As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Clockwork Empires: Steampunk Lovecraft Dwarf Fortreſs - Releaſe Date Oct 26th

13»

• rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    Wyvern wrote: »
    Dear lord, there's a playable build of Clockwork Empires?

Okay thread, listen up. I'm counting on each and every one of you to tell me that this game is too early in development to be worth playing until at LEAST regular Early Access starts. Don't screw me on this!

Things currently in the game:

- Fully featured base economy (with some placeholder stuff; mineral resources are found in deposits on the ground. You can't build mines yet).
    - Basic military implementation (no Steam Knight economy yet, though you can build them through a placeholder system)
    - Fish men attacks
    - Embezzlers
    - Drug dealers
    - Estranged opera singers
    - Hunting / Gathering
    - Agriculture
    - Airship supply drops (sans airship graphics)
    - Fully featured base personality system

Things not in the game but presumably will be later:

- Embark choices
    - Options menu
    - Advanced economy stuff (setting up Steam Knight production lines, setting up mines)
    - Graveyards
    - ???

Things that may be in the alpha but I haven't seen it yet:

- Eldritch horrors
    - Artefacts man was never meant to know about
    - Non-euclidean geometry

Also it is kind of unstable. I've had 1 CTD.

Important Addendum:

Okay, so the core game is more or less exactly what I wanted.

The Alpha build currently available showcases the core gameplay, but is not what i would call a 'game' in it's current state. You will plod along for maybe a few hours building stuff, and then something will break and you'll start all over. You cannot build more tools (I haven't tried building new weapons because the default redcoats & their equipment are more than sufficient), so you'll eventually break all of your axes & picks if nothing else & run out of building material. None of the cult gameplay appears to be implemented yet.

Basically, buy this if you want to pre-order. I don't think what's there will do much to tide you over.
    Tool automatically appear when needed unless they changed something without mentioning it.

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    rockrnger wrote: »
    Wyvern wrote: »
    Dear lord, there's a playable build of Clockwork Empires?

Okay thread, listen up. I'm counting on each and every one of you to tell me that this game is too early in development to be worth playing until at LEAST regular Early Access starts. Don't screw me on this!

Things currently in the game:

- Fully featured base economy (with some placeholder stuff; mineral resources are found in deposits on the ground. You can't build mines yet).
    - Basic military implementation (no Steam Knight economy yet, though you can build them through a placeholder system)
    - Fish men attacks
    - Embezzlers
    - Drug dealers
    - Estranged opera singers
    - Hunting / Gathering
    - Agriculture
    - Airship supply drops (sans airship graphics)
    - Fully featured base personality system

Things not in the game but presumably will be later:

- Embark choices
    - Options menu
    - Advanced economy stuff (setting up Steam Knight production lines, setting up mines)
    - Graveyards
    - ???

Things that may be in the alpha but I haven't seen it yet:

- Eldritch horrors
    - Artefacts man was never meant to know about
    - Non-euclidean geometry

Also it is kind of unstable. I've had 1 CTD.

Important Addendum:

Okay, so the core game is more or less exactly what I wanted.

The Alpha build currently available showcases the core gameplay, but is not what i would call a 'game' in it's current state. You will plod along for maybe a few hours building stuff, and then something will break and you'll start all over. You cannot build more tools (I haven't tried building new weapons because the default redcoats & their equipment are more than sufficient), so you'll eventually break all of your axes & picks if nothing else & run out of building material. None of the cult gameplay appears to be implemented yet.

Basically, buy this if you want to pre-order. I don't think what's there will do much to tide you over.
    Tool automatically appear when needed unless they changed something without mentioning it.

In an earlier build there was an option to make tools in the metalworkers shop, but they would disappear as soon as you tried to make them. I'm pretty sure it gave the tools automatically then (and still does) but people didn't know that. So they clarified it and removed the tools from the metalworker (I think the plan is for you to make tools and for them to wear out but not in the build at this point)

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    What I can't wait for is the opportunity to incorporate the fishfolk into my burgeoning colony. Let it not be said that I would discriminate against a people merely because of their horrible scaly skin or disgusting flapping gills. Provided that they work for the betterment of the colony that is...

