As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MAHVEL] at the new MCU thread, this one's done!

Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast,be kindRegistered User regular
It's time for Loki's annual pounding at the hands of Earth's mightiest heroes but they're mostly otherwise engaged this time, and Loki's in prison I guess.

GingerHazeAvengers2.jpg

This a thread for talk of all things Marvel but mainly Thor 2 and the upcoming Winter Soldier and Guardians Of The Galaxy movie things. Spoiler Policy is to wrap up the new (Agents of Shield and Thor 2) stuff and mark it accordingly, like so;

Thor 2 Spoiler
woah so is Odin dead or what!?

Iron Man 3 and earlier is fair game.

So Thor 2 is great!

And Marvel reacquired Daredevil (pfff) and the Punisher (yesssss) and I am hoping for an awkward buddy cop spinoff TV show or something.

Oh brilliant
Dark Raven X on

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Thor was a very boring movie that was watchable because of Kat Dennings. Thor 2 does look pretty good, though. Excited for Cap'n Merica sequel, too!

I liked the Thomas Jane Punisher movie, thought it was ok. War Journal was bad, but like the B movie kind of bad that's actually good. Sill need to see Iron Man 3.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Thor was a very boring movie that was watchable because of Kat Dennings. Thor 2 does look pretty good, though. Excited for Cap'n Merica sequel, too!

I liked the Thomas Jane Punisher movie, thought it was ok. War Journal was bad, but like the B movie kind of bad that's actually good. Sill need to see Iron Man 3.

Thor was odd, because it seemed to be a wierd mishmash where the writers didn't seem to know what story they wanted to tell with thor. Which is almost always a detriment to the pacing, character development and clarity of the movie but for whatever reason I found that it really worked.

With what looks like a much more coherent plot then it's predecessor I expect great things from Thor 2.

Cap 2 I haven't seen as much for and while I can't say I'm terribly excited about the winter soldier the trailer has teased that Cap is questioning the role of shield and whether he wants to be part of it and that goes back into what I love most about the character: he doesn't care who you are, he won't jeopardize his ideals.

Guardians of the galaxy is the movie that excites me the most. It would have been super easy to make it an extremely serious movie with seriously grim overtones, but the writers have seemingly captured the essence of what makes the Guardians so great; a random assortment of modernized silver/bronze age characters who have taken it upon themselves to confront the greatest threats in the universe. In doing so, they've noted (though not emphasized) the inherent absurdity of the team.

I'm deeply curious as to what IP's marvel is going to try and bring forward next.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    I think Doctor Strange is the next up on the list. Along with Edgar Wright finally doing Ant-Man.

Doctor Strange is part of the push to expand the MCU into the magical superheros, just like GoG is their attempt to make Cosmic Marvel a thing in the MCU.

To be honest, that's just rumors I have heard on the net.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    So there's reports around that Ben Kingsley will return in a Marvel One shot as the real Mandarin, pissed off at Killian and Trevor Slattery for knocking off his schtick for publicity.

In a way, it undermines the message they tried to deliver in Iron Man 3. On the other hand, Ben Kingsley was fucking fantastic as the Mandarin and I really want the character back.

Also, there was a short film Thomas Jane did they showed at (I think) comic con where he reprised the role of Frank Castle and it was really badass. Marvel need to get on another movie.

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    I just finished reading the Punisher: On Trial (technically-The Trial of the Punisher, but I like my title better) comics and wouldn't mind seeing Jane (or someone else) do a new Punisher flick.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Not part of the MCU, but since Noelle Stevenson's work has already graced this thread:

manlytear.png

Love this picture. And all but the last ten minutes of the movie that came with it.

Meanwhile, I have not seen Thor 2 yet, on account of getting to see it for free with my Work if I wait a week or two. Patience is a virtue.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

To me, the problem with the Thor film was that the in-story timeline was condensed. They didn't have the balls to exile Thor, and then jump forward in time to where he's a doctor and stumbles upon his own hammer and then WOO HERO TIME. It ended up being alright at best.

It's still leagues ahead of The Incredible Hulk though. What a shit show that was.

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Thor 2 basically solves all my issues with the first one, was pretty damn enjoyable.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    My brother was explaining the premise of the new Xmen movie to me... it sounds really dumb. Like even for comic book stuff, which you can expect some silliness from. I'm sure I'll still see, but man...

He lost me at "Professor X time travels Logan's mind to his body from the past"

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I'm most familiar with the storyline from the old cartoon, and it was a more straightforward method of getting the future guys involved with Bishop, a time traveler, being the one to come back. I think it's Kitty Pryde in the original comic book version. It's weird they're using Wolverine though, since Bishop is already shown in the trailer. Either way, I'm looking forward to it, cause it was my favourite part of the cartoon, and as a sequel to First Class it's gonna be promising either way. ;D

Anyway, Thor 2 talk;
    The only weak link for me was Malekith. He didn't have enough development or even enough screen time to feel like a threat imo. Guess that was sortof the point - he wasn't a warrior, even Thor's mom bested him, but still. Even when full of Aether his big epic battle is more comedy than grave danger. His one singular winning moment was when he threw the black hole grenade at Odin's throne. For the rest of the movie though? May as well have had some no name guy for all the acting Ecclestone got to do.

