As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] MH4U is released!

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Hallowed Jhen is basically Jhen with a different pattern, G rank stats, and then I think slightly tougher than the normal?

Abyssal Lagiacrus is a chump with bow/bowgun if you cheese it, and not horrible normally. Event one I don't know.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    I'll be hunting a bit in roughly an hour from now.

3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    From my first and only experience with Hallowed Jhen it seems like he is more often in a position where cannon balls don't reach him and he attacks way more often.

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    The hunt is on.

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Cromarty wrote: »
    Ugh, hallowed jhen. I have the quest open but I've avoided even giving it a try because it's another jhen. How tough is it solo?

I've beaten Hallowed Jhen solo often enough to have all of its armour.
    From my experience its kind of a pain; its not particularly tougher than regular Jhen, the moves are mostly the same just the order is switched around. But it obviously has way more HP and damage.
    But critically it attacks much more frequently. This makes it much easier to fail the quest by losing the dragon ship. If Jhen decides to do a bunch of attacks in a row there's not much you can do about it.
    So it's impotant to pay attention and use the dragonator/binder to stop it attacking as often as possible.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Also use a fire weapon if you have a good one. Hallowed is weak to fire.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I'm finally playing this again. G-rank Uragaans are no joke, what with that roll-into-chinslam move.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    I'll be hunting all the rest of today and tonight. Usual spot for PA, I believe, Free F, 5, standard PA password.
    Joined a friend's room. Still online, though.

IceBurner on
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    I'm finally playing this again. G-rank Uragaans are no joke, what with that roll-into-chinslam move.

Steel adds his damned stink bomb to this. >_<

• Options
    And then there's G-Rank Brachydios, who I swear is only ever not in Rage mode when he's fatigued.

• Options
    And then there's G-Rank Brachydios, who I swear is only ever not in Rage mode when he's fatigued.

G-Rank Brachy, Black Diablos, and Jho are basically in perma-rage. Some of the event monsters are literally perma-raged.

• Options
    Thanks for the hunts today. I need to stop here and resupply, so that's likely it for today.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Vyolynce wrote: »

G-Rank Brachy, Black Diablos, and Jho are basically in perma-rage. Some of the event monsters are literally perma-raged.

And this is why you bring traps and status (specifically, why any bow(gun) user should bring any possible status ammo, because rage is nothing before the power of sleepbombing)

Come to think of it, do status coatings on a bow override its normal element? I never did look that up or anything... not that it matters since a few arrows of poison/para/sleep are much more valuable for the damage that results than the normal element would be.

Polaritie on
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Vyolynce wrote: »

And this is why you bring traps and status (specifically, why any bow(gun) user should bring any possible status ammo, because rage is nothing before the power of sleepbombing)

Come to think of it, do status coatings on a bow override its normal element? I never did look that up or anything... not that it matters since a few arrows of poison/para/sleep are much more valuable for the damage that results than the normal element would be.

Yes, the coatings override any elemental effect on the bow.

• Options
    CromartyCromarty Danielle Registered User regular
    Woo, repelled h.jhen. It really does attack more often - I was sure it would wreck the ship with its flailing.
    Probably could've killed it, since I was able to break both weak points on its fin, but I have no idea where to stand in phase 2.

• Options
    Another trick for H.jhen is to HBG pierce gun it using the Diablos gun and a pierce up set.

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Playing though Freedom Unite has really given me some things to think about. It helped me figure out problems I was having with other games. I wrote a bunch of that down here, and I'm curious if anyone else has felt the same way.

I really am excited about MH4U in a way that I haven't been about a new game in as long as I can remember.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    That's a great write up @Page-.

The main reason I love Monster Hunter is that I always feel like I am progressing in some way. If it's not in a new and interesting armor skill set I put together or a new weapon it's in my own personal skill level.

• Options
    At some point everyone who had a pre-order of the Standard edition for MH4U got an email saying the expected date was changed to Jan 5th.

This could well have been a mistake (It's most likely it was a mistake) as it's back to March 31st and the CE was never changed but it's possible they accidently leaked the release date.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    That would be a pleasant (late) Christmas present.

Also relevant if you guys haven't seen it yet: MH4U Village quest walkthrough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cos936Miyiw

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    1/5? Please please please.

• Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Ok guys, time to show an unreleased figure that I won at a UFO catcher in Shinjuku.

Or at least my friend and I are pretty sure its not out yet, because I can't find it anywhere online for purchase. Also at all the major figurine shops in Akihabara, we have NEVER seen this one. Even some of the Japanese people there were talking about not seeing it and lots were pointing and waiting to win one after us.

It was a TWO piece set as well. The switch axe came by itself in a "hunter box". So we had to win the UFO game twice to get the whole thing. I'll admit, I played the gaijin card to have the arcade worker reset it a bit.
    But once we won the hunter and the weapon, my friend wanted one too and we actually got the second set with about 3000 yen.

