As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Assassin's Creed] Syndicate is out and is apparently pretty damn good

• Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    I get the feeling with Unity they will be sticking to Paris and have no naval combat. They will spin the naval combat off into a new separate IP, or the other AC game. They can't keep doing the naval combat every time and bringing it back to focusing on one city like in Brotherhood can lead to very well designed urban environment and allow them to remix the current AC gameplay and add some new features. This is their first "real" next-gen game (as Black Flag was split-gen) and I think they will narrow the scope geographically and gameplay wise so they can refine and perfect the core AC formula, while adding new features.

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    I don't see why this setting precludes naval elements. Might not be the focus, but this is basically the same era as black flag. If it goes into the napoleonic era there'll be plenty of ship combat. Even if it stays in the revolution era France was still a big naval power so I'm sure you'll be able to mess about. Unless of course they've decided against it and want to focus on cities, but nothing about the setting itself says that.

Also I just watched 47 ronin and the end bit where the ronin storm the fortress made me want a feudal japan assassins so bad. Ultimately I want Greece first tho, with trireme naval battles.

Because it doesn't make sense? In 3, you're the Colonists fighting the British in the Revolutionary War. The inclusion of naval combat made sense, but was basically a mini-game. In 4, they promoted it to main campaign status by setting the game in the Golden Age of Piracy. In Unity, the game is about internal French politics one way or another. So... why would you be sailing regularly and who would you be sailing against? Just because boats existed doesn't make them relevant to the storyline...

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Okay, some of these count if they cover the full extent of the French Revolution (1789-1799)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Naval_battles_of_the_French_Revolutionary_Wars

If they stop at the founding of the French Republic maybe not, but honestly? I see the execution of the King being somewhere around the middle of the game. I reckon it'll go all the way to ol Napsy declaring himself Emperor. (Probably they'll do the actual Napoleonic Wars in an expansion or three.) Or maybe they'll just do a bunch of time skips. They love those.

Basically, soon as the French Republic was founded in 1792 they went and had a scrap with the rest of Europe. All the other kings were all "OI DONT TOUCH KINGS" and they were all "NO"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Coalition

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Coalition

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Actually, didn't at least one of those wars start with some radicals going "LET'S GET RID OF ALL THE KINGS" ?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    If this is this year's edition, the core gameplay was probably mostly locked down by the time AC4 came out.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Hopefully it speaks of them not wanting to do the same thing twice in a row. ACV: Black Flag 2 would've been a hard sell imo.

?????????????

I was thinking of the stagnation from Brotherhood to Revelations, forgetting about the improvements from AC2 to AssBro. Yeah, a Black Flag 2: Flag Harder would be good. Black Flag With A Vengeance wouldn't.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Actually, didn't at least one of those wars start with some radicals going "LET'S GET RID OF ALL THE KINGS" ?

It wouldn't surprise me if someone thought "Hey we got rid of one King and the world hasn't collapsed in on itself, so...."

But the coalition was all the other King's getting really worried that people were offing Kings. They didn't want it to trend.

CENSORSHIP!!! BIG BROTHER!!!!

Yeah humanity really has not changed all that much.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    This would be the perfect setting to show the darkside of the Assassin's philosophy.

Turns out giving power to the people and tearing down the status quo by itself doesn't result in utopia. The Assassins are big on promises of a better world, but they've never really done it. Removing bad people isn't the same thing as building a better tomorrow.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    This would be the perfect setting to show the darkside of the Assassin's philosophy.

Turns out giving power to the people and tearing down the status quo by itself doesn't result in utopia. The Assassins are big on promises of a better world, but they've never really done it. Removing bad people isn't the same thing as building a better tomorrow.

Please have Robespierre be an Assassin, Please have Robespierre be an Assassin, Please have Robespierre be an Assassin...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I want a Boshin War AC. There has been like one game that I know covers it, and that's Fall of the Samurai.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    I want a Boshin War AC. There has been like one game that I know covers it, and that's Fall of the Samurai.

I want a Boxer Rebellion, Sepoy Rebellion, South American Wars of Independence, Cuban War of Indepdence, Phillipine War of Independence, Ancient Middle East, or Scramble for Africa AC.

Just please not another AC set in Europe.

