As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Growing [Surveillance State]

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    I am not sure it's not and congress can always change authority of they so wish. Do you think the EFF would be silent if this were a bill? Their wording does not suggest they would. That they're against the change because they think the change is bad and not because they are concerened with how it's going about

wbBv3fj.png
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Well, this is an absolutely fucking creepy use of geofencing:
    Last year, an enterprising advertising executive based in Boston, Massachusetts, had an idea: Instead of using his sophisticated mobile surveillance techniques to figure out which consumers might be interested in buying shoes, cars, or any of the other products typically advertised online, what if he used the same technology to figure out which women were potentially contemplating abortion, and send them ads on behalf of anti-choice organizations?

The executive—John Flynn, CEO of Copley Advertising—set to work. He put together PowerPoint presentations touting his capabilities, and sent them to groups he thought would be interested in reaching “abortion-minded women,” to use anti-choice parlance.

Before long, he’d been hired by RealOptions, a network of crisis pregnancy centers (CPCs) in Northern California, as well as by the evangelical adoption agency Bethany Christian Services.

Flynn’s endeavors quickly won him attention in the anti-choice world. He was invited to speak at the Family Research Council’s ProLifeCon Digital Action Summit in January this year, and he got a few write-ups in anti-choice press.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    I'm happier every day that I don't own a smartphone. How are they getting the women's cell phone numbers?

I'm happier every day that I don't own a smartphone. How are they getting the women's cell phone numbers?

https://youtu.be/VsxDfVAjcJw

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Simple solution, just turn location services off for nearly everything

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Simpler still, don't have a cell phone.
    Both are approximately equally practical in today's society.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I only allow location services for a couple apps that need it to be usable. I have no trouble operating without it available for the vast majority of other apps. I certainly don't consider it akin to not having a cell phone at all.

Phyphor wrote: »

You do realize this is the techie version of "well, you shouldn't go through the park at night"? It's getting tiresome that the answer to misconduct with data is "everyone should change how they live their lives", and not actually dealing with the bad actors.

You do realize this is the techie version of "well, you shouldn't go through the park at night"? It's getting tiresome that the answer to misconduct with data is "everyone should change how they live their lives", and not actually dealing with the bad actors.

Advertisers gonna advertise

And your point? We just throw our hands in the air and just don't care?

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular

And your point? We just throw our hands in the air and just don't care?

We had our chance to reject sites that were doing this sort of tracking back when Facebook and Google first started taking it to new levels and we did nothing. Now we're just kinda stuck with it until some sort of legislation on the matter (which is far over due) is passed.

Unfortunately the privacy advocates that push for it are still grouped in with conspiracy theorists in terms of credibility.

• tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular

"Don't explicitly click agree to this activity in the app settings and ToS you don't read" bears no resemblance to the "park at night" line of thinking.

And you're "everyone should change how they live" completely misses the point. People are changing how they live, that's what is causing this. The first iPhone is not yet 9 years old.

People are now carrying these things around with them all the time. They want them to have instantaneous responses, and prescient accuracy, and they want it for free. The record of 'enhanced privacy' pay for services is littered with companies that failed to grow, because when it comes down to the choice of giving up information about yourself, or shelling out $1 a month, the vast majority of the people choose to save the dollar.

In most cases they choose the convenience of 'don't have to go to the menu to enable location services when I want to navigate to somewhere' over the privacy.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited June 2016

"Don't explicitly click agree to this activity in the app settings and ToS you don't read" bears no resemblance to the "park at night" line of thinking.

And you're "everyone should change how they live" completely misses the point. People are changing how they live, that's what is causing this. The first iPhone is not yet 9 years old.

People are now carrying these things around with them all the time. They want them to have instantaneous responses, and prescient accuracy, and they want it for free. The record of 'enhanced privacy' pay for services is littered with companies that failed to grow, because when it comes down to the choice of giving up information about yourself, or shelling out $1 a month, the vast majority of the people choose to save the dollar.