That's the big difference between games like that here and in the states... they want you to eventually win here. If they notice you have put as much money as the thing is worth retail in, then they will open the machine up and set it up so you can easily win a few more moves... and when you are caucasian they are extra helpful since they want you to tell other foreign friends that you had fun. Or if I bring my wife, who has strawberry blonde hair, they will practically just open the machine up and give us the prize. Even if its just a Japanese couple on a date, they will help out big time if the guy is trying to win her a prize.

QYQZBpT.jpg

edit: Ahhh, found a pre-order for it. So its for sure not released yet: http://monsterofstore.com/shop/japan/monster-hunter-dxf-figure-ashira-series-with-slash-axe-box/

Badwrong on
    Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    That's a great write up @Page-.

The main reason I love Monster Hunter is that I always feel like I am progressing in some way. If it's not in a new and interesting armor skill set I put together or a new weapon it's in my own personal skill level.

Thanks. I guess I'm just really excited about MH4U. I want a gunlance with more than 2 moves, faster hammers, and all the other weapons that look much more fun to use.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    Badwrong wrote: »
    Ok guys, time to show an unreleased figure that I won at a UFO catcher in Shinjuku.

Or at least my friend and I are pretty sure its not out yet, because I can't find it anywhere online for purchase. Also at all the major figurine shops in Akihabara, we have NEVER seen this one. Even some of the Japanese people there were talking about not seeing it and lots were pointing and waiting to win one after us.

It was a TWO piece set as well. The switch axe came by itself in a "hunter box". So we had to win the UFO game twice to get the whole thing. I'll admit, I played the gaijin card to have the arcade worker reset it a bit.
    But once we won the hunter and the weapon, my friend wanted one too and we actually got the second set with about 3000 yen.

That's the big difference between games like that here and in the states... they want you to eventually win here. If they notice you have put as much money as the thing is worth retail in, then they will open the machine up and set it up so you can easily win a few more moves... and when you are caucasian they are extra helpful since they want you to tell other foreign friends that you had fun. Or if I bring my wife, who has strawberry blonde hair, they will practically just open the machine up and give us the prize. Even if its just a Japanese couple on a date, they will help out big time if the guy is trying to win her a prize.

QYQZBpT.jpg

edit: Ahhh, found a pre-order for it. So its for sure not released yet: http://monsterofstore.com/shop/japan/monster-hunter-dxf-figure-ashira-series-with-slash-axe-box/

Okay, that one I really, really like.

• Options
    I just love how the best food combo for grinding rare drops is to combine milk and booze and somehow get super drunk.

• Options
    I just love how the best food combo for grinding rare drops is to combine milk and booze and somehow get super drunk.

Drunken Boxing has nothing on drunken looting.

• Options
    Dang, I think I've tripped the desire sensor hard with regards to Lagiacrus Horns+. And I need like 6 of them to make a respecable Lightning-based Axe.

• Options
    ColumnColumn Registered User regular
    They must love the milk liquor on the dev team.

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular

White Russians are not to be trifled with.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    At some point everyone who had a pre-order of the Standard edition for MH4U got an email saying the expected date was changed to Jan 5th.

This could well have been a mistake (It's most likely it was a mistake) as it's back to March 31st and the CE was never changed but it's possible they accidently leaked the release date.

Everyone did? When was this? I've had an Amazon preorder for the standard edition since the end of September and never got a release date update email.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I really had the plan that Persona was going to fill the time from the end of this month until MH4 came out at the end of March but alas I also got fantasy life

I like the figure with the bow you posted earlier Badwrong but I found out you had to get the bow separately o well

• Options
    Frem wrote: »

Everyone did? When was this? I've had an Amazon preorder for the standard edition since the end of September and never got a release date update email.

I misunderstood. Only some people did apparently.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    I should have the Hori Extended Slide Pad tonight when I get home. I'll write up a better review on it then I did for the Cyber pad in the next day or two. (even if it's made obsolete by the New 3DS)

Seidkona on
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    So, @Elderlycrawfish, @UncleSporky, @Rubycat , @Mugaaz, @Manetherenwolf, and @Entaru, -- that's everyone on the MH list I've talked to/played some game with before -- I sent you all WiiU friend requests. If anyone is actively hunting and we haven't played together yet, feel free and send me a request, too.

IceBurner on
  • Options
    Excellent. I'll accept it tonight.

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I....kinda got rid of my WiiU. No 3U multi for me, I'll catch you guys when 4U comes out.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Heathen! :P

Polaritie on
  • Options
    Is your WiiU swimming with the fishes?

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    IceBurner wrote: »
    So, @Elderlycrawfish, @UncleSporky, @Rubycat , @Mugaaz, @Manetherenwolf, and @Entaru, -- that's everyone on the MH list I've talked to/played some game with before -- I sent you all WiiU friend requests. If anyone is actively hunting and we haven't played together yet, feel free and send me a request, too.

It's been so long since I played it, and I've got a lot of other stuff going on at this point, I don't know when I'll be playing it again. I'll see if I still have space on my Wii U friend list, it's been full since like launch day just from PA. Maybe I can remove some people. But I don't anticipate playing any time soon. :p

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Wow. The circle pad on the Hori Extended CPP is a dream to use.

Unless MH4U is amazingly terrible on the old 3DS I might put up with extra load times to use this.

Seidkona on