As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Clockwork Empires: Steampunk Lovecraft Dwarf Fortreſs - Releaſe Date Oct 26th

• RadioElectricRadioElectric Registered User regular
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    Since we're talking about games that don't exist, I'd like a wizarding simulator. Where you get to build a massive wizard tower somewhere, research/invent spells to mess around with, perform crimes against sense and all that is holy, have a minion/butler(probably called Igor or something) to do all the maintenance and shit jobs, research spells, summon/create hideous mutations that you'll then hide in a dungeon, and occasionally get pestered by jackass adventuring parties of heroes. Maybe if you get bored, you'll launch a reign of terror as an evil wizard, meddle in the neighboring kingdoms' business, etc.

Basically, let me be an evil wizard.

Not a million miles away:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwEeCbKz2ug

• TakelTakel Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    The Ender wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    My main concern is that this game is painfully ugly. I want to be excited but the screen shots just leave me flaccid.

df.png

It's not a bad looker given the genre. :P

The character models remind me of Freedom Force.

I would pay good money for a superhero base building game where as you build your base you attract stronger heroes and can assemble custom Avenger's style teams to go fight crime. Then you'd have super villains trying to attack, dimensional portals opening that to have to contain, mole people breaking into the ground floors, and so on. The base would need medbays, training rooms, residential areas, entertainment, a command room, etc.

Fuck, why doesn't this game exist?

So, a better version of Majesty?

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    Since we're talking about games that don't exist, I'd like a wizarding simulator. Where you get to build a massive wizard tower somewhere, research/invent spells to mess around with, perform crimes against sense and all that is holy, have a minion/butler(probably called Igor or something) to do all the maintenance and shit jobs, research spells, summon/create hideous mutations that you'll then hide in a dungeon, and occasionally get pestered by jackass adventuring parties of heroes. Maybe if you get bored, you'll launch a reign of terror as an evil wizard, meddle in the neighboring kingdoms' business, etc.

Basically, let me be an evil wizard.

Not a million miles away:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwEeCbKz2ug

Eh, it's superficially similar, but the core gameplay is completely different, with a different focus.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Takel wrote: »
    My main concern is that this game is painfully ugly. I want to be excited but the screen shots just leave me flaccid.

df.png

I would pay good money for a superhero base building game where as you build your base you attract stronger heroes and can assemble custom Avenger's style teams to go fight crime. Then you'd have super villains trying to attack, dimensional portals opening that to have to contain, mole people breaking into the ground floors, and so on. The base would need medbays, training rooms, residential areas, entertainment, a command room, etc.

Essentially only with actual base building like in Dwarf Fortress/Starbase DF-9.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    This thread title contains a lot of words that I really like.

H9f4bVe.png
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Takel wrote: »

df.png

Essentially only with actual base building like in Dwarf Fortress/Starbase DF-9.

I tell you, I went back to play some Majesty 2 this weekend, and I remembered why I put it down several months ago.

I've got two potential missions: one against a rat king, and one against a dark tower.

Upon starting the rat king mission, I immediately order my peasants to construct a fighter guild and a cleric guild. Before either of those can finish, the rat king shows up and starts summoning ratman minions and giant rants which kill my workers and destroy the in-progress guilds. My single royal guard cannot defeat them, so they eventually start to work on my castle. Game over.

I try again, this time going with the faster-to-construct guard towers, but the results are the same. Game over.

In the dark tower mission, I can't get enough stuff built before the lord of the dark tower just starts throwing long-distance magic at my town, blowing up the guilds I've managed to create. Game over.

WTF am I supposed to do?

• TakelTakel Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Ahhh... the Rat King mission. I remember that being the hardest a.k.a most bullshit mission start for a fair while. There's one which is almost as BS later on but from memory that had a dragon carpet bombing your town but yeah... I built a single guard tower next to the sewer grate then built a Ranger guild once the first wave of mobs were killed by the guards as rangers have bonus damage versus beasts.

I can't remember what I did on the dark tower mission. I don't recall it being anywhere near as stupid as the rat king in the 'do or die' first 5 minutes. Majesty 2 really suffered from lop sided mission phases. Everything is front loaded: You either established yourself, or you didn't. If you manage to get a few guilds, the heroes are levelling up and you're getting an ok stream of income, you will win. You'll snowball and just demolish everything so long as there's no secret time limit bullcrap or hermit hut right next to your town that spawns a stupid werewolf that cuts apart anything that sees it.

Takel on
    Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    The state of the game as of a week ago.

Stickiness and Networking.

My favorite part about these (amazing) blog posts is the tags at the end.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    The state of the game as of a week ago.