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Anyone who was waiting to pick this up on sale, it's been holding steady between 9-10k gems in the Steam pre-sale auction. So you could probably grab it by linejumping an auction for $10-11 worth of gems. Pretty good discount on a $30 title still in early access.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    ... Why are you doing this to me, @Iolo‌

steam_sig.png
    What I can't wait for is the opportunity to incorporate the fishfolk into my burgeoning colony. Let it not be said that I would discriminate against a people merely because of their horrible scaly skin or disgusting flapping gills. Provided that they work for the betterment of the colony that is...

Maybe a school to teach them civilization.

I like it.

These sorts of games have the best kind of patch notes:
    balance: made colonists less hungry on gamestart (unless they’re criminals)
    FIXED: colonists no longer believe that raw coconuts are a cooked food
    FIXED incorrect icons for eating human flesh
    soldiers do pushups
    FIXED: colonists would beat up dead bandits, calling it a “melee counterattack”

More wacky patch notes:
    cults: cultists will become irrationally happy if they do any sort of cult things
    cults: occult murder re-activated; occult murderers won’t flee from justice (they serve a higher law)
    added more character names (call me Ishmael)
    balance: made fishpeople less excited about attacking gabions
    the macroscope is no longer backwards
    “Lord Palmerstoke’s Science Crate” event has been completely revamped and is ridiculous
    FIXED: events w/o consequences

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I really need to go buy this game.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Good lord this is glitchy as all heck.

Latest wacky patch notes:
    cultists in a fish cult will not hassle fishpeople because it goes against their religious beliefs
    balance: made colonists made less enthusiastic about Fishpeople hassling outside of civilization
    FIXED: fishpeople hassling requires being in civilization
    FIXED: sleeping people can no longer object to your policies
    FIXED: characters will not make friends with themselves, either
    FIXED: Colonists intending to hug fishpeople will no longer hug normal people. Just fishpeople.
    FIXED: dead bandits can no longer be harvested by fishpeople for infinite longpork
    FIXED: people’s heads popping off when you conscripted them into the colonial militia
    Giant Beetles will now, confoundingly, explode into smaller beetles when killed

More wacky patch notes (from a while ago, forgot to post them):
    colonists will abort hugging more accurately
    FIXED: corpses thinking they weren’t in the world and thus messing up burial jobs
    added concept of training to barracks: assigned NCO will order militia soldiers to “get swole” so they become proper redcoats
    FIXED: you will not longer see “Her Majesty’s 11st Regiment”
    added “Idle Suspiciously” job for foreigners
    FIXED: dead things very specifically can’t become hostile now even if they try
    FIXED: former bandit appeared to re-join colony when dead and buried in grave
    FIXED: Bandits killed while stealing your stuff will no longer leave commodities hanging in mid-air

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    colonists will abort hugging more accurately

This is why we need to keep hug abortions safe and legal. Colonists will still abort hugs no matter what, but inaccurate hug abortions are just no good for anybody.

• TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Hows the game feeling gameplay-wise these days?

steam_sig.png
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    TeeMan wrote: »
    Hows the game feeling gameplay-wise these days?

It's playable, but I still would not recommend a buy-in for people who want a finished game (though I'm happy to encourage people to buy-in if they want to support it's development; it's going to be finished, and it's going to be awesome when it's done).

The last few revisions have made the game stable, so you can play loooooonnngg sessions without fear of crashing (and it now has load/save functionality too), but:

- The renderer is still pretty buggy. Lots of visual glitches still occur with building roofs, colonists still sometimes get stuck in geometry, sometimes animations will bug out in weird ways and the game stutters during events.

- It has atrocious save times, making the autosave feature more of a nuisance than an ally.

- The economy is still in flux, with the devs experimenting with different models. This is a good thing for development, but feels kinda bad to play; at some point the economy usually breaks down for some reason (right now food doesn't scale-up with colony growth adequately, so large colonies just starve out).

- Military is still barebones.

- Events & encounters are still barebones.

