As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Arrow] The best Batman show without Batman.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Ok Arrow, we all know that you are heavily copying from the Nolan Batman films and that's fine; but can we, you know, not have Det. Lance giving the freaking "symbol that this city needs" speech from The Dark Knight.

Other than that face palm worthy moment, great episode!

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Ok Arrow, we all know that you are heavily copying from the Nolan Batman films and that's fine; but can we, you know, not have Det. Lance giving the freaking "symbol that this city needs" speech from The Dark Knight.

Other than that face palm worthy moment, great episode!

I dunno, I think that it being for a different reason took it out of "ripoff" level into "reimagining" level.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Christ the two Flash characters in this episode were annoying and badly written.

Hopefully on their own show they'll be better.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    They really screwed up with Rochev's backstory. Come on,
    crazy ex-mistress of Ollie's father who refuses to acknowledge the fact that she's overreacting way too much? Probably one of the worst things they've done.

KingofMadCows on
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    crazy ex-mistress of Ollie's father who refuses to acknowledge the fact that she's overreacting way too much? Probably one of the worst things they've done.
    That "We were Soulmates" line made me puke in my mouth.

The Star lab people didn't bother me so much, the guy seemed like a Hipster moron like they all do and the girl seemed a bit more grounded. Btw, who was the girl? I've seen her before but I can't place her for some reason.

• Options
    edited April 2014

The Star lab people didn't bother me so much, the guy seemed like a Hipster moron like they all do and the girl seemed a bit more grounded. Btw, who was the girl? I've seen her before but I can't place her for some reason.

Danielle Panabaker, she played the daughter on Shark if you ever watched that show. I think she was also on an episode of Grimm playing a dragon or something like that.

LostNinja on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    She has a slight resemblance to Emma Watson, so that might be it.

• Options
    abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    She just played Penny on Justified. I had to look it up, because she looked familiar to me too and I couldn't place her. She was also in a couple of episodes of Bones last year, right before I finally gave up on that show.

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular

Its pretty close to her backstory in the comics.
    There she was just a crazy stalker, but considered herself the true heir to Robert Queen and had a tendency to wear his wife's jewelry(including Moira's wedding ring).

So if she is bad, its the original backstory that is bad.

However(for those that have seen the photo's of Summer on set)
    She is wearing the costume of the Ravager. The 4th one was Rose Wilson, Slade Wilsons illegitimate daughter who turned good in the comics.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options

Danielle Panabaker, she played the daughter on Shark if you ever watched that show. I think she was also on an episode of Grimm playing a dragon or something like that.

Yeah and she was in Sky High with Mary Elizabeth Winstead too. I knew I knew her from somewhere. I hope we see her in the Flash show.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Aha ha ha ha ha.
    Flat out told that Ollie is the Arrow Lorel spends weeks assembling newspaper clippings of events she lived through and still stares at the board in disbelief.

Then she braces her dad in jail! "I can't quite get it...."

"Sometimes those closest to us lie to us best." See, I can make subtle insinuations too! I R SMRAT!

Nice for the doctor to just volunteer private medical history. Still, I guess our girl needs all the help she can get.

Hey, Penny from Justified!

Ya know, for such a shitty lawyer Laurel sure makes big legal threats. Always conveniently timed for the plot as well...

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Aha ha ha ha ha.
    Flat out told that Ollie is the Arrow Lorel spends weeks assembling newspaper clippings of events she lived through and still stares at the board in disbelief.

Then she braces her dad in jail! "I can't quite get it...."

"Sometimes those closest to us lie to us best." See, I can make subtle insinuations too! I R SMRAT!

Nice for the doctor to just volunteer private medical history. Still, I guess our girl needs all the help she can get.

Hey, Penny from Justified!

Ya know, for such a shitty lawyer Laurel sure makes big legal threats. Always conveniently timed for the plot as well...
    Yeah, I was kinda hoping the DA called her bluff. Then again, the whole reason he was there was the Police force was butt hurt about arresting Slate then letting him go just so five minutes later Thea goes "It was Mr. Wilson"

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited April 2014

On the line she gave. I think the story makes a ton of sense if you force your mind into thinking she is less than 23. I mean, otherwise shes been sitting on
    getting revenge on a dead ex for give or take 10 years(who has been dead now for 6). And in the last year slade found her and gave her batman training. Then again, batman training is like Pilates in arrow universe with how huntress knew kung fu.

Also 'speedy' acted her ass off. She was upset and didn't lisp once. I applauded.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited April 2014

Yeah and she was in Sky High with Mary Elizabeth Winstead too. I knew I knew her from somewhere. I hope we see her in the Flash show.

