As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] MH4U is released!

• Options
    Kuroi OokamiKuroi Ookami Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Anyone available to hunt on Friday at some point? Saturday I'm with the family for Easter, but I'm free Friday, and I guess Sunday too. Monday as well for those who have it off.

*edit to add;
    Just found out I have a procedure at way too early in the morning on Saturday, so I can't stay up too late on Friday.

Kuroi Ookami on
    3DS (Topaz) 3351-4061-2929
    Wii U Topazfalcon (yes I play MH3U, preferably with a headset/mic usage)
    Let me know if you add me on either.
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    I think I can. As of now, the earlier the better. Evening is still up in the air.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      ZanshinretsuZanshinretsu About 20% more deathstare Seattle, WARegistered User regular
      Breaking the MHU hiatus to get back into the end-game grind. That means it's back to solo bow spamming A. Lagi all day and praying for dynamo drops. I think when I was playing a lot I had my times down to around 15 minutes solo. I blame the rust for runs taking around 20-22 minutes now. I really want the full A. Lagi set for the skills but I need ghostly quartz to finish one piece. That comes from Hallowed Jhen? If that's the case, I'll need to beat Alatreon. One of the reasons I took a break was repeated failures soloing the bastard with the kelbi bow.

Rather than deal with that, I'm working on getting all the elements for the weapons I normally use. Does anyone know what the best dragon element set of Dual Blades is? I have the second last stage of the Stygian Duals but I seem to recall the Jho set being good in P3rd. I'm thinking that line might be my best bet for the Duals and for the SA, since I also need a good high damage/sharpness dragon weapon there too.

My studio's main site
      PSN: Zanshiretsu <-- misspelled because I am dumb.
    • Options
      VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
      edited April 2014
      Rather than deal with that, I'm working on getting all the elements for the weapons I normally use. Does anyone know what the best dragon element set of Dual Blades is? I have the second last stage of the Stygian Duals but I seem to recall the Jho set being good in P3rd. I'm thinking that line might be my best bet for the Duals and for the SA, since I also need a good high damage/sharpness dragon weapon there too.

If you want raw, probably Stygian Superbia although that also brings lightning into the equation. Not sure on the Jho stats as those are one of like three sets I have yet to finish.

If you want actual dragon element Enduring Sacrifice (ancientshard) is the way to go.

EDIT: Checking wiki...

Insect line ends at 320 raw/200DR
      Superbia is 336/340 (240LI)
      Jho is 364/160
      Shard is 182/480

Vyolynce on
    • Options
      ZanshinretsuZanshinretsu About 20% more deathstare Seattle, WARegistered User regular
      edited April 2014
      Huh. I guess Superbia is better dragon than the Jho set. The slightly lower raw is offset by the bonus lightning damage. Guess I will go for that one. I think I just burned the last couple Stygian Z Skymeralds after running the twin Zin missions all week. Welp, back to the grind. Getting around 15 minutes per Stygian with the I. Lagi axe so it shouldn't be too bad. I think I might need one more regular Skymerald too. Those are seriously the bane of my MHU hunting career.

Edit: Just checked Kiranico for the SA lines and it looks like the Alatreon SA has the highest overall dragon damage. I should have known that since I made that weapon in 3rd. So grinding Alatreon then. Damn it.

Zanshinretsu on
      My studio's main site
    • Options
      Yeah the last upgrade for Superbia is nothing but Lashes and Emeralds.

• Options
      SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
      edited April 2014
      I'm really enjoying sns right now with all the duck and weave combat. It feels like I have ages to move before the next monster attacks because the sns attacks are so quick.

Seidkona on
      Mostly just huntin' monsters.
      XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    • Options
      PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
      Entaru wrote: »
      I'm really enjoying sns right now with all the duck and weave combat. It fells like I have ages to move before the next monster attacks because the sns attacks are so quick.

Yep, now you have to get onto the razor's edge and get in as many slashes as possible between attacks before dodging.

Steam: Polaritie
      3DS: 0473-8507-2652
      Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
      PSN: AbEntropy
    • Options
      edited April 2014
      Polaritie wrote: »
      I'm really enjoying sns right now with all the duck and weave combat. It fells like I have ages to move before the next monster attacks because the sns attacks are so quick.

Yep, now you have to get onto the razor's edge and get in as many slashes as possible between attacks before dodging.

At least SnS has the option of blocking. My fellow DS users and I just get punched. :P

Vyolynce on
    • Options
      Vyolynce wrote: »
      Polaritie wrote: »

At least SnS has the option of blocking. My fellow DS users and I just get punched. :P

Yeah, the block is a godsend - you can't always get clear in time. SnS is the easiest weapon in the game to not die with by far, but one of the hardest to put out lots of damage with (because you need to put in the time to get an elemental set and then ride that razor's edge). You can't just punish and snipe with charged attacks like GS/Hammer, you don't have the ridiculous poke power of the switch-axe (ax overhead swing), etc.

• Options
      Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
      Pssh, not if you've got evade+

• Options
      Pssh, not if you've got evade+

Evade+ is practically mandatory for DS and SnS to let you do their crazy stick-like-glue playstyle.

