As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dyslexia

alcoholic_engineeralcoholic_engineer Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I honestly think i am developing dyslexia.

I have noticed that over the last few years, my verbal skills have been getting worse. I have been slurring my words (starting to say one word, and then halfway through switching to the one i mean - unconsiously). At times it is like i have a speech impediment. My writing skills are generally quite excellent, and for writing essays and similar things I have an easy time. It mainly has to do with my verbal skills, and it has been getting progressively more noticeable.

I am curious to see if anyone else has had this happen to them, or if they have any suggestions for me to look into. I have looked into it a bit on the internet, and it does seem that dyslexia can manifest itself in verbal as opposed to written expression.

I am a 21 year old male, who to be honest has had a few blows to the head over the years but nothing recently, if that has any bearing.

alcoholic_engineer on

• Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Do you smoke a lot of pot?

When I go through periods of smoking a lot of pot I swear I am almost dyslexic.

Al_wat on
  • alcoholic_engineeralcoholic_engineer Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I dont do any drugs, but to be honest i like the booze a little more then i should (I tend to drink heavily once or twice a week, and have been for years)

alcoholic_engineer on
  • stixs4321stixs4321 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Taking any herbal supplements? How your stress levels? You meditate? Hows your lung capacity? You breathe heavy when at rest?

Certain herbal supplements have made it impossible for me to conversate properly. Once I got off them my verbal skills returned to normal.

If I'm stressed I sometimes find it hard to think of things to talk about and have trouble half way through stories. Meditation helps you relax and focus so when I meditate I'll usually bounce back to being able to conversate properly.

Another thing possible could be you have poor breathe control. When my breathe controls bad I'll barely be able to get the right word out or struggle to not run out of breathe which is distracting in itself.

stixs4321 on
    edited April 2007
    I do martial arts, and so i consider my breathing control pretty good. the only supplements I am taking currently are ginkgo biloba and very rarely valerian root. As for stress levels, i have a bit of stress, but nothing overwhelming.

As well, after some more reasearch into it a few more symptoms come to mind: i do have horrible hand writing (the words are in the right order, it is just the letters are very messy) and as well in the verbal dyslexia there is a mention of difficulty understanding when people talk to me. They can occasionally talk straight to my face in plain english and even though I am paying attention, and they repeat it a few times I still have difficulty discerning the syllables and stuff.

alcoholic_engineer on
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    dyslexia's not something you 'develop', far as I know. Language difficulties are nothing to sneeze at though, as they could be signifying another neurological problem. You need to speak to a doctor or speech pathologist, basically. And pretty much everyone has messy handwriting.

Oh, and I'd stay away from Valerian. Some people are fine with it, but some aren't. The reactions are pretty variable (just gives me weird dreams and makes me discombobulated during the day), but it could conceivably be messing with you.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    If you had dyslexie, you would've sucked at reading and writing a long long time ago.
    For all i know, you can't just have verbal dyslexia. If i recall correctly, it goes hand and hand with spelling mistakes.
    Bad handwriting is also not mandatory. Dyslectics can do calligraphy and still fuck the letter order up.

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    honestly, apart from the deteriorating verbal skills (and are you sure you're not just socially anxious?) you sound pretty normal.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • misbehavinmisbehavin Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Just an aside, stay away from Valerian! It can have some nasty side effects. My friend had a sleeping problem and took some to try to sleep and started waking up in cold sweats having night terrors!

misbehavin on
  • MotherFireflyMotherFirefly Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The Cat wrote: »
    dyslexia's not something you 'develop', far as I know. Language difficulties are nothing to sneeze at though, as they could be signifying another neurological problem. You need to speak to a doctor or speech pathologist, basically. And pretty much everyone has messy handwriting.

Oh, and I'd stay away from Valerian. Some people are fine with it, but some aren't. The reactions are pretty variable (just gives me weird dreams and makes me discombobulated during the day), but it could conceivably be messing with you.

TheCat is right about this, Dyslexia isn't something developed overnight, you're essentially born with it, it's just not discovered for a long time afterwards. Dyslexia isn't necessarily a speech impediment, it has to do with how the brain processes words and glyphs. My little sister is dyslexic, (she does have a speech impediment but this is due to the endless litany of other mental/physical disabilities she has) and it's really just that her brain takes longer to absorb information, process it, and then translate that to writing.

You switching words in the middle of your sentence or slurring them could be that your brain is actually too quickly processing them, it happens to friends of mine that are really smart and essentially "edit" what they're saying in mid-sentence.

MotherFirefly on
  • SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Naw, I think you're fine. I have the same problem.

Sometimes I use a word to mean something else. Sometimes I combine two words to form one, or a word gets clipped or slurred or ends somewhere. I've noticed it happens more often than it did before, but it's not like it's sudden or something...it's been very gradual.

I think it has more to do with stress or the rate at which we talk maybe?

SkyGheNe on
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    SkyGheNe wrote: »

I usually put this kind of stuff down to my brain moving faster than my mouth...it's almost like I'm a couple of sentences ahead in my brain and it all gets a little confused.

