As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Another Mouse Thread

MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Games and Technology
I can't seem to find a recent mouse topic so I'll ask here. What would the recommendations be for someone who wants a wireless mouse for mostly surfing, wordprocessing and a little Counterstrike?

I've looked around at reviews but in all honesty I trust the people here more.

Ranmasig5.png
MikeRyu on

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    If you can find one on sale (i've seen them as low as 40$ canadian) the MX Revolution is the most comfortable mouse i've ever used. The DPI is a little low but really unless your one of those crazy goes to all the tournaments competitive frothing at the mouth CS players, it won't matter even for FPS games.
    logitechmxrevside.jpg

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    No I'm very much a casual (terrible) Counterstriker. I've seen that MX Revolution in some reviews and it caught my eye. It does look good. I do really want a wireless mouse but I don't want to be playing a game online and it gives me a lot of hastle. I've never played with a wireless before so I don't know how bad the problem can be.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    RageRage Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I know you said wireless, but I have to throw my suggestion in the hat anyway.

Preface: I'm a legendary IntelliMouse hater and Logitech fan. Logitech has always just gotten it right, with every mouse that I've owned and loved dearly.

However.

I needed a new mouse for work 'cuz lack of 4 & 5 buttons were killing me. Went and checked out the new gear and had planned on getting the next latest and greatest Logitech like the MX Rev shown above.

But, I found the Microsoft Habu..

img436.jpg

- 2000 DPI laser, switch-on-the-fly
    - Teflon glide feet
    - Super-comfortable...and blue glowy. I'm a total sucker for blue glowy shit.

The best feature by far, for me anyway, was the extra set of side buttons. The Habu has an interchangeable mouse4 & 5 button panel, with one set having smaller buttons that are set a little closer up and back to the side of the mouse, and the second panel having longer, bigger side buttons.

I've been so impressed with this thing that I'm picking up another one for home and retiring the old MX1000 to laptop\travel duty.

Rage on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Is laser really preferred over optical? It seemed a little while ago that people were still mostly siding with optical.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    the main reason people were against laser was because many of the first laser mice would shut off the laser if you hit the end of the mousepad and had to lift it up, and take a few precious seconds to come back on when set back down(i'm looking at you mx1000), newer laser mice don't do that.

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    the main reason people were against laser was because many of the first laser mice would shut off the laser if you hit the end of the mousepad and had to lift it up, and take a few precious seconds to come back on when set back down(i'm looking at you mx1000), newer laser mice don't do that.

:? My MX1000 has never done that.

Zek on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Zek wrote: »

:? My MX1000 has never done that.

Never had a problem with mine, and I'm a super-low mouse sens FPS player (1.1 in CS:S for example), so I use big sweeping motions and need a big surface to play on, but even then, the mouse would fall off the XTrac now and then.

Rage on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    i've never actually used an mx1000, so i don't know personally...but that was the big outcry when they were released, and even now a quick google brings up pages and pages of people complaining about it..but no ones suggesting an mx1000 so it doesnt really matter =)

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    zhen_roguezhen_rogue Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Love my Logitech MX610 laser cordless.
    Best mouse i've ever owned, in terms of ergonomics and performance in AutoCAD and heavy gaming alike.

I tried the MX revolution, and hated it.
    The thumb inset feels like it's too far in, almost like you're trying to touch your thumb across to your little finger.

Only drawback to the MX610 = 2 new AA batteries every 3 weeks with 12 hours/day use 6 days/week.

zhen_rogue on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    From what I gather after the MX1000 there was the G7 and then the Revolution. That's the Logitech line-up right?

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    I just bought a second MX Revolution from Dell.ca for $70 CDN during a Dell Deal of the Day (50% off). I love this mouse to death and back.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    schmadsschmads Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    MikeRyu wrote: »
    From what I gather after the MX1000 there was the G7 and then the Revolution. That's the Logitech line-up right?

I think the G7 is still paired with the G5 as their "gamer" mice. I haven't used either, so I'm not at all saying that the Revolution isn't good for gaming, I just get that impression.

Also, I read something recently where the G5 was having a second thumb-button added (the one reason I've stuck with my MX510), but it isn't on Logitech's site. Am I confused?

Edit: I'm seeing reviews listing it as the G5 (2007), so I think it really exists, it just doesn't seem to be on Logitech's site. Weird.

schmads on
    Battle.net/SC2: Kwisatz.868 | Steam/XBL/PSN/Gamecenter: schmads | BattleTag/D3: Schmads#1144 | Hero Academy & * With Friends: FallenKwisatz | 3DS: 4356-0128-9671
  • Options
    gneGnegneGne Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I suggest to go feel on the boo .. errr mice in a store. Just keep in mind that "laser" mice don't add anything.

My recommendations:
    - Razer DeathAdder
    - MS IE 3.0 or 1.1
    - MX 518

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    To tell you the truth I'm not really fussed if it's a laser or not as anything would be better than the one I have now. I'm just after a wireless mouse that will work in a game of CS.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hmph.

Mice. Real men use trackballs:

B00004YMY4.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I happen to be quite taken with this little honey. My only complaint is that the rubber feet came off too easily. So I just used duct tape to act as stand in feet. It's been working pretty well.

