As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Club Nintendo: R.I.P. 2008-2015

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Yeah, load up the Wii inside the Wii U, redeem the code, then exit, go to the Wii U's eShop, and there should be an option to "upgrade" it to the Wii U for a fee

• bfickybficky Registered User regular
    Cool, thanks. I couldn't figure out a way that the Wii shop would get associated with my WiiU eShop account, but I guess since it's on the same console, the two are linked.

Copy/pasted from some nintendo forum: "You can, but to have all the Wii U features, it's kind of a long process. You need to perform the Wii to Wii U transfer (I recommend Nintendo's guide here) to get all your VC games into the Wii emulator in the Wii U. Now your VC games are on your Wii U, but not as Wii U applications. To get them as Wii U applications, you need to pay a fee ($1 for NES, $1.50 for SNES) to upgrade. This upgrade system only works for VC titles on both Wii and Wii U VC, so Super Mario World falls under this upgrade system, but not, say, Chrono Trigger."

Cool, not as bad as I thought.

PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Yeah, transferring is strictly from one physical console to another. If you had transferred Wii stuff to Wii U, it would reside in the Wii emulator. It's all just your stuff on the one console, and the Wii U recognizes that you own it and are buying the upgrade.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Plus you're discounting the people who own Wii and 3DS, and are registering 3DS games and picking up Wii VC with those coins. In fact with their comparitive sales I'd imagine there are a lot of people in that situation.

This is me exactly. Too bad Kirby 3 wasn't a Wii reward, I could have spent coins for the first time in months. It's rather stupid that they don't just have each chosen reward pickable for each applicable console, but they've been exactly this stupid for forever, so it's hardly surprising.

• TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Good intentions, sloppy execution. Sounds like how Nintendo handles most everything that isn't one of their actual games.

TDawg on
    NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    bficky wrote: »
    Cool, thanks. I couldn't figure out a way that the Wii shop would get associated with my WiiU eShop account, but I guess since it's on the same console, the two are linked.

Copy/pasted from some nintendo forum: "You can, but to have all the Wii U features, it's kind of a long process. You need to perform the Wii to Wii U transfer (I recommend Nintendo's guide here) to get all your VC games into the Wii emulator in the Wii U. Now your VC games are on your Wii U, but not as Wii U applications. To get them as Wii U applications, you need to pay a fee ($1 for NES, $1.50 for SNES) to upgrade. This upgrade system only works for VC titles on both Wii and Wii U VC, so Super Mario World falls under this upgrade system, but not, say, Chrono Trigger."

This kind of abomination of a "system" makes me wonder how many generations will it take until Nintendo catches up to the PS3 and 360

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular

This kind of abomination of a "system" makes me wonder how many generations will it take until Nintendo catches up to the PS3 and 360

Does PS4 or Xbox One support the digital titles from last gen yet? I was under the impressiom they never will, but I dont follow those systems. Being able to upgrade some of your VC is better than none of it. The eshop may be archaic for many reasons, but I wouldnt call this one of them.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    McFlynn wrote: »

Does PS4 or Xbox One support the digital titles from last gen yet? I was under the impressiom they never will, but I dont follow those systems. Being able to upgrade some of your VC is better than none of it. The eshop may be archaic for many reasons, but I wouldnt call this one of them.

They don't. Well, there's PlayStation Now, but the less said about that the better.

Granted it would be nice if everything automatically worked, but at least the last-gen stuff gets gamepad upgrades when they're upported.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular

People are always quick to throw out the comparison to the PS4 and XBO's lack of backwards compatibility, but that's really apples and oranges. Re-releasing these VC games has a lot more in common with PS1 classics. When I bought MGS1 for my PS3, I didn't have to buy it again at full price to play on my PSP, or pay an upgrade charge to play it on the Vita. Also, some developers are choosing not to charge their customer's again when they port their game to PS4 (OlliOlli and Flower come to mind, but I think there might be a few others). On Nintendo platforms, cross-buy isn't even an option.

