Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

The PA Report - How do you steal 30,000 Steam keys? First, have no soul

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin

imageThe PA Report - How do you steal 30,000 Steam keys? First, have no soul

This is a great piece of reporting by Patrick Klepek, and I always wonder what the people stealing all this content think when they read about their work. Do they care at all? Do they even think about the person at the other end of the line?

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• JeverageJeverage Registered User regular
    Sometimes people do amazing things that make me feel great.

Other times, this happens.

• dbrowdydbrowdy Registered User regular
    "There's no such thing as bad publicity." Hopefully this is a net gain for him.

• MysterialMysterial Registered User regular
    It doesn't "feel like theft", it is theft. By reselling keys they aren't supposed to have they are intercepting money customers intend to reach the developers and taking it for themselves. It's no less stealing then robbing someone on the street.

• FrenchToastWaffleFrenchToastWaffle Registered User regular
    This hands down seems worse than piracy to me. Not only did they steal thousands of Steam keys, but they stole them from a company that was trying to do a good thing in order to (I assume) make a profit for themselves. Pirates are scummy and disgusting, but this is on another level.

• iamnamelessiamnameless Registered User regular
    "That goes beyond piracy. That is stealing."
    Could it be that in crazy rush to differentiate between the two, the line got completely blurred? Piracy IS stealing. If you try to justify one, it will inevitably justify the other.

• MutonMuton Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Some people are capable of dehumanizing bad things when done on a large scale; it's weird but it's true.

Steal one key and it's a tragedy. Steal 30,000 keys, it's a statistic.

-paraphrased from a quote attributed, but never proven, to Joseph Stalin.

Muton on
  • GunganGungan Registered User regular
    The difference is that people who pirate something aren't making money from resale of that something, unless they're making bootleg copies.

• rpmourarpmoura Registered User regular
    So, it was obviously a ginger.

• moranarmoranar Santiago, ChileRegistered User regular
    Just bought the Blackwell bundle on Steam for $20. I really like to be able to put my money where my mouth is.

• RubicantRubicant Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    I'm not sure how I would define this. The closest thing I can think of would be someone linking the game for download off of their servers, and charging money specifically for the download. That is copyright infringement of the worst sort, and it shouldn't be tolerated. This is not piracy in any way, shape, or form. Even pirates think directly profiting off of the work of other people is a shitty thing to do.

@Iamnameless

No, piracy is copyright infringement, stealing is theft. Just because you fail to see the obvious doesn't make it the same thing, and one does not justify the other.

Rubicant on
  • TransientMindTransientMind Registered User regular
    I'm honestly surprised Steam/Valve doesn't take a harder stance on the sale of keys which have been reported stolen. Like... 'buyer beware'.
    Just make it really well known on the 'enter your key' page that if you got this key from anywhere other than the publisher/developer directly, or Steam directly, you run the risk of it being a stolen key, and if it is found to be such, it won't activate and you'll have lost your money.

As it is, I think the guys who did Natural Selection 2 and had a bunch of shady fraudulently-purchased (stolen credit card) keys go out ended up replacing the keys (without getting a penny for it) for the folks who had gone to some dodgy Russian key-site.

If you're doing the digital equivalent of buying shit that 'fell off the back of a truck' you should really expect (and deserve) to get burned.

• raindog469raindog469 Registered User regular
    "How do you steal 30,000 Steam keys? First, have no soul"

Oh, so the only people who can't do it are people with delusions of the metaphysical. Thanks for clearing that up.

• Michael_SweatMichael_Sweat AtlantaRegistered User regular
    I don't understand how anyone can ever complain about the humble bundles. Every game on there is potentially free if you adjust the sliders to all charity. Complaining that you're not getting enough copies of something someone is giving you for free is disgusting to me.

• ParatechParatech Registered User regular
    I liked to give away duplicate keys from bundles to games I already had. I dunno if I'll buy from the Humble Bundle again or not, but they can do what they want to do and I can do what I want to do.

I have the Blackwell bundle on GOG, but I did want the 'free steam key' for one of the games and was disappointed I couldn't get one. At least I purchased games from them.

• RapzidRapzid Registered User regular
    There is an important business lesson in there. Maybe Gamasutra will have a real article instead of a pity piece.

