As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Industry Thread] Doom: The Next Generation - Exclusive to the Wii U

Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley...Registered User regular
edited November 2013 in Games and Technology
YqjXGq4.jpg

Review the rules:

•This is about the business of making games. Do not get carried away into side topics like the state of gaming journalism, opinions on particular games, social issues in the industries, and so forth. Those topics are best reserved for other threads.
•STAY ON TOPIC. People going off-topic will likely end up jailed.
•No platforming fighting. The thread does not exist for people to represent their favored platform of gaming.
•You do not get to determine what is appropriate for the thread. If you feel something is off-topic, then report it.
•Do not post VGChartz. They are an unreliable source of data.
•No click-bait shit like top ten lists or Kotaku articles unless it's sales figures.
•REPORT PEOPLE VIOLATING THE RULES. Do not dogpile the person or get into a spat with them. Chances are you'll get infracted right alongside the offender.
•The above does not mean reporting people that disagree with you or called out your bullshit with actual data.
•Speaking of which, claims should be backed up with properly cited figures. Opinion is find, but don't make assertions without evidence and then rabidly defend them.
•This thread is not an uptight business club. As long as you stay chill and don't meander off-topic, you can have a lot of fun discussing this dysfunctional industry.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
PSN - Brainiac_8
Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
Add me!
Brainiac 8 on

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    CoD has produced more radical and innovative elements into its gameplay than the majority of yearly franchises for the past 10 years - including Mario.

I love how you felt the need to bring Mario into it, like I would get all up in arms lol. I also wasn't talking about CoD specifically. The comment on the FPS genre was sort of a hit and run comment because my day was super busy so I didn't really get to expand on it.

But my comment wasn't meant to say that there is no innovation in the genre, which there is, but that the genre as a whole is so soulless anymore because companies just assume that if you make a FPS it'll sell like crazy! Then again, I see the CoD games the Michael Bay of games. All flash, no substance.

But then again, I just don't like FPS, so my opinion is a bit clouded by that. I am however happy that others love playing them and don't fault them at all.

Next time, ask me to explain more instead of just going, "no u lol Mario."

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    What's the point of disabling SwapNote because of offensive pictures but leaving the browser fully functional?

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I actually think there is plenty of innovation in the FPS genre in general, however I can't stand their themes enough to play most of them. I've played two COD games in my life - the first one I don't remember the number of, but I really liked the start of it because I was climbing up ice with ice picks and it really felt awesome - then I got to the shooting it it just sort of flipped to meh. The other was the Wii U game and it starts with a kid burning, moves on to soldiers burning and then quickly to a storage trailer containing a bloody dude, dismembered bodies and flies. Then I quit.

I would like to see more FP and less FPS. I'd love a cave exploration game like that beginning of COD. I've love a police game with the budget of COD and first person perspective, but less swarms of foreigners to shoot and more that you only shoot as a last resort. I think the genre has become stale not in mechanics, but maybe from the point of view that every game seems to start with "You're a soldier" and ends with "With more realistic gore than ever".

• Options
    To be fair, I cannot blame companies for going after that FPS market. They want that cold hard CoD cash money.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    I actually think there is plenty of innovation in the FPS genre in general, however I can't stand their themes enough to play most of them. I've played two COD games in my life - the first one I don't remember the number of, but I really liked the start of it because I was climbing up ice with ice picks and it really felt awesome - then I got to the shooting it it just sort of flipped to meh. The other was the Wii U game and it starts with a kid burning, moves on to soldiers burning and then quickly to a storage trailer containing a bloody dude, dismembered bodies and flies. Then I quit.

I would like to see more FP and less FPS. I'd love a cave exploration game like that beginning of COD. I've love a police game with the budget of COD and first person perspective, but less swarms of foreigners to shoot and more that you only shoot as a last resort. I think the genre has become stale not in mechanics, but maybe from the point of view that every game seems to start with "You're a soldier" and ends with "With more realistic gore than ever".
    You mean you'd like the old SWAT and Rainbow 6 games (before R6 became another spectacle-based shooter)? I'm with you. I saw the commercial for Battlefield 4 last night, and just about every - and I mean every - frame included an explosion of some type. Nothing kills my interest in a game than aping Hollywood.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    CoD has produced more radical and innovative elements into its gameplay than the majority of yearly franchises for the past 10 years - including Mario.

This might literally be the craziest thing I've ever heard

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    BigJoeMBigJoeM Registered User regular
    Beltaine wrote: »
    What's the point of disabling SwapNote because of offensive pictures but leaving the browser fully functional?

Nintendo is far more likely to get bad publicity in the mainstream press for running a service that allows people to swap dirty pictures.