• Options

I feel like they tried to do this in 3, but erred by not having any of the most important Revolutionaries be important Assassins. (I guess Sam Adams was an Assassin?) Instead, they were just "Patriots" while the bad guys were all Templars. Washington as an Assassin (perhaps retired?) would have been interesting considering all the betraying of Conner he does.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    I'm guessing Templars are probably behind the revolution, either as a cover or trying to sway things into getting one of their own in power and or things are going badly for them under the current status quo.

Sticking their dick in everything, as usual.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Kadoken wrote: »

I'd adore an AC set in the decades following the opening of Japan. The Boshin War, Republic of Ezo, Shinsengumi, foreign influences, the restoration of the Meiji emperor; there's a lot of material to work with. The (Assassin) Shinsengumi versus (Templar) Imperial forces would also be a neat way to show that sometimes the Assassin's goals don't really end up working out for the best.

Japanese-occupied Manchuria or Shanghai would be a great setting too, but the time period would probably be too controversial for them to go for it.

Suriko on
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    It can be the oddest things that make you not want to play a game.

I've recently started up Liberation on the PC, but the fact that if you run from muggers as the Lady, guards chase and attack you instead of them, has really put me off playing any more of it. I don't know why that ruins so much for me.

Also, I want an Assassin's Creed set during the Danish-Swedish wars of 1658-60. But that's mostly just for me.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Liberate those muggers.

From their lives.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I hope that they'll not just rinse and repeat the basic assassin gameplay. If I had any say in the matter, I'd have them go back to the very first game that at least played with the idea of you having to plan your assassinations carefully and allowing for approaches that actually result in different gameplay. Also, I hope they do more with the ambivalence of the assassins, showing that they easily become the dark shadowy version of the Templars while pretending to be their opposites.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Here's a rather interesting (3 part) documentary about the French monarchy in the leadup to the revolution. Has an unusual take on Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette, which casts them more as victims of circumstance pressured by a hostile court rather than unsympathetic nobility living in the bubble of Versailles. It would be neat if the game pursued this, or at least have the main character spend some time in Versailles to humanise them a little.

Warning: the first and second episodes have brief portions that are NSFW.

Suriko on
  • Options
    shorttiminshorttimin regular Registered User regular
    I just recently picked up Black Flag after feeling burned by Ubisoft following Revelations and AC3. All is right with the world now!

Honestly, I can't remember having this much fun in AssCreed. The sailing, the optional objectives, the main character, the world, even the modern day stuff is some of the best I've seen in the series. The only thing I miss is the architecture from the famous cities and the butt-puckering heights you could climb to. Hopefully with AC:V, we'll get that back as well. It might be the reason I get a next gen system.

Also, I seem to be in the camp that puts AC:3 as one of the worst in the series for a lot of the same reasons as others. For me it goes AC:IV=AC2=AC:B>AC1>AC:R>AC3 Thinking of AC3 it reminds me of my favorite story about how that game frustrated me.

There's an assassination mission where you have to cross a small lake/climb a mountain to get to your target before his meeting is finished and the optional was about not being seen, I think. Makes sense, I like the stealth options. What ticked me off was that once I made it all the way to the back of the mansion the target is having the meeting in front of, and I'm about to jump on top of the mansion to do an air assassinate from the roof, a cutscene starts. And when the cutscene is complete, I'm no longer a tree branch away from the roof, I'm hiding in a bush, twenty yards to the left of the mansion with a patrol in front of me and a time limit to assassinate the target! I couldn't believe it! I missed the time limit cause I was shocked.

With all the good will AC:IV has brought back, I'm tempted to play through 1 to 3 again.

Also, if anyone is still playing multiplayer, this would be the first game I'm willing to really try it. My GT is L4ZY3YE, @Morninglord I'd really appreciate being able to play with some PA bros.

• Options
    GT = Gamer Tag? I should stick it in the 360 list? Sorry I don't have an xbox.

• Options
    GT = Gamer Tag? I should stick it in the 360 list? Sorry I don't have an xbox.

Oh yeah, sorry. I reread the OP (went through the entire thread from the beginning when I picked up AC:IV, forgot about the meta tag)

That's my Uplay ID too as well. I don't know how to add friends on Uplay, have to dig around. Some of these Kenway's Fleet times are ridiculous

• Options
    I added it to Uplay.

