As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Arrow] The best Batman show without Batman.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Oh hey, Paul Blackthorne!

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yeah for a second there I thought that was guy pearce. What happened to your hair Paul?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Morblitz wrote: »
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Sorce wrote: »
    Also, no kidding, I will hunt down the responsible party and stab them in their stupid face if they kill off Sarah and have Laurel replace her as BC.

I kind of doubt it'll happen because the show gave Sarah 5 years of training, with at least part of that being under the tutelage of the League of Assassins. Whereas Laurel has, what? Maybe taken a boxing class at the gym one time when spin class was overbooked?
    She's taken the ever-so-nebulous "self-defense classes", because she whooped that one dude's ass in S1, back when Laurel might have ended up as Canary.

Gotta love those "self defence classes" one week of classes and any female character on any show ever can take down a fighter who has been training their whole life.

I think it's more than just random self defense classes at the Y.
    Doesn't she say early on that because her dad is a cop he was really adamant about them learning self defense? What I took from that is that she probably has years of self defense training under her belt before the show started.

It obviously doesn't look like she keeps up with it anymore because we never see or it it's never mentioned in the present tense, which would limit her ability to womp people like she does on the show because she'd be super rusty, but still.

And we've seen what her dad is like. I buy that she was raised on self defense because of his paranoia.

Kind of like how Detective Stabler in SVU has a heart attack whenever he hears that his daughter went to a party with alcohol.

I was more referring to it being a common trope in these types of shows where random character X says they took some self defense classes and then they are inexplicably able to hold their own against someone like Diggle who has special forces training. Self defense lessons from dad shouldn't be able to do that.

They could introduce Ted Grant.

http://television.cosmicbooknews.com/content/jr-ramirez-cast-wildcat-arrow-season-3

Called it.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    bychancebychance Registered User regular
    I'd prefer it if Grant was a little older, but understandable they didn't make the age difference gap too wide, since he's inevitably going to be her love interest.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    And it looks like Roy is going to be Arsenal instead of Red Arrow.

sig.gif
  • Options
    YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    C2B wrote: »
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    I'm entirely unsympathetic to people who are caboose clobbered over Ollie's character growth away from being cavalier about murder and I narrow my eyes in general at someone who uses the phrase "Batman Problem" to refer to superheroes opting not to use lethal force.

Narrow your eyes at the guy who doesn't kill and then is responsible for the deaths of <lots> that didn't have to die. It's taking to insane lengths with Batman as his entire roster of bad guys have a revolving door policy with incarceration,

Yeeeeeeeeeeahhhhh

No.

NoNo.

No.

You want the easy and true answer? Because its a comic.

And for the same exact reason it wouldn't make a lick of difference. Another supervillian would just appear (In the most likely case CONNECTED to the other dead supervillian) and kill those people.

The reason theres a *Batman problem* in the first place is because a lot of american comics reuse their superheroes and villians to no end. Theres no plotline that truly ends. So they keep coming back. They can actually be killed and THEY WILL STILL COME BACK.

Arrow was running into the Punisher problem. Not only is it hard to develop a cast of villains when every episode ends with the bad guy dead, but it becomes harder and harder to reconcile the growing body count with the idea that your hero is, well, a hero. The Punisher gets around this problem by making Frank Castle a somewhat sympathetic nutcase, but that's obviously not the direction they wanted to take Oliver Queen.

Actually they get around the Punisher problem by making Frank Castle a FUCKING MURDERER who is scorned by near every member of the superhero community.

Because he is.

Well he was originally a Spiderman villain, not a hero of any sort.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    This is Nightwing: The Series trailer
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=wvvvEK_6_fk

Looks interesting.

The acting in the trailer seemed a little stilted, especially with Dick and Bruce.

Kind of wish they chose another villain other than Deathstroke. I know they are arch enemies, but with Arrow having Deathstroke in season 1 and more prominently in season 2, kind of feels an overdose.

Although I do like how they're doing the Teen Titans cartoon series version of Slade's voice, even if I have been rather enamored with Arrow's Australian (Maori?) accent Slade.

However, I do believe that Nightwing has deserved a series like this for a long time.

One last thing, how come no one wants to make Slade a mercenary in non comic media? He's always some sort of terrorist, except in maybe Arkham Origins.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    Because his name is deathstroke? I mean that doesn't exactly scream regular mercenary. Its either terrorist or necrophiliac.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Eh. You can always just call him Slade Wilson like Arrow did for almost the entire time he was around.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    So out of curiosity, because I love some of these higher budget indie projects, I watched the first episode of Nightwing.

That acting....it's not good....not even so bad it's good. It's just bad.

The production value impresses me though, even if the 'high class' party was just obviously some dudes house.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Preacher wrote: »
    Because his name is deathstroke? I mean that doesn't exactly scream regular mercenary. Its either terrorist or necrophiliac.

Na, it sounds like what some 20-something from the 80s-90s would come up for as a cool name for a mercenary for hire.