I've personally nearly stopped buying VC games. I've done WiiU upgrades for my old Wii stuff, but that's about it. The only VC games on my 3DS were freebies (Ambassador, Club Nintendo). I would buy a lot more if they set it up so I could pay once to play on WiiU and 3DS with a shared save file.

Dirty wrote: »

People are always quick to throw out the comparison to the PS4 and XBO's lack of backwards compatibility, but that's really apples and oranges. Re-releasing these VC games has a lot more in common with PS1 classics. When I bought MGS1 for my PS3, I didn't have to buy it again at full price to play on my PSP, or pay an upgrade charge to play it on the Vita. Also, some developers are choosing not to charge their customer's again when they port their game to PS4 (OlliOlli and Flower come to mind, but I think there might be a few others). On Nintendo platforms, cross-buy isn't even an option.

I've personally nearly stopped buying VC games. I've done WiiU upgrades for my old Wii stuff, but that's about it. The only VC games on my 3DS were freebies (Ambassador, Club Nintendo). I would buy a lot more if they set it up so I could pay once to play on WiiU and 3DS with a shared save file.

We're basically on the same page with VC games, I only own ones I got free. I'm also on the same page as the cross-buy issue, but I feel comparing PS3 to PS4 and Wii to WiiU is fair. Although it is extremely awesome of some devs to give the upgrade for free, I bet it's because they're gamers too and understand how lame it is to not have BC digital content.

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »

We're basically on the same page with VC games, I only own ones I got free. I'm also on the same page as the cross-buy issue, but I feel comparing PS3 to PS4 and Wii to WiiU is fair. Although it is extremely awesome of some devs to give the upgrade for free, I bet it's because they're gamers too and understand how lame it is to not have BC digital content.

I think it just makes good business sense to have digital content carry over, even if you aren't physically backward compatible.

People aren't going to want to throw away an entire library of content. They're going to stay within your console family to retain access to the dozens of games they've bought. I will never get rid of my 360, I have some great games on there.

Yeah, I never bothered transferring what little WiiWare I own because if I have to switch to Wii Mode to play MegaMan 9 anyway, I might as well keep it on my Wii and have a reason to keep it.

And I kind of just gave up on my 360 digital content. The absolute most important game I have on Steam anyway. Its not like I don't have a hundred other games to play.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    So I just got a bonus Club Nintendo survey regarding Amiibo.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    So I just got a bonus Club Nintendo survey regarding Amiibo.

Got it as well. Let them have a piece of my mind about the butter stick situation.

• Emperor_ZEmperor_Z Registered User regular
    Huh, I didn't get one. Pity, I had some stuff to say regarding the figure design and the supply. Nothing that others won't have said, but it helps to repeat it.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I got the survey, and despite not owning any amiibo I made sure to inform them of the complaints you guys have voiced on here about butter sticks, designs (Link facing downward), and supply issues when they asked about why I haven't purchased any yet. Definitely helps to voice our opinions, so they understand why we react the way we do when they think they're doing something great or something we'd enjoy.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I understand that Nintendo probably didn't realize how big they would become, but I really wish they would ramp up production on some of the more rare characters. I would love to have a Marth, but I'm not paying ebay prices for one.

I don't remember Disney infinity or Skylanders having such hard to find characters, but then again I never followed them at all.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Yeah, at this point it's going to be a downward spiral of each wave getting sold to desperate collectors and eBayers as quickly as it's available unless Nintendo starts carpet-bombing us with the things.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
    It means that I'll be pre-ordering the ones I think will be rare and hope against hope that they don't look like hot garbage. :(

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    The biggest thing they need to do is communicate. Are we getting more? Yes? Then fine, we can wait through the Christmas rush and pick them up again when they're available. No? Why not? People are looking for them, why won't they make more? I don't understand why companies allow their products see a 400% markup on eBay before assuring potential customers that they will provide more stock.

