As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WOW] I guess there's an Expansion coming out this year ? Maybe ?

1939495969799»

• DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    How are they going to get rid of Haste breakpoints? Are they just removing the bit about the spell lasting the same amount of time and just getting more ticks? I.e. "Rejuve ticks 8 times, no matter how long between each tick"?

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    What's going to happen is that haste still gives more ticks, but until you have enough haste to get a full tick you get a smaller tick based on your haste. So for example you might have 8 ticks of Rejuv, and then enough haste for a little 20% tick of Rejuv.

liEt3nH.png
    Ahhh... I suppose that would work.

Though you'd still get breakpoints for tanks, because people aren't going to let Rejuv fall off just so that they get their last 25% tick, they'll recast before it dies so there isn't a period of less HoT.

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
  • LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    You should be refreshing before the last tick anyway. IIRC, it gets rolled into the next one.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    You should be refreshing before the last tick anyway. IIRC, it gets rolled into the next one.

Yeah, but the 40% more tick at the end won't be, I'm betting, which means you still have breakpoints.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    there will still be ideal breakpoints but the difference between being right at a breakpoint and being a tiny bit below it will not be the gulf that it is now. Likewise, haste will maintain its value relative to other stats much more consistently, rather than having a relatively small small scale factor that spikes at specific amounts

being right at a breakpoint might still wind up being important for maximizing rejuv healing, but it won't be as big a deal for (say) wild growth. And in practice you aren't always refreshing your rejuvs the instant they fall off of things anyway aside from the tank, so making sure that you're not 'wasting' the extra partial tick when you refresh ST hots probably isn't a big deal.

there will still be ideal stats for whatever circumstances and people will still spend pages of forum posts talking about it; they're just removing the tedium of reforging all the time and reducing the 'penalty' for having stats that are slightly less than ideal.

ed: I will say that I'm not really sure why they're getting rid of reforging, considering the new mechanics. With hit gone and breakpoints mostly gone, the annoyance of reforging would largely go away

ed2: also we don't really know how the extra-partial-tick mechanic will work yet; possibly refreshing stuff like rejuv will just add X seconds to the duration same as now, and push the 'partial' tick to the end again.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    Yeah, I have no idea why they're getting rid of reforging.

They must have the utmost confidence in their ability to do something they have never done: make all stats equally worthwhile to all specs (or at least to all specs that will be wearing a given armor type)

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »
    Yeah, I have no idea why they're getting rid of reforging.

Because it's not fun.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    all stats don't have to be equally worthwhile to all specs

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    *gasp*

• MillMill Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure hit and expertise were the main reasons for reforging existing in the first place (maybe to a lesser extent dodge and parry, I do recall having to try to keep those equal for my pally tanking set). Once you get either one of those stats capped, anything beyond the cap is wasted itemization, reforging helped a little with that since with enough effort, one could go from a hefty bit of wasted itemization to a teeny or non-existent amount of wasted itemization.

The reforging game was not fun and eliminated reforging feeling like a bonus. Also even with hit and expertise gone, it would still be considered required since there will still be a stat hierarchy (they never said they'd make all stats equal dps gains, which isn't realistic given the number of specs and, if it were possible, doing so would make gearing far less interesting. Just that there won't be a huge gulf between best secondary and worst). So there would still be cases where one would be told to either reforge any piece of gear that doesn't have both their spec's top two stats.

Plus, Blizz seems to be admitting overall that it's really fucking annoying that one can't usually equip an upgrade until they gem it, reforge it and enchant it. They already stated their will be less gear with gem socket, meta gems are going away and that they will be making it so that less gear needs in enchants. I rather look forward to the fact that it'll be feasible to immediately equip a new upgrade and take on the next boss, without having to see what has to be done to make the gear an actually upgrade.

• KeemossiKeemossi Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    I'm dreading how awful it will be without reforging. Oh, an item with a good stat and totally dead crap stat.. burn points on it or just wait for a drop with two actually useful stats.

Also if, say, I roll with crit on brewmaster, then start meeting bosses that hit really hard. Time to replace a lot of pieces so I can get mastery, since you know, I can't just gem/reforge more mastery.

(nvm there's the new thread, forgot)

Keemossi on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    Ele Shaman are fine right now, if a bit boring to play. Enh is the one that's clunky as all fuck. Especially their AoE, it's so dumb. You need to flame shock, spread it with lash and then fire nova, and they all have different cooldowns. It's stupid, and this is coming from a Fire Mage whose AoE involves casting Flamestrike and crying.

Well the setup is one thing. Flameshock, it lasts for 30 seconds. Lava Lash, things will get that Flame Shock. Those two abilities are done for the next 30 seconds-ish.

The problem is you have to hit Fire Nova every 4 seconds.

• CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Yeah, without reforging I am looking forward to certain class/specs having absolutely horrible secondary statistic itemization again.

Caedwyr on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Speaking of Flame Shock I've decided I like its glyph way more than glyph of Lightning Shield. Why didn't I have this before? Survivability is waaaaay up.

This discussion has been closed.