• Options
      Kuroi OokamiKuroi Ookami Registered User regular
      Having never used it, does Evade+ really make that much of a difference? I love my SnS, so if this is a must have, I'd like to know more about how it works/what it does.

3DS (Topaz) 3351-4061-2929
      Wii U Topazfalcon (yes I play MH3U, preferably with a headset/mic usage)
      Let me know if you add me on either.
    • Options
      Anyone got scheduled hunting plans this weekend?

• Options
        TimFiji wrote: »

I do, but will be mostly local this weekend.

• Options
        TimFiji wrote: »

I do, but will be mostly local this weekend.

Make me hate you with jealousy? Check

• Options
          Having never used it, does Evade+ really make that much of a difference? I love my SnS, so if this is a must have, I'd like to know more about how it works/what it does.

The Evade + skills increase the invincibility windows for your character when dodging. According to Kiranico, the +2 skill increases the window from .2 to .4 seconds. It might not sound like a lot but it does make a difference. For weapons where you're right next to the pointy ends of the monsters, being able to have some flexibility on your dodging can be the difference between life and cart. This is especially true on G rank. I personally like using +2 on all my skills. For a DS build, it pairs well with evade extender which gives you more distance per dodge. Also note that the I-frame boost applies to all evades including back hops and side-steps depending on the weapon.

My studio's main site
        • Options
          Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
          I don't have a G-rank set without Evade+ on it (for DS anyway) it's super useful.
          It pretty much just allows you to hang around near a monster and keep hacking away at it so long as you can read it's tells from a short distance. And can back off for any disappointingly un-evadeable AoE effects.

• Options
        • Options
          So... Diablos and Monoblos?

Someone just shoot me now.

Speaking of Diablos, I think the only Advanced quest I have left to complete is double-Black after some good work with my friend yesterday. In a related story, apparently the desire sensor can ALSO detect which advanced quests you need. The last time either of us saw that quest, we had the option of doing either it or triple SBarioth and went for the latter. I'm pretty sure we completed a good ten quests after that and at NO time did either one of us have the double-Black quest offered again.

• Options
          edited April 2014
          It'd be funny if they had a hornless varient and called him Noblos.

Seidkona on
        • Options
          L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular

They call that a Deviljho?

• Options
          Centiblos.

• Options

They call that a Deviljho?

Wouldn't it be Jhoblos then?

• Options
          Omnijhoblos

• Options
          ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
          Cephadrome is such a pushover; i guess maybe they wanted something easy as training wheels for the desert map?

I am, however, down for Daimyo Hermitaur action. I mean, if everything old is new again at least giant enemy crab is a bit more of a change than diablos minus 1 horn.

• Options
          CromartyCromarty Danielle Registered User regular

Speaking of Diablos, I think the only Advanced quest I have left to complete is double-Black after some good work with my friend yesterday. In a related story, apparently the desire sensor can ALSO detect which advanced quests you need. The last time either of us saw that quest, we had the option of doing either it or triple SBarioth and went for the latter. I'm pretty sure we completed a good ten quests after that and at NO time did either one of us have the double-Black quest offered again.
          You can rotate the advanced quests by traveling to Moga village and back - fast travel from port at an area transition, then touchscreen shortcut to tavern is the quickest way I know.
          I've abandoned attempts at a few and then reloaded the game and had to cycle them the same number of times to get back to the one I was doing, so I'm pretty sure the order isn't generated when you boot the game or load your file.

• Options
          I watched a video of the crab fight. It looks awful. Actually, all the bosses looked awful.
          "Here, hit this giant salamander for 35 minutes!"
          "Here, hit this giant crab which occasionally tries to hit you back, but mostly you'll take damage from running into it, for 35 minutes!"

• Options
          edited April 2014
          Cromarty wrote: »

You can rotate the advanced quests by traveling to Moga village and back - fast travel from port at an area transition, then touchscreen shortcut to tavern is the quickest way I know.
          I've abandoned attempts at a few and then reloaded the game and had to cycle them the same number of times to get back to the one I was doing, so I'm pretty sure the order isn't generated when you boot the game or load your file.

Good to know, but not really something I want to do while playing locally. It'll show up when it shows up; we just thought it amusing that the game seemed to be denying it to us for so long.

Vyolynce on
        • Options
          nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
          Hey Movants Hunter thread! I recently got a WiiU and have played a bit of monster hunter on the 3ds. Unfortunately, I never got to play multiplayer which kinepd of killed my momentum. I'm really tempted by the console version but a couple of things are holding me back. I know you guys are pretty active players, but I don't want to drag you down with all my low level gear. How long after I got the game could I hunt with you guys? Also, is Mobster Hunter 4 coming to the wiiu in 2015 out just the 3ds. I want to make sure which version I want. Thanks!

• Options
          edited April 2014
          So far we've only heard of a 3ds version of MH4U.

As for holding us back you should never feel like that. I know most of us don't mind helping out at lower ranks. It's really not an issue as it's still fun and rewarding.

