Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

The PA Report - The PlayStation 4 sold one million units in 24 hours, a number that is even crazier

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin

imageThe PA Report - The PlayStation 4 sold one million units in 24 hours, a number that is even crazier in context

Sony has announced that over one million PlayStation 4 consoles were sold to consumers in the first 24 hours of availability. It’s important to put some context around that number in order to drive home the power of that number.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• streeverstreever Registered User regular
    This is an interesting piece--thanks for putting the console wars into a deeper context. I'm not going to buy either (I haven't owned a console since SNES!) but it is interesting to see what the big manufacturers are doing.

• AnxaAnxa Registered User regular
    As much as I like to pretend I'm a Sony fan, I own enough Microsoft products and Nintendo devices that I'm just glad we're all in healthy competition.

That being said, there's really no way to twist this news to the point where it isn't excellent for Sony.

• GunganGungan Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    That is impressive... You could add a +1 from me if there were a launch title I actually wanted to play. In the meantime I wait for a Costco bundle with a game I actually want.

I have a feeling that the price is a big contributor here. The last time a PlayStation launched at something ridiculous like $600 or $700 wasn't it? I don't remember what the Xbox 360 launched at, but I have a feeling that having the newest hotness available for $400 really convinced a lot of people to buy early instead of waiting for a price drop.

Furthermore, I know for a fact not everyone got their pre-ordered unit on launch day. My wife's cousin pre-ordered one but had to wait until today... so he's just stroking his copies of Killzone and BF4.

Small typo:

"The Wii U sold 400,000 units in its first week of sales. If you combine the overall sales of the Wii and Wii across their first week, you match the first day of the PlayStation 4. Let that sink in a bit."

One of those Wii's should be a Wii U.

Gungan on
  • Conniption-FitConniption-Fit Registered User regular
    This comes at as a surprise to me, not because of the product, but the current environment. I assumed more people were like me and $400 right now is just not on the table. Especially since without BC I can't squeeze any trade credit out of my PS3.

• FrenchToastWaffleFrenchToastWaffle Registered User regular
    I think the most important point is in the second to last paragraph. What this says to me is that this console launch had more units available than any other launch (which is still commendable).

• TiberiusEsuriensTiberiusEsuriens Registered User regular
    Good luck buying any even if you do decide to. I'd love to get a console, but I was talking with my store buddies and they said the fact that the PS4 cleared shelves so fast means that we probably won't be seeing anymore for 2 or 3 weeks. Apparently the preorders on Amazon are also still backed up, so even if we purchase one online it won't ship probably until late January. Just shows that if they had managed to pump even more out, they would still be sold out. It's bad news for us that got left out, and I wonder if that burning desire for a console will push anyone to get an XOne, or even a WiiU when the One inevitably also sells out.

• aecheanaechean Registered User regular
    Ben,

You have:

"Sony nailed almost ever aspect of this launch."

I think you mean:

"Sony nailed almost every aspect of this launch."

• aecheanaechean Registered User regular
    It might not be worth $400 alone, but Resogun is fantastic, and I'm really digging Killzone, COD, and ACIV.

Obviously they aren't all exclusive, but the SO MUCH BETTER UI and online functionality of this device swayed me from XB to PS.

• TridusTridus Registered User regular
    Lots of pent up demand combined with good logistics to fuel this number, but it'll slow down as these things inevitably do. The real question with the competition will be how is it doing relative to the Xbox One in six months?

It does show just how much trouble the Wii U is in, though.

• stealth20kstealth20k Registered User regular
    you cant compare because its not the same release date or price

• BrinkmanBrinkman Registered User regular
    Glad you included the shipping logistics on this. Having ready and shipping 1 million consoles is very impressive from a logistics standpoint. Good for Sony, they just haven't made me one of their customers since the PSX ;)

It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. -Thomas Jefferson
  • iconmastericonmaster Registered User regular
    Lo and behold -- make the best gaming machine you can, let consumers do as they like with their physical purchases, and price the whole thing reasonably... then reap the rewards.

• 2late2die2late2die Registered User regular
    This actually makes thing doubly hard on MS now, because I imagine not everybody who bought the PS4 will want an XBO, but even fewer could afford it especially just a week after buying PS4.