Which, if Deathstroke was brought to the big screen, should be his updated origin; a former specical forces/black ops guy who picked the name up after a tour in Panama or first Gulf War. I can already hear the banter.

"Who would anyone come up with a ridiculous name for themselves like Deathstroke?"

"Shut up, it was the 90s."

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    So a few days ago at work I found a notice on the front door.

http://imgur.com/PmgI4Ma

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    It's really been Slade Wilson's year. Arrow, Beware the Batman, Son of Batman and Arkham Origins all featured him (with him being the Big Bad in all but Origins), and Warner announced that there's a Deathstroke movie in development.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    He is a very good villain.

Evil without being stupid.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    So when is the flash, gotham and the nightwing thing suppose to premier?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    October 7th for the Flash. September 22th for Gotham. That Nightwing trailer was a fan thing.

• Options
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    He is a very good villain.

Evil without being stupid.

He's also pretty unique in that he's a villain that's not really tied to any hero. Wherever Joker shows up, he's a Batman villain. Lex Luthor is still a Superman villain even if he's on the Flash. Deathstroke has deep ties to some heroes - Robin and the Teen Titans, mostly - but he doesn't really "belong" to anyone.

Probably makes him a lot easier to use in media adaptions. No worries that you are stepping on the Batman license.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    So when is the flash, gotham and the nightwing thing suppose to premier?
    Nightwing thing is fan made; I think the first episode is on YT already.

sig.gif
  • Options
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/28/the-wolverines-rila-fukushima-is-replacing-devon-aoki-on-arrow

I like this casting change if only because Devon Aoki is weird looking and a terrible actress.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I don't remember Katana. Can someone refresh my memory?

• Options
    She hasn't been on the show, she was cast for this season, she might be some DC whatever. Basically sounds like she's the new asian woman who shows Oliver *blank*. I just hope he doesn't suddenly start fighting differently this season after he remembers her.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/28/the-wolverines-rila-fukushima-is-replacing-devon-aoki-on-arrow

I like this casting change if only because Devon Aoki is weird looking and a terrible actress.

I kind of love Devon Aoki though and would be happy to just watch her walking around. I also fantasise about causing emotional harm to her brother, but that's a topic for a dance music thread, should we ever be worthy of having one.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    I like this change in actress. Fukushima was awesome in The Wolverine.

Can't wait to see her in action.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    In other Arrow news, Everyone's worst fears are realized!

http://www.newsarama.com/22020-arrow-ep-teases-season-3-laurels-heroic-evolution.html

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    God damn it arrow.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    I don't remember Katana. Can someone refresh my memory?

3844403-8467232865-btb_-.png

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    In other Arrow news, Everyone's worst fears are realized!

http://www.newsarama.com/22020-arrow-ep-teases-season-3-laurels-heroic-evolution.html

Is this news?

I feel like that was obvious from the finale and the interviews they did right after.

Could be good. Wouldn't be the first character on TV to get a total makeover. Or she could get killed off and they bring back blondie.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    The issue is that Laurel as an actress regresses. Like she was passable on Supernatural but is actively terrible on arrow.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    The issue is that Laurel as an actress regresses. Like she was passable on Supernatural but is actively terrible on arrow.

The actress is half the problem, the other half is that the scriptwriters want her to be Lang Lana reborn.

• Options
    I never watched Smallville thank god.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

I kind of feel sorry for the actress. Laurel's such a weird character.

On a show where everyone has gotten to have a fun/badass moment, she's written as a perpetual black hole. In two years with dozens of scenes, I cannot point to a single moment where I felt good about seeing the character on the screen. I keep expecting her to turn into a villain, because these writers have to know they have never once given the audience a reason to like her.

• Options

On a show where everyone has gotten to have a fun/badass moment, she's written as a perpetual black hole. In two years with dozens of scenes, I cannot point to a single moment where I felt good about seeing the character on the screen. I keep expecting her to turn into a villain, because these writers have to know they have never once given the audience a reason to like her.

In contrast, I liked Black Canary from her first scene and she didn't say a word.

• Options

In contrast, I liked Black Canary from her first scene and she didn't say a word.

Her bust spoke volumes... err presence!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Her bust spoke volumes... err presence!

You know what I meant.
    The bust didn't hurt.

• Options
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/video-arrow-season-3-trailer-730173

New arrow season 3 trailer, Oliver even has a little Quigley Down Under Moment.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I wonder how much of Arrow's viewership hasn't seen Quigley Down Under or even heard of it.

I now want Tom Selleck to guest star.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular

The problem is that anytime the writers have given the character an emotional scene in an attempt to add depth, the actress couldn't convey it at an even passable level.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

Looks less broody. I imagine it'll be before something hits the team hard but I like it.

• Options
    Quid wrote: »

Looks less broody. I imagine it'll be before something hits the team hard but I like it.

Might be going less broody so as to line up with flash's brighter spots. Honestly season 2 was pretty dark, they should have a lighter season to contrast. It doesn't have to be batman begins all the time.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I would love them to start having Ollie get a bit lighter or smarmier. Maybe a bit more Errol Flynn.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
This discussion has been closed.