Stickiness and Networking.

My favorite part about these (amazing) blog posts is the tags at the end.

"you have to memorize the correct series of arcane motions for the house to be successfully built -- basically its Black & White"

• KiasKias Registered User regular
    This is on my list of "trying to forget so it won't feel like as long a wait for release" games.

That I am really excited for...

steam_sig.png

• IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Kias wrote: »
    This is on my list of "trying to forget so it won't feel like as long a wait for release" games.

That I am really excited for...

Yeah its like that with me checking on Stardew Valley progress every month and feeling sad its not out yet...

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Loins girded, I am ready.

I wonder if this would appeal to The Sims crowd. Some people like having direct control over individual lives (like in 1 and 2), while others enjoy designing a life and seeing how they go about it (3). It specifically mentions that you won't have 'click-on-you-click-here-to-move' functionality of individual settlers, but you'll be able to coerce them via construction projects (hopefully other stuff too?) so it seems like it'd appeal more to the Sims 3 crowd.

Time to go trawling though the dev diaries.

steam_sig.png
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    I'm quite looking forward to seeing some clips about the early access. I probably won't bite until it's basically complete though.

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I've been playing it and I feel good about this early access (for me at least) because I enjoy playing the game even as it is now, when it gets finished I don't think I'll ever get tired of it. It's just the kind of game I like best of all. I mean I bought Startopia like 5 different times so I could keep playing it, and the atmosphere and gameplay of this game is just the right mix to draw that kind of attention from me.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    It does look like so much fun.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    I've been playing it and I feel good about this early access (for me at least) because I enjoy playing the game even as it is now, when it gets finished I don't think I'll ever get tired of it. It's just the kind of game I like best of all. I mean I bought Startopia like 5 different times so I could keep playing it, and the atmosphere and gameplay of this game is just the right mix to draw that kind of attention from me.

Dropping that comparison is entirely unfair to my wallet.

Definitely going to look into this.

• The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I am downloading the shit out of this right now.

EDIT: Alright, I'm gonna be a little bitch and whine about this even as I buy / download the game:

30 bucks for early access? Seriously?

More people need to use the Minecraft model. If I'm going to buy your stuff waaaaay ahead of release, in an alpha state, at least give me a nice discount. :|

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
    Even though I've been hype for this game for a while (reading every dev diary etc.) $30 is too steep for me for a videogame in general, let alone "Earliest Access". Still, very keen to watch some gameplay vids and read impressions

steam_sig.png
    Steam discounts have truly ruined me as a person. Give me everything for the cost of a candy bar or CLEARLY THIS IS TOO EXPENSIVE! :p

Still, a discount for early buy would've been nice.

With Love and Courage
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Steam discounts have truly ruined me as a person. Give me everything for the cost of a candy bar or CLEARLY THIS IS TOO EXPENSIVE! :p

Still, a discount for early buy would've been nice.

I agree, but from my experience I'm having a ton of fun even with a bunch of features not in the game, if they deliver on even half the stuff they've talked about I can't imagine not loving this game.

Edit: This is a few months old but here's a video of a couple of devs talking about the game while playing it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fATuVOIRyxA

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    Oh my God.

Okay, so buildings basically work like houses in the Sims: you lay out a floor plan, then just fill them with whatever appliances / furniture you want. The difference is that instead of buying the stuff, it's built using resources you harvest.

The personality of the game is spot on. My first embark was with a bunch of embezzlers & drunkards evading tax penalties.

Things go to Hell in a handbasket right from the start; there's not waiting seasons upon seasons for the eventual siege. Personally, i'm a fan of this.

SPACE BAR PAUSES THE GAME! USE THIS FEATURE!

...Does anyone know if / how the wildebeasts can be hunted in the alpha? There's no context menu for them if you click them, and i don't see anything like a hunter's lodge.

With Love and Courage
  • BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    Oh my God.

Okay, so buildings basically work like houses in the Sims: you lay out a floor plan, then just fill them with whatever appliances / furniture you want. The difference is that instead of buying the stuff, it's built using resources you harvest.

The personality of the game is spot on. My first embark was with a bunch of embezzlers & drunkards evading tax penalties.

Things go to Hell in a handbasket right from the start; there's not waiting seasons upon seasons for the eventual siege. Personally, i'm a fan of this.

SPACE BAR PAUSES THE GAME! USE THIS FEATURE!

...Does anyone know if / how the wildebeasts can be hunted in the alpha? There's no context menu for them if you click them, and i don't see anything like a hunter's lodge.