• mrthewhitemrthewhite Registered User regular
    I've always thought the idea that console sales will deflate was ridiculous. From my reading that assumption was based on 2 flawed facts; First that the Wii U sold poorly, which it did but there were a number of factors including poor marketing and poor launch line ups. Second was the fact that last gen sales were slowing down which seemed to ignore that fact that they were out for 8+ years and everyone and their dog already bought won, so it's no surprise that less consoles are selling in the last year.

• Casey ReeceCasey Reece Registered User regular
    Looks like people still enjoy spending less than half a grand, owning their purchases, and getting an actual new machine to play games on (because, waste aside, owning a new system always feels good). It's already been said below, Sony played it simple and straight-forward. None of their "We're Sony - We're number one!" bullshit that usually accompanies their launches alongside hardware shortages, software shortages, and an overall assumption that people will just be too happy to lap up said bullshit.

Maybe seven years of not selling systems or games made them pine for simpler times.

Maybe they realized that, as awesome as the Internet is, it doesn't have to be connected to everything, and the same good feeling you got twenty years ago when you turned on your video gaming machine hasn't really gone anywhere. That gamers, as a bunch, will inherently treasure being treated well, and will inherently plan their revenge (forever) should they feel they're not.

I wonder what everyone over at MS HQ is thinking right now. A little bit of pie on the ol' face for this one. It's like the guys sitting around the X-Box One designing division suddenly jumped up at the news of the PS4 hitting a million sales, "Oh man! Look at that! If you build a machine that plays video games, people will still line up to buy it. Shows us a thing or two, eh guys?"

Sure - the X-Bone hasn't started selling yet. So the "race" isn't really on. But still, you have to wonder, how many of those million PS4 sales would have originally been X-Bone sales prior to their E3 disaster? I mean, essentially Microsoft published their treatsie on the nullification of freedoms and rights that you, their consumer, just wouldn't need any more. I really wouldn't be surprised if that was the tipping point between "fun video-game machine" and "more of Microsoft's usual bullshit" for a good number of the people who saved $100 yesterday.

• simlandsimland Registered User regular
    There are a few economic reasons that help to inflate this number.

1) It's significantly cheaper than any other major release. The price has gone down and comparative purchasing power of the dollar has also gone down. If you were to think of a Console in terms of Bread, you could eat a lot less equivalent bread if you paid in PS4s. Meaning, this is one of the cheapest consoles ever.

2) Ebay/Craigslist has created a secondary market that previously did not exist. You will find people buying the consoles with the intent to resell. Sony could care less in terms of sales, but it may have a real impact on game sales or add on sales. The likely impact of this is that the consoles one would buy over the following 2 months will come from an individual, rather than a retail outlet. Possibly no impact in the long run for SONY, remains to be seen.

3) It's been 6-7 years since the last launch. That is about 50% more time for demand to build up compared to any other console.

The XBone launch should be really interesting as they will not get the consumers who were willing to throw dollars at the first system out of the gate.

• BalorothBaloroth Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    To be fair, the Wii only sold 600,000 consoles in the first eight days because Nintendo didn't produce enough for sale. Retail locations were sold out of Wii's for a good year or more after launch (seriously, I was working in retail during that period, I remember it well).

Now, that was Nintendo's fault, obviously, but it's worth mentioning because first-week sales are an indicator of how much was produced as much as how high demand was.

Baloroth on
  • blaster manblaster man Registered User new member
    SIMLAND:
    HUH?

1) There has been very modest inflation. The total buying power of individuals is actually LOWER than that of folks during the last launches because the recession has driven down wages to the point that, adjusted for inflation, they're lower than they were then.
    http://www.ssa.gov/oact/cola/AWI.html
    http://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm
    $44,321.00 has the same buying power as $38,159 in 2006. Point being, it's not appropriate to just account for inflation of the dollar because that doesn't give the whole story.

2) eBay and Craigslist have been around a long time and flippers were highly active in the 2005/2006 console launches...

3) This is true. There is pent up demand. When Wii U launched, I was able to walk into stores and see some on the shelf. They met demand quickly. In this case demand has not yet been met.

• dzenithdzenith Registered User regular
    I think having higher availability and initial sales is going to make Sony the early winner this console season. The more they can sell early, the less xboxes will sell. From a business standpoint, having the less expensive product release first will give them a strong competitive advantage. Most people won't be buying two systems at launch.

