As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

now THIS is homestuck

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Lalabox wrote: »
    The longest piece of literature written by a single person is still a smash bros fanfic. And it's over 3 times as long as homestuck.

I thought it was a WWE fanfic? -nvmd, I think that is the oldest continuous fanfic.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    So did we gave Hussie 3 millions dollars just for him to throw it away? Cause it's been so long since that Kickstarter that I nearly forgotten that there's a game on the way.

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    the game is already here

• Options
    bookmark that post so you can come back and read it after it is released

it'll be so great

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    So did we gave Hussie 3 millions dollars just for him to throw it away? Cause it's been so long since that Kickstarter that I nearly forgotten that there's a game on the way.
    It's been like a year, and Kickstarter games are pretty notorious for never meeting deadlines.

I do expect some kind of word from him soon. Publicly he has said nothing since launching Paradox Space, and privately I guess he did the June kickstarter update. We're at nearly ten months since Hussie has even commented on the state of Homestuck.

It's just...weird to go a year with the main site being effectively dead, I guess.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    The site is dead to parallel caliborn's dead session obv

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    People are checking that gif for hidden messages and meanings, right? What have they found?

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Diplominator on
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Kilroy wrote: »
    almost certainly a pony

HE IS NOT A PONY HE IS A MINI-HORSE

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Homestuck has an nda?

• Options
    trying to throw us off the scent

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    How many letters are in her name?

Six

just like certain cherubs

By adding up the letters in her name, we can get the true end date of the gigapause

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Today in Homestuck
    September 13

2009: 1 page. The new hammer has the faces of the hammer backed by springs, which cause it to produce a loud BOING when struck on objects. Rose congratulates John on the discovery, which he explains he got from Harry Anderson. Rose does not know who he is and has never heard of Night Court. John says he's awesome and "that's really all there is to say on the matter!"

2010: No update.

2011: No update.

2012: 2 pages. John starts to fly off the handle at the news that Davesprite broke up with Jade, referring to them as an "institution" "on this miserable road trip". He then switches gears and figure that it was the best for the long-term anyway, after all, "how do things even work if you marry a sprite?" He starts making corresponding hand motions. Jade asks that he stop doing that.

2013: 7 pages. Jade tries to cope with her impending defeat as Jake exclaims, between her lines of dialogue "WIN / ONE / FOR", and then as she is knocked away, "THE GIPPER". She skips across the lava pool and across the landscape, eventually coming to a stop. She is KO'd, and also no longer grimbark.

• Options
    EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
    Not Homestuck, but I put out another Earthen Scar thing tonight
    https://eidolonorpheus.bandcamp.com/album/the-divine-deception
    Wish we had any kind of word from the Huss on Vol. 10...

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    It's been like a year, and Kickstarter games are pretty notorious for never meeting deadlines.

This is one of the biggest problem with crowdfunded games. People (often including the Kickstartees), have no real understanding of how much time and effort actually goes into making a game. There's no way a $3,000,000-budget (or whatever it is after Kickstarter-related expenses) game gets finished in a year, especially not when so much of the preproduction relies on a single person. So people put up this money, not fully realizing that they're currently funding a concept and then complain when the developers don't start delivering. There's a reason games don't typically get announced until they're well under production (and even then, it can take years for them to actually materialize). That said, more frequent updates would certainly help. People are less complainy when you provide (let's say) monthly status reports, even if they aren't substantial.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    I don't know.

MN9 gives out frequent updates, gameplay vids, polls, a freaking beta you can play.

Puppcat sends out storyboards, character designs, video clips.

Homestuck gives us a poorly rendered model of a troll and a 'updates are for poseurs and losers excues'. I have a feeling MSPA The Game is going to be the first, and one of the biggest, failed Kickstarter project to date.

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Nubs mcshouty
    I don't know.

MN9 gives out frequent updates, gameplay vids, polls, a freaking beta you can play.

Well, I'd say the guys behind MN9 have a little more experience than Andrew Hussie when it come to making video games

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    I don't know.

Puppcat sends out storyboards, character designs, video clips.