She's in Flash's supporting cast.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Honestly I think you guys are being unfair to laurel (oh god its like that Barkley commercial where he says listen to the ref). She didn't immediately take the word of a murderer and kidnapper and actually connected the dots before just believing slade. And then even when she knew, she still talked to her father about it so she again didn't just jump to a "Tell the DA so my dad can get out of prison." stance. Laurel did this right.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Man, Arrow has, bar none, the best fight choreography on TV. I can't think of a single show that has done it better. Hell, a lot of movies don't manage it that well.

Can't wait to see more Sladefights.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Man, Arrow has, bar none, the best fight choreography on TV. I can't think of a single show that has done it better. Hell, a lot of movies don't manage it that well.

The cast of Arrow is pretty clearly ridiculously fit. I imagine that helps a ton in doing fight choreography.

• Options
    Finding actors who can do that shit and are in shape like that who can actually act decently is a pretty big accomplishment for network TV.

• Options
    It reminds me of the Highlander TV show which also had really good choreography. Which also had an extremely fit main actor.

I do how finally, finally in this episode Oliver did some stuff to Slade that Slade had not accounted for. Also poor felicity :(

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Preacher wrote: »
    Honestly I think you guys are being unfair to laurel (oh god its like that Barkley commercial where he says listen to the ref). She didn't immediately take the word of a murderer and kidnapper and actually connected the dots before just believing slade. And then even when she knew, she still talked to her father about it so she again didn't just jump to a "Tell the DA so my dad can get out of prison." stance. Laurel did this right.

Well the issue that she had to connect the dots was the part I'm mocking her for. That and we got a whole other interlude where she works out about Sarah which should have been a "NO SHIT!" moment after Ollie. The two people who disappeared five years ago and reappear within months of each other? Yea, definitely not the pair of superheroes who showed up at exactly that same time.

Edit: I'd be much less mocky if they didn't preface her staring at the newspaper clippings with "WEEKS LATER".

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular

The bars/sword fight segment, while noticeably short, was better than the new star wars movies where they are dodging swings that would never land by a large margin. The flying leap catch felt incredibly real and kinetic too. I was pretty impressed by that whole segment.

I wish when
    he shot at slade they would have just hit and he just stood there still, instead of 'tv ricochets because his armor is impenetrable'

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Well the issue that she had to connect the dots was the part I'm mocking her for. That and we got a whole other interlude where she works out about Sarah which should have been a "NO SHIT!" moment after Ollie. The two people who disappeared five years ago and reappear within months of each other? Yea, definitely not the pair of superheroes who showed up at exactly that same time.

Shock, denial. I mean at this point we have to assume despite her father saying he doesn't know who the arrow is, he knows who the arrow is. He just doesn't want to admit it, because it means that Oliver and his daughter live a life of pushing others away because they need to save the city from crazy mofos and they are the only ones who seem up to the task. Also remember when Sarah came back Laurel was in full on drunk and abusing narcotics mode, she wasn't exactly in a stable mindset to believe anything other than "Fucking sarah is back fucking up my life and stealing oliver away from me AGAIN!"

I hope Laurel noticing Oliver's scars, and Sarah's similar scars was more than just "Oh they are the vigilantes" and more why Oliver and Sarah share a connection that Laurel and Oliver doesn't, their bodies and minds are scarred in ways that Laurel can never connect with.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Yeah, Lance's "NOPE STOP TALKING DONT TELL ME" could have easily been because he knows but doesn't want to admit it or be told. Plausible deniability and all that.

• Options
    Well it again highlights his remarks about Oliver not being a killer was Lance at least in a small part admitting to Oliver "you've done good as the arrow, and now my daughter is home so I can tell you that without implying I know you are him."

Detective Lance already has to admit that with Sarah she'll always be in danger, she'll never be his little innocent girl, but he knows Oliver will be with her and that's at least small comfort, probably in that she's not alone going through her problems, and neither is Oliver. I bet in a way it was a relief to see her with the Arrow, because it meant the arrow wasn't alone anymore (even if he never was with Diggle and Felicity, but Lance doesn't know how connected they are there).

Also we are not talking about stone cold Diggle this episode! And I'm glad that Oliver kicked Ruschev's ass again. He's bigger than she is and has more training than she did, he should beat her up. I hope at some point we get a highlander "You're right handed!" Moment between Slade and Oliver. Because Slade already pulled the "I trained you kid." Moment, I want Oliver to pull off some wicked awesome and say "Shado and Yao Fei trained me as well Slade." And then a huge guitar rift hits and the world explodes.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I hope Laurel noticing Oliver's scars, and Sarah's similar scars was more than just "Oh they are the vigilantes" and more why Oliver and Sarah share a connection that Laurel and Oliver doesn't, their bodies and minds are scarred in ways that Laurel can never connect with.