EDIT: Oh, and the transparent ball is a plus. It's oh-so-nice.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I used to have a Logitech trackball many years ago. Played a lot of Theme Park with that baby until I had to do four rotations to get from one side of the park to the other.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    There any decent mousepads out there for optical mice specifically? Mine keep roasting the surface of the ones I use.

Meiz on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Logitech is releaseing an update of the G5 that does include a second side button, but I don't think it's out yet.

I have a G7 and love it. I dont' miss the second button at all. Best mouse I've evern owned. I've tried the revolution, and I do say, it's like sex for your hand, although I'm not too sure if I'd like gaming on it. and I'm not a fan of the thumb scroll button.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    zhen_roguezhen_rogue Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Meiz wrote: »
    There any decent mousepads out there for optical mice specifically? Mine keep roasting the surface of the ones I use.

I've had good luck with the ALLSOP textile-covered mousepads.
    The one i'm using now has lasted over two years of heavy gaming and AutoCAD use - with not even a visible wear pattern.

Remarkable.

zhen_rogue on
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'd throw my hat into the trackball ring except, well...

Logitech hasn't updated my baby in years:

129.gif

These days, I want more than three buttons on my mouse. I want at least five. So this thing, it doesn't cut it anymore. Because you know what Logitech did? No, they didn't add more buttons. They released this turd of a trackball:

219.gif

Nevermind that you need to suffer from some form of gigantism to use the thing, but the buttons are ridiculously stiff and awkwardly-placed.

So, I got pushed back to mice. First, the Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer for Bluetooth.

84d9839f-f07a-43cc-89e4-cb571cd205c9_large.jpg

But, its mouse wheel is all kinds of retarded. And it eventually annoyed me to the point of picking up a Logitech MX 518, which is what I'm using now.

6402.jpg

It's a good mouse, but the sensitivity adjustment's not all that useful (you can remap it, though, if you want to suffer through Logitech's awful software), and the application-changing button's worthless. Of course, none of those three buttons are conveniently placed so that they might be mapped to something else useful. You need to do all sorts of uncomfortable hand contorting to press them.

I'm keen on that Habu, though... Might have to pick one up.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    DarkHawkeDarkHawke Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    MechMantis wrote: »
    Hmph.

Mice. Real men use trackballs:

[snip]

I happen to be quite taken with this little honey. My only complaint is that the rubber feet came off too easily. So I just used duct tape to act as stand in feet. It's been working pretty well.

EDIT: Oh, and the transparent ball is a plus. It's oh-so-nice.

Precisely. I've been using this baby:

logitech_trackman_wheel_sto.gif

for a good six months now, and I love it. Really does the job, doesn't take up any space on my desk, and I find I can play FPSs with it perfectly well (DoomLegacy and Halo mostly).

EDIT: Beat'd. Hard.

DarkHawke on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Meiz wrote: »

I dearly, dearly love my XTracPads Hammer.

I've used and also highly recommend (in order):

- fUnc 1030
    - SteelPad 5L
    - IceMat 2

Rage on
  • Options
    ChartChart Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I use the G7. Before that I had the MX510. The G7 is the best mouse I've had. I love it to death. Swapping batteries takes 2 seconds (literally), so even if you're in the middle of playing and your battery dies, you're not fucked. It's comfortable... I just love it. Buy it, and do it now.

Chart on
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Thanks guys, I think I'll order one with the new table I scorched.

Meiz on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Chart wrote: »
    I use the G7. Before that I had the MX510. The G7 is the best mouse I've had. I love it to death. Swapping batteries takes 2 seconds (literally), so even if you're in the middle of playing and your battery dies, you're not fucked. It's comfortable... I just love it. Buy it, and do it now.

Better than the Revolution?

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    I've just been using this one for the past 5 years

20699814.JPG

12$ at Wal Mart

hasn't failed me yet, but it does only have 3 buttons. I'll be replacing it with the same model once I replace some of my PC's parts.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    StregoneStregone VA, USARegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I have an MX1000, but am kind of annoyed about having to charge it every few days, usually at the worst time. I have a bunch of rechargeable AA and AAA batteries, so whats the best mouse out there that uses them?

Stregone on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Chart wrote: »

Better than the Revolution?

I have not tried that one, so ...

Yes.

Chart on
  • Options
    ze swift classze swift class Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I really like my Razer Copperhead, but it's not cooperating with my Vista so very well.

If I had 80 bucks, I'd spend it on this Evoluent mouse.
    mvmlbb_in_hand.gif

ze swift class on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I'm most concerned with a wireless mouse really screwing around with gaming. I'm a casual gamer so am I really going to notice any problems?

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I'm most concerned with a wireless mouse really screwing around with gaming. I'm a casual gamer so am I really going to notice any problems?

I mostly play WoW these days, but there was a time I was playing CS:S with my G7 and there was no problems whatsoever. No lag or anything.

Chart on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    That sounds good then. It just seems to be something that I keep hearing is a big problem and I'd like to get a cordless and not have to buy a another mouse just for the occassional game of CS.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png