Also, Nintendo should just plain make them available in their store for the less demanded characters that retailers no longer wish to carry. Allow us to buy them from Amazon or Nintendo direct at least.

edit: This should apply to the Gamecube adapter/controllers as well. It's ridiculous. Give us some information Nintendo!

For those who didn't follow Skylanders, there were definitely runs on a lot of the different characters. I had been trying to get one of each element, and stores would be sold out of certain elements all the time (as the game only provided you 2, so those 2 elements were always easily found). I had to travel to multiple stores over a few weeks to finally find a character for each one. Even then I didn't get some of the ones I wanted, but settled for something from that element.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Whelp, tried to do my part. Asked Nintendo of Canada for a statement (and asked specifically about Marth, Villager, and WFT) but it was just as vague. What's the beeg seekrit, Nintendo?
    Nintendo wrote:
    Some amiibo were very popular at launch, and it is possible that some amiibo in the United States, Canada and Latin America may not be available right now due to high demand and our efforts to manage shelf space during the launch period. Certain sold-out amiibo may return to these markets at a later stage. We are continually aiming to always have a regular supply of amiibo in the marketplace and there are many waves of amiibo to come.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Yep, posted that last week, and urged people to tell Nintendo via social media what they want. Squeaky wheel and all that. Also addressed some questions which Nintendo really needs to answer on this stuff.

Also: I didn't get the amiibo survey. =(

Oh, on a thread-related note: I asked a Nintendo CSR about whether you could get coins for registering more than one 3DS XL, and they said you do. I wasn't sure about that, as I thought you didn't, but did they change that?

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    edited December 2014
    I registered both mine and my wife's XLs to my club account last October.

Edit: I posted a screengrab from my phone but apparently I have my resolution set as gigantic.

Double edit:

Do you get club coins for upgrading Wii VC games? Also, do you get points for Nintendo's digital deluxe promo for upgrading? If so, is it like 10 points for the upgrade fee?

McFlynn on
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    But did you get Coins for both?

And I think you get them for VC upgrades and DD promo, but I'm not certain.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I understand that Nintendo probably didn't realize how big they would become, but I really wish they would ramp up production on some of the more rare characters. I would love to have a Marth, but I'm not paying ebay prices for one.

I don't remember Disney infinity or Skylanders having such hard to find characters, but then again I never followed them at all.
    Infinity wasn't too bad - there are a few that are harder to find now (Violet and Syndrome from the Incredibles) but otherwise they kept up. However, at least the first year of Skylanders was FULL of scalping. We didn't do either, we just started Infinity, but I remember plenty of parents complaining about the situation.

• PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    stealth elf for skylanders was a pain for a while. what i don't get is why they are staggering the release of some of these amiibos? seems like you'd want to have as many available as possible for the holiday buys.

edited December 2014
    But did you get Coins for both?

Yes, I got coins for both. (Only reason I made platinum last year.) I received coins for both of them on October 5, 2013, so I even registered them at the same time.

McFlynn on
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    what i don't get is why they are staggering the release of some of these amiibos? seems like you'd want to have as many available as possible for the holiday buys.

Ignoring the cost of production, I think the main reason is because these things are huge. Each individual package takes up a ton of space; most peg hooks will only hold like three or four comfortably. There are 49 characters in Smash if I counted right (ignoring Mii Fighters). Even split in half there is no way the shelf space requirements would have been insane. Even split into thirds it would still be a huge shelf hog — especially since Skylanders and Infinity are already out there. Broken up into several waves of 6-7 characters each seemed like the only sane way.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Pailryder wrote: »
    what i don't get is why they are staggering the release of some of these amiibos? seems like you'd want to have as many available as possible for the holiday buys.

Ignoring the cost of production, I think the main reason is because these things are huge. Each individual package takes up a ton of space; most peg hooks will only hold like three or four comfortably. There are 49 characters in Smash if I counted right (ignoring Mii Fighters). Even split in half there is no way the shelf space requirements would have been insane. Even split into thirds it would still be a huge shelf hog — especially since Skylanders and Infinity are already out there. Broken up into several waves of 6-7 characters each seemed like the only sane way.