I'd like to watch the show that did that. I don't think I am...

I mean, they literally had Felicity start this show with "Remember the guy with the universal key? We have that key right now." She might as well have added "So this will totally come up again shortly."

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Also we are not talking about stone cold Diggle this episode!
    This I was a little surprised by. Just bang bang right into crazy corporate lady's chest.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options

I mean, they literally had Felicity start this show with "Remember the guy with the universal key? We have that key right now." She might as well have added "So this will totally come up again shortly."

Its a comic book show, telegraphing plot points miles away is a staple. And arrow has done some pretty great things with the characters this season, including Laurel not laureling up her Arrow secret, so the scar scene could have been exactly as I described the writers are good like that. I mean Laurel hugging Oliver wasn't anything sexual, and they didn't have Sarah walk in on it and be all "OH NOES YOU ARE WITH MY MAN!" So give them a little credit.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Spoilers, dude.

This I was a little surprised by. Just bang bang right into crazy corporate lady's chest.
    I was kind of disappointed that she didn't get back up soon after.

Like, she already had the Mirakuru in her as part of the plan, instead of being given it to save her life.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Sorce wrote: »
    Spoilers, dude.

Like, she already had the Mirakuru in her as part of the plan, instead of being given it to save her life.

That made sense though, Slade realizes Mirakuru fucks people up emotionally, he needed her to be fully functioning mentally to throw Oliver off.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited April 2014

I died a little inside agreeing with this comment...

If you can't count on Laurel to fuck something up, what can you count on?

Honestly I'm kind of glad they did telegraph that because I had forgotten all about that thing and would have been clueless when they mentioned it was stolen.

LostNinja on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Spoilers, dude.

Yeah but
    The whole point of the episode was Slade testing the new Mirakuru infusion method. I imagine the plan was to augment everyone (since he was happy to do it to random criminals) he just didn't want to burn his ace before he knew it worked. Of course, once she was dead then that kind of forced his hand.

• Options

I died a little inside agreeing with this comment...

If you can't count on Laurel to fuck something up, what can you count on?

I know its weird for her to be competent and not doing something stupid/irrational/and ultimately angering. Like everytime Laurel was on screen this week I actually liked the developments and she had an honest to god real pay off that advanced her character and Oliver's relationship that felt genuine and not like the writers telling me I should like Laurel because they do.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Spoilers, dude.

That made sense though, Slade realizes Mirakuru fucks people up emotionally, he needed her to be fully functioning mentally to throw Oliver off.
    Because her thinking that she was Robert Queen's OTP totally had her on an even keel. She didn't do anything, possibly sleeping with Oliver aside, that couldn't have already been "blamed" on the Mirakuru.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Spoilers, dude.

Because her thinking that she was Robert Queen's OTP totally had her on an even keel. She didn't do anything, possibly sleeping with Oliver aside, that couldn't have already been "blamed" on the Mirakuru.

That was her motivation and she was determined to pull it off because of that, including sleeping with Oliver (which yuck with her sleeping with daddy queen). If she was mirakuru'd Oliver when he was banging her probably would have figured it. On top of that until the blood transfusion miracle, there wasn't a 100% shot she'd survive the drug, so it was more based on it could have killed her thus making her useless for his plan and she didn't need to be a super woman to pull of corporate fuckery.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    But seriously mad props to Stephen Amell.

Ollie's reaction to finding out she fucked his dad was amazing.

Like the way he touches his forehead like "WHY IS THIS MY LIFE?!"

• Options
    Amell has really grown as an actor on this show. He went from being well marbeled man meat into someone who really sells complex emotions.

Episode spoiler.

Like finding Roy instead of Slade there was so much anguish in so little time.

Sadly I hated Thea in this episode, she was just being a petulant child and I wanted to reach through the tv and strangle her. Apparently on Arrow all of the female characters can not be likeable at one time its impossible. Laurel got better so Thea got worse.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Thea is what, 19?

And basically everyone in her life is a liar, murderer, or asshole.

I think she behaved pretty much as expected for a 19 year old in that situation.

• Options
    No I get that, its an understandable reaction, but it didn't make me any less angry with her "Whatever Oliver everyone lies to me."

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    It would be pretty rad if Malcolm found her and she was like FUCK IT, HE'S A MASS MURDERER BUT AT LEAST HE'S MY REAL FATHER AND WON'T LIE TO ME!

And then Malcolm trains her against the Queens.

• Options
    Its a possibility, I'm still sort of hoping for a Malcolm Team up with Oliver moment to take down Slade. If only because Malcolm seems like the type.

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.