In most cases they choose the convenience of 'don't have to go to the menu to enable location services when I want to navigate to somewhere' over the privacy.

Firstly, the shit you have to agree to to make an app work on your phone is ridiculous. Why is my location necessary for an app that identifies song names? Why is the ability to make calls with my phone required for the Facebook app? Who knows?! The mobile app market is still quite immature, and mobile OS security and privacy are utter and total shit. Let's not pretend that most of us - who I would assume to be more technologically savvy than average - haven't agreed to let apps on our phones have access to stupid shit for no good reason. We have, as a society, engineered a class of product that is intentionally very easy to use, very difficult to understand, even more difficult to manipulate in fine detail, and contains a shitload of sensitive and private content, then aimed it full-bore at youths and teenagers.

Secondly, I don't think people are (currently) capable of making informed decisions of this nature. I don't think pregnant teenaged girls have the knowledge that would be required to draw a line of possible causation between their enabling location services on their phone to the possibility that they may subsequent receive anti-abortion ads. Asking, "Why don't they just turn off location services?" is a silly question, because it presumes that there's already an answer to, "Why would they turn off location services?"

Edit: I actually just learned this week that members of my family just walk around with their smartphone wifis enabled, auto-connecting to whatever wifi networks they happen to walk through, and it was a facepalm moment thinking, "Did nobody tell you that was a bad idea? Was I supposed to tell you that's a bad idea? Who was supposed to tell me that I was supposed to tell you that that's a bad idea?!"

hippofant on
  • NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    One problem with the permissions apps ask is, atleast for me, that i have no way of knowing why these permissions are needed.
    Are they needed for the app to function?
    Tacked on just because?
    Security measure?
    Spy/Adware?
    No fucking clue.

Nyysjan on
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Well, this is an absolutely fucking creepy use of geofencing:
    Last year, an enterprising advertising executive based in Boston, Massachusetts, had an idea: Instead of using his sophisticated mobile surveillance techniques to figure out which consumers might be interested in buying shoes, cars, or any of the other products typically advertised online, what if he used the same technology to figure out which women were potentially contemplating abortion, and send them ads on behalf of anti-choice organizations?

The executive—John Flynn, CEO of Copley Advertising—set to work. He put together PowerPoint presentations touting his capabilities, and sent them to groups he thought would be interested in reaching “abortion-minded women,” to use anti-choice parlance.

Before long, he’d been hired by RealOptions, a network of crisis pregnancy centers (CPCs) in Northern California, as well as by the evangelical adoption agency Bethany Christian Services.

Flynn’s endeavors quickly won him attention in the anti-choice world. He was invited to speak at the Family Research Council’s ProLifeCon Digital Action Summit in January this year, and he got a few write-ups in anti-choice press.

I think Geofencing in and of itself is creepy as fuck.

Especially since every smart phone has a unique identifier so you can be tracked. Its digital stalking that the vast majority of users aren't even aware of and don't know how to turn it off because this disgusting shit is enabled by default.

• programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular

This is an inadequate response. People neither have the time to read ToS's to search for abusive practices, nor the expertise to interpret them, just like consumers don't have time to do a bacterial culture on every side of beef they buy. ToS's should be mandated by law to be reasonable so people can actually live their lives instead of being ubiquitously spied on by uncaring and exploitative corporations. Especially as we've seen now, it is a medical privacy issue.

• ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited May 2016

This is an inadequate response. People neither have the time to read ToS's to search for abusive practices, nor the expertise to interpret them, just like consumers don't have time to do a bacterial culture on every side of beef they buy. ToS's should be mandated by law to be reasonable so people can actually live their lives instead of being ubiquitously spied on by uncaring and exploitative corporations. Especially as we've seen now, it is a medical privacy issue.

ToS's, in my experience, are endeavors in legalese to confuse and obfuscate information from the lay person.