• Options
    I've been having so much fun with Black Flag (although the story is suddenly the death of fun...) that I finally went and bought Bloodlines (the PSP one) on the cheap so that I can stab people on the crapper (but not in the crapper ifyaknowwhatImean). It's kind of horrifying/amazing to see AC on a much more primitive system. The guards agro when you run and lose track of you when you do 'prayer hands' for Pete's sake!

It was then that I realized that ALL of the prior AC games were on the 360/Ps3 gen. Kind of shocking to realize how long it was. If the dual game rumor is true, I wonder if this year's will be the last one for 360. Will they give it a good send off? Hopefully it'll be worthwhile, otherwise Black Flag would have been a great place to end the generation honestly.

• Options
    I think the ad for AC: Unity only had the X1, PS4 and PC listed for platforms, so I'm guessing Black Flag is the last on this gen.

I'm ok with that, an AC on next gen would probably be enough to make me buy one. I'm drooling at the thought of seeing entire cities laid out before me with no fog or popin.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    No that's what he was talking about. The rumour was that there were 2 AC games in development, unity as well as a last gen one.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Fists of DissentFists of Dissent Registered User regular
    After finishing Black Flag I went ahead and bought the Heritage collection, and after playing all of the series up to 3 one after the other I have to say the AC3 is the one that I like best so far. It could've been more polished, but when the game picks up it absolutely soars.

However, running through the entire series I came to realize that you can't really know what to expect from the next game coming out, narrative-wise, so you just have to keep your mind open, I think that even when the narratives aren't exactly the kind that people have to been expecting to see, they've still been excellent. In short, as much as I want to see Unity cast members of the Assassin Order as part of the antagonists, I'm not pinning my hopes on it.

T3NT0NH4MM3R.jpg
  • Options
    Spoit wrote: »
    No that's what he was talking about. The rumour was that there were 2 AC games in development, unity as well as a last gen one.

Oh I thought that Black Flag was the one that was cross platform and after this one it was all next gen.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited March 2014
    Spoit wrote: »

Oh I thought that Black Flag was the one that was cross platform and after this one it was all next gen.

Black Flag was probably the last cross-platform one.

This year, they will make an AC game only for XBO/PS4/PC, and an AC game for 360/PS3/PC/WiiU(?)... and they will be two different games altogether.

Supposedly.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Ohhhhhh. Well, if they come out together, I can hang with the 360 one until I bite the bullet on an X1. I wonder how they'll work the stories. Simultaneous and from different viewpoints? If they put "vital" info about the story in one game or the other, people will be peeved, I imagine.

• Options
    One will be Assassins, the other will be Templars.
    This is purely wild ass guessing on my part.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I wouldn't mind a templar game

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    That sounds too cool to be a 360/PS3 gen only game.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Woah I was totally calling this.
    If the "different game for 360/Ps3" thing is still true, then THAT could be a more naval intensive game. The problem is what time period could possibly one up the golden age of piracy for naval combat? And a direct sequel would be tough considering Black Flag covers the whole thing.

Assuming the rumor is true of course. I didn't think of making a direct sequel that's STILL prior to 3, that does make some sense. A couple of important considerations though.

1) Will they make North America more exciting and less of a boring ass flat expanse with various trees and rocks as the high point?
    2) Will they make Connor look EVEN WORSE in comparison to his dad? (The answer is 100% yes.)
    3) They've mentioned Adewale, but is the timeline workable to have Aveline too? (I'm guessing no.) What about Achilles? (Definitely yes if they want.)
    4) What possible present day world hook will there be this time? It'd be kind of cool if you worked for Erudito as a possible idea...
    5) Could they make your fleet actually show up to fight with you in certain battles? Because that would be awesome.
    6) Would they gimp this one to make Unity seem cooler by comparison (or will Unity be the gimped one based on vastly less experience with the new platform?)
    7) I don't really care, but will this one be PC too? It might be a bad sign if they don't bother with a PC port.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    I was completely bored with that rumor until I got to the templar part.

Do want now. Want very bad.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Sadly it seems to be fake. This is the person who was claimed as the "leaker".