Without a comprehensive & sensible event seeding system, the game suffers from a lack of goals you need to accomplish. You can feel like you're managing workers without any real purpose, so even growing a big colony doesn't feel all that satisfying.

The pacing is also wonky right now, with moments of such intense activity that it's frustrating to handle it all and then long stretches with almost nothing to do.

With Love and Courage

Wow, super disappointing.

So much of the stuff I was excited about just isn't in yet.

No overworld in particular.

• The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    I just wanted to post a PSA here, as someone who was initially excited by the game's promise:

It is not finished. It has, in terms of the core gameplay & user experience - in my opinion - barely nudged at all since I first began trying the EA product. There is no sensible event seeding, no goals (I don't care if a game doesn't include an over-arching linear goal or not, but yes, I do want the game to include structured goals to achieve & associated rewards), janky as Hell pathfinding, no transportation infrastructure, the same barebones military that has always been present, very little steampunk anything...

The water still, inexplicably, resembles a graphical artifact. Apparently even just applying a basic texture to the surface was not high on anyone's priority list. Neither, apparently, was fixing a number of memory leaks or CTD problems.

None of what was in that brilliant teaser is realized in 1.0. What I have in front of me amounts to a prototype 3D colony management sim that maybe would have been interesting to look at in a world that didn't already include Rimworld, Prison Architect and Sims 4.

This is basically the polar opposite of my Darkest Dungeon Early Access journey. I feel legitimately ripped-off; clearly Gaslamp didn't have the resources to pull this off, they figured that much out themselves and then they decided to pick pockets to make-up the difference rather than pulling the plug and issuing refunds.

It's like SotS 2 all over again (...well, except that thankfully I was fortunate enough to miss the boat on the SotS 2 mess).

Do not buy this. Don't buy it now, don't buy it on sale (...well, unless somehow the 'post-launch support' actually manages to turn it into a game).

With Love and Courage
  • TakelTakel Registered User regular
    I'm genuinely disappointed that it's 'ended' this way. But on the same note, I'm not too fussed since there has been other games in the same vein especially Rimworld which is really taking the ball and running with it.

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • BonepartBonepart Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Well, I suppose it's safe to stop following the thread then. Shame to hear it.

Thanks for the heads up!

Bonepart on
    XBL Gamertag: Ipori
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Oh, Early Access. Where anyone can promise me my dream game to every level of detail, but that won't get me any closer to playing it.

What is this I don't even.
    I just wanted to post a PSA here, as someone who was initially excited by the game's promise:

It is not finished. It has, in terms of the core gameplay & user experience - in my opinion - barely nudged at all since I first began trying the EA product. There is no sensible event seeding, no goals (I don't care if a game doesn't include an over-arching linear goal or not, but yes, I do want the game to include structured goals to achieve & associated rewards), janky as Hell pathfinding, no transportation infrastructure, the same barebones military that has always been present, very little steampunk anything...

The water still, inexplicably, resembles a graphical artifact. Apparently even just applying a basic texture to the surface was not high on anyone's priority list. Neither, apparently, was fixing a number of memory leaks or CTD problems.

None of what was in that brilliant teaser is realized in 1.0. What I have in front of me amounts to a prototype 3D colony management sim that maybe would have been interesting to look at in a world that didn't already include Rimworld, Prison Architect and Sims 4.

This is basically the polar opposite of my Darkest Dungeon Early Access journey. I feel legitimately ripped-off; clearly Gaslamp didn't have the resources to pull this off, they figured that much out themselves and then they decided to pick pockets to make-up the difference rather than pulling the plug and issuing refunds.

It's like SotS 2 all over again (...well, except that thankfully I was fortunate enough to miss the boat on the SotS 2 mess).

Do not buy this. Don't buy it now, don't buy it on sale (...well, unless somehow the 'post-launch support' actually manages to turn it into a game).

I will agree with most of this with the exception that they at least took the time (prolly the last 6ish months) to make the game functional.

Still super disappointing and mediocre tho.

Oh @the_ender

If you ask they will probably give you a refund.

At least they have been.