• Options

I totally agree. I always get drawn into the Battlefield games because of the guns. I'm always disappointed when there's really only a cosmetic difference between the majority of them. I'd really like to see an updated S.T.A.L.K.E.R. style game, or maybe blend some survival/horror (but not Left4Dead) into my FPS.

The problem is I'm in the minority, and the majority of the majority wouldn't give two shits about the FPS I'd like to play. So there'd be no (huge amount of) money in it.

XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

They change up various elements of the CoD games with every new iteration. The cheap lazy cash-in known as "New" Super Mario franchise is the same game every year, much like the various EA sports games.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »

They change up various elements of the CoD games with every new iteration. The cheap lazy cash-in known as "New" Super Mario franchise is the same game every year, much like the various EA sports games.

yeah I guess that's true if you only look at one of the Mario series and ignore all the others

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited November 2013

yeah I guess that's true if you only look at one of the Mario series and ignore all the others

Well the talk was of yearly franchises.

edit: Could've sworn the "New" franchise turned into yearly at some point. Oh well, wrong on that front.

reVerse on
  • Options
    bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    BigJoeM wrote: »

Nintendo is far more likely to get bad publicity in the mainstream press for running a service that allows people to swap dirty pictures.

Exactly this. It's not a "won't somebody think of the children" move, it's a "won't somebody think of our corporate image" move.

3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
  • Options

Come on son. Hyperbole of this magnitude doesn't suit you. Level design has always been the bread and butter of the 2D platformer. The art style may not rest well with some, but the level design of the NSMB series shifts pretty drastically with each iteration. NSMBU has some of the best and most well thought out level design of any 2D Mario since SMW. It's not quite the same as just slapping the same game on a disc with a roster update every year. Plus one release every console generation isn't anywhere near what EA does with their sports titles.

Plus the 3D Mario games is where their major ideas go.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options

NSMB: 2006
    NSMB Wii: 2009
    NSMB2/WiiU: 2012

so....

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options

The NSMB series isn't a yearly franchise though...

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options

COD, Madden and Mario have something in common. Their various annual updates are full of features that only seem groundbreaking to people that play the series frequently. Believe it or not, every game in the Madden series makes improvements that are fairly noticeable if you played the prior year. Mario seems like the same game with new powerups but they do make significant improvements each time. I'm sure COD isn't just the same game every year.

It's ridiculous to say any of these gajillion selling series don't truly improve every version, because they do, that's why so many people buy them.

• Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular

I totally agree. I always get drawn into the Battlefield games because of the guns. I'm always disappointed when there's really only a cosmetic difference between the majority of them. I'd really like to see an updated S.T.A.L.K.E.R. style game, or maybe blend some survival/horror (but not Left4Dead) into my FPS.

The problem is I'm in the minority, and the majority of the majority wouldn't give two shits about the FPS I'd like to play. So there'd be no (huge amount of) money in it.

If the Occulus Rift takes off, I fully expect an increase in the variety of First Person games.

• Options
    Wii Mini confirmed for North America release mid-November

People not buying your new console? People confusing the new console with the old console? Release a new version of the old console for a third the price of the new one! Fucking brilliant!

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    What a strange thing to release. The mini idea was terrible already and as far as I know, it didn't do well then. Why release it now?

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options

People not buying your new console? People confusing the new console with the old console? Release a new version of the old console for a third the price of the new one! Fucking brilliant!

There are times that I wonder if Nintendo thinks it's just in their best interest to confuse the hell out of the market.

• Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    I didn't realize the mini wasn't already released in NA.

Also, I keep clicking this thread thinking it's the Doom thread.

• Options
    I actually was thinking about buying a Wii for the exercise room and that would be tempting, but the lack of Netflix rules it out for us. It too bad, I like the form factor of it. I think we may jump on the $40 Black Friday used ones instead.

• Options
    Someone maybe shop Pachter's head into a Cacodemon?

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    What a strange thing to release. The mini idea was terrible already and as far as I know, it didn't do well then. Why release it now?

Especially since Nintendo has stopped Wii production in Japan and Europe already.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    BigJoeM wrote: »

I feel like saying a more PR version of "Get fucked, cell phones have done this for a decade," would be entirely accurate and mostly effective.

Very little though. Modern warfare 1 is the last time CoD really did anything impressive. Well, and arguably Nazi zombies in WAW (IIRC?)

• Options
    Maybe this is just backstock they're hoping to get rid of.

XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular

Because with Swapnote you can actually send someone a picture of anything. It's not to stop people from looking at bad things, it's to stop people from having bad things sent to them unsolicited.

I am friends with 100 PA people. I could take a 3D picture of my junk and send it to all of them en masse with one click, their 3DS gets a little green dot on the Swapnote icon, they say oh hey, I have a new message, I'm so excited to see what it is. And they open it and there is Sporky's junk. There isn't a report button or any way to complain about it to prevent that sort of thing. They could unfriend me, but they've still seen my junk. And Nintendo has no way to ban my 3DS from Swapnote because it's not like there's an account for it or anything.

