As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bubsy is back, and in 3D!

UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
http://bubsy3d.com/

Password: bubsyaddict

It is excellent. A brilliant return to form for the series.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky

• Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    Is. . . Is this supposed to be some kind of elaborate troll? Did they seriously dredge up this reviled piece of garbage just for kicks? I'm not sure. I'm not sure WHAT'S REAL ANY MORE!!!

• Options
    Bubsy is the only thing that is real.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    what
    is
    wrong
    with you

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    This was one of those games on Sega I was determined to beat. Me and my brother did it together and it was torture.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    A significant improvement over the first Bubsy 3D.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    IvanIssacsIvanIssacs Skull Leader SDF-1Registered User regular
    Is this some kind of geocities archive site?

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Hilarious.

For what it's worth, the original Bubsy was a bit of guilty pleasure for me. I knew the game sucked then and I know it sucks now, but it sucks just enough to still be enjoyable.

In particular the music was stellar.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    Someone tell ulillillia about this.

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    what is

wha

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    what is

wha
    Shhhh..... Don't ask what. Just keep telling yourself. . . .

. . . . What could possibly go wrong?

• Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG?

• Options
    So is this the "shit on bubsy" topic now? Because if regular bubsy is a warm can of menstrual juice, and bubsy II was a slightly colder can of menstrual juice, and Bubsy 3D was a piping hot can of menstrual juice, then the oft-forgotten Atari Jaguar exclusive Bubsy 3: Fractured Furry-tails is like caffeine-free menstrual juice that has expired.

Terrible, terrible game(s).

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Ghost mode is best mode!

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    This is the Bubsy Appreciation Thread.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Glal wrote: »
    Ghost mode is best mode!

I know, right!

Another cheat you can type at the title screen is esports.

• Options
    I remember reading an interview with the team who made bubsy 2 a few years back. They were being rushed through development and were maybe 40-50% complete with the game, when Accolade approached the team and told them they had signed an exclusive deal with nerf and that they had to rework the game to center around nerf products.

So naturally they made a variety of nerf gun power ups and tried to make the game a bit more of a run and shoot, kinda like contra, when the suits up high shit a brick. They couldn't have their kid-friendly, corporate-blessed, "next-big-thing" media star going around killing things with guns, especially nerf guns which might piss off their advertising tie-in. So they were told to rework the entire game. Again. And their deadlines weren't pushed back.

The "solution" they came up with is that nerf guns would still kill bad guys, but their death animations would be comic and wacky, and that the power up would be so rare that the game wouldn't be nothing but bubsy killing enemies with nerf products. That is why, despite nerf being plastered over every inch of the game, actually obtaining the ballzooka in the game is monstrously difficult and way out of the way. That's also why the game is put together the way it is - with a bunch of repeating, "halves" to the game that you can't play all at once - because they ran out of time during development and needed to pad the game out with levels they'd already made.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    We wouldn't want to advertise Nerf with shooting.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I was hoping history could forget Bubsy's name

And my goodness TSR is there any 90s animal mascot you don't know the comprehensive history of?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    I actually enjoyed the original Bubsy. Terrible puns and mediocre platforming are a winning combination in my book.

Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    All I know of Bubsy is what I know from that Jontron episode.

• Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    Remember Bubsy? He's back, in POG form!

07-04.png

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    As a child I was gifted not one, but two copies of Bubsy 3D for my birthday by my grandmother.

She thought she was buying Crash Bandicoot, and the man at the store convinced her to pick up two copies so I could play together with my brother.

Even at 12 I knew that it was bad form to do anything but smile and thank her for being so thoughtful. Bless you, Grandma.

• Options
    Bubsy bubsy bubsy bubsy bobcaaaaaat

"What could possibly go wrong?"

• Options
    seabass wrote: »
    I actually enjoyed the original Bubsy. Terrible puns and mediocre platforming are a winning combination in my book.

Calling the platforming in bubsy mediocre is an insult to all the aero the acrobats and mr. Nutz: hopping mads of the world.

• Options
    What about Awesome Possum Kicks Dr. Machino's Butt?

• Options
    What about Awesome Possum Kicks Dr. Machino's Butt?

That makes Bubsy look like Mario 3.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Wasn't there some sonic-style game out there where you played as a literal star?

Brolo on
  • Options
    Ristar?

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    i-hnhcM3x-950x10000.jpg

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    Wasn't there some sonic-style game out there where you played as a literal star?

That's Ristar, and it's actually really good. Made by Sonic Team themselves in fact.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    I'll say this about Bubsy 3D.

It had platforms.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    i never had the pleasure of playing a Bubsy game when i was a kid. :( not sure i really want to start with a 3D browser game though.

• Options
    Ah, Ristar.

I kept on thinking it was Singstar, but that's some sort of Karaoke game.

• Options
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    i never had the pleasure of playing a Bubsy game when i was a kid.

"i never had the pleasure of a root canal without anesthesia when i was a kid"

"i never had the pleasure of a hammer slamming down on my chilled penis head when i was a kid"

"i never had the pleasure of listening to cher's believe on loop for 10 hours straight when i was a kid"

• Options
    Brolo wrote: »
    Ah, Ristar.

I kept on thinking it was Singstar, but that's some sort of Karaoke game.

Ohhhh! i smell an awesome mash up! Ristar Singstar, a karaoke platformer. sing as good as you can to help Ristar get to the end of the level!

• Options
    sonic clone shitty-awesome scale:

worst
    -Awesome Possum Kicks Dr. Machino's Butt

-Zool

-Bubsy

-Zero the Kamikaze Squirrel

-Quik the thunder rabbit

-kid chaos

-Mr. Nuts Hoppin Mad

-Meyhem in Monsterland

-Zool 2

-Jazz Jackrabbit
    best

• Options
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    i never had the pleasure of playing a Bubsy game when i was a kid.

"i never had the pleasure of a root canal without anesthesia when i was a kid"

"i never had the pleasure of a hammer slamming down on my chilled penis head when i was a kid"

"i never had the pleasure of listening to cher's believe on loop for 10 hours straight when i was a kid"

:'(

• Options
    ...my condolences

• Options
    I suddenly am intrigued by the saga of the Zool series.