As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Superhero Ethics 101: Hit It With A Hammer

Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of ForksRegistered User regular
edited November 2013 in Social Entropy++
Welcome to Superhero Ethics 101.

For our lesson plan today, I'm pleased to have Interim Professor Thor join us to demonstrate his applauded "Hit it With a Hammer" technique of moral debate, as demonstrated in this handy Moviefilm.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Qlhnn8NddXk

Later, we'll speak with Strategic Homeland Intervention Enforcement and Logistics Division representative Agent Phil Coulson about the ethical concerns involved with working for a shadowy government agency that investigates superheroes, hackers, aliens and street magicians. I have been asked to tell you any questions for Agent Coulson must somehow mention that Tahiti is "a magical place."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9kln4cgqUjE

Professor Rogers is still abroad on sabbatical, but he was nice enough to mail us next year's course plan on Soviet Era medical experiments, giant mysterious airships, and "Hitting Things With Shields."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NLWsK1ZFunA

As always, please feel free to address all questions about our curriculum to the Head of the Ethics Department, Dr. Groot.

[IMG][/img]
Romanian My Escutcheon on

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    *cough* Enforcement

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Professor's Note: Don't forget that properly linking YouTube videos is NOT on the curriculum and therefore any mistakes involved in linking YouTube videos should not and can not be attributed to the University.

Professor's Addendum: Though it always helps to make sure those YouTube links are properly formatted.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    What caused the last thread to gain so many posts since last night? Some big announcement or just arguing about comic books?

I've been busy today and haven't had time to try and catch up on it, and may just skip it.

• Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    What caused the last thread to gain so many posts since last night? Some big announcement or just arguing about comic books?

I've been busy today and haven't had time to try and catch up on it, and may just skip it.

Thor 2 just came out.

[IMG][/img]
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    It still depresses me that so many people would rather watch Leno and Letterman than Conan but that tweet was pretty bad form on his part.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    Tox wrote: »
    *cough* Enforcement

It was always there! Who says otherwise? They're expelled!

[IMG][/img]
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I was at work, so I couldn't respond to this before the last thread closed. So I'll do it now.
    Olivaw wrote:
    This was my whole damn problem with when they started to have the whole rainbow of Lanterns. It took away any kind of diversity of personality within anyone but the Green Lanterns! If someone is a Red Lantern or a Violet Lantern or something, then they have exactly ONE character trait

So making Guy into a Red Lantern doesn't make him cool. It actively makes him LAME, because it pigeonholes him

But then, I've never really liked any of the Green Lantern corps to begin with, with the exceptions of Guy, Kilowog, and that one Green Lantern that is just a giant planet with a lantern symbol etched into its surface

I actually think that, in theory, having multiple lantern colors is a perfectly fine idea. The problem is that, as you said, the color's associated trait often becomes THE ONLY trait for the majority of its members, rather than the primary trait out of many.

And even then, I think there are stand-out characters within the other Corps. Larfleeze (at least the first few stories that had him) was written pretty well and had a really clever concept. Saint Walker of the Blue Lanterns became one of my favorite lanterns, especially after that one-shot that showed his backstory. The Star Sapphires probably have the largest number of good characters, but they're crippled by some truly embarrassing costume design (and this super-weird idea that males apparently can't embody love, going so far as to make Wonder Woman a temporary Star Sapphire when all the heroes got rings during Blackest Night, despite it not really making much sense for her character). The Violet Lanterns and Red Lanterns both suffer from almost all of their members being incredibly bland.

And then there's the Sinestro Corps, which actually has the benefit of having quite a fairly interesting and diverse cast of villains. Though I suppose that tends to happen when you have a huge arc that pretty much centers on them.

But yeah, it's really irritating to me that the vast majority of the members of the other colors are practically cardboard cutouts.

IKknkhU.gif
  • NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Wait, in that Guardians teaser, who is Captain Mexica?

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Goddamnit, I was coming in just to post a screen cap of that. I was in the process of uploading the pic I had on my computer to photobucket and everything.

