As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Marky Mark is the [Lone Survivor]

NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
So i just got out of an screening of the upcoming film "Lone Survivor" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1091191/?ref_=nv_sr_1
I felt compelled to share my thoughts on it.
My first thought is that its hard not to compare this film to "Black Hawk Down" as they are both true stories based on botched military missions. I sometimes take issue with "based on a true story" movies, because i never know how much Hollywood is interjected into the story and i almost feel manipulated watching them. That being said, i thought this movie was incredible.
The opening credits show us actual footage of Navy Seals training, and gives you a taste of exactly what these men do to protect us.I have never been in the service, and i respect what these men and women do. Seeing these opening credits i know that i couldn't do what they do, and regardless of your personal feelings towards the military, i would be shocked if you cant respect the discipline they display.
I also enjoyed the juxtaposition of the gritty home made film before the shiny polished Hollywood one started.
The movie opens on a military base, where you get a glimpse of what the daily life is there. And how the soldiers entertain themselves. This leads into the standard, "here's the mission" scene, where they lay out the plan that we all know in the audience is going to end up in the crapper.
The actual mission is intense, and there is a very human moment where the four soldiers have a tough decision to make, that will directly affect the outcome of the operation. When everything falls apart and the action starts, the whole theater was gripping the edge of their seats. Both my brother and i commented to each other at the same time that the lack of a score during the action just upped the intensity level.
Now im not a fan of "shaky camera" in the least. I know it's supposed to "put you in the action" but it just feels lazy to me. Peter Berg does use some, but he does it in a manner that shows how it can be done well. The editing is also spot on.
The acting is great. The characters feel pretty developed for the brief amount of time we spend with them before the action begins.

I don't remember the last time i heard audible gasps, or sighs in a theater, but i heard it a lot this evening. Simple shots of the Taliban fighter pulling out an RPG or a machine gun sent a wave of uncomfortable reaction of concern through the whole audience. It was pretty amazing.

I have also never seen this much crying in a theater. People were moved, and it was hard not to be. The film is book ended with real footage, this time though it's not of the Seals training, but of actual photos and video of the men we just saw in the film. Its pretty hard to put an actual face to the brutal deaths we just witnessed played out, and keep a dry eye. It really sank in that "wow this really happened". Again i wondered how much Hollywood was interjected, but ultimately i didn't care. Nothing in the movie was a "that could never happen" type moment, and im not going to nit pick the "how do we really know he said that, or did this."

It was a tough movie to watch, and im glad they showed the human element at the end. There was one couple that decided to leave while they were showing the pictures of the real soldiers KIA, and it felt so disrespectful. I wanted to shout at them to sit down and show some respect, but the silence in the theater was deafening, and all eyes were glued to the screen that was showing pictures of fathers holding their children, husbands dancing with their wives at their weddings, or just the smiling happy faces of soldiers who's lives ended in that mission. This was the breaking point for many people in the theater, and you could hear people openly crying, and as the credits rolled you could see people not know weather to clap, to remain seated, or to leave. The theater was as somber as a wake, and people slowly and silently trickled out, wiping their eyes.

Lone Survivor is totally worth seeing, but it's an emotional roller coaster. It actually has a great deal of humorous moments mixed in with the adrenaline charged ones, and the emotional ones.
After seeing it i went home and hugged my son extra tight. I can't imaging being a family member of one of those fallen soldiers and watching this movie.

Anyway...just my two cents.