As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Game for predicting video game sales

ArbiterArbiter Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Games and Technology
Is anyone here playing the simExchange? It is the video game prediction market (a prediction game using stock market mechanics). I've been in the beta since it started and it's still addicting fun.

Currently the Wii is predicted to win this generation, with 63.61 million units sold globally. The Xbox 360 is predicted to be in second, with 52.34 million units sold globally. The P3 is in third with 52.05 million units. There are also over a hundred games listed that you can make predictions on.

You get 1 million DKP (the currency on the simExchange) for signing up and you can start buying stocks in games you think will sell more than the current prediction and short stocks in games you think will sell less than the current prediction. The stock prices are the predicted global sales, so Halo 3, priced at 877.64 DKP right now, means the market is predicting 8.78 million copies sold globally. 1 DKP stock price = 10,000 copies sold.

They also list each game by system so you can trade the Xbox 360 version of Assassin's Creed against the PS3 version of Assassin's Creed.

It is a pretty cool way of getting an idea of how many copies the public thinks a game will sell and a fun way to learn about the stock market.

Arbiter on

• Options
    DesertBoxDesertBox Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    This is pretty cool. It does seem that this market is even more hype-based than the actual stock market (which is saying a lot). It seems like once the game is released its "stock" can't be bolstered up by good results, ie. good reviews/sales.

DesertBox on
  • Options
    DesertBoxDesertBox Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I see you're the second "wealthiest" person in this thing. Made 8 times what your started with?

DesertBox on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    DesertBox wrote: »
    I see you're the second "wealthiest" person in this thing. Made 8 times what your started with?

Yeah I've been on it for months. It is a lot easier to make "money" on the simExchange than in the real stock market right now cause gamers who are in the news have a huge edge verse fanboys who just buy games they like at any price.

There has been a trend of over optimism and so games get shorted when NPD sales numbers emerge as many people think games sell way more copies than they really do. There are still lots of games that go up after the game is released, such as Gears of War. People really didn't expect it to sell quite as many copies as it has. Yoshi's Island DS is one stock that has been quickly rising after strong initial sales numbers.

Arbiter on
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I've always had an interest in financial stuff, so I'll give this a go.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    jayenjayen Registered User new member
    edited April 2007
    I've been playing thesimExchange for a couple of months now and it gives you a different way to share your favorite past time with like like minded gamers.

jayen on
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I figured out exactly what short selling is today thanks to this. I had an idea, but now I'm sure.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I figured out exactly what short selling is today thanks to this. I had an idea, but now I'm sure.

Yeah, the simExchange is really good for learning about the stock market cause they try to simulate a real stock market, even though all the stocks are for predicting video game sales.

After you learn from it a bit, you can use the simExchange to help with real investing because the skill translates over AND you can use the game predictions to get an edge at evaluating real video game company stocks. For example, if Wall Street is not expecting a game to do much for the bottom line of a company, but then you can see from the simExchange that the game is actually predicted to be a huge seller, buying stock in the real company could be a good idea.

Arbiter on