Buttcleft on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »
    Firstly, the shit you have to agree to to make an app work on your phone is ridiculous. Why is my location necessary for an app that identifies song names? Why is the ability to make calls with my phone required for the Facebook app? Who knows?! The mobile app market is still quite immature, and mobile OS security and privacy are utterly and total shit. Let's not pretend that most of us - who I would assume to be more technologically savvy than average - have agreed to let apps on our phones have access to stupid shit for no good reason. We have, as a society, engineered a class of product that is intentionally very easy to use, very difficult to understand, even more difficult to manipulate in fine detail, and contains a shitload of sensitive and private content, then aimed it full-bore at youths and teenagers.

Cyanogenmod has the only sensible version of this with privacy guard - you can install whatever, but leave the things it asked for disabled anyway. The elaborate version would be to have "lie to me mode" where it actively gives the app false data.

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »

ToS's, in my experience, are endeavors in legalese to confuse and obfuscate information from the lay person.

Yeah. EULAs and ToSs are dubious consent given how dense and long they are, and how semi corcered they can be (click agree or your purchase is now useless. We can alter the contract at any time)

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Firstly, the shit you have to agree to to make an app work on your phone is ridiculous. Why is my location necessary for an app that identifies song names? Why is the ability to make calls with my phone required for the Facebook app? Who knows?! The mobile app market is still quite immature, and mobile OS security and privacy are utterly and total shit. Let's not pretend that most of us - who I would assume to be more technologically savvy than average - have agreed to let apps on our phones have access to stupid shit for no good reason. We have, as a society, engineered a class of product that is intentionally very easy to use, very difficult to understand, even more difficult to manipulate in fine detail, and contains a shitload of sensitive and private content, then aimed it full-bore at youths and teenagers.

Cyanogenmod has the only sensible version of this with privacy guard - you can install whatever, but leave the things it asked for disabled anyway. The elaborate version would be to have "lie to me mode" where it actively gives the app false data.

This is built into android marshmallow

at least on my un-tampered-with nexus build

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    Aioua wrote: »

Sort of. It is for apps built for M or higher. Older apps still do the giant permissions list on install, but I think you can revoke them individually and the app just might stop working

• SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    Lmao, if you don't hand build all of the apps on your phone.

Also the OS the apps run on.

Also the phone itself.

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »

Sort of. It is for apps built for M or higher. Older apps still do the giant permissions list on install, but I think you can revoke them individually and the app just might stop working

Yeah, though so far I haven't seen one crash out unless you did something silly like revoking access to the filesystem.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular

In addition to the other reasons why this isn't a good solution: this doesn't properly dissuade the behavior. You should block ads from loading (all of them, as much as you can), because fucking with their cash is the only language the companies understand.

Daedalus wrote: »

In addition to the other reasons why this isn't a good solution: this doesn't properly dissuade the behavior. You should block ads from loading (all of them, as much as you can), because fucking with their cash is the only language the companies understand.

Well sure, but that's significantly harder to do on mobile

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

And why do you think that is, and what consequences do you think that's going to have, going forward?

And why do you think that is, and what consequences do you think that's going to have, going forward?

Don't care and don't care

The reasons why can range from simple technical difficulty in implementing browser extension/addon support to a desire to lock down the browser - a malicious ad blocker (or other rewriting extension) is worse than any number of ads, they can see and rewrite everything you do on every site after all

edited June 2016
    Startup develops system to allow landlords to monitor tenant social media activity to determine tenant riskiness:
    Its first product, Tenant Assured, is already live: After your would-be landlord sends you a request through the service, you’re required to grant it full access to your Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter and/or Instagram profiles. From there, Tenant Assured scrapes your site activity, including entire conversation threads and private messages; runs it through natural language processing and other analytic software; and finally, spits out a report that catalogues everything from your personality to your “financial stress level.”