BLM - ACAB
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    I was at work, so I couldn't respond to this before the last thread closed. So I'll do it now.
    Olivaw wrote:
    This was my whole damn problem with when they started to have the whole rainbow of Lanterns. It took away any kind of diversity of personality within anyone but the Green Lanterns! If someone is a Red Lantern or a Violet Lantern or something, then they have exactly ONE character trait

So making Guy into a Red Lantern doesn't make him cool. It actively makes him LAME, because it pigeonholes him

But then, I've never really liked any of the Green Lantern corps to begin with, with the exceptions of Guy, Kilowog, and that one Green Lantern that is just a giant planet with a lantern symbol etched into its surface

I actually think that, in theory, having multiple lantern colors is a perfectly fine idea. The problem is that, as you said, the color's associated trait often becomes THE ONLY trait for the majority of its members, rather than the primary trait out of many.

And even then, I think there are stand-out characters within the other Corps. Larfleeze (at least the first few stories that had him) was written pretty well and had a really clever concept. Saint Walker of the Blue Lanterns became one of my favorite lanterns, especially after that one-shot that showed his backstory. The Star Sapphires probably have the largest number of good characters, but they're crippled by some truly embarrassing costume design (and this super-weird idea that males apparently can't embody love, going so far as to make Wonder Woman a temporary Star Sapphire when all the heroes got rings during Blackest Night, despite it not really making much sense for her character). The Violet Lanterns and Red Lanterns both suffer from almost all of their members being incredibly bland.

And then there's the Sinestro Corps, which actually has the benefit of having quite a fairly interesting and diverse cast of villains. Though I suppose that tends to happen when you have a huge arc that pretty much centers on them.

But yeah, it's really irritating to me that the vast majority of the members of the other colors are practically cardboard cutouts.

Additionally, It would be nice of being from another color made any difference at all in how your power ring actually did stuff.

I mean, the Indigo Tribe is sort of different with the staves, but they don't actually do anything the other colors don't all do, effectively.

It's just a fancy costume change because FEELINGS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

The Blue rings totally started out like that. On their own, they were weaker than the Green rings and specialized in more passive, defensive and reactive strategies.

But when in the presence of a Green ring, they not only supercharged the Green ring but became more powerful themselves.

It was a neat dynamic!

Which makes me think that Johns actually spent a decent amount of time coming up with the ways to make the corps unique when he started and then just kinda got lazy halfway through.

IKknkhU.gif
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    They got rid of Mogo?!

God damn it DC!

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    So after seeing it, I've got some questions about the post-splash credits stinger at the end of The Dark World.

Spoilers under the cut.
    Who is The Collector, what exactly is an Infinity Stone, how did the Asgardians get the red one, and how terrifying are they if Thanos only wanted one of them?

[IMG][/img]
    edited November 2013
    I have opinions about Lanterns, you guys.

Tomasi's run on Green Lantern Corps was tied with Gray/Palmiotti/Conner's Power Girl run for my favorite DC book back in college.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    So after seeing it, I've got some questions about the post-splash credits stinger at the end of The Dark World.

Spoilers under the cut.
    Who is The Collector, what exactly is an Infinity Stone, how did the Asgardians get the red one, and how terrifying are they if Thanos only wanted one of them?

I think most of this is going to be best handled by wikis.
    But re: the stones, it's kind of open right now. The stones in the comics are something completely different from the cosmic cube (in fact, there's an Infinity cross-over that deals with cosmic cubes specifically), but in general the infinity stones are going to be insanely powerful, especially when combined. And Thanos likely wants all of them, not just the Tesseract.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013

Spoilers under the cut.

Like, do you want answers, or were you pointing out
    from a Film-maker's perspective that it was a hell of a lot of info to back into a stinger?

sarukun on
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Has it been mentioned yet who's joining the Red Lanterns next year?
    sMoT8mD.jpg

Well, rage-blood aside, at least it looks like she's wearing a proper one-piece when compared to her DCnU suit.

Owenashi on
  • Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Who is that

Its hard to tell through all the blood(?)