Turn on Hunting Jobs (the little pit helmet and rifle button aka, the only one turned off on all the workcrews) on one of your workcrews, your military squad works well for this, and they'll just pop anything that wanders close.

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
    You can change the shape of the buildings! They don't have to be squares!

With Love and Courage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEtRoZ5FWNc

How?

HOW!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEtRoZ5FWNc

How?

HOW!?

when in floor planning mode, after laying down the initial rectangle, just click and drag any adjacent tiles you want to add to the structure.

Also, i think I accidentally turned off the in game sound somehow. Anyone know what hotkey toggles it on/off?

With Love and Courage
  • WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Dear lord, there's a playable build of Clockwork Empires?

Okay thread, listen up. I'm counting on each and every one of you to tell me that this game is too early in development to be worth playing until at LEAST regular Early Access starts. Don't screw me on this!

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
    Wyvern wrote: »

Okay thread, listen up. I'm counting on each and every one of you to tell me that this game is too early in development to be worth playing until at LEAST regular Early Access starts. Don't screw me on this!

Things currently in the game:

- Fully featured base economy (with some placeholder stuff; mineral resources are found in deposits on the ground. You can't build mines yet).
    - Basic military implementation (no Steam Knight economy yet, though you can build them through a placeholder system)
    - Fish men attacks
    - Embezzlers
    - Drug dealers
    - Estranged opera singers
    - Hunting / Gathering
    - Agriculture
    - Airship supply drops (sans airship graphics)
    - Fully featured base personality system

Things not in the game but presumably will be later:

- Embark choices
    - Options menu
    - Advanced economy stuff (setting up Steam Knight production lines, setting up mines)
    - Graveyards
    - ???

Things that may be in the alpha but I haven't seen it yet:

- Eldritch horrors
    - Artefacts man was never meant to know about
    - Non-euclidean geometry

Also it is kind of unstable. I've had 1 CTD.

With Love and Courage
    Wat are you guys doing for early game food if there aren't berries around to forage?

With Love and Courage
    edited July 2014
    You grow a bunch of food in farms, focus on cabbages and pumpkins. You need to turn wheat into bread and booze, and poppy seeds are great for getting high, not so much for eating. Also, tell people to hunt animals but make sure they don't kill all of them. I don't know if the animals repopulate, but at the very least they continually wander in to your village, usually to eat grass and munch on your crops (I've seen no negative effect from this, but that might just be because it's in alpha)

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Ah, that may be my problem.

I keep focusing on wheat. Shit takes sooooo long to grow.

With Love and Courage
    Ah, that may be my problem.

I keep focusing on wheat. Shit takes sooooo long to grow.

And your people can't eat it without cooking it, so even if you have a kitchen how much there is to eat depends on how fast you can cook it all. It's not optimal, but people can eat raw pumpkins and cabbage.

...Anyone else having trouble getting the tool workshop to work?

With Love and Courage
    Wyvern wrote: »

Things currently in the game:

- Fully featured base economy (with some placeholder stuff; mineral resources are found in deposits on the ground. You can't build mines yet).
    - Basic military implementation (no Steam Knight economy yet, though you can build them through a placeholder system)
    - Fish men attacks
    - Embezzlers
    - Drug dealers
    - Estranged opera singers
    - Hunting / Gathering
    - Agriculture
    - Airship supply drops (sans airship graphics)
    - Fully featured base personality system

Things not in the game but presumably will be later:

- Embark choices
    - Options menu
    - Advanced economy stuff (setting up Steam Knight production lines, setting up mines)
    - Graveyards
    - ???

Things that may be in the alpha but I haven't seen it yet:

- Eldritch horrors
    - Artefacts man was never meant to know about
    - Non-euclidean geometry

Also it is kind of unstable. I've had 1 CTD.

Important Addendum:

Okay, so the core game is more or less exactly what I wanted.

The Alpha build currently available showcases the core gameplay, but is not what i would call a 'game' in it's current state. You will plod along for maybe a few hours building stuff, and then something will break and you'll start all over. You cannot build more tools (I haven't tried building new weapons because the default redcoats & their equipment are more than sufficient), so you'll eventually break all of your axes & picks if nothing else & run out of building material. None of the cult gameplay appears to be implemented yet.

Basically, buy this if you want to pre-order. I don't think what's there will do much to tide you over.

With Love and Courage
    Might wait it out in that case, thanks for the report @The Ender!

steam_sig.png
    Clockwork Empires is out in Early Access on Steam!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZMG035ne6E

The game's shaping-up nicely, too. Stockpiles can now be managed, fishmen will become angry if you harvest their eggs, buildings are less quirky (but the interface is still kinda fiddly).

With Love and Courage