Living with a family of dyslexics, this part of what's happening doesn't sound like anything they get, and it certainly wouldn't be something which has developed in the last couple of years.

BobCesca on
  • SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    BobCesca wrote: »
    SkyGheNe wrote: »

I usually put this kind of stuff down to my brain moving faster than my mouth...it's almost like I'm a couple of sentences ahead in my brain and it all gets a little confused.

Living with a family of dyslexics, this part of what's happening doesn't sound like anything they get, and it certainly wouldn't be something which has developed in the last couple of years.

That's a good way of putting it.

Until you start having problems with a sentence every hour or so, I wouldn't worry about it. My frequency tends to be once or twice a day, or depending on the situation.

SkyGheNe on
    edited April 2007
    Get off the ginkgo! I took some of that shit once and I immediately felt retarded when I took it. Its suppose to make you smarter and think better but for me it had the complete opposite effect where all of a sudden I could barely think and communicate.

Another herbal supplement supposed to boost brain power(not why I took it in first place) have done the same to me and made me a complete 'tard. I remember having to ask my boss at work 5 times what my simple job duties were cause I couldn't comprehend then calling him by the wrong name 5 times in a row over 5mins. Needless to say I got off that shit.

The other advice given here suggests you're talking ahead than you think. Meditation slows everything down and make it easier to think. Try to practice breathing deep using the diaphram nightly before bed.

stixs4321 on
  • misbehavinmisbehavin Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    stixs4321 wrote: »
    Get off the ginkgo! I took some of that shit once and I immediately felt retarded when I took it. Its suppose to make you smarter and think better but for me it had the complete opposite effect where all of a sudden I could barely think and communicate.

Another herbal supplement supposed to boost brain power(not why I took it in first place) have done the same to me and made me a complete 'tard. I remember having to ask my boss at work 5 times what my simple job duties were cause I couldn't comprehend then calling him by the wrong name 5 times in a row over 5mins. Needless to say I got off that shit.

The other advice given here suggests you're talking ahead than you think. Meditation slows everything down and make it easier to think. Try to practice breathing deep using the diaphram nightly before bed.

I don't want to sound presumptuous, but are any of these effects still happening? From my own experience, and my understanding of the herb, both Ginkgo and Ginseng (popular "brain boosters") are so lacking in potency that they have very little, if any, actual effect on the brain, and even in high concentrations only have a limited effect on the brain.

While I don't recommend taking them, I do so because they're useless, not because they're dangerous.

How long ago did you have these mental problems? Did they go away after you stopped taking the Gingko?

misbehavin on
    edited April 2007
    misbehavin wrote: »
    stixs4321 wrote: »

I don't want to sound presumptuous, but are any of these effects still happening? From my own experience, and my understanding of the herb, both Ginkgo and Ginseng (popular "brain boosters") are so lacking in potency that they have very little, if any, actual effect on the brain, and even in high concentrations only have a limited effect on the brain.

While I don't recommend taking them, I do so because they're useless, not because they're dangerous.

How long ago did you have these mental problems? Did they go away after you stopped taking the Gingko?
    The ginkgo was taken like 3 years ago for a few days while in high school with horrific results. The problems cleared up the next day after stopping. The other herb with brain boosting capibilities was around 2 years ago and taken for about 2 weeks before I noticed I was getting fucked in the head from it. I continued on for another week and it just got worse with time. Took about a couple days to return to normal. I've heard creatine has research proven brain boosting capibilities. I've also read on forums about people saying they can't think normal(much like I got) when taking it and have to stop(or continue if they're retarded).

In the end we're all wired different. One thing improves brain capacity for you but decreases mines. My brains already running full capacity for all I know and overclocking is just frying it.

If you wanna improve brain function and focus, take up meditation.

stixs4321 on
  • witch_iewitch_ie Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Just an idea, but you could try reading aloud. If your brain is out of sync with your speech, then maybe you just need some practice to hone that skill again.

witch_ie on
    edited April 2007
    From what you guys are saying that it does not develop, and rather should be something i really started out with makes me feel alot better. I have been told that i am pretty intelligent and do actually tend to think far faster then I can articulate verbally, and this sounds like a reasonable explanation. Perhaps It was just becoming apparent, and more noticable over time as i noticed that it happened.

thanks, i guess that pretty much clears up my concerns.

and as for the supplements, I take valerian a few times a a year (usually right before finals if i cant fall asleep), the ginkgo i really have never noticed that much of a difference when I take it or not.

alcoholic_engineer on
  • FrostyAlphaWolfFrostyAlphaWolf Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I have the same problem; sometimes in mid-sentance I'll mix up words, or halfway through saying a word, I'll think of a better word and mash em together. I think it has a lot to do with my OCD, sort of constantly checking myself to use the perfect word for the situation. I can't really control it, but most people I talk with semm to get what I'm saying anyway. It has grown gradualy over the past 5 years or so, and I think it will keep going since my mom has the same problem with saying the wrong word, so I could see myself getting there before long.

FrostyAlphaWolf on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]