As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Assassin's Creed] Syndicate is out and is apparently pretty damn good

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    All excuses about workload are garbage. If they wanted it enough they would do it anyway. They don't want it enough.
    That's the end of it.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    I got no complaints about reusing animations.

Didn't Shepard in mass effect reuse the male ones? I remember her not constantly shaking her ass as she walked. It was nice and unusually dignified.

Might be thinking of another game though.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    It's more of an "everyone plays as Arno" thing than a "no female options" thing. It reminds me of the Halo games where everyone is the Master Chief in co-op.

I'd be upset if there were four unique co-op characters and none of them were female.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    This seems ambitious and backwards and lazy at the same time.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Arteen wrote: »
    It's more of an "everyone plays as Arno" thing than a "no female options" thing. It reminds me of the Halo games where everyone is the Master Chief in co-op.

I'd be upset if there were four unique co-op characters and none of them were female.

I don't know why we can't have our own avatar in MP. Seems dumb.

Plus, the previous AC games always had females in Multi and nothing seemed wrong with their animations.

JusticeforPluto on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    The fact that there aren't female co-op avatars in Unity is so unfathomable to me I haven't even bothered to think about it yet. It's pretty stupid and unjustifiable.

I mean, my female cousin - 12 years my junior - was the person who introduced me to the ORIGINAL Assassin's Creed.

Then again, Ubisoft is a French company which is an extremely sexist culture so whatever.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Watch_Dogs (also by Ubi!) does the exact same thing; in multiplayer you look like Aiden, and your opponents are all random NPC models. It works there due to the whole aspect of being invaded at any moment, but it sounds like the Co Op stuff in AC Unity is going to be instances anyway. So why not just make it a separate mode where you pick a multiplayer character? :P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Drez wrote: »
    The fact that there aren't female co-op avatars in Unity is so unfathomable to me I haven't even bothered to think about it yet. It's pretty stupid and unjustifiable.

I mean, my female cousin - 12 years my junior - was the person who introduced me to the ORIGINAL Assassin's Creed.

Then again, Ubisoft is a French company which is an extremely sexist culture so whatever.

Completely anecdotal, but Assassin's Creed has the second largest following of female gamers I know outside of Bioware RPGs. All the women in my class who gamed had play the Assassin's Creed series. My gut tells me this is a large portion of their fanbase they are telling to piss off.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Maybe, in Assassin's Creed Unity, there are no more swords or guns or anything and you just shoot lasers out of your dick to assassinate enemies.

That's the only plausible explanation.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I really enjoyed the combat in AC3, and I thought so much more could have been done with that setting. Jefferson and Hamilton being completely omitted was so bizarre. And Connor was a Native, but they didn't really do very much with it aside from his sort of brother thing with the Chubby

• Options
    Maybe, in Assassin's Creed Unity, there are no more swords or guns or anything and you just shoot lasers out of your dick to assassinate enemies.

That's the only plausible explanation.

Assassin's Creed: Blood Dragon?

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Sorry to dig up an old post, but I figured you guys could help me out. I just picked up AC4 for 360 off of a sale from Gamefly, got it for $14. Problem is, I can't connect to the Ubisoft servers at all. Does this info from @syndalis work on 360 also? I want to know before I go messing around in my router's settings, considering it's not my router.
    syndalis wrote: »
    pawa24 wrote: »
    My NAT on my router is set to open. However sometimes my xbox says its on strict. Not sure how to change it on the xbox one.

the xbox is where it counts. What I would do is set a static IP on your xbox one in network settings, make the gateway your router's IP address, set the DNS to 8.8.8.8 (google's DNS server - it's p great), then go on your router config page and open up these ports for the xbox one's new IP address.
    • Port 88 (UDP)
    • Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
    • Port 53 (UDP and TCP)
    • Port 80 (TCP)
    • Port 500 (UDP)
    • UDP Port 3544 (UDP)
    • UDP Port 4500 (UDP)

This should fix any networking issues you may be having.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Is the Bastille Day trailer supposed to be in-game? Cos if so hot damn

I like that its trying to return to its roots a bit and do a proper, upgraded kind of rethink of its original formula. Im confident that they wont ignore the success of pirating in future sequels though.

As beautiful as this game looks, im getting kind of sick of the renaissance and enlightenment eras. Im hoping they do something ancient next.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Completely anecdotal, but Assassin's Creed has the second largest following of female gamers I know outside of Bioware RPGs. All the women in my class who gamed had play the Assassin's Creed series. My gut tells me this is a large portion of their fanbase they are telling to piss off.

My gut is an eternal optimist, and so thinks that the only way they could actually botch handling it this badly is if it involves plot spoilers.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    People say thoughtless things a lot without realising just how much of a shit storm it will create.

Half the time, in public relations, the reason isn't the reason. It's the reason they thought up on the spot to not tell you the real reason, which they can't do for some reason.
    Halp I can't stop saying reason.

Anyway, the point is, everyone takes these statements as representative of the company and every person in it. With ubisoft, that is absurd. They are a ridiculously large multinational corporation with teams all over the globe.
    That's why it becomes a shitstorm, because a giant company, as a whole, can't defend itself from a single employee's idiocy. Or even a single teams. It all gets caught up in the bureaucracy of the middle management.
    Whether or not to respond to the criticism, or issue an apology, or quietly change things without telling anyone, or just weather it out and wait until the internet forgets.
    All that doesn't get decided from the viewpoint of the entire company. It gets decided from the viewpoint of the team currently working on the game.