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/864238-Assassin-s-Creed-Comet-Leaked-Documents?s=557c6b99c7fbcc4a1a60b579b4392069&p=9888479&viewfull=1#post9888479
    Mr_Shade wrote:
    I'm here..

But I'm not commenting on every single thing you guys find..

Ubisoft does not comment on rumours or speculation

Common sense and the community will prevail - however - I did not post that.. [so there's your answer really]

• Options
    Sadly it seems to be fake. This is the person who was claimed as the "leaker".

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/864238-Assassin-s-Creed-Comet-Leaked-Documents?s=557c6b99c7fbcc4a1a60b579b4392069&p=9888479&viewfull=1#post9888479
    Mr_Shade wrote:
    I'm here..

But I'm not commenting on every single thing you guys find..

Ubisoft does not comment on rumours or speculation

Common sense and the community will prevail - however - I did not post that.. [so there's your answer really]

Thank goodness. The Templar part would've been neat, but the rest was not what I'd been hoping for.

Here's to hoping Greece versus Persia, Carthage versus Rome, or Russo-Japanese War naval battles. Something naval, but also very different to AC3/IV.

• Options
    Assassin's Creed 4's Season Pass (and all the related content) AND Assassin's Creed Liberation HD are on sale on 360! I picked up both since I'd been waiting.

The timing was great, as I've just recently cleared the campaign of 4 and was making the rounds of the last handful of challenges. Making 2000 Reales in games is just annoying, the Intermediate players in each game seem to be able to easily school me. Worse is the Royal Convoys, I can't seem to find any for the life of me and my friends list isn't playing this game, so no help there.

As far as the Legendary Ship battles, I found the Dual Man of Wars to be the most challenging and exciting. The Ghost Ship was just a standard battle, I stayed close so he wasn't able to lose me and I put out too much DPS for his admittedly strong attack to finish me off first. I'd been forewarned about the Ramming ship, so I fought it very very very aggressively. Mortars, ram it as it tries to ram me, heavy shot as it passes, barrels and mortars if it's anywhere close, QUICK turn, and repeat. The super heavy ship I just pestered with alternating charges to ram + heavy shot and then mortaring it as I ran away. The Dual Ships were by far the most difficult. My first battle I ran out of mortars after using too many on the first ship and was killed in passing by the second. The second battle I had two health bars as the first ship sank and a decent amount of mortar. However, I realized too late that the second ship goes berserker at the loss of its... lover(?) and starts chasing and ramming you at the point you kill the first one and was quickly scuttled. The third battle went much the same, I was prepared for the ramming, but realized it DGAF about barrels because Reasons. The fourth, successful battle, I split the damage between the two, bringing them both down to red before killing either at the cost of a great deal of health. Once they were both weak, I quickly sank the first ship and then put everything I had into the second as it went insane and charged in to kill me. I won with like 1 pip of the ship health left. Now if only I could find a Royal Convoy or 3 to put my super charge ram to use...

As far as Freedom Cry, it starts very strong. I like the shift in objective and weapon set, it immediately gives the same mechanics a different feel. Hopefully the plot holds up its end and they keep the optional objectives solid and the eavesdropping to a minimum.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    About the ramming. If you brace just before impact the damage is mostly negated. Which is fair, since when they decided to ram they suddenly turn like schooners and accelerate like they're got rockets tied to their asses. So fuck em.
    Big ships might have had high top speed but they didn't accelerate or turn like that.
    I would run away from them, then let the ramming ships ram me while I was bracing, then drop all sails so I fell behind them and spend the rest of their life pumping chain shot into them and ramming them until they died.
    Infinite stun.

You know the ship that is just all ram all day?
    That thing rose up on its tail like a fucking dolphin, span 90% instantly and brought the ram down on my ship which had managed to completely bypass it. My face: :|

At that point I knew they'd thrown all the sailing stuff out the window and they were just arcadey bosses.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Making 2000 Reales in games is just annoying, the Intermediate players in each game seem to be able to easily school me. Worse is the Royal Convoys, I can't seem to find any for the life of me and my friends list isn't playing this game, so no help there.

Checkers is by far the easiest of the three games. Fuck FUCK FUCK Nine Man's Morris.

I feel your pain over Royal Convoys. I need just one more to finish the Abstergo challenges, but it's not appearing. I've looked up maps online, but still no dice.

kyrcl.png