Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Malifaux]2 Ed- Ripples of Fate! Victorian Horror skirmishgame

1242526272830»

• admanbadmanb the bored genie Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    admanb wrote: »
    When you say
    self confessed 'hyper competitive' tournament player

I think what you mean is
    bad player

Well I also found out he is a henchman in another area of the city, and apparently badgers our local henchman about doing a tournament between the groups because his players are better.

Sure, that's douchey in a way I expect game-store people to be douchey.
    Basically that group started all turning up in the first week of the slow grow, brought no models but demanded to be given games, so people broke out their collections to let them have games.

Wait... what?
    That henchman looks like he's also managed to get his way into the league without paying the entry fee, which bothers me a lot because my brother and nephew couldn't join because they couldn't afford the entry fee so close to Christmas.

Okay, are you sure this is a real thing and not just an elaborate game-store reinterpretation of like, West Side Story?

Nisi
    Like, the idea of a whole group of mini wargamers showing up at another store without their models and demanding to be loaned models to play games with is so absurd I can only imagine a group of these motherfuckers sitting around the table of their dank-ass game store and some Comic Book Guy lookin dude saying, "let's see what we can get these betafags* to do."

*yes I am assuming these guys are all GamerGaters.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited March 20
    No, not joking. They decided to make a road trip out to the store when they knew a slow grow was starting that week, got there, and started grabbing tables and asking people to borrow miniatures. Then, not being in the league, started random games on the tables reserved for the slow grow.

It was very bizarre. It was my first ever case of 'wargamer horror story'. It wasn't bad really, but just super disruptive. That was week 1. There's been 2 more weeks now, and they turn up every week of the slow grow, taking tables reserved for the slow grow, playing random games. After week 1 they brought their models (well the other henchman still hasn't - that blind crew he used against me was made from the store henchmans collection).

If there wasn't potentially a guilder involved, I'd have probably just left the rest of the league since they've been so disruptive.

And yes, the other henchman how now done 3 weeks without bringing his own models, seems to have bypassed the entry fee (which was to buy a crew box from the store at latest 1 week before the league started to support the store and to be used throughout the league), and is somehow on the league ladder.

-Loki- on
  • NisiNisi Registered User regular
    Nastrond wrote: »
    I really don't get people who give up in Malifaux. Sure, you might not have a prayer of winning, but you do have a prayer of scoring one more point than you currently have, or denying them from scoring even more points.

How are you going to get better if you don't practice those two things?

As someone who is often short on time I will concede when it's clear how the next few turns are going to go. If there is still something to learn I'll hang in as long as I can. I have lost 98% of my games, so majority of the time I'm playing to learn as I know there is a fairly good chance I am not going to win.

Saturday I played a game with Asami vs Zipp. Probably one of my best games ever, and I was on track to win... then for some reason in turn 4 I got too focused on killing meaningless targets and missed out on the three points that would have maxed out my score and won me the game. Hopefully next game I'll remember to focus on VP not kills. After turn 4 it was clear I couldn't make up the points in order to secure victory, pretty obvious how the turn was going to go for both of us, so we just talked through it and agree the game ended at 9-8 in Zipp's favor.

steam_sig.png
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Pretty excited for tomorrow's game as I'm trialling a Beckoner with the Lucius/Dashel/Riflemen gunline. Hopefully I can lure targets out of engagement and into the open before filling them full of lead.

TingleSigBar.gif
    OMG it was a horror show. My first game against Ressers, Nicodem to be specific. How do you deal with the endless wave of figures!? I think the tone was set when he raised a 9 stone Hanged on turn 1 and had it kill my 9 stone Thrall (who I had considered invincible) for his first action on turn 2.

To be fair my opponent had amazing cards (more than once he double face carded a negative flip) but still. Ouch.

The Beckoner probably wasn't worth the 7 stones just for the lure.

TingleSigBar.gif
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited March 22
    The thing with Nicodem is that he's always got a full hand because he draws so often so his summons are pretty reliable. Remember to make sure they remember summons come in Slow. I see that forgotten a lot.

Usual advice is to play defensive, focus on schemes, and look for an opening with a beater if he overextends Sebastian or Nicodem.

-Loki- on
    -Loki- wrote: »
    The thing with Nicodem is that he's always got a full hand because he draws so often so his summons are pretty reliable. Remember to make sure they remember summons come in Slow. I see that forgotten a lot.

That's because they rarely come in slow with Nicodem, as any Undead within 6" of him is immune to it. :P

The way to beat him is definitely to play the schemes. The summoning waves are tough to handle, but they do weaken the Nico player's hand and the rest of his list doesn't have much in the way of action economy.

But Nico and the Vulture make things immune to slow :(

TingleSigBar.gif
    edited March 22
    I need to take advantage of the fact that you see the board before list making as well. It was a really swampy board and some unimpeded would have gone down a treat.

Edit: It was also my first time facing Killjoy. He's quite the handful.

Processing the day after I can see where I can have done a lot better. I also made the mistake of picking a crew and then picking the schemes that best fit it rather than picking a crew to fit the schemes. Lessons learned.

Jam Warrior on
    TingleSigBar.gif
    So further woes at our slow grow. I'm not the only one unhappy with the current state of it. The other group of players have paid up now to play in the league, but apparently even the store isn't happy. Other than the entry fee, they don't buy at the store, and even recommend people go to other places to play and buy, they're only there for the league. Personally, I told them I'm not likely to turn up for the last week, which is tomorrow, because I just don't have the enthusiasm for this league anymore, and I'm not the only one. The henchman sounds like he's in damage control mode, asking people to come in and talk about what they think is going wrong and how he can run the next even better, which is good that he's interested in taking on criticism. I'm about 50/50 on turning up.

Getting the store owner to enforce the rules would probably help. If they take booked tables but don't play the game it was booked for then kick them off. If they haven't paid up or didn't bring their figures then they don't get to play.

In a situation where the rules are being properly enforced, children like that will hopefully sulk off and let the adults play.

TingleSigBar.gif
    edited March 27
    I'm getting frustrated at the Malifaux supply chain. New figures release dates seem to slowly push back and back into infinity. I'm desperate to get an Austringer but they have been out of supply worldwide for ages with no word as to when they'll reappear. And the official page release schedule only goes up to a very inaccurate March.

Someone on the FB group I moaned in says that their FLGS ordered £600 worth of stuff and the UK supplier was able to provide them with £150 of it.

I know China and boat shipping and Kickstarters and etc but an official word or two to acknowledge what the hell is going on would be nice.

Jam Warrior on
    TingleSigBar.gif
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Someone on the FB group I moaned in says that their FLGS ordered £600 worth of stuff and the UK supplier was able to provide them with £150 of it.

Hm. I wonder if something like that is why my FLGS seems to be reducing their stock of Malifaux stuff over time. It sells but they're not getting many new releases in.