As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Steven Universe] 1. THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU WANT TO SAY 2. SAY IT

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Man I really wish more people watched this show and posted in this thread. :(

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    This thread always seems more active when story episodes go down

There's just not a whole ton to talk about during the dead zone between when the episode's worn out its discussion, and the next episode's previews go up.

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    lion 3: straight to Video has 2 important truths.

1 Dog Copter is the wisest being ever.
    2 Rose Quartz left a vhs for Steven and She is also amazing

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    that lion is crazy

though at least we know where that sword came from now

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Google fucked up and I was not aware we'd had new episodes .So damn annoyed . Ill catch up tomorrow and post some thoughts

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    edited December 2014
    my advice is if you are on good terms with your parents, give them a call. this episode hand more feels than the episode with Greg Universe with his broken leg.

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    I took a nap and slept through the episode by mistake. I'll catch it on Amazon later. :c

• KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    SO GOOD

Oh my God

I'm in tears, you guys.

This fucking episode.

• BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    Man. This episode. How can they do that to my heart?

PSN: BillyIdle_
    Well now Im crying . Thanks cartoons.
    Some stuff

Pearl you uh. You need some help.

Its odd he couldnt breath there what with the wind but I guess that could be lion exhaling.

I am now convinced Lion can talk but just doesnt want to

What secrets does that treasure chest hold?!?

This is pretty much the perfect first appearance for Rose. We got to see who she really was not how shes been described by others.

Dogcopter was Rose talking to Steven right? It seemed a bit deep for his subconcious

• KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    btw who was dogcopters voice

Was anyone else reminded of this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn-uxaIZVXI

I think she just needs a hobby.

• TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    I love how Lion acts exactly like a big dog or cat (depending on the scene), especially how he communicates through focused staring and head-nuzzles. Reminds me of my little pup. I'm just glad he's not the size of a Mini Cooper like Lion.

• GoldenSeducerGoldenSeducer AAAAAUGH!! Registered User regular
    I almost never say this about anything, but this episode really hits a person right in the feels.

This doubly goes for anyone who happens to be pregnant. I'm a little misty now.

Goatmon wrote: »

I think she just needs a hobby.

She had a hobby. That was the problem

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Did anyone else notice Steven was shown to have a straight up Game Cube in this episode? Purple and everything. With a perfectly drawn controller

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Aww this episode was sweet.

Bucketman wrote: »
    Did anyone else notice Steven was shown to have a straight up Game Cube in this episode? Purple and everything. With a perfectly drawn controller

He has an N64 as well.

Not as well drawn though

• TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Yeah, usually a console will have some artistic license taken in terms of its design when it's portrayed in a show like this but that Gamecube was very precisely drawn. The artist must have some fond memories of that system.

game cube had the best water physics hands down for that era of consoles.
    xbox just looked like transparent glass and ps2 looked like viscous mercury, both with no splash or globs

and there were some good games on it, though my memory escapes me for anything other than mario sunshine

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I mean, fuck, Steven Universe has gotten me choked up plenty of times before but this episode just got me full on sobbing

what a good show

• BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    and i need you to know that every moment you love being yourself, it's me, loving you,
    and if you happen to think you'd really wanna be a giant woman, well,

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
    edited December 2014
    Also, another thing that I was reminded of
    "Steven,we can't both exist. I'm going to become half of you."

Hmmmm

Cxc69tu.jpgp

This won't make sense to anyone that doesn't read Gunnerkrigg Court, fyi.

Goatmon on

• aStoryAboutYouaStoryAboutYou Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Was anyone else reminded of this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn-uxaIZVXI

You're a cruel and beautiful person. Yes, to both references you made, and yes, this episode was a very special one.

Also I'm such a fan of when the gems show how truly alien they are, so Pearl's bit absolutely clicked for me at least.

oWv6S12.gif
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I wasn't that weirded out by Pearl doing that

I mean

Steven is "born" or whatever, and Greg, who at the best of times is not a very responsible dude, is trying to deal with the loss of his wife on top of this new kid

the gems offer to raise the child instead but they're basically magical space golems, they have no idea how tiny humans work

so Pearl, always the worrywart, decides to watch over him while he sleeps to make sure he doesn't need anything at night or doesn't choke on a blanket or something

and

it's been like ten years

and no one told her to stop

so

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    I always assumed the Gems forced their way into possessing Steven. Basically his dad who likely didn't know his wife was going to die to give birth to Steven and was consumed by grief and so when the Gems demanded they hand over Steven around that time he agreed to it without thinking about what it really meant. Now he fully understands what he did but he knows the Gems are too powerful to fuck with so he plays their game so he can continue to see his son.

• SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    I think that's a much darker interpretation
    Too dark

8EVmPzM.jpg
    I think after Rose died greg kinda gave up on life but the gems dont like prohibit him from seeing Steven or anything. Theres no game he just realizes the temple is a better home for Steven right now

• SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    Yeah it's like Steven could live in a temple with 3 magical space ladies to watch him or live in a van.
    Like ideally Greg could get his shit together and provide a home for his son himself. But he doesn't seem interested in that.

8EVmPzM.jpg
    edited December 2014
    I like to imagine there was a mutual understanding that, being part gem, Steven would have magical abilities that Greg would have no idea how to help him with, and it'd just be for the best that they be his caretakers so that they can make sure he grows into his powers and doesn't accidentally cause problems for Greg.

Also, Greg lives out of his van, which is really not a great living situation for a child.

Goatmon on

Pearl clearly is pretty bored and not really challenged most days.

Like, every time there's something big that needs doing, especially mechanical stuff, she's all I'VE GOT IT.

Fixing up Greg's van after Ocean Gem, or putting together a rocket ship, etc. were both opportunities to actually have a project.

edited December 2014
    So, I was watching this cover of Giant Woman a friend of mine did on YouTube, and I noticed something.

Does anyone else think that there's a Nimona reference here, at 26 seconds?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2w3e0rA500

Goatmon on

• ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    So I have been playing Wind Waker HD and noticed something pretty neat! We know the creator of Steven Universe is a fan of video games and, in particular, Nintendo. In a couple of episodes we have seen old Nintendo consoles including a Gamecube so it is not too farfetched to think that Rebecca Sugar is also a fan of the aforementioned Zelda game.

Magtail.png

Look familiar? No that isn't a fan art of the centipede from Steven Universe, it's actually a monster found on Dragon Roost Island in Wind Waker. It's pretty neat how similar in design they are which leads me to believe it was little things like this that helped influence Rebecca's designs in the show.

....or I am overthinking this.

We're getting a new episode this week!

And next week!

And the two weeks after that!

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

• tsplittertsplitter Registered User regular
    Guys there was a new episode tonight and I liked it

FqmsaJ6.png
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    tsplitter wrote: »
    Guys there was a new episode tonight and I liked it

shit got real

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    hands up anybody else who reads Cucumber Quest and had a moment of "wha... huh?" when they said "Peridot" with an audible "t"

I assume Peridot the stone is pronounced that way hence why the character in CQ is always correcting people.

This discussion has been closed.