Plus consumer psychology. If you release everything at once, people start adding up the cost of all those Amiibos and could back off. But if you stagger them, the cost seems less and people are more likely to go "what the hell, may as well buy Fox while I'm at it."

I keep seeing Donkey Kongs everywhere. Nintendo assumed he would be a bigger seller than he was it looks like.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    I keep seeing Donkey Kongs everywhere. Nintendo assumed he would be a bigger seller than he was it looks like.

That's weird. I had seen some armchair attempts at trying to figure Amiibo rarity that pegged him as semi-rare.

cloudeagle wrote: »

That's weird. I had seen some armchair attempts at trying to figure Amiibo rarity that pegged him as semi-rare.

They might be right. I haven't seen DK at every store, but when I do see him the pegs are full. He might be semi-rare but without the demand.

• IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Anyone know why I only got 60 coins for Captain Toad Treasure Tracker download version when it says I'd get 70 coins for registering the physical copy? I'm pretty sure I did the intent to buy for both retail and download versions.

Edit: nm I think I just need to wait a week for the Post Play survey for the last 10 coins.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I also just redeemed another Deluxe Digital Promotion credit. Even not using the eShop a lot I still managed to generate $25 worth of codes in a year. The free digital bonus games( Game & Wario and Pikmin 3) plus all the Club Nintendo WiiU VC codes redeemed were actually the bulk of my digital purchases. Turned out to be a pretty good deal.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
    I was 9 dollars away from another eshop voucher, so I bought two Mega Man games and I'll buy a third one with the voucher.

I got 20 dollars of vouchers this year without really trying.

• b1rdmanb1rdman Registered User regular
    I got 15 bucks without trying, and think I may be able to make another 5 before it is over, just need to find something to buy.

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 1118-0304-5441 | PSN: b1rdman385 | steam:b1rdman385 | BattleTag(Diablo 3): Marticus#1981 | NNID: b1rdman
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Incindium wrote: »
    I also just redeemed another Deluxe Digital Promotion credit. Even not using the eShop a lot I still managed to generate $25 worth of codes in a year. The free digital bonus games( Game & Wario and Pikmin 3) plus all the Club Nintendo WiiU VC codes redeemed were actually the bulk of my digital purchases. Turned out to be a pretty good deal.

Yeah I'm about the same as you. I got 4 codes, $20.

I got one fairly early on with a lot of early digital games that were pretty great: Trine 2, Zen Pinball 2, Nano Assault Neo, The Cave, and some VC.

Pikmin 3 and Game & Wario that I got for free gave me two, and then D&D Chronicles, Ducktales Remastered, Pushmo World, and Hyrule Warriors/Mario Kart 8 DLC got me the last one.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Anything that I bought at release I bought digitally. I also bought quite a few things that I knew I would get around to eventually if they were on sale.

I got... I got a lot out of the ddp.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I just added it up - I've gotten about $175 of eShop credit out of the DDP.

Damn I buy a lot of stuff.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Incindium wrote: »

Yeah I'm about the same as you. I got 4 codes, $20.

I got one fairly early on with a lot of early digital games that were pretty great: Trine 2, Zen Pinball 2, Nano Assault Neo, The Cave, and some VC.

Pikmin 3 and Game & Wario that I got for free gave me two, and then D&D Chronicles, Ducktales Remastered, Pushmo World, and Hyrule Warriors/Mario Kart 8 DLC got me the last one.

I've earned five, soon to be six when I grab Thomas Was Alone next week (been waiting to have time off from work). I've redeemed six already, but since almost all of that extra one was the free WWHD I got from Mario Kart 8 I don't really count it.

Zen Pinball 2 has been a recurring source thanks to all of the tables I've purchased. I've got almost two full credits out of just that (979).

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social