Seidkona on
        • Options
          So far we've only heard of a 3ds version if MH4U.

As for holding us back you should never feel like that. I know most of us don't mind helping out at lower ranks. It's really not an issue as it's still fun and rewarding.

Yeah it gives me an excuse to break out the Chum-Chum Scarecrows.

• Options
          I watched a video of the crab fight. It looks awful. Actually, all the bosses looked awful.
          "Here, hit this giant crab which occasionally tries to hit you back, but mostly you'll take damage from running into it, for 35 minutes!"

You just described every Monster Hunter fight ever.

I mean, if you distill the core concept down that is literally what you do in MH.

• Options
          DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
          Cephadrome is such a pushover; i guess maybe they wanted something easy as training wheels for the desert map?

Oh god. Cephadrome is back? Gaaaaahhh. I remember fucking hating that thing in Unite. I want monsters that actually fight me, not things that spend 70% of the fight time swimming around in the sand.

Steam ID: Right here.
        • Options
          I want to ride the giant hermit crab.

Also, hyped to see Monoblos back. I'm hoping they give it a moveset that distinguishes it from Diablos. I assume the little tease at the end is the 4U flagship monster that I am now nicknaming "Nest Intruder".

In 3U news, failed again trying to solo the HR Alatreon with the kelbi bow. I think I was closer but good lord, there is 0 room for error in that fight. Currently rotating through trying to get lagi mantles, I. hardhorns, and S. Zino skymeralds while procrastinating instead.

My studio's main site
        • Options

I mean, if you distill the core concept down that is literally what you do in MH.

I mean if you want to get pedantic, sure. But there was no real movement involved. Just dodging of limbs wherein you happen to be in its way. It doesn't attack you, or do fucking anything but move. Like, take the Caedeus fight. It moves for the first part, which is boring as shit. Then it fights you. It charges you, and spits water jets at you, and tries to do things back to you. The crab? It just stands there, and lets beat on it. Wooo! How fucking exciting! Same with the giant salamander. It is like the first part of the Caedeus fight, but even more boring! It just moves, slowly, along a path, because it's lame!

• Options
          I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

The Evade + skills increase the invincibility windows for your character when dodging. According to Kiranico, the +2 skill increases the window from .2 to .4 seconds. It might not sound like a lot but it does make a difference. For weapons where you're right next to the pointy ends of the monsters, being able to have some flexibility on your dodging can be the difference between life and cart. This is especially true on G rank. I personally like using +2 on all my skills. For a DS build, it pairs well with evade extender which gives you more distance per dodge. Also note that the I-frame boost applies to all evades including back hops and side-steps depending on the weapon.

It's the sort of thing where yeah, you can look at it as increasing the invincibility window from .2 to .4, or you can look at it as holy shit it DOUBLES your invincibility

liEt3nH.png
        • Options

I mean if you want to get pedantic, sure. But there was no real movement involved. Just dodging of limbs wherein you happen to be in its way. It doesn't attack you, or do fucking anything but move. Like, take the Caedeus fight. It moves for the first part, which is boring as shit. Then it fights you. It charges you, and spits water jets at you, and tries to do things back to you. The crab? It just stands there, and lets beat on it. Wooo! How fucking exciting! Same with the giant salamander. It is like the first part of the Caedeus fight, but even more boring! It just moves, slowly, along a path, because it's lame!

Wait, what videos are you talking about? Daimyo Hermitaur does stuff (or at least used to) like claw swipes, water spit, charging with its shell, and jumping up for a giant slam. Not to mention the dig underground and surprise pop up under you.

I mean it's not exactly agile like a Narga but it does do things. Unless that's somehow changed on 4U.

• Options
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jb1RBf2vmcM

Fucking boring.

How about this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUjwv5iVO38

He has to speed it up because it's slow and boring as shit. I mean, like, just awful. I have no desire to even play that game up to that point if I'm going to fall asleep. Where's the challenge? Where's anything to keep you awake?

• Options
          Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
          edited April 2014
          You are describing Shen Gaoren and Lao Shan Lung. The idea behind those bosses is that they are so gigantic that you are but a flea to them. With rank-appropriate weapons, the only thing you can hope for is repelling them away from the Fortress. It's an anti-siege hunt and DPS check, basically.

I'm not a huge fan of those two hunts, much like I'm not a fan of Jhen Mohran or Ceadeus (which are pretty much the same thing, except on a BOAT and in the WATER, and all that) in Tri. For Lao Shan Lung in particular, like Jhen Mohran, you can't beat it in 15 minutes. You HAVE to keep fighting it until it reaches the last zone. In fact, if you greatly out-DPS the fight, you can prevent him from reaching the last zone within the time limit and fail the quest due to time.

tl;dr Those fights are pretty much the Unite equivalents of Jhen Mohran and Ceadeus.

EDIT: I'm actually quite fond of the Yamatsukami fight, mostly because it's a flying octopus with a helicopter move that can be dodged by using a specific gesture. :D

Hahnsoo1 on
          8i1dt37buh2m.png