Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

The PA Report - Crimson Dragon’s economy will be overhauled before launch

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin

imageThe PA Report - Crimson Dragon’s economy will be overhauled before launch

Crimson Dragon is pretty much a giant pile, but at least the game's creative team is stepping up to try to improve things before launch. I complained about the game's economy in our review, and it looks like many of the worst aspects are going to be adjusted to make things a little easier on players.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• tazsultazsul Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Always good to see developer react to feedback. It's a shame it's so late in the progress, but I can't blame then. There was nothing but love for this game right up until the review copies went out.

Changes:
    Easy game mode, check.
    More reward for your time, aka less grind, check.
    Cheaper upgrades, check.

That actually does address just about everything but the last gen graphics...
    Hmm now I feel like I'll try it. I can toss $20 at a so so game. Rail shooters are so scarce these days I can't help but play them.

tazsul on
  • Oblivion_NecroninjaOblivion_Necroninja Registered User regular
    Hm...
    I hope this means we'll be getting another review after the overhaul.
    I can't imagine that it'll manage to be GOOD without fixing the level design problems, though, and "$20 game with F2P elements" just rubs me the WRONG way, conceptually.

• matthewgmmatthewgm Registered User regular
    I applaud their efforts. But they should have known for months that there was more wrong with it than the economy.

I wonder if this game would have been significantly better if it hadn't been a launch title? How much more time would it have needed to not be bad?

• A_Wild_NeurobiologistA_Wild_Neurobiologist Registered User regular
    If games have kind of been relegated to the dump, is it worth continued coverage if they are only making marginal improvements?

• GunganGungan Registered User regular
    It's Microsoft's LAIR. Nuff said.

• dbrowdydbrowdy Registered User regular
    @Ben: Do you think these changes will make it worth the $20 initial investement, though? It still sounds like it has a F2P economy with a hefty up-front investment and those two things don't jive for me. You've played it, will the F2P bits be marginalized enough to make the $20 worth it now?

@DBrowdy
    It reads like that is their goal, but I doubt there will be another round of reviews before midnight. I'm willing to risk $20, it will be good enough. I can report back, if you like, on how well it works live.

edited November 2013
    @TAZSUL: Yeah, I get that it's their goal, but I'm curious if Mr. "fuck this game so hard" thinks it's worth $20 now. lol Of course, I'm happy to hear what you think. I have a feeling Forza, KI, Kinekt Sports and that Golf game will keep me busy enough for a bit... hopefully until the Destiny beta. ;)

dbrowdy on
    @DBrowdy
    Don't forget Elder Scrolls Online is supposed go be free to try this first weekend. If you are in to that. :)

ORLY? I did NOT know that. On the Xbone or PC?

XBox One I think. Disclaimer: this info is something someone told me not something I read. Lol. It's not my kind of game so I never looked into it.

Google tells me that closed beta invites just went out. That must be what they meant. I can't imagine they'd offer a free weekend this early...

That makes a lot more sense. We'll be busy enough as is it seems. Work is going to be unbearable tomorrow, but I don't get my system until the afternoon.

I'm going to be "working from home" tomorrow afternoon. >.>

If you're still reading this, my Xbox came yesterday so I had a chance to check it out already. I still am not touching this game until I get some positive reviews on the changes from someone who's played tho...

Yeah I'm still reading. Such a slow work day... I haven't got to play it yet, but I'll get back with my quick review once I do.

@Dbrowdy
    Played the first few levels on classic difficultly, and have checked out the store. Everything seems reasonably priced to me for the gold accrual. It's random packs in 2 grades with a separate cash grade, just like ME3. You get a login bonus, free gold/items, each day. Each mission has bonus objectives that grant gold, and there seem to be weekly quests. I'll know more later. Oh and they are giving me bonus premium currency for clearing the objectives some times.

Difficulty: The classic mode seems fine to me so far. Disclaimer: I have played a ton of rail shooters. I have never died, not even learning my controls. The targeting reticule takes a bit to get used to, and the guns (so to speak) seem like they may have a rotation speed ala MechWarrior.

More later. I would love to hear Ben's opinion on the changes.

• EssThreeEssThree Registered User regular
    How about putting an option in to have no voice acting? lol

Thanks for the update. I'm not sold on it, TBH. Then again, Forza has consumed all of my free time so I don't feel the need for another new game just yet...

edited November 2013
    @Dbrowdy
    Ok now I'm several hours more into the game. I can definitively say the rebalanced economy has eliminated any temptation to spend $. I have always either gad the gold to buy new dragons as they unlock, or been very very close. I have noticed a snowballing effect though, which likely is what resulted in such mixed reviews. The better you play, the better your gold accrual, the more gear you can buy, the easier the game is repeat. I still haven't tried out casual mode, but it's clearly not there for me.

tazsul on