Homestuck gives us a poorly rendered model of a troll and a 'updates are for poseurs and losers excuses. I have a feeling MSPA The Game is going to be the first, and one of the biggest, failed Kickstarter project to date.

It would be nowhere near the first failed kickstarter project. There have been a ton of those.

But I do agree with you, if I had dropped money on the KS I would be pretty worried by now.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular

Six

By adding up the letters in her name, we can get the true end date of the gigapause

You mean trolls, right? Cherubs have 8-letter names

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    I gave up worrying about kickstarters a long time ago

my caveats are completely empty

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I don't think there's cause at this stage to worry that the homestuck game is falling apart

Granted it's been a while since we've heard anything but June 2014 was always a ridiculously optimistic release date and last time we heard development was chugging along smoothly

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Like, I Kickstarted Pillars of Eternity around 2 years ago. Its set to come out sometime before the end of the year maybe. And thats a game made by a descent sized studio with a lot of experience behind them. These things take time

• Options
    In all honesty, I only donated enough to get the usb drive cause I promised my friend they can have it. I just want that damn stupid USB drive so I can keep my promise.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    In all honesty, I only donated enough to get the usb drive cause I promised my friend they can have it. I just want that damn stupid USB drive so I can keep my promise.

Well that's not coming until the comic is finished anyway, so that's probably not anything to worry about.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    I went in on the minimum, easily worth the time and enjoyment I got from Homestuck itself. Any more tokens of appreciation are contingent on actual delivery, of course :P

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I...legitimately cannot remember if I went in on that or not. Hmm.

Oh, looks like I did! Neat. Went one up from minimum because I wanted the soundtrack.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/246720/
    that's the game the hs gamedev group was working on before hs, which released only 2 months ago
    if anything is worth showing off at this point it is just the planning, and also any game content would likely be considered huge spoilers in this discovery/plot driven type game, unlike in mn9 where they can show everything because the plot, characters, and stages aren't important vs the actual playing of it

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Elaro wrote: »

Six

You mean trolls, right? Cherubs have 8-letter names
    *burns troll horns, raises sord to gut*

Forgive me, Hussie-san

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Today in Homestuck
    September 14

2009: 8 pages, 1 flash: [ S] John: Sleep. John tests the hammer on the imp sitting on the duplicate pogo ride from earlier, sending both the ride and John flying. The ride knocks an imp out of the tree, and Rose catches John with his bed and prevents him from dropping into the hole in his roof. Below, an ogre has found its way into John's house, and another is climbing up the ledge. John asks Rose if she can just "carry the bed around" with him on it but she says that she can't "interact with you directly, or anything that you are touching, if it will result in moving you." John then says he's just going to rest his eyes a bit then, somewhat to Rose's dismay (as Dave is still AWOL). John looks up at the gate high above his house, squints, and falls asleep.
    9/14/2009 Page 2544
    [ S] John: Sleep.
    Original Audio: "Showtime - Sleep/dream sequence" by Bill Bolin ("Showtime" by Malcolm Brown)
    Audio: "John Sleeps" based on "Showtime" by Malcolm Brown, arr. by Toby "Radiation" Fox
    Tired from a busy day of fighting IMPS, you get some SLEEP on a bed conveniently placed on the roof of your HOUSE. You see the FIRST GATE in the skies above as you close your eyes for a well deserved rest.

2010: No update.

2012: No update.

2013: 15 pages, 1 flash: [ S][A6A6I2] ====>. Jane demands that Jake "COME TO YOUR SENSES THIS INSTANT". Aranea explains that because of their fondess for their "human family mem8er", apologizes for what she's about to do, since if Jade wakes up again she'll just be possessed again. Aranea rips all but the bottom-most portion of Jade's house off, causing it to break into pieces as it falls across the lava, and then, onto Jade, klling her. Jake and Jane can only watch. Below her "dead" panel is a helpful SBaHJ graphic with a distorted "WIZORD OF OZ" picture explaining "THIS IS WHAT THE REFRANCE".
    9/14/2013 Page 8552
    [ S][A6A6I2] ====>
    Jade's godtier clock cycles between "heroic" and "just". However, the clock is "manipul8ed" by a certain Sylph of Light. The hand settles on "just". A "lucky 8r8k!!!!!!!!", indeed.
    Dave prepares to say goodbye to the Mayor, saying that he has "a really bad feeling about all this" and that if "i never see you again" he wants him to know that "its been real man". "you were always there for me / you shared my darkest hours / my deepest secrets / and ill never fucking forget it / goodbye mayor". He picks him on the cheek. "i love you" Dave then radios Rose as he makes for a gate. "you might want to get your ass in gear / shits going down on lofaf". "Could you elaborate?" "theres problems" "Then let us bounce."

