheed and Cambria

here

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
  • Options
    YardGnomeYardGnome Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

here

YES

YES YES YES

I've wanted this song in a game for so long.

YardGnome on
  • Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    YardGnome wrote: »

here

YES

YES YES YES

I bet it was easier to license than Kashmir.

(I like Welcome Home but srsly)

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

here

Well I can't sing that high...

Mr Bubbles on
  • Options
    the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Mr Bubbles wrote: »

here

Well I can't sing that high...

yah, I'm thinking I'll have some troubles w/ that too...odd that I don't worry about any of the femail vocalist songs so far...

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    FightTest wrote: »
    YardGnome wrote: »

here

YES

YES YES YES

I bet it was easier to license than Kashmir.

(I like Welcome Home but srsly)

Heheh.

The Cheese on