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    sarukun wrote: »

Spoilers under the cut.

from a Film-maker's perspective that it was a hell of a lot of info to back into a stinger?
    I did want answers, but as soon as I typed all that out, I realized just how much information was stuffed into that stinger, minus context.

[IMG][/img]
    Owenashi wrote: »
    sMoT8mD.jpg

Well, rage-blood aside, at least it looks like she's wearing a proper one-piece when compared to her DCnU suit.

Uh...

Who...

Who is that?

IKknkhU.gif
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    sMoT8mD.jpg

Uh...

Who...

Who is that?

Look at the shape of the Red Lantern symbol.

• DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular

Spoilers under the cut.

I did want answers, but as soon as I typed all that out, I realized just how much information was stuffed into that stinger, minus context.

It is, but at least one of them is provided in the movie:
    The Stone was the Aether. That's why the container looked like a miniature version of the thing it was sealed in before.

sMoT8mD.jpg

Uh...

Who...

Who is that?

Oh fucking hell.

IKknkhU.gif
    Actual answers:
    The Collector- Short version, he is an ancient and extremely powerful squirrel that likes shinies and collects them.

Infinity Stone- The infinity stones are manifestations of different types of power. The Red Stone was apparently the Ether, the Blue stone the Tesseract. There are 6 stones in total, Red and Blue are Power and Mind, respectively. If you will recall, the Mind Gem was the source of Loki's scepter's power and allowed him to control Hawkeye and manipulate the Hulk.

And yes, Thanos wants all of them, that's his whole deal.

Spoilers under the cut.

It is kind of a lot of new information, but I mean
    a name like "The Collector" sums up pretty much the dude's whole deal.

DE?AD wrote: »

Spoilers under the cut.

The Stone was the Aether. That's why the container looked like a miniature version of the thing it was sealed in before.
    Ah, that makes sense.

I think seeing it in something other than it's fluid form threw me off.

[IMG][/img]
    sMoT8mD.jpg

Uh...

Who...

Who is that?

Oh fucking hell.

Is that...
    Supergirl?

Because I have not liked anything they have done with that character since like 1975.

DE?AD wrote: »

Spoilers under the cut.

Ah, that makes sense.

I think seeing it in something other than it's fluid form threw me off.

They pretty much relied entirely on the color to clue you in. I definitely did not get it after walking out of the theater.

I thought Supergirl had a really good part in CoIE despite her dying in it.

Spoilers under the cut.

I figured, the "One down," line just made me wonder if there was something more going on.

Thanks for filling me in.

[IMG][/img]
  • RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Yup. That Guy Gardner design is still really bad.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
    sMoT8mD.jpg

Uh...

Who...

Who is that?

Oh fucking hell.

Is that...
    Supergirl?

Because I have not liked anything they have done with that character since like 1975.
    Considering the outer border of the Red Lantern symbol looks exactly like the Super-Family shield, yeah, I'm pretty sure it is.

I've read a few good things that Supergirl's been in.

It's not like I have a particular attachment to the character; it's mostly the idea that they're making a member of the Super-Family a Red fucking Lantern.

Even if it's just for one issue it's a good example of the type of character changes DC has been making in the New52 that I just despise.

IKknkhU.gif
    edited November 2013

Spoilers under the cut.

I figured, the "One down," line just made me wonder if there was something more going on.

Thanks for filling me in.

(b'.')b

And you are 100% right about that, the entire Marvel push for the last like... 3 or 4 years has been building towards dealing with
    the Infinity Gems. It is 100% Marvel's "Big Deal" story line.

Also can I just say that
    Benecio del Toro as the Collector is fucking inspired.

sarukun on
  • Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Guys

If somethings in a spoiler

You don't address what is in the spoiler outside a spoiler

It kinda defeats the purpose

Spoiler

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    (The hammer is his penis.)

BahamutZERO.gif
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Just got out of the theater.

"Ta-da."

newSig.jpg
    Does Hiddleston still do stage plays? Even if it costs me a fortune I'd love to see one with him in it.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Nirya wrote: »
    Wait, in that Guardians teaser, who is Captain Mexica?

there's no such thing

I think it's supposed to be a joke?

This discussion has been closed.