Today in Homestuck
    September 15

2009: 6 pages. Rose checks out the ALCHEMY EXCURSUS, which has now appeared in her server window to keep track of the punch card combinations that have been found so far. Since John can also punch a card with any arbitrary code, she wonders if she can just send him a code for any old thing. Like, say, a copy of the SBURB BETA SERVER CD. She ejects the disc from her laptop, captchalogues it, and the looks at the back of the card. There does not appear to be a code on the back of it at all, or if there is, it's totally unreadable. She slaps herself in the forehead. Then her generator gives up the ghost, resulting in her other hand joining in for a FACEPALM x2 COMBO.

2010: 3 pages. Aradiabot suddenly appears above the BATTLEFIELD. Shortly thereafter, a veritable army of Aradiabots joins in for the fight against the trolls' utterly monstrous BLACK KING. From two hours and sixteen minutes in the future, Future Aradia kicks off a new memo called "r0ad to the und0ing". Future Aradia says that this memo "will and has already served as a l0g 0f past events f0r future selves t0 rec0rd and a guide 0f future events f0r past selves t0 f0ll0w". She reflects that the whole thing is pretty pointless but since she apparently has to do it she does it anyway. Also, she's bored. Just then Past Aradia (as in, 601 hours ago) butts in to say that she thought they were done "taking 0rders fr0m v0ices!" They agree that back then was a nice enjoy "reprieve fr0m fatalism while it lasted" and move on. Aradia reveals that the army of other Aradiabots are actually Aradias from d00med doomed timelines which, by returning to the past, have been "slated f0r imminent destructi0n" but that's not as a big deal since, well, they're "already dead". Anyway, since Feferi prototyped Gl'bgolyb, their Black King is very massive and wields an array of deadly psychic attacks, which requires the efforts of all the doomed Aradias to counter.

2012: No update.

2013: 9 pages. Jane is, suffice it to say, pissed, but for now she can only promise to annihilate Aranea and heads off. Aranea settles down on what is now the vastly lower roof of Jade's house and notices that Roxy is behind her. "(frick!)" Jane mutters curses to herself as she begins the process to revive Jade. However, as she does so, Gamzee floats in from above.

• Options
    Mark my words, this whole Serket side-event is going to end with Dave going back in time and cutting off Aranea's finger with the Deringer.

"Lord of teh Rongs" reference.

• Options
    Mark my words, this whole Serket side-event is going to end with Dave going back in time and cutting off Aranea's finger with the Deringer.

That would work pretty well. Almost too well.

• Options

Mark my words, this whole Serket side-event is going to remain unresolved because Homestuck will never end.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Today in Homestuck
    September 16

2009: No update.

2010: 12 pages. As Future Aradia's narration continues, it's worth noting the panels are apparently stills from a "♈ SOULBOT VIDEO LOG". Anyway, she figures the reason they ended up with such an nearly-unbeatable boss is due to the "c0llusi0n between the disparate f0rces at play" "a bargain struck between what skaia kn0ws already and what the g0ds demand up fr0nt" to find if the players are indeed worthy of the ULTIMATE REWARD. She notes that although they all had reached the "highest rungs 0f their echeladders", had the best weapons, and bought the best fraymotifs, they still needed Sollux's psychic powers to redirect the meteors at the king and Vriska's extra-lucky dice roll (8 8's, of course) to score a narrow victory. The scene transitions to a platform with all the trolls assembled, surrounded by the army of Aradias. The platform has a Bilious Slick symbol on it, as well as Sgrub symbol with a very literal door. But as Karkat reaches for the door to claim the Ultimate Reward, he is interrupted. Interrupted by "a rift in parad0x space". Aradia claims this rift is to be opened by "f0ur members 0f a fledgling species" playing the game they will and already have played. She says that these rifts are usually benign and can be a useful part of the game, but that the consorts and other game constructs have a different term for these rifts: "a scratch".