It also puts publishers in an interesting position. If the initial sales favor Sony by a large margin, it means there will be more intial demand for games on PS4 than xbox. If there is more demand for PS4 games, publishers will make more games for the PS4, which will further drive its demand.

• ampsonicampsonic Registered User new member
    Is the PS4 supply constrained or can you still get them fairly easily?

• pasmithpasmith Registered User regular
    I'm really enjoying the PS4 and I hope to start really enjoying the Xbox One come Friday.

The big question is: what comes next? Are we going to have to wait for March and Infamous: Second Son for our next big game? I know we'll see a bunch of indies before then.

Hopefully Drive Club will hit in January and maybe Watch Dogs in February... basically Sony needs a steady stream of good games (I'm assuming, of course, that Drive Club and Watch Dogs will be good) to keep the momentum going.

• BonafideSupramanBonafideSupraman Registered User regular
    I feel less obligated to support a console right out of the gate this generation than I did last generation.

With the PS3 vs. 360, I felt like I was making a choice (however small my own contribution may have been) that would impact the future of gaming. The 360 approach seemed to be a low cost of entry, and then to nickle and dime you every step of the way. With the 360, you had to pay for HD movie support, wifi, and to use multiplayer. All of these were baked into the PS3 at launch. With the PS3, you could buy any laptop hard drive you wanted to upgrade your storage. With the 360, you had to get 360 branded (overpriced) hard drives, or else jump through technical hoops that were past my capability. Additional, although now forgotten, the debate between HD DVD and Blu Ray was far from decided at the time. I personally thought that Blu Ray offered better value for the consumer going forward.

I think PS3 ultimately won on the Blu Ray front, but lost most everything else. Sure HD movie support and wifi are in both now, but you have to play for multiplayer for both, a cost that is not to be sneezed at.

So picking a console during last generation felt significant to me in a way that this console generation doesn't. This generation feels more about console exclusives than anything else, which has been the hallmark of picking one console over another since there have been choices.

I'm not complaining mind you, I think in a lot of ways it's better this way, but I'm just saying the launches this time around feel different, and less significant, to last time.

edited November 2013
    I'm not sure $50 a year is particularly significant Bonafidesupraman. Particularly since you get a new free game practically every month as a part of PS Plus. If you have a Vita too, well you benefit there from the same subscription.

That's not even including the free game library you get by default.

Gungan on
  • BonafideSupramanBonafideSupraman Registered User regular
    @ Gungan: I'm a Playstation Plus subscriber since it launched, but basically the only reason is that I have more money than sense (and I keep forgetting to unsubscribe). They have free games, but if you're an avid gamer like me, the chances are high that you've either already bought the game, or you have no interest in it.

I play all of my PC games online for free. I have yet to see any benefit conferred on anyone who paid for the right to play multiplayer over those who have done it for free on the PC.

I may sound hypocritcal here: I'm bitching about paying extra for something that I'm already paying for anyway, and can easily afford. For me, it's not the paying itself, it's the principle of the thing. I guess in a sense I'm fighting for the rights of 14 year old me, who did not have a steadily paying job, and had to rely on the whims of those who did for access to gaming.

@BONAFIDE

Oh believe me, bitching over the principle of the thing is perfectly justified, and I did too in the last generation.

I'm just saying that it's not really that significant a cost, you just have to be mindful that a new game might pop up next month that you might want to play. I know that Sleeping Dogs was free on PS Plus, and if I had PS Plus I would have gotten that.

I'm not just referring to the library of perpetually free games. I mean the new stuff that becomes available to download for a month then changes the next month.

• ShumwayShumway Registered User new member
    The tiniest of oversights, so forgive me, but the Wii launched Nov 17th, a week before black Friday and two days before the PS3. I think that helps put that 600,000 in context for what Nintendo accomplished 7 years ago with the weaker system. Thanks.

• Exley97Exley97 Registered User regular
    I think an important thing to remember about these console launch numbers is supply, i.e. the number of consoles the manufacturer was able to produce before the launch. That Sony was able to get 1 million units shipped and on the shelves alone is pretty impressive.

Now contrast that to Sony's PS3 launch, where the vast majority of retail outlets sold out of their inventory -- but Sony was only able to produce around 400,000 units for the North American launch (actually, I seem to remember that number being less as Sony was unable to get its original goal of launch units ready -- anyone else recall this?). In any event, I have a feeling that if Sony had 1 million PS3 units at the ready for the launch back in 2006, we'd probably be marveling at that number too. So I guess my point is, this had a lot do with logistics and supply side economics, not just end user demand.

