As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Extended warranties and Futureshop (360 related)

HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Games and Technology
My 360 died last night with blinking red lights and tonight I will be returning it to Futureshop since I had bought the extended warranty.

Has anyone of you guys gone through the extended warranty thing with futureshop? What can I expect? Should I keep the hard drive with me?

My system is only 6 months so should I call Microsoft instead?

Handkor on

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I would use microsoft because the wxtended warrenty you bought from futurshop only covers one repair over the lifetime of the machine. So if you use it now, you are up a creek if something breaks later on.

Disco11 on
    PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    This is what I was reading while searching on the web.

I'll call microsoft tonight, how long do they take anyway with the repair/exchange?

Handkor on
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Never had it happen to me, but it took like two weeks for a friend of mine.

Disco11 on
    PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Well I called Futureshop just to confirm how they would handle it and one store the girl told me they would exchange it immediately but she wasn't sure so she transferred me to someone else and he said for the first year I was better to deal with Microsoft directly.

I called a second store to see if my options would change and I have two option: 1. Bring it in for them to send to the futureshop repair center and wait 40 days (if 60 days pass I get a new system) 2. Call Microsoft.

So I guess I will use Microsoft for the rest of their warranty and Futureshop in year two if there is another problem, I got confirmation that if I have proof of a change of serial number my extended warranty with FS will be honored (I think I'll have to fight for that one in the future is it breaks again).

Handkor on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I think futureshop salesmen are full of shit. I know someone who brought his broken 360 in a futureshop and had to be 360-less for a few weeks, they did not exange it even if he had the extended warranty.

I remember clearly last year when I bought my 360 the salesman told me that if I got the extended warranty they would give me a new 360 instantly if mine broke. Judging from the acquaintance's experience, this is clearly bullshit. I wouldn't have paid for their extended warranty if they didn't do a trade instead of a repair.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Well I just got off the phone with Microsoft and that was painless. Box on its way.

Handkor on
  • Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Fireflash wrote: »
    I remember clearly last year when I bought my 360 the salesman told me that if I got the extended warranty they would give me a new 360 instantly if mine broke. Judging from the acquaintance's experience, this is clearly bullshit. I wouldn't have paid for their extended warranty if they didn't do a trade instead of a repair.

This is what most new hires in the retail business tell customers. They quickly ratchet up big numbers, their bosses pat them on the back and buy them lunch, their co-workers mimic their presentation, and soon anyone who buys a product in that store gets lied to about what the plans cover and what qualifies for replacement.

I fought this trend the whole time I worked retail, right up to my last day. And had to deal with customers coming in saying our competitors down the street promised them straight-up replacement, regardless of what happens. My answer was always, get that in writing or it's completely meaningless.

Tiemler on