And with this series it's even more complicated because completely different teams have worked on the different games. They clearly share resources and design ideas, but it's doubtful that they share enough to consider them the same way you would a small scale dev team of, say, 50 people, who always works on the games their company produces together.

That's why you get contradictory stuff like Aveline and then this statement. Because the circumstances and people involved are actually different even though it is the same company.

I thought it was a very silly statement and think badly of the dev who said it. But I doubt that it actually reflects anything about the values and beliefs of the entire company and everyone in it.

That's also why I don't think you should look to black flag as an indication of the quality of this next game. You can't just...look at the previous game and think "oh the next one will be the same again" because (once more and with feeling) different teams.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    Morninglord I am surprised that you understand corporate bureaucracy as well as you do game mechanics

although I guess they are both dehumanizing systems so you feel right at home :neutral_face:

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I mean, he is a robot, after all...

• Options
    I'm a robot who studied psychology. Fear me.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Assassin’s Creed Memories Announced

ACM_Keyart_SL_1405612461.jpg
    History has always been your playground in Assassin’s Creed. Now, with Assassin’s Creed Memories, you’ll be able to travel through time, building up your Assassin’s guild. Through a unique blend of RPG, strategy and card battle elements, you will recruit famous allies and take on rival players. This free-to-play adventure will be available soon on iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch.

With an array of different Assassins to play with, Assassin’s Creed Memories will allow you to revisit familiar periods in time like Colonial America and Rennaissance Italy, as well as new and unexplored eras. Thanks to the in-depth customization, players will be able to create an Assassin and choose allies that will benefit their strategy and playstyle. In addition to a rich single-player experience, you can also engage in multiplayer combat with up to 20 players on each side.

Ubisoft has partnered with GREE and PlayNext for Assassin’s Creed Memories. “The card battle genre has been hugely popular around the world and GREE and PlayNext have demonstrated their know-how and expertise on such games. With such expertise, we really believe they’re bringing a great new way to enjoy the richness of the Assassin’s Creed universe to mobile players,” says Jean Michel Detoc, Managing Director, Ubisoft Mobile Division.

“We are passionate about creating great experiences for mobile players and we have applied all of our learnings and success with past games to Assassin’s Creed Memories,” says JT Nguyen, Chief Operating Officer, PlayNext, Inc. “We want to capture all the excitement and beauty of Assassin’s Creed and apply it to a completely new experience for mobile players.”

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Son, of a BITCH! They teased me with Samurai assassin in the photo then I learn its some sort of CCG.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Oh look, four much more interesting Assassins then Arno.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    And I am the only one really bothered by every French person in Unity speaking with a British accent? Because it's driving me nuts. Think I'll play it in French with subs.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Center left looks like the Master Edward met in 4.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Far left might be an older Anne Bonney, not sure. But yeah, center left looks a lot like Ah Tabai. Anyway, I'm super torn about Unity. Black Flag was fantastic, and I dig the new and improved parkour mechanics we've seen, but holy shit there's a lot bad in this package.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    yeah normally it doesnt bother me but they had ezio with like an italian accent, why not an english speaker with a french accent?

• Options
    It's really weird, because Ubisoft is a French company.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Hey look, a female character! I wonder if the cards depicting women are harder to animate. /cheapshot

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    And I am the only one really bothered by every French person in Unity speaking with a British accent? Because it's driving me nuts. Think I'll play it in French with subs.

Was joking with a British co-worker about how Revolutionary France experienced a massive Cockney influx because obviously it seemed like a great immigration choice at the time.

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    It's really weird, because Ubisoft is a French company.
    Yeah, or they could just hire some of the Heavy Rain voice talent, because they can add French Canadian accents to every line of dialogue.

• Options
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    1) Raise your hand if you just rolled your eyes when they claimed the rumors (that accurately predicted this game) were totally made up. Why do they bother with that...
    2) I was about to complain that we'd be a Templar at first and then discover the Assassins were the best after all... but the specifics of this trailer make that significantly less likely.

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    That's...the quietest announcement for a "big" AC game that's ever been made I think

Also, last gen only, no PC. Hmmm. Hmmm. Better wait for reviews on this one.

Although it gets major points for featuring a templar perspective.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    Fina-fucking-lee.

I've been wanting this game for a long time, ever since 2.

• Options
    Wait...what? No PC?

Motherfuckers.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Typical Ubisoft.

Sometimes I wonder why PC folks give Ubisoft the time of day after how many times they've dick PC users over.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I'd be genuinely surprised if the game didn't eventually get a PC release. It might not come out at the same time as the console versions. Maybe the release date is too close to Assassin's Creed Unity and they want to space it out.

• Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Yeah, I was 110% excited for Unity until I heard that in multiplayer we are all Arno. Like that's all it took to make me not give a shit.

Why? Just... why? Like, excluding female character bullshit... why... like don't they know people are into this sort of thing?

And with the templar game, as DOA as it will be thanks to last-gen and no-pc, maybe, just maybe we can move form 'Assassins GUD! Templars BAD!' dichotomy to something more like oh hey these two groups just have different philosophies.

But like... everything I suggested is too reasonable to be implemented I guess.

Don't get me started on the shit they do against PC users. I swear to god if I have to mod FarCry 4 to make it look halfway like the trailer (ala Watch Dogs) I may kill someone.

EDIT: Sorry. Just ubisoft pushes all of my buttons. I like them even less than EA now.

OpposingFarce on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    If they bothered porting the vita one, I'm sure they'll do this one down the line too

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm going to wait for the current gen relaunch of Rouge.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    So it's Haytham Kenway right?

Because if not then why the fuck not?

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705