2012: 4 pages. "next stop: figuring out mcconaughey is trash" John ceases the hand gestures, but now can't get his mind off ghost butt. Jade notes that at this point it almost seems as if John is "committed to not having a good time". John continues his rant, saying that he hates being stuck on the ship, "pestering" Jade to shrink/un-shrink him, somehow simultaneously hating have to interrupt Jade on her dates with "dave sprite" but complaining that he never gets to hang out with her anymore, and asks if Jade can make the ship go faster. The short answer is "no", but when the subject of relativistic physics comes up Jade is more than happy to oblige ("because i never really get to talk about science"). John rudely cuts her off, saying that physics is "hard and boring" and that "SCIENCE IS STUPID BULLSHIT!!!", apparently as opposed to magic. John's rant/freak-out is then interrupted by a note on his hood. It is a note from Davesprite, in the style of the notes John's Dad used to leave. ("my darling son" "if you are reading this then it means you finally came to your senses on a way shitty movie") Davesprite also notes that John should probably start putting all that shaving cream to use before John's "nigh invisible teen stache" becomes an issue. John crumbles the note. At this point he has flown so far off the rail, it is but a speck in the distance.

2013: 4 pages. Aranea says that Roxy may as well come out of hiding and complements her on the rogue outfit (and partial to the color scheme, to boot). Roxy is nonplussed: "im so fucking flattered / whore you" "I 8EG your pardon?" "u heard me bitch". "Who am I, you ask? That is no short story, I'm afraid." And indeed, she actually begins to launch into the 8eforus stuff when Roxy tells her to can it and asks if that is John's ring. Aranea says hey, it was never actually John's, and besides, it was originally supposed to go to her "young descendant", so it's "only fitting that I wear it, and 8ring additional glory to the Serket name". "yo / thats another insane and smug thing u said just there" and explains that they were going to give the ring to Calliope. Aranea says that while she was the first to theorize about Calliope's role in defeating her brother, that she's no longer necessary to the plan. "oh man / oh man / i way hate you" Aranea tells her to not say "things you can't take 8ack" and that they're just "getting off on the wrong foot here". Roxy says that, no, she really hates her in a way she can't explain. "so yeh um / no that i buttered you up and all gimme dat ring!!" "No." Aranea explains that while Roxy's black solicitation was well done, she finds Roxy too charming to reciprocate. Aranea claims that it is a little "8othersome having people fling themselves at you all the time" and that it's "always been my curse", even saying that Jake "could 8arely keep his hands off" her. Roxy calls her out on it. "I've 8een known to em8ellish now and then". At any rate, Aranea says she can't have an "invisi8le, intangi8le trou8lemaker" running about trying to steal her ring, so it'll be nap time for Roxy. Dirk starts to materialize behind the pair. Roxy passes out.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    For whatever reason, the whole thing with the trolls being wrong is one of my favorite instances of the "unreliable narrator" trope.

• Options
    ZapRatZapRat Mage of Mind A place apartRegistered User regular
    All this talk of Homestuck never ending could give a new purpose to Paradox Space. Maybe some of the guest cartoonists should make up their own endings based on the last canonical updates.

CYDUJ.jpg
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    hey what if i told you homestuck would end tomorrow and all you had to do was bleed a LITTLE onto this stone

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    i'd think it was a hoax because you didn't go out of your way to explicitly mention the color of blood

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    Please, every normal human being has the same blood colour, you don't have to mention it's gotta be cerulean!

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Tell me more of this Bloodstone circle you're constructing, farg.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Throw in every Vriska

Throw in every
    me

This discussion has been closed.