As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dragon's Dogma] Dragon's Dogma 2 in the making. Please be excited.

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Akilae wrote: »
    Dragon's Dogma was probably one of the last few great games I just couldn't put down. It fulfilled a balance between Dark Souls type weighty combat, Skyrim style open world exploration, and musou style flash combat against an enemy horde. References to Berzerk also won me over. Not to mention, well:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LNwrv--DmU

Damnit, wish I never sold my copy of Dragon's Dogma. I think my pawn is still somewhere out there in the ether...

Did you get Dark Arisen?

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    I just can't get my Dragon's Dogma on without starting the game up to a piano piece leading into a guitar riff. Just isn't the same I tell you.

• Options
    Dang, the next Zelda could be Dragon's Dogma but with a horse. :open_mouth:

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Dang, the next Zelda could be Dragon's Dogma but with a horse. :open_mouth:

I've been contemplating trading my WiiU in but shit, I should wait to hear more about the Zelda game if that is even remotely a possibility.

• Options
    I have not played a Zelda game since Ocarina. Might grab a Wii U later.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    If you already have a Wii U now, you should definitely not trade it in. Xenoblade Chronicles X and Bayonetta 2 alone are enough to want to have one for me, and that's if you're not into any of the Nintendo 1st party stuff which is typically really good. The new Zelda definitely looks nice.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Yeah, stand by for next year.

• Options
    For me, the WiiU has just been a Monster Hunter device, which I don't even really have time to play online anymore. I mean, literally that's the only game I have for the system. There are some fine games, sure, but none of them hold any sort of appeal in my case. Different strokes and all that.

With MH4U looking like it will be 3DS only there was nothing for me to keep the system for, but it won't hurt to hear a bit more about the new Zelda game first.

• Options
    Well you're in the DD thread so you obviously like RPGs. Thus, you should've played Xenoblade Chronicles and be hyped for X too. =P I'm also a guy who doesn't have much software for his Wii U, but the system was relatively cheap and I knew i was going to get one for X and Bayonetta anyway so I don't mind not using it much.

• Options
    If there is another Marvel vs Capcom, could Grigori or Savan show up? :)

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    If there is another Marvel vs Capcom, could Grigori or Savan show up? :)

They'd put Feste in.

• Options
    http://www.siliconera.com/2014/07/30/capcom-closing-dragons-dogma-quest/
    In Japan, Capcom adapted Dragon’s Dogma as a free to play game called Dragon’s Dogma Quest. This was originally announced for PlayStation Vita, but ended up coming out on iOS first. Both versions of Dragon’s Dogma Quest are closing.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Aye, heard about that.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    Every time this thread updates, and it's not news about Dragon's Dogma 2, I cry a little bit. :'(

And now I'm part of the problem.

• Options
    Capcom's TGS lineup doesn't look great.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    edited September 2014
    So GAF is saying that Famitsu will have a 32 pages dedicated to a exclusive from Capcom: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=128214671&postcount=1

I think it's gonna be a new fighting game. 32 pages just for the roster and stuff.

But we can dream.

EDIT: According to translation from Bing the famitsu bit indicates "exclusive interviews". Itsuno?

TGS is close.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Interview Fournival.

• Options
    It was nothing. :(

Capcom takes another L.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Aw.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    So I just started playing this a bit ago. I've enjoyed the first parts so far, but I just made it to the big city, Gran Soren or something like that, and I'm getting a little bit concerned that the game is going to become too open for me. I tend to like my RPG's more linear than most people, more story-focused, etc.

How story-driven is this game going forward?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    So-so. It's a "the thing needs a beating, go do it"-story.

• Options
    Yeah, that part of the game is kinda dull. You don't need to all quests to go meet the king but you might miss some loot here and there.

The Catacombs is the most fun one out of those.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    It's an okay game, but I found it did have some issues being "too open." I like open games, but this one really presses on the backtracking, and would've benefited immensely IMO from letting you fast travel between landmarks without putting down those stones or whatever. I also felt the story was by far the weakest part of the game. If you're not into the combat enough to make it the main draw for you, I think you'll end up disappointed.

• Options
    It has great running, too.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    It's an okay game, but I found it did have some issues being "too open." I like open games, but this one really presses on the backtracking, and would've benefited immensely IMO from letting you fast travel between landmarks without putting down those stones or whatever. I also felt the story was by far the weakest part of the game. If you're not into the combat enough to make it the main draw for you, I think you'll end up disappointed.

Ah, that's unfortunate. The first bits had me hopeful for the story, and the combat is fun, but I don't know if it'll be enough to keep me in the game. I'll try, though.

Thanks for the info, all.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Some quests have a lot of script going on.

Was it hairstyle number 21 that had the most animation for running?

• Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I have been thinking about playing me some Dragon's Dogma. Do you still have to watch out with the romancing part of the game?

• Options
    Always.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    They changed it so buying and selling stuff doesn't affect relationships anymore, but it doesn't matter. You'll still end up with either the terrible duchess or that awful little girl no matter what you try. It's best to just accept the inevitable and enjoy the rest of the game while you can, then try to forget about that part after it happens.

• Options
    The inn guy doesn't get as much affection this time from interactions.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    This game is bonkers. I picked it up on a whim a few months back, and I've already done a dozen things that I've always wanted to do in an open-world action rpg. I don't think any other game can top being able to grab onto a griffin's neck right before it takes off, then caving its skull in with the pommel of your sword causing it to crater into the ground so your party can beat the hell out of it and set it on fire, all while you stand stoically next to the thing just waiting to deal it a massive overhand killing blow.

It helps (me at least) that I look like Guts. Really sells the whole wandering badass thing I've got going on.

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    There are 2 Berzerk armos in the game if you a quest to unlock the merchant's shop.

Guts_and_Griffith.jpg

It's a shame warriors are restricted 3 skills at a time.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm using Guts armor set and the two-handed sword that kinda looks like his. Doing that quest was the first thing I did after getting to the castle city. It was really hard (holy hell, those trolls), but soooo worth it.

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The romance stuff honestly isn't that terrible, once you figure out how it goes down. Once you complete the quest Deny Salvation, it's locked at the person with the highest affection. In the event of multiple people with maxed affection, it's the person you talked to last. The solution is easy. Before you travel to the keep to do the quest, walk up to the person you want. Give them an Arisen's Bond (which maxes out their affection), then go directly to the keep. The only point where it gets tricky is if you happen to want somebody who gets removed from the game. Then there's planning and shit to be done.

It's still ultimately a stupid system all around. But it's not hard to avoid getting stuck with somebody you don't want.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    There's one more romance-checkpoint, I think at "hand in wakestones".

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    They changed it so buying and selling stuff doesn't affect relationships anymore, but it doesn't matter. You'll still end up with either the terrible duchess or that awful little girl no matter what you try. It's best to just accept the inevitable and enjoy the rest of the game while you can, then try to forget about that part after it happens.

I always got the blonde girl. You know the shop one with the daggers.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
This discussion has been closed.