Options

Engine Oil

So I moved recently and ended up at a rather expensive mechanic to be on the safe side. Actually my last post was about my car.. ugh.
Anyway I needed an oil change. No problem. However I looked at the itemized receipt and it lists 5w20. My car calls for 5w30, which the inside window sticker lists.
It's an RSX Type S. The base model calls for the 20 while mine calls for 30(different engines). I called and asked. They told me their software calls for the 20 and that's what they used.
They didn't admit to any model mistake and just said the software is "current".
They did however say they'd let me come in and switch out the oil free of charge.
I understand wrong viscosity can be a bad thing depending on factors. I do beat the piss out of it. It revs to 8k and I like to do that.
Should I be worried about premature wear? It's been about 3 weeks.

I mean their excuse about the software being current compared to the owners manual is bullshit right? Manufacturers don't just suddenly change that kind of thing.. right?

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    W30 oil is thicker and thus is suppose to provide more protection to you engine.

But if you are really worried about premature engine ware, stop reving it to 8000 RPM. The best rubbers in the world don't make an orgy in Uganda safer.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    I'm not a monster to her. It's meant to do it. vtec and all that jazz don't even turn till 5800. Just trying to illustrate I'm quite sporty with it. I understand hard driving will ware it. But I was curious about wrong oil WITH enthusiastic driving. I'm basically asking how pissed I should be that they gave me the wrong oil. How bad would that be for ware.

So it's safer? Can I put 5w40 in to be even safer? That doesn't make sense to me at all. I was always told Honda is really specific with things for reasons.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    You'll have more lubrication faster on startup, especially now during colder weather (some people even switch to lower viscosity oils for winter for this reason), but you'll also have less lubrication at full operating temp. It's not drastic - you didn't put in gear oil or something else ridiculous. You'll be fine till your next oil change. But if you're paranoid, get the correct viscosity directly from Honda/Acura and go back to the repair shop with proof in hand.

• Options
    darqnessdarqness KCMORegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    I'd go ahead and get it switched out. Follow the owner's manual over some mechanic's software. Shouldn't be any damage to your car from running a thinner oil for three weeks.

Doesn't the red line start at 7900 for the RSX? I'd be afraid to kick it past that even in a performance model. Especially if I'm concerned about longevity.

darqness on
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    Just put 5w30 full synthetic in it, not conventional and not blend, full synthetic. High revs love the synthetic because it doesn't break down as quickly as conventional. Apparently the k20z1 is 5w-30 where the k20z3 is 5w-20, so maybe they just misread your block number?

• Options
    JRoseyJRosey Registered User regular
    Dealerships and mechanic shops put their worst guys on oil change duty. Learn how to change your oil yourself. It's easy and fun, and if you're going to be hard on your car the least you can do is learn how to love it back.

I would follow the manufactures recommendation but you do need to factor in temperature and driving style. Do you live in Fargo? Go lower viscosity. Do you race your race car? Go synthetic.

• Options
    darqnessdarqness KCMORegistered User regular
    JRosey wrote: »
    Dealerships and mechanic shops put their worst guys on oil change duty. Learn how to change your oil yourself. It's easy and fun, and if you're going to be hard on your car the least you can do is learn how to love it back.

I would follow the manufactures recommendation but you do need to factor in temperature and driving style. Do you live in Fargo? Go lower viscosity. Do you race your race car? Go synthetic.

Truth. I learned how to a couple of years ago. A full synthetic oil change would cost me $60-$80 at the shop. Doing it myself is under $30.Takes maybe 30 minutes if you're messy like me.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I'm not a monster to her. It's meant to do it. vtec and all that jazz don't even turn till 5800. Just trying to illustrate I'm quite sporty with it. I understand hard driving will ware it. But I was curious about wrong oil WITH enthusiastic driving. I'm basically asking how pissed I should be that they gave me the wrong oil. How bad would that be for ware.

So it's safer? Can I put 5w40 in to be even safer? That doesn't make sense to me at all. I was always told Honda is really specific with things for reasons.

Rev the tits off her if you want. Just put the right oil back in it first. The engine is designed around certain tolerances, and it needs the correct weight oil to provide correct oil film shear strength at those tolerances. Drive it on down and have them swap the oil out for free. And then get right back to tagging the rev limiter with abandon! There's no point changing to a different weight for winter months or whatever, because that's the whole point of multigrade oils.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Check that sort of thing before you leave, and always make sure it's right.

I had a car (2k Merc Grand Marquis) that apparently the "website" said took 6 quarts of oil. The owner's manual (you still have that, right?) said 5 quarts. So I made them back the oil off and take the extra charge off the bill.

If the car says X, and the shop's website says Y, always demand X. Especially if you're not dealing with a reputable mechanic that you've dealt with for a long time.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    Parts guy who works at an actual Acura dealership here.

An RSX Type-S takes 5w30 while a RSX Base takes 5w20. They put the wrong oil in the car because they didn't put in the correct grade.

Take that free oil change, but provide your own synthetic oil.

We use a synthetic blend in our pumps.

Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490