My personal tenant report includes a list of my closest friends and interests, a percentage breakdown of my personality traits, a list of every time I’ve tweeted the words “loan” and “pregnant,” and the algorithm’s confidence that I’ll pay my rent consistently.

“If you’re living a normal life,” Thornhill reassures me, “then, frankly, you have nothing to worry about.”

Wow.
    It’s not just the amount or detail of data that’s problematic, either. Tenant Assured reports include information such as whether you’ve mentioned a pregnancy and how old you are, which are both protected statuses under U.S. housing discrimination law. (“All we can do is give them the information,” Thornhill said. “It’s up to landlords to do the right thing.”)

No, goose. You shouldn't be providing analysis on legally protected criteria.

It's like Big Data reacts to "minimum necessary" like a vampire reacts to sunlight.

AngelHedgie on
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    So they ask you to do this then you sue them for discrimination?

wbBv3fj.png
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    “If you’re living a normal life,” Thornhill reassures me, “then, frankly, you have nothing to worry about.”

That offends me more than anything and I wouldn't be surprised if the startup is very right-leaning. Normal life? Fuck you.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    Drez wrote: »

That offends me more than anything and I wouldn't be surprised if the startup is very right-leaning. Normal life? Fuck you.

Why do we always have to add politics to literally everything here? Can't we just call a super shitty thing shitty?

LostNinja wrote: »

Why do we always have to add politics to literally everything here? Can't we just call a super shitty thing shitty?

Not all of us have the privilege luxury of living unpoliticized lives. I think there'd be a lot of pregnant women happy to have politics and politicians stop butting their ways into their lives.

Not all of us have the privilege luxury of living unpoliticized lives. I think there'd be a lot of pregnant women happy to have politics and politicians stop butting their ways into their lives.

That wasn't even what I said. I called this whole thing shitty. It's intrusive and shouldn't be legal.

All that has nothing to do with being tired of every single thread going directly to "lol republicans". Rather than actually discussing the (non-partisan) issue that was brought up.

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular

That wasn't even what I said. I called this whole thing shitty. It's intrusive and shouldn't be legal.

All that has nothing to do with being tired of every single thread going directly to "lol republicans". Rather than actually discussing the (non-partisan) issue that was brought up.

Yeah them brits and their dystopian wanting selves.

• FrankiedarlingFrankiedarling Registered User regular
    Politicizing everything is great. Always comforting to know there's one group of people who are to blame for everything!

• Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    Ten bucks says that religion's in the results as well, along with hetero/homosexuality. You live in Portland and your landlord doesn't like that you go to a conservative Baptist church? Denied. You live in Omaha and you're gay? Denied.

Every startup these days seems like its only business strategy is completely ignoring the law in the name of "disruption" and then bitching heavily when the Feds step in.

You asked why it was political. And the answer is because housing has always been political. From redlining to white flight to homosexual discrimination to landlords who select against male tenants, pregnant tenants, tenants with dogs, tenants of colour, etc, etc. Anybody who says, "If you live a normal life, you have nothing to worry about," is blatantly pretending that housing is apolitical when it's never been that.

If you're asking why, "lol republicans," well... because of the justification that was given. If the person were a(n ignorant) left-winger, they'd give a different justification.

• NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Politicizing everything is great. Always comforting to know there's one group of people who are to blame for everything!
    Mine is the people who listen to audiobooks while not visually impaired or otherwise disabled.

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016

Who said anything about republicans? Hate and -isms are not things exclusive to the political right. There is nothing in the previous posts that say anything about partisan politics, just a general and we'll deserved "fuck that guy" over a comment that disparages a wide variety of people that are wholly undeserving of being disparaged.

So, why did you bring up partisan politics?

Veevee on
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Dude it was the post he directly replied to.

In terms of the actual software. It is a step forward from prior usage. But have you guys not rented in awhile? One place wanted a credit report and background check done when last I was looking. And references. Now while "technically" not the same it results in largely the same aggregated data if they ask the questions they want to.

Jubal77 on