• Baron_GrinnettBaron_Grinnett Registered User regular
    Completely meaningless. It would only be news if the either the PS4 or Xbox One failed to sell out at launch.

A more interesting comparison would be next March when the sales channels are fully stocked with consoles.

• OsmedirezOsmedirez Registered User regular
    ..... Biggest number is best number! /caveman

• BastableBastable Registered User regular
    Man everyone just calm down it's just the biggest hardware sale in the history of the industry, on what is the competitor's home turf. It means nothing . . .

Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

• HazHaz Registered User regular
    Not to discredit Sony's achievement in being able to make one million units available for resale at the North American launch, but I believe that a significant aspect of this succesful launch is that the console uses an x86 based CPU. Since this processor architecture has been around and in mass production for decades, it is much less likely to cause a bottleneck in the production process. I believe that prior to the PS3 release, Sony was having issues getting the yields they were expecting from Cell processor fabrication. I suspect that if consoles architectures continue to converge with PC architectures, we'll see smoother and smoother launches.

• karockaroc Registered User regular
    All the worrying about slowing sales the last few years needed to account for the fact that the ungimped versions of the 360 and PS3 both still cost $250 or more. Five years after launch the PS2 cost $129 - if there had been a $129 PS3 in 2011 (hell, if there had been a $199 PS3 in 2011), what would sales have been like? A little higher, maybe?

Compared to shelling out $250-300 for an eight year old console console with a hard drive, is it any shock that people are lining up to get the new hotness for $400?

• OldSchoolChickenOldSchoolChicken Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    @HAZ

You're absolutely right, and it's a fact the article would do well to mention! PS4 (and Xbox One) are less unique and experimental than past systems have been (not to say that this detracts from them) and the manufacturing process is more established.

Still, excellent logistics all around.

OldSchoolChicken on
  • halycon404halycon404 Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    @Haz Its probably more to do with APUs are only a couple steps removed from a SOC. They don't have to worry about CPU supply or GPU supply running behind each other, the northbridge is integrated into the chip as well meaning boards are easier to manufacture. All and all, from a system builder perspective, so long as AMD can deliver the number of chips ordered the logistics chain is heavily streamlined. Even though, from a pure architecture standpoint an APU is several orders of magnitude more complex than the simple x86 CPU you think it is. Really though, to me, the good news isn't that Sony shipped 1 million PS4s. Its that AMD shipped 1 million APUs. Long term, that's a much bigger game changer than anything the PS4 or XboxOne are going to do.

halycon404 on
  • er910er910 Registered User regular
    @Exley97 I doubt Sony would have sold 1 million PS3's. I worked at Best Buy when PS3 launched. We sold out launch day, but got a shipment in later that week. We had a whole pallet sitting in front of the store. People walked buy and asked me if that pile of boxes were PS3's. I said yes and asked if they wanted to buy one. They would say no because it cost too much.

• SoldancerSoldancer Registered User regular
    @Bastable

Thanks for the LOL, I approve of this message. ;)

• FTEnslaFTEnsla Registered User new member
    Don't forget with the promise of a lot more entertainment, including TV, Xbox will get a fair bit of money from a different audience on top of their existing targets.

• VikingTyVikingTy Registered User new member
    I love how Xbox fanboys automatically assume that the XboxOne will surpass the 1 Million unit mark.
    What are your reasons besides blatant assumptions?

Plus retailers were offering more PS4 preorders than Xboxone preorders (Nothing to do with demand, just numbers Sony and Microsoft gave to stores in regards to projected console supply)

@Bastable

North America is not the play stations home turf. Some of you need to do a simple google search and make it more convincing you know what you're talking about.

I hate fanboys on both sides of the fence.

I'm excited to get my Xboxone and I'm enjoying my PS4.

I don't have to choose one console and defend it blindly to the death.

edited November 2013
    @FTENSLA

Eh? The Xbox doesn't magically give you TV if you're not already paying for it. All it does it put a Xbox themed TV guide overlay on a TV source you already own.

Gungan on
  • miyamotomiyamoto Registered User new member
    Great article, Ben. I see the light!