With the internet you have to go searching for something bad, it's not automatically delivered to you.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    If that Wii Mini had online capability I might have picked it up.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options

Because with Swapnote you can actually send someone a picture of anything. It's not to stop people from looking at bad things, it's to stop people from having bad things sent to them unsolicited.

I am friends with 100 PA people. I could take a 3D picture of my junk and send it to all of them en masse with one click, their 3DS gets a little green dot on the Swapnote icon, they say oh hey, I have a new message, I'm so excited to see what it is. And they open it and there is Sporky's junk. There isn't a report button or any way to complain about it to prevent that sort of thing. They could unfriend me, but they've still seen my junk. And Nintendo has no way to ban my 3DS from Swapnote because it's not like there's an account for it or anything.

With the internet you have to go searching for something bad, it's not automatically delivered to you.

When you put it that way it does make more sense. I couldn't see the forest for the trees.

XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Yeah compared to their colossal effort them keeping Miiverse clean, Swapnote is left virtually free. Like what someone said in the 3DS thread Nintendo probably didn't want to spend the resources to maintain or fix an online service ripe for abuse, and Miiverse is probably coming to the 3DS for replace it anyways.

Also the 3DS web browser is really, really shitty.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I can't wait to see the Wii U get outsold by the Mini this holiday season!

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular

When you put it that way it does make more sense. I couldn't see the forest for the trees.

Try adjusting the 'depth' slider, it's probably too high.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited November 2013

You're acting like this is some new thing. Nintendo has a history of releasing new models of old hardware at inexpensive prices once the successor consoles hit the marketplace.

320px-NES-101-Console-Set.jpg320px-SNES-Model-2-Set.jpg

Sony did it as well:

320px-PSone-Console-Set-NoLCD.jpg

Plus the multitudes of variations of the PS2 "Slim" hardware.
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

I wouldn't be surprised, and this is exactly why the Wii Mini exists. If people are still buying Wii consoles, why not offer a new variation with the maximum amount of profit margins?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Yeah but all those revisions preformed the same functions the original consoles did.

This thing comes with a Mario Kart game where online play is the big feature, and the machine doesn't offer any online functionality.

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    But the Wii Mini just seems so castrated of features, I thought it was just a smaller Wii but after looking it up it lacks online capability, no Gamecube support, no SD card slot, and no component video outputs. That they are bundling the mini with Mario Kart Wii with no online seems weird, though you can say people care more about local multiplayer when it comes to Mario Karts.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited November 2013

You're acting like this is some new thing. Nintendo has a history of releasing new models of old hardware at inexpensive prices once the successor consoles hit the marketplace.

Sony did it as well:

I wouldn't be surprised, and this is exactly why the Wii Mini exists. If people are still buying Wii consoles, why not offer a new variation with the maximum amount of profit margins?

There is a solid difference here, though.

none of those mini/slim post-generational releases came out when the current gen system was struggling. It is entirely possible that this Wii mini could cause further harm to the Wii U's chances, since it will let people who didn't play twilight princess/skyward sword last gen get that new cheap option to supplement their xbox one or ps4 purchase.

Sure, nintendo makes some money, and making money is good. But I think anything that gives people a nintendo option other than their current gen consoles at the moment has rather catastrophic long term issues.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Allforce wrote: »
    Yeah but all those revisions preformed the same functions the original consoles did.

This thing comes with a Mario Kart game where online play is the big feature, and the machine doesn't offer any online functionality.

Well, there are some differences like the NES-101 not offering A/V output, but this is a low-cost, high-profit machine. The audience that's buying this likely doesn't even know that the original Wii hardware is capable of connecting to the internet.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Allforce wrote: »

This is why I think the thing is absolutely silly. I think if it at least had online capabilities and Netflix access, I might buy one solely as a Netflix box...but it can't even do that. It's just superfluous.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    syndalis wrote: »

Sony did it as well:

There is a solid difference here, though.

none of those mini/slim post-generational releases came out when the current gen system was struggling. It is entirely possible that this Wii mini could cause further harm to the Wii U's chances, since it will let people who didn't play twilight princess/skyward sword last gen get that new cheap option to supplement their xbox one or ps4 purchase.

Sure, nintendo makes some money, and making money is good. But I think anything that gives people a nintendo option other than their current gen consoles at the moment has rather catastrophic long term issues.

That's really the thing. They're basically undercutting the Wii U, when they're already in a pretty desperate position with the Wii U. If they're not just trying to maximize short term sales, I have no idea what their strategy with re-releasing a gimped Wii would be.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    my one problem with the wii was that it was too big and too online, this is perfect for me

:rotate: x infinite

Dehumanized on
This discussion has been closed.