I did enjoy how much screentime everyone else got though - especially Heimdall. They really humanized him this time around, and it was great stuff. That bit where he took down one of the Elf ships and then oh shit there's a lot more...

Also loved how expanded Asgard was this time around. Felt like a world, or at least a city compared to Thor 1's Asgard being the bifrost, throne room and maybe a couple of hallways.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    So there's reports around that Ben Kingsley will return in a Marvel One shot as the real Mandarin, pissed off at Killian and Trevor Slattery for knocking off his schtick for publicity.

In a way, it undermines the message they tried to deliver in Iron Man 3. On the other hand, Ben Kingsley was fucking fantastic as the Mandarin and I really want the character back.

Also, there was a short film Thomas Jane did they showed at (I think) comic con where he reprised the role of Frank Castle and it was really badass. Marvel need to get on another movie.
    That would make sense as I seem to recall that Trevor said he underwent surgery. So maybe they did plastic or cosmetic surgery to make him look like The Mandarin, etc. It would be a different double-twist sort of thing in all honesty if that were true.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    With how isolated from the rest of the established universe Iron Man 3 felt (no SHIELD or other Avengers even mentioned) it'd be kinda neat to see threads retroactively popping up in the later movies and Agents of Shield. The Real Mandarin (tm) showing up could be good.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    And Marvel reacquired Daredevil (pfff) and the Punisher (yesssss) and I am hoping for an awkward buddy cop spinoff TV show or something.

that 1970s gritty NYC daredevil concept reel looked nifty

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92cVd9HalHs

otoh, the punisher films tried to capture "gritty" and just came off as insipid. so it would require really careful and adept production and direction.

it's about the only way to make daredevil interesting though.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    With how isolated from the rest of the established universe Iron Man 3 felt (no SHIELD or other Avengers even mentioned)...
    Did you watch the post-credit sequence?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    The punisher dirty laundry short was amazing. Gave me hope vs the first attempted movie.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »

Aren't these "reports" coming from Latino Review?

I'd sooner trust the word of a drunken hobo down at the bus station.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular
    With how isolated from the rest of the established universe Iron Man 3 felt (no SHIELD or other Avengers even mentioned) it'd be kinda neat to see threads retroactively popping up in the later movies and Agents of Shield. The Real Mandarin (tm) showing up could be good.

IIRC Shield and the avengers were referenced, but it was along the lines of "this is my problem, I need to deal with it." Basically Stark said he didn't want to bring them in on it.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Olorin wrote: »

IIRC Shield and the avengers were referenced, but it was along the lines of "this is my problem, I need to deal with it." Basically Stark said he didn't want to bring them in on it.

Supposedly other second wave Marvel movies are going to happen in the same time frame as IM3, the implication is that SHIELD is going to be busy elsewhere.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Yeah, like in Thor 2
    Darcy can't contact anyone at SHIELD
    and that Winter Soldier trailer has Helicarriers going down...

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, like in Thor 2

Can't wait for another "Fury's really shitty week" comic to establish a timeline (iirc, IM2, IH, Thor and the end of Cap all happened in the same week).

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    Yeah, like in Thor 2

Can't wait for another "Fury's really shitty week" comic to establish a timeline (iirc, IM2, IH, Thor and the end of Cap all happened in the same week).

It's an easy out that will wear thin if they do it too much. But they still have a few uses left :).

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    My brother was explaining the premise of the new Xmen movie to me... it sounds really dumb. Like even for comic book stuff, which you can expect some silliness from. I'm sure I'll still see, but man...

He lost me at "Professor X time travels Logan's mind to his body from the past"

Hush you, "Days of Future Past" is still one of the greatest comic stories ever. I just hope they do it justice.

In the comics it was Kitty using Forge's time machine to teleport her mind into her younger self. I can buy Wolverine being the one to travel considering he is the face of the X-Men movieverse.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Just came back from Thor2. Its been released a week earlier here. It was also Cinema day, a yearly promotional event with a bunch of extra premiers and showings(plus tickets half off), so I got to see it early in the morning.

First Impressions? Good. They definitely managed a better way to integrate the Earth stuff with the Asgard stuff. Loki was much closer to his Avengers version, with pithy one-liners and such. All in all, the kind of movie we have come to expect from Marvel Films. Not great cinema or anything, but nice entertainment for a couple of hours. Cast and acting is pretty good. Everybody does pretty good job with no phoning it in. Kat Dennings reminded me a bit to much of Kat Dennings in 2 Broke Girls(caught an episode last week). But apart from that great.

