As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[XCOM] Thread Executed by regenerating Outsider

19495969798100»

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Haha I've also got a psi sniper that I'm training up and he spends more of his time waving his hands mysteriously at enemies than he does looking through a scope.

Also my untouchable Nix came within 4 hitpoints of being killed outright and that scared me shitless.

Since squadsight allows critical hits in EU she's easily the most powerful part of my team. She carries everybody.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    What do I do to change the namelist these days? I replace the file with a custom name list as before but in game its the same old official list again.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Oof. In long war your terror missions can be 100 percent zombies and crysalids!

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Oof. In long war your terror missions can be 100 percent zombies and crysalids!

My second terror mission in EU was all Chryssalids.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    My current LW exalt mission starts me off fighting 10 exalt at once, and reinforces them with 4 more on the second turn.

LW
    plz

Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I was attacking the alien base and walked around a corner into six chrysalids

sighhhh

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I was attacking the alien base and walked around a corner into six chrysalids

sighhhh

You seem to have a bug problem. Do you have any exterminators?

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    The answer to sectopods is proximity mines. When you hear the THUMP THUMP WHOOOM of sectopod feet, get yourself a nice stack of prox mines up against a wall like a rat trap. Pull the thing back into them and it should take a pretty significant chunk of damage.

Or, alternatively, get yourself an assault with an alloy cannon, shoot it from 2 tiles away twice, and then give it a falcon punch with your MEC. Falcon punch > sectopods.

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    The answer to sectopods is proximity mines. When you hear the THUMP THUMP WHOOOM of sectopod feet, get yourself a nice stack of prox mines up against a wall like a rat trap. Pull the thing back into them and it should take a pretty significant chunk of damage.

Or, alternatively, get yourself an assault with an alloy cannon, shoot it from 2 tiles away twice, and then give it a falcon punch with your MEC. Falcon punch > sectopods.

Falcon Punching Sectopods is not ideal, since your MEC will take damage from the explosion. It's not like punching Cyberdisks where you turn them into a fastball special.

• Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    sometimes you gotta eat sectopod explosion because otherwise your entire team is eating sectopod rockets to the face. or laser blasts. Or whatever it is they fire.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Eh, the sectopod explosion doesn't usually cut through the armor on a MEC. In the base game, MECs only have like 6 or 7 HP base and then + 20 or whatever from armor. Eating 8 damage on your MEC is better than eating 10 on whatever the sectopod decides to shoot.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    So my main three complains with LW are this

1) The air war is bullshit and basically unwinnable. I am upgrading my fighters as fast as humanly possible and the enemy still consistently shoots down my satellites with basically no possible way to retaliate. Not with 4 interceptors set to hunt fighters. This is the second successful satellite interception i've had in one month(month 3) and the third one they've tried. On top of that there is, more or less, no way to recover from the terror gained... except raid the bases that they create... which you can't do without shooting down enemy aircraft... which you can't do without satellites... (plus the satellites are expensive)... which you can't have because the enemy just shoots them down... which you can't stop because the enemy flys too many satellite interception missions

2) Too many seekers. They just plain unfun bullshit. A few is OK because you can scan them out, but when its 3+ groups its just "hunker down and hope that they don't decide to take random flanking shots instead" because you almost cannot take enough scanners in any group and because even if you do scan them they offer no interesting tactical choices because they're flying (permanent low cover equivalent) and will simply flank you. If you buy the "can't be strangled items" it just means that seekers just flank you more which is in many ways counter productive.

3) I really hate overwatch on discovery and there isn't a way to turn it off.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    2) my solution to the seeker issue is Training roulette I guess. trying to hit the sweet spot of scanners still but I guess it is between 3-4. also depends heavily on the mission type and what else I can bring.

I can dig seekers. well, once you can reliably kill them.

1) I guess it is just set that way so you lose satellites to make stealth satellites actually worth the investment because non-LW it is not needed at all. fuck, if I am grinding in expansion/vanilla I'll gladly take the extra UFO downed.

also you develope your sat game differently in LW imho. you need 5-6 un-upgraded interceptors per continent to contain small UFOs. this means you do not get to go for a second continent bonus right away. let's say you start in Europe. the first two satellites you launch are going to launch in Europe because you can protect them. branching out to a different continent is very expensive initially because you need interceptors there first that can handle the defense

3) on floaters? floaters love overwatch until they can pull off bullshit flank shots. this makes fucked up situations worse for you and good situations better. if you hear that floaters are close by you need to brace yourself. remember those 3-4 battlescanners you brought? one of those packs is now not a seeker pack. you just got a free BS to try to exploit.