• BrinkmanBrinkman Registered User regular
    A bunch of weird 'ugh' worthy comments in here. Keep it up guys!

It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. -Thomas Jefferson
  • nimzynimzy Registered User regular
    @Transientmind

If Steam finds out you used a stolen key they ban you from the service.

• davechudavechu Registered User regular
    This kind of piracy is a double whammy. They are taking keys from other people, then selling them to make a profit. If you think this incident is not unethical I'm not sure what to say...

• PrimesghostPrimesghost Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    It bears mentioning that in the article Dave Gilbert, the game dev, states that after this he will most liekely never again try any kind of promotion like this. It also should be noted that the entire fiasco could have been avoided by his first solution to the problem, simply remove the bundled Steam codes and keep allowing the DRM-Free version to be downloaded for free from his personal site. Unfortunately this option was ruined for everyone by a mass of whiny, selfish toolbags:

'“The backlash was immediate,” he said. “People really wanted to play this game in their Steam client, even though it was a freebie. They didn’t like the non-DRM version, which they could play on their desktop. They wanted it on Steam. I was getting a lot of angry emails about this, even though it was free!'

Primesghost on
  • raykremerraykremer Registered User regular
    "People really wanted to play this game in their Steam client, even though it was a freebie. They didn’t like the non-DRM version, which they could play on their desktop. They wanted it on Steam. I was getting a lot of angry emails about this, even though it was free!"

I'll say it again, this bizarre monopoly grip that Steam has over a lot of gamers strikes me as very, very creepy. I used to think Steam was just a glorified online game store but apparently there's some sort of mind control built in to ensure that players refuse to leave the system.

• iamnamelessiamnameless Registered User regular
    @PRIMESGHOST:
    That part is just...
    Well, it proves that in this day and age, if you are making videogames because you are passionate about it, you should never expect any appreciation.

• salad10203salad10203 Registered User regular
    @RAINDOG469:

I bet you are the life of the party.

• xaoxao Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    @Reykremer

I think there's value in the collation of a collection, be it books or video games, especially if you do a lot of removal and reinstallation to save space. Steam offers a useful service in that regard.

[EDIT:] That said, no, I don't see getting upset at a developer who offers games over a different channel.

xao on
  • Michael_SweatMichael_Sweat AtlantaRegistered User regular
    I agree that I'm not interested in installing most games if its not through Steam, but i'm also not about to complain because someone is giving away a DRM-free version for free. That's like someone giving you a free bottle of soda, and bitching because you wanted it in a can. I might say no thanks to the bottle, but i'm not going to demand you go get me a can.

• simlandsimland Registered User regular
    Can you please never link to that terrible ibtimes website again? Especially, when their article is just citing The Escapist and quoting facebook posts, essentially providing no value add. I have a certain amount of trust on links you provide Ben.

• DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    The backlash was immediate,” he said. “People really wanted to play this game in their Steam client, even though it was a freebie. They didn’t like the non-DRM version, which they could play on their desktop. They wanted it on Steam. I was getting a lot of angry emails about this, even though it was free!'

I'll say it again, this bizarre monopoly grip that Steam has over a lot of gamers strikes me as very, very creepy. I used to think Steam was just a glorified online game store but apparently there's some sort of mind control built in to ensure that players refuse to leave the system.

It's sloth, nothing more. Convenience is the easiest way to bind a customer. The funny thing is, that downloading the free version and manually adding the game to the steam client would be much faster than complaining to the maker of the game. Shows that the self entitled whiners are silly geese as well.

Dratatoo on
  • CosmicMuffetCosmicMuffet Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    @simland Seconding. Let's at least trace the linkbait back to the source! Those guys humped all day in a hot server to bring you the freshest link bait, and if you don't give them the direct hits and comments for it, it's practically stealing.

(I guess it's already edited to be the right one or something?)

CosmicMuffet on
  • HeadhunterHeadhunter Registered User regular
    @Dratatoo Steam does deserve some credit for providing gamer engagement through achievements, friends' lists and other features...but I do agree that Steam has a dominant mind share with many PC gamers.

"Perception is reality." -unknown