Now for the surprises:
    A cameo by Cap. Or rather not as Loki shifts into Cap to taunt Thor about his new friends. A funny moment in one of the funnier sequences in the film, the Escape from Asgard.

Credits scenes
    We see Benicio Del Toro as The Collector being given one of the Infinity gems by Fandral and Sif. He then says 1 down 5 to go. This seems to be setup for Guardians of the Galaxy and some kind of quest for the infinity gems by the GoG(Setup for a GoG/Avengers movie based on the Infinity crusade or the like?)
    I didn't see this because I had to leave, but Thor and Jane Foster meet back on Earth. Thor having convinced his father that he rather be a champion fighting for the 9 worlds then King of Asgard. Effectively stranding himself on Earth rather then take up the throne.

And ultra secret(though you see it before the credits) knowledge.
    Only click on this if you want to know the secret ending of the movie.
    You have been warned
    Loki fakes his own death during the movie. He then infiltrates Asgard and usurps the Throne. Its not known if he kills Odin, since it happens offscreen, but at the end he has assumed his image and sits on the Throne of Asgard. He is the one that talks to Thor, when Thor decides to go into exile. He gives Thor his blessing. He may also have something to do with the Aether being given to the Collector, but its not clear(its unlikely that Volstagg and Sif would give up such a powerfull weapon without orders from "Odin").

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Olorin wrote: »

Supposedly other second wave Marvel movies are going to happen in the same time frame as IM3, the implication is that SHIELD is going to be busy elsewhere.

The great thing about having an international organization like SHIELD is that it takes a fuck load of things to keep them busy. This isn't Jack Harkness Torchwood.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Makes sense if AoS is gonna be anything to go by. Episode 1 is distinctly after IM3 and in a couple of weeks another episode is going to happen during/shortly after Thor 2.

As someone else said, it'll help establish a timeline better then having several movies spread out over years then releasing supplemental material to confirm they all take place during the same week.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    wiltingwilting I had fun once and it was awful Registered User regular
    Wait, Dark World had TWO after credits scenes? I only saw the first one.

• Options
    wilting wrote: »
    Wait, Dark World had TWO after credits scenes? I only saw the first one.

First one
    Sif and one of the other warriors handing over the remaining Aether to The Collector, as they have the Tesseract in Asgards vault and don't want "2 infinity gems so close together"

The Collector accepts it, says 1 down 5 to go...

Second one
    Thor returns to Earth right after breakfast, 2 days later. He and Jane smooch.

Cut to the Jotun Ice Beast still frolicking around London's docks.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    aBKmZGD_460s.jpg

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

To me, the problem with the Thor film was that the in-story timeline was condensed. They didn't have the balls to exile Thor, and then jump forward in time to where he's a doctor and stumbles upon his own hammer and then WOO HERO TIME. It ended up being alright at best.

It's still leagues ahead of The Incredible Hulk though. What a shit show that was.

Hulk or Incredible Hulk? (The Banna or Norton one?) Because while Hulk was a weird, WEIRD film, I felt Incredible Hulk was a decent film with a fucking awesome final action scene.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

Marvel made the right move in the movies by ditching the Donald Blake persona. It'd be an unnecessary complication. Thor is a super-hero who isn't required to have a human secret identity, unlike Superman.

Incredible Hulk is under-rated.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Oh man, that 'cameo' had me in stitches.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Just got back from seeing Thor (amazing), damnit I thought I might have left too early, didn't think they'd do a post-post credits scene. Tricksy!

Pretty much the whole theatre erupted with laughter at the cameo, that was great.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    The post credits scene wasn't overly important. Think of it like the post credits scene of IM 3 - something lighthearted to end with.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Thor 2 not being a god damn slog like the first one is making me very happy to hear. Is the only one of the Phase 1 movies that I thought was just straight up crap.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    Just came back from Thor2. Its been released a week earlier here. It was also Cinema day, a yearly promotional event with a bunch of extra premiers and showings(plus tickets half off), so I got to see it early in the morning.

Oh fuck yoouuuu...

I gotta hold off on spoilers for a whole week instead of just the day after the premiere when I'm going to see it!

I'm really bad at that.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Come on guys, you don't need to mention there's
    a cameo.
    outside of spoilers.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I could be talking about
    Stan Lees cameo

that's in every fucking one of those movies and isn't distracting at all...

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    You realize you're not the only one who mentioned that, right?

EDIT: I'm assuming that's a response to me; I didn't read the spoiler since I haven't see the movie yet.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I feel sad. I loved the first Thor. It was so silly and introduced the awesome Loki.

Also Jane hitting him with a car on multiple occasions was hilarious.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
This discussion has been closed.