scherbchen on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    I don't like the extra damage randomisation. The explosives change (distance from impact) I'm fine with, but when dropping an AP grenade directly on someone's head does 6 damage one turn and 2 damage the next (without DR) it kinda pisses me off. And then another enemy caught at the very edge of the blast still takes 3 damage. Ugh.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    YogoYogo Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Goumindong wrote: »

1) The air war is bullshit and basically unwinnable. I am upgrading my fighters as fast as humanly possible and the enemy still consistently shoots down my satellites with basically no possible way to retaliate. Not with 4 interceptors set to hunt fighters. This is the second successful satellite interception i've had in one month(month 3) and the third one they've tried. On top of that there is, more or less, no way to recover from the terror gained... except raid the bases that they create... which you can't do without shooting down enemy aircraft... which you can't do without satellites... (plus the satellites are expensive)... which you can't have because the enemy just shoots them down... which you can't stop because the enemy flys too many satellite interception missions

2) Too many seekers. They just plain unfun bullshit. A few is OK because you can scan them out, but when its 3+ groups its just "hunker down and hope that they don't decide to take random flanking shots instead" because you almost cannot take enough scanners in any group and because even if you do scan them they offer no interesting tactical choices because they're flying (permanent low cover equivalent) and will simply flank you. If you buy the "can't be strangled items" it just means that seekers just flank you more which is in many ways counter productive.

Well, you'll be happy to know that I have the solution to all your problems (except 2 and 3).

It's called editing the .ini file on two specific points: Air repair time and money earned from missions.

I halved the repair time for fighters, so that a single hit constitutes 3 days of repair and a max of 15 days of repair for almost destroyed. This makes the air game a lot better. You don't down UFO's any faster than before, but you aren't unbelievably punish for mere attempting to shoot down that seeking UFO.

I upped the money earned from doing abduction mission from 100 to 300 (you don't get 300 all time. Only on swarming missions). In the beginning (and due to my Africa bonus) this meant a pretty big income and I was able to rush build my base and get 2 thermo generators up and running.

But it began to even out as countries left the XCOM project. At the moment I have Africa and South America locked down with only 2 countries in Europe. Rest are gone. This gives me an estimated income of 250-300 funbucks after expensives deducted. With EXALT draining my money, I still hit -200 to -300 once in a while which really hurts even if I can take an abduction mission to get money.

However, here's the kicker: by intercepting abductor UFOs and getting them to land, I get to raid the UFO but I won't get any substantial amount of money since I need to parts to tech or build stuff. So it becomes a choice between available funds and possible salvage for future missions.

I find these changes overall better for the enjoyment of LW. I really like the different classes, abilities, Mecs, gear and different enemy composition. I also like the air combat, but it was very unforgiving with the original settings. With these new settings, I can at least feel challenged tactically and strategically without feeling like I am banging my head against the wall (air specifically).

Yogo on
  • Options
    scherbchen wrote: »
    2) my solution to the seeker issue is Training roulette I guess. trying to hit the sweet spot of scanners still but I guess it is between 3-4. also depends heavily on the mission type and what else I can bring.

I can dig seekers. well, once you can reliably kill them.

1) I guess it is just set that way so you lose satellites to make stealth satellites actually worth the investment because non-LW it is not needed at all. fuck, if I am grinding in expansion/vanilla I'll gladly take the extra UFO downed.

also you develope your sat game differently in LW imho. you need 5-6 un-upgraded interceptors per continent to contain small UFOs. this means you do not get to go for a second continent bonus right away. let's say you start in Europe. the first two satellites you launch are going to launch in Europe because you can protect them. branching out to a different continent is very expensive initially because you need interceptors there first that can handle the defense

3) on floaters? floaters love overwatch until they can pull off bullshit flank shots. this makes fucked up situations worse for you and good situations better. if you hear that floaters are close by you need to brace yourself. remember those 3-4 battlescanners you brought? one of those packs is now not a seeker pack. you just got a free BS to try to exploit.

1) I know how its set up. But i have 6 interceptors in my one continent and even with anti-fighter research and one time bonuses and running to advanced air i can't take down their anti-sat ops over a single goddamned country. Shit. They killed my sat then I immediately put another up, then they sent another fucking fighter to take it down 2 days after that. I have 6 interceptors, all of which are heavily damaged because rushing anti-air hasn't helped win the air war.

2) Look i bring 4 scanners a mission and run out because it takes more than 1 scanner to take down a pack when they decide they're going to trickle in. Then they do trickle in and "fuck you we're flying enemies". You can't go aggressive on them because they're invisible unless you save/reload in order to find them on your turn with an advanced sweeper (which they can wait out)

3) Mainly on cyberdisks, but yes on floaters too.

edit: that makes 4. They just sent a medium sized craft to intercept my satellite.... that i just launched.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    2) well they are not really invisible. they start uncloaked and upon discovery 2-3 of that 4-pack go to stealth. now the stealthed ones go straight for you, only slower than the one(s) that go berserk.

plop down a BS between where you activeated them from and where they activated them and you should be able to see all Seekers. Sometimes you miss the one Seeker who thinks he is sooooo clever. but at this point you should be able to lock down one with suppression, kill at least one and then you go from there.

Sucks balls with ballistic weapons but lasers ought to do it.

1) beeline Lasers and then Advanced Lasers. Dunno if I am stating the obvious here but Laser Cannons on your interceptors make the hugest of differences.

3) yeah, fuck cyberdisks. seriously.

• Options
    Yogo wrote: »
    Goumindong wrote: »

Well, you'll be happy to know that I have the solution to all your problems (except 2 and 3).

It's called editing the .ini file on two specific points: Air repair time and money earned from missions.

I halved the repair time for fighters, so that a single hit constitutes 3 days of repair and a max of 15 days of repair for almost destroyed. This makes the air game a lot better. You don't down UFO's any faster than before, but you aren't unbelievably punish for mere attempting to shoot down that seeking UFO.

I upped the money earned from doing abduction mission from 100 to 300 (you don't get 300 all time. Only on swarming missions). In the beginning (and due to my Africa bonus) this meant a pretty big income and I was able to rush build my base and get 2 thermo generators up and running.

But it began to even out as countries left the XCOM project. At the moment I have Africa and South America locked down with only 2 countries in Europe. Rest are gone. This gives me an estimated income of 250-300 funbucks after expensives deducted. With EXALT draining my money, I still hit -200 to -300 once in a while which really hurts even if I can take an abduction mission to get money.

However, here's the kicker: by intercepting abductor UFOs and getting them to land, I get to raid the UFO but I won't get any substantial amount of money since I need to parts to tech or build stuff. So it becomes a choice between available funds and possible salvage for future missions.

I find these changes overall better for the enjoyment of LW. I really like the different classes, abilities, Mecs, gear and different enemy composition. I also like the air combat, but it was very unforgiving with the original settings. With these new settings, I can at least feel challenged tactically and strategically without feeling like I am banging my head against the wall (air specifically).

I may have to do that. Looking at the research equivalent cost for a lot of things and the prices are just mind boggling for the upgrades that can get me where I need to be. Advanced Surgery costs 1080 cash equivalent (if you sold the required items on the grey market). Wingtip sparrowhawks have 700 credits worth of sell cost on top of the raw cash cost of actually doing it(1200 cash equivalent). I can't see how any of these things are anything but lategame luxuries, especially considering those things are usually things that I tend to value more than their grey market sell anyway.

I mean they say the game is hard, but i've got the enemy at 6, maybe 7 bases by the end of the third month with basically nothing I can do about it... on Normal... without losing ground missions... with getting good luck on taking down landed UFO's (including an abductor and a transport!)... with doing well on terror missions...

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    scherbchen wrote: »
    2) well they are not really invisible. they start uncloaked and upon discovery 2-3 of that 4-pack go to stealth. now the stealthed ones go straight for you, only slower than the one(s) that go berserk.

plop down a BS between where you activeated them from and where they activated them and you should be able to see all Seekers. Sometimes you miss the one Seeker who thinks he is sooooo clever. but at this point you should be able to lock down one with suppression, kill at least one and then you go from there.

Sucks balls with ballistic weapons but lasers ought to do it.

1) beeline Lasers and then Advanced Lasers. Dunno if I am stating the obvious here but Laser Cannons on your interceptors make the hugest of differences.

3) yeah, fuck cyberdisks. seriously.

Suppression doesn't work. They move which breaks the suppression (and they don't die because you're shooting with a 70% aim penalty into low cover)

I guess my problem was not beelining for advanced lasers.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    A sectopod, a million heavy floaters and a bunch of chryssalids thrown in, all in a small double story building. Yay.

Just positively stuffed full of fun times!

edit: Game crashed and I ended up back at the hq.
    Now I'm in a supermarket.

Pity? We shall see.

Morninglord on
  • Options
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Speaking of which, I'm got my first LW terror mission coming up. Its nearly the end of April and I've only lost three dudes so far so I'm doing pretty well, but my very best guys just got back from an abduction so I'm sending the B team. However, I did bring two assaults with close combat specialist, which I'm hoping will make the difference between victory, and zombie apocalypse. Last time I reached this point in long war, it didn't go so well.

• Options
    skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I rely heavily on SHIVs, infantry, and rocketeers for terror missions. You just want a hail of fire that will kill anything that approaches. I use the SHIVs to activate packs and shoot at them as they retreat back to my big guns. Then infantry just fires their entire turns. Rocketeers handle any cyberdiscs or massed groups.

Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
  • Options
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    Speaking of which, I'm got my first LW terror mission coming up. Its nearly the end of April and I've only lost three dudes so far so I'm doing pretty well, but my very best guys just got back from an abduction so I'm sending the B team. However, I did bring two assaults with close combat specialist, which I'm hoping will make the difference between victory, and zombie apocalypse. Last time I reached this point in long war, it didn't go so well.

Remember that you can give shotguns to Infantry, Medics, and Engineers

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Nix 2
    Ethereals 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vu-9Xyv4XGk&feature=youtu.be

edit: Oh yeah, also, I beat it.

Feel like I accomplished something here.

Feels good.

Now if only I could get OpenXcom to stop crashing. I'll see if I can get it working the next few days.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    skyknyt wrote: »
    I rely heavily on SHIVs, infantry, and rocketeers for terror missions. You just want a hail of fire that will kill anything that approaches. I use the SHIVs to activate packs and shoot at them as they retreat back to my big guns. Then infantry just fires their entire turns. Rocketeers handle any cyberdiscs or massed groups.

Oh yeah, my team is 2x Close Combat assaults, 2x Infantry, 1 Rocketeer and a Medic. Totally specced for anti-Chrysalid warfare. I might switch out the medic for a shotgun scout, actually. I have way too many scouts. Thankfully with Long War they can also double as assaults or snipers.

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Here's hoping that someone here can help me with this (next stop - the 2K support forums): is XCOM unplayably buggy on the iPad or am I doing something wrong? I'm still pretty early in the game but after shooting down my first UFO I'm supposed to send soldiers to the crash site. When I edit the soldiers' loadouts or promote them, though, I don't seem to have any menu options to go out of the individual soldier view. I'm stuck looking at my soldier, with no apparent buttons to return to the overview. Any ideas or tips?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    It's amazing how many people blame Long War for things that Enemy Within actually added. For example, aliens going on overwatch is a feature of Enemy Within and designed to make certain enemies like cyber discs and similar, that don't need cover, more threatening. Long War just removes all of the AI shackling on every difficulty, so usually the AI can do whatever it wants so it will tend to overwatch more (which I think makes it easier).

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Well I did it. I had to save-scum, but can you really blame me when a single move revealed this?

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/54358977651990635/27D9F377818389BAC9EEE76EFE91AA6891C7ADFA/

I also had group of floaters spawn outside of the map. These guys actually spawned under the freaking bridge.

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/54358977652000407/35A7E275C19D631FB195AA3B4C06050A477F5570/

Otherwise the mission was a success, more thanks to the infantry (who I'd forgotten both had executioner) than the assaults as it was mostly floaters in the end.

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    In C/I Marathon I had a UFO raid where three Mechtoids, three Sectoid Commanders, and three Sectoids all triggered on the same turn. There was some hilarious psychic circle-jerk between them until everybody but one Mechtoid and one Sectoid was psionically linked up somehow. It did not look good, at least not until a rocket and a flamethrower spray ended two commanders, two sectoids, and one of the Mechtoids.

That proved more manageable and I finished the mission with no fatalities.

• Options
    Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    It's amazing how many people blame Long War for things that Enemy Within actually added. For example, aliens going on overwatch is a feature of Enemy Within and designed to make certain enemies like cyber discs and similar, that don't need cover, more threatening. Long War just removes all of the AI shackling on every difficulty, so usually the AI can do whatever it wants so it will tend to overwatch more (which I think makes it easier).

That's only the discs though. Sectoids, floaters and thin men (if they're not single orbital drop) won't overwatch on discovery, so if that happens in LW it's new.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Vic_Hazard wrote: »

That's only the discs though. Sectoids, floaters and thin men (if they're not single orbital drop) won't overwatch on discovery, so if that happens in LW it's new.

Mechtoids and Sectopods also overwatch on discovery.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    I think I've seen a floater do it, too.

• Options
    Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
    Vic_Hazard wrote: »

Mechtoids and Sectopods also overwatch on discovery.

Oh you're right, sorry. I wasn't really thinking about the end game stuff because then it matters a lot less. I don't play LW but if the early game enemies overwatch on discovery it would change a lot.

I don't think I've ever seen a floater overwatch on discovery, they do love to overwatch in general though and if it's a group of 3 one of them will most likely fly into the air and overwatch.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Any alien can OW on discovery. It's just higher for cyberdiscs and so on.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    Wow - we got to 100 again? It's like we're all playing on Ironman